• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Four Beat Canter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Beat Canter

I'm doing some personal research about gaits, and I have a technical question about the Four Beat canter.

The foot falls of a true three beat canter look like this:

Left lead- RH : LH-RF : LF
    Right lead- LH : RH-LF : RF

In the four beat canter, the diagonal pair of inside hind and outside fore, don't hit the ground at the same time as they do in the true canter.

What I'm looking into, is that there are apparently two different kinds of four beat canters.

Here are the two different four beat canters using the Left Lead as an example:

1) RH : LH lands just before the RF : LF

2) RH : RF lands just before the LH : LF

Do these two different four beat canters have different names?

And what are the typical reasons why a horse might do one type or the other?

I'm not sure as to why a horse might have each incorrect type of canter. It could be bad training or simply bad gaits to start with.

The second exemple is called lateral canter though. I think because each lateral pair of feet move together. (RH/RF and LH/LF)
    Via SillyHorse: "Honey, if you paid that much for a 'clinic', you are the gold plated sucker."
    The self-proclaimed old-thread-reader.

Comment

In my limited experience, I have found that Option 1 tends to come about as an evasion from the horse. When the rider is trying to collect, and instead of engaging more, the horse slows down it's tempo until it becomes a four beat canter.

While on the other hand, Option 2 is usually a fault in the horse's basic paces. That is a lateral canter, and in this canter, there is minimal jump in the canter.

Now don't quote me on this, because this is only from personal experience.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Eventer90210 View Post
        I'm not sure as to why a horse might have each incorrect type of canter. It could be bad training or simply bad gaits to start with.

The second exemple is called lateral canter though. I think because each lateral pair of feet move together. (RH/RF and LH/LF)
        Thank you!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Xpression View Post
          In my limited experience, I have found that Option 1 tends to come about as an evasion from the horse. When the rider is trying to collect, and instead of engaging more, the horse slows down it's tempo until it becomes a four beat canter.

While on the other hand, Option 2 is usually a fault in the horse's basic paces. That is a lateral canter, and in this canter, there is minimal jump in the canter.

Now don't quote me on this, because this is only from personal experience.
          I'm hoping someone may confirm this, because this is exactly the type of information I am looking for.

Thank you!

Comment

Option 1 is the footfall for a "gallop"

IMO, option 2 is what happens when the horse is improperly ridden in collection, gets slow, but not balanced, too heavy in front still, and not quick enough behind. Think QH lope.

Sometimes you see young horses with super forward and uphill canters that technically are doing type 1 four beating. Also #1 happens in the canter pirouettes.

Comment

Lateral canters are common in gaited horses- they gait in four beats...so a three beat canter is hard on their brains. My big SSH mare has a very lateral canter- push her ON and Go ON Maggie and she'll trust herself and do it...but those first few strides it's like sitting on a horse with oars instead of legs

Option one is from bad training .

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalDressage View Post

IMO, option 2 is what happens when the horse is improperly ridden in collection, gets slow, but not balanced, too heavy in front still, and not quick enough behind. Think QH lope.

Sometimes you see young horses with super forward and uphill canters that technically are doing type 1 four beating. Also #1 happens in the canter pirouettes.
                So what happens if the horse is doing the footfalls for a gallop, but is moving at a 'working/collected' canter pace?

Comment

OK, I'll put my hand up here...

My horse developed a lateral canter after he tied up very badly and ended up with damaged muscles in his hindquarters, and it's been a bugger to eradicate.

He's sound, but weak behind, and I think the lateral canter is just easier for him, especially as we ask for more collection. I have to focus very hard to keep him really straight.

We can be going fabulously at home, then go to a show where we are both more stressed, lose that focus, and up it pops. And we get (quite rightly) hammered for it on our gait scores.

I'm learning that absolute straightness is the key. Hard work though. I've never had a horse I've had to think so hard on! Totally worth it if I get it right.

Comment

http://nicholnl.wcp.muohio.edu/Dingo...deContent.html

Comment

Option 1 is also what you see in the canter pirouette.

The only time I have personally seen Option 2 is in a dressage show warm-up. It always looked to me like the horse was troting behind and cantering in front. (Ive seen this at least tqice this year and always very begineer type situations - begineer rider and trainer)

Comment

Option number 2 lateral canter is what my horse came with off the track. I don't know if it was his natural gait (leaning towards this) or if it's something he learned at the track (tension related maybe?). It took a LOT of time and learning on my part as a rider to fix it, but it is gone now. It took a lot of strength on his part to hold together a good 3 beat canter. The lateral canter still shows up when he's had some time off and loses strength, or once in a while if he's tired or tense, but otherwise his canter work is great.
                        Gallant Gesture "Liam" 1995 chestnut ottb gelding
                        Mr. Painter "Remy" 2006 chestnut ottb gelding
                        My Training Blog: www.dressagefundamentals.com

Comment

Paul Belasik talks about the old masters using a four beat canter to develope these things. With the modern day focus on gaits it's almost always considered incorrect. Of course, I would think, not too many of us would know how to use it without really confusing or taking the chance of ruining the natural canter.
                          Groom to trainer: "Where's the glamour? You promised me glamour!"

Comment

Paul Belasik talks about the old masters using a four beat canter to develope these things. With the modern day focus on gaits it's almost always considered incorrect. Of course, I would think, not too many of us would know how to use it without really confusing or taking the chance of ruining the natural canter.
                            Groom to trainer: "Where's the glamour? You promised me glamour!"

Comment

Originally posted by GallantGesture View Post
                              Option number 2 lateral canter is what my horse came with off the track. I don't know if it was his natural gait (leaning towards this) or if it's something he learned at the track (tension related maybe?). It took a LOT of time and learning on my part as a rider to fix it, but it is gone now. It took a lot of strength on his part to hold together a good 3 beat canter. The lateral canter still shows up when he's had some time off and loses strength, or once in a while if he's tired or tense, but otherwise his canter work is great.
                              No I'm unclear of what a lateral canter is - I was thinking of a lateral canter as: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jD-7qRHSCw but the footfalls are not like option 2???

Comment

You can get a 4 beat canter when the footfall in front is delayed by extra time spent off the ground whilst turning in a pirouette.
                                Also,when the horse has DAP in the trot,where the front foot lands marginally after the diagonal hind,that DAP will still be evident in the canter,where the inside hind and outside fore leg are actually still in the trot sequence.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank everyone for all the good info.

One of my interests on this subject, is using observations at the canter of either the inside hind, or outside fore leg landing on the ground before the other, and considering that as an indicator of possible causes of lameness.

Anyone have any interesting lameness stories that caused a horse to canter in four beats with the inside-hind/outside-fore foot falls tending to land on either the fore or hind first?

Comment

On the H/J thread, the video of Rhumba was offered as an example of a lateral canter, which is:

Rhumba:
                                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaKaLwvIOCg

It appears that Rhumba's canter is:

RH : RF : Brief Moment of Suspension : LH : LF

A four beat canter, which has the same footfalls as a gallop but without the speed, is essentially a canter with minimal jump. This is my new horse, who has suffered through a lot of bad rides, and now has a tendency to go four beat. (Sorry the video is such bad quality, I took it on my phone, sitting on the arena ledge):

http://www.youtube.com/user/FaceOfTh.../0/a5ghITvnnHU

His footfalls are:

I'm tempted to say that it looks as of his RH and LF do not leave the ground enough to have a true moment of suspension, and that is what causes the four beat.

Your thoughts?

Comment

• Original Poster

On the H/J thread, the video of Rhumba was offered as an example of a lateral canter, which is:

Rhumba:

A four beat canter, which has the same footfalls as a gallop but without the speed, is essentially a canter with minimal jump. This is my new horse, who has suffered through a lot of bad rides, and now has a tendency to go four beat. (Sorry the video is such bad quality, I took it on my phone, sitting on the arena ledge):

His footfalls are:

I'm tempted to say that it looks as of his RH and LF do not leave the ground enough to have a true moment of suspension, and that is what causes the four beat.

Your thoughts?
                                      If your horse jogs sound and there are no suspicions of lameness.

Then, as others had suggested over in the HJ version of this thread, I'd say a horse who four beats with the hind landing first may possibly be doing so due to a lack of impulsion or improper training.

This is what I see with the western pleasure horses that are backed off the bridle too much when training them to lope.

Just an idea, but perhaps working him more forwards with a very light contact, and giving more to him with more elastic shoulders, elbows and hands.

I think I'd rather see him moving more like a hunter first, working on developing impulsion and the purity of the gate, and then bring him more into the bridle after he understands what forward means first.
                                      Last edited by alterhorse; Aug. 2, 2011, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Rhumba:

His footfalls are:

Your thoughts?
                                        Well, I could definitely be wrong, but IMO, your horse is actually demonstrating type 2 (front touching before hind) canter footfalls, not 1.

It's always tricky to tell, but I watched and freeze framed a few different moments, and rewatched many times and I see him putting down the LF down before the RH. IMO, for this horse, it looks to stem from a lack of impulsion. Lack of impulsion is why there is not enough jump in his canter.

I think there can be several reasons why "type 1" occurs. It was found that the best scoring young horses were actually demonstrating this type of canter instead of a true 3 beat canter. I think it can be similar to DAP in trot. I also think that horses with super free shoulders can demonstrate this, maybe because of the freedom, the horse's "path" that the whole foreleg makes is longer, therefore it's touching the ground later. Just a thought though.

Comment

Working...
                                        X