• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dressage Barns California

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dressage Barns California

I'm looking to put together a 'sales trip' (for myself) in California. Does anyone have any recommendations for barns in California with 4th Level/PSG horses for sale? Preferably around the San Jose area.. the more horses to try, the better!
    Looking for quality horses that would be competitive at national championships.

Thank you!

http://www.dgbarranch.com/
    A bit out of the way of San Jose but they have nice horses to offer.
    Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

Comment

Heidi Gaian and her mom are in Hollister, just south of San Jose. They're not cheap horses, but she has very legit horses, and she's a very good rider and trainer. http://vrdressage.com/ I'm sure she could also point you to some very good resources if she doesn't have what you need.

Liz Searle and Jeff Moore are also south of there in San Juan Bautista, and though I don't think they have many riding horses, they may be a good resource. http://www.osierlea.org/index.html They sort of are associated with Dr. Deb Harrison who breeds Dutch horses and Chelsey Sibley has ridden a lot of her horses. Mostly she has yougn ones, but may be a resource. She's in San Juan Bautista, also. http://www.liolomasdutchwarmbloods.com/ I don't think Chelsey has any horses, but, again, she may be a good resource.

You might also want to look at BAEN to see what's for sale in there, as it's N. CA based, and get some ideas who to talk to. http://www.bayequest.info/

Comment

There are several within travel range of San Jose. Check out, Christiane Noelting Dressage Center in Vacaville, Michael Etherly Dressage in Wilton, & I agree with checking out Chelsey Sibley. DG Bar has some very nice horses as well. Good luck!
        http://www.tamarawiththecamera.com

Comment

hey stripes, whatcha doin? if you are wondering who I am, violeta del valle is my clue!

arabsrock

Comment

ditto Osierlea, Dr Harrison and Chelsea Sibley. And ditto DG BAr.

Comment

Thomas Walker Dressage in Nipomo. He's on the way from San Jose and DGBar

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by rizzodm View Post
                http://www.dgbarranch.com/
                A bit out of the way of San Jose but they have nice horses to offer.
                For some reason I was under the impression that Willy just imports/breeds young horses? Am I mistaken?

Comment

http://www.dgbarranch.com/horsesales/
                  There are some riding horses, but maybe not what you're looking for. Make sure you have a thorough vet check. They aren't very close. It's a 3 hour drive from San Jose to Hanford. 3 1/2 to Nipomo. If you're going that way, might as well go over the Grapevine and to LA and look at horses there. Leslie Webb is in Bakersfield, but it doesn't look like she has any sale horses. http://www.lesliewebb.com/ (4 hour drive.)

Comment

• Original Poster

What is the dressage capital of Cali? I only chose San Jose because I found a horse there that I would really like to see.

Comment

Definitely DG Bar Ranch and I certainly wouldn't go by what's on the website because Willy constantly gets new horses of all levels in.

Call him and he'll tell you what's available.
                      Siegi Belz
                      www.stalleuropa.com
                      2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
                      Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Comment

Originally posted by Xpression View Post
                        What is the dressage capital of Cali?
                        Definitely down in LA and San Diego from Malibu down to Del Mar/Rancho Santa Fe.

That said, you have gotten some good names to start with. What you are looking for will probably be found via word of mouth.
                        On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

Comment

If you're interested in heading down to the San Diego area I know of several places to recommend.

Comment

AS PP said, south. San Jose is not a central dressage area. The bay area has a lot of dressage and you can find what you want, but it's not as organized. LA starting north I know Hilda is in Moorpark, Leslie Moore and I think Guenter are more near LAEC, Steffen by San Diego. South you will get a lot more--more money, more horses, more Olympic and international level riders.

You might also want to check with Nadine Pestana. Her daughter won the young riders last year and she works with Denny Callin to bring in horses, so she might have a horse for you or a line on one. She's in Livermore.
                            http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...ival-champions

Comment

More FEI horses in So-Cal, but there are many nice horses and wonderful FEI trainers in Nor-Cal as well. You might want to spend a few days in each area.

Nadine is in Nor-Cal. You will also find some sales barns (such as Gail McGuffy), and some trainers such as Mike Etherly, Heidi Gaian, Lilo Fore, Tonya Vik, Christiane Noelting, Liz Hendrix, Ann/Sandy Howard, etc who often have sales horses in their barns or who might have some leads for you.

Willy (DG Bar) is always worth contacting for Dutch horses - the website is never complete, they have a lot of top quality horses coming and going. He is in Central CA - a bit out of the way, but definately worth a phone call - and there are some other trainers/sellers in the central coast area that are worth talking to.

So-Cal, many good names already mentioned. I'd also throw out a former Nor-Cal trainer, Sue Eoff, who often has a nice selection of horses at various levels.

Check Bay Area Equestrian Network and Southern California Equestrian Network and CDS Newsletters for some ads, and perhaps filter Warmbloods For Sale by location? With the down economy, many horses aren't advertised - so it may take making some cold-calls to find out what is really there.

One problem with shopping in California - it is a HUGE state - you can spend days traversing it. But it is hugely horse oriented, even Nor-Cal has several CDIs and multi-ring shows - you can find a show every other weekend without going very far.

Comment

Here's a not-complete listing of CDS breeders:
                                http://www.california-dressage.org/h...er_listing.htm

I was checking my belief that Chelsey Sibley was still in Sonora (she moved a couple of years ago: www.chelseysibley.com/) and noticed that Christine Rivlin is listing horses for sale.

They're both north east of San Jose (a couple of hours) ... more in the Lilo Fore/Christiane Noelting direction.

If I wanted to see a lot of national-quality horses for sale in a very short amount of time, I'd probably go to Southern California, though.
                                *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Comment

Just FYI, Chelsey is east in the Sierra Nevada foothills. Christine is in Petaluma, north of SF about 45 minutes, and Lilo is in Santa Rosa, about 15 minutes north of Petaluma. They are not near each. Just looking in the areas up here is a couple of long days driving, but it's beautiful!

Comment

Originally posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
                                    Just FYI, .... They are not near each. Just looking in the areas up here is a couple of long days driving, but it's beautiful!
                                    My aptitude for geography is limited to what's between A and C I lived on the Peninsula and for a really long time I got lost in the East Bay because I kept thinking of Oakland as "east of where I am".
                                    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Comment

Originally posted by atlatl View Post
                                      Thomas Walker Dressage in Nipomo. He's on the way from San Jose and DGBar
                                      Actually, he just moved to Sweden.

Comment

Originally posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
                                        Just FYI, Chelsey is east in the Sierra Nevada foothills. Christine is in Petaluma, north of SF about 45 minutes, and Lilo is in Santa Rosa, about 15 minutes north of Petaluma. They are not near each. Just looking in the areas up here is a couple of long days driving, but it's beautiful!
                                        I think the confusion is that Sonoma isn't that far from Petaluma. But SonoRa is in the foothills southeast of Stockton. And yes, Chesley is still there, she and her husband own the facility.

It is probably 3 hours from Sonora to Hanford (DG Bar) - they are both pretty isolated areas. But you can drive an hour from Sonora and get to Mike Etherly's, Starr Vaughn (sometimes they have higher level horses for sale), Luchetti Ranch (worth a call to see if Erika and Kevin have anything that far along), and Sandy Savage (who sometimes has 3rd/4th level horses for sale). Those four facilities are all within 10 minutes of each other. From there, you can hop back in the car and head for the Santa Rosa area - about a 2 hour drive, and stop on the way at Christiane Noeltings (about 1/2 way inbetween).

Comment

Working...
                                        X