• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Saddle fit to rider (photo)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddle fit to rider (photo)

I took out a saddle for a trial. How does it look? I know my stirrups can go down a hole or two but I'm not used to riding with such long stirrups. Does the seat look a bit too big?

Any comments are much appreciated.

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...C_0621-1-1.jpg

To me it looks like you are not sitting in the middle (lowest part of the saddle), you need to be sitting closer to the pommel. I am not sure if the saddle is causing you to sit that way but it is pitching you forward. I really like Kieffer but it definitely does not work for everyone, IME.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

Comment

seat size looks okay, but it'd be easier to tell if your stirrups were longer.

I prefer to have a saddle that's ½" shorter than a GP or jumping saddle for dressage.
      Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride, friendship without envy, or beauty without vanity? - The horse. (R.Duncan)

Comment

I agree with Bugs - your seat is not in the correct place in the saddle. It would be interesting to take a picture with your legs out of the stirrups - walk around the arena once with your legs out of the stirrups, relax, wiggle around a little, stretch down - then take the photo.

Comment

Are you a Hunter rider in a Dressage saddle? I ask because you are in that slightly inclined Hunter/Jumper position

I agree, you are scootched back, and need to slide your seat forward about 2" give or take. I'm not convinced, yet, your stirrup needs to be longer, but what does need to happen is your hip needs to open up.

I think if you scoot forward a bit, sit up straight, open your hips, and drop weight through your heels, you may find your stirrup length is just fine.

And do what dudley said

Comment

It looks like you could fit in the saddle with some alteration of your position. I know the title of your thread is "saddle fit to rider" but the pommel is quite high off your horse's back and that makes me question the fit of the saddle to the horse.
            The aids are the legs, the hands, the weight of the rider, the whip, the caress, the voice and the use of extraneous circumstances. ~ General Decarpentry
            www.reflectionsonriding.com

Comment

I think the higher pommel is the way the saddle is made (makes for easier fitting for higher-withered horses). Looking at the overall balance of the saddle, I don't at all think it is looking high because it's too narrow and sitting pommel-high

Comment

I agree with the previous posts but wanted to add that it may be the block on the front of the saddle that makes you want to sit with your seat so far back in the saddle. If you drop your stirrups and straighten up, you will find the middle of the saddle, but then if you pick your stirrups back up, your knee might have gone over the block, in which case the flap, not the seat, is your problem unless your hips have enough flexibility to allow you to ride with a longer stirrup. I don't think the stirrup length itself is a problem if that's where you are comfortable, but you might need a different flap size/shape to accommodate your thigh length. To make this saddle work, you might need to make the stirrup a touch longer and see how that changes things.
                Gallant Gesture "Liam" 1995 chestnut ottb gelding
                Mr. Painter "Remy" 2006 chestnut ottb gelding
                My Training Blog: www.dressagefundamentals.com

Comment

There are saddles that don't fit well but sit in level balance, without being pommel high/cantle low (including cutbacks). It's especially deceptive when cutbacks are placed on horses without high withers, since the clearance between wither and pommel, along with level balance, fulfills one of the "10 [or name-your-number] rules of saddle fitting."

Which is not to say that a cutback saddle can't be a good fit on a less-than-high-withered horse. But if the saddle is "perching" on the horse's back, as this one does, I question the fit. This degree of perching is often caused by a tree that is too narrow. To make sure that the tree isn't too narrow, have someone slide their hand under the panels while you're mounted and check for pinching, see if you feel any unnecessary saddle movement or rocking at all gaits, and keep checking your horse for soreness in the shoulder.
                  The aids are the legs, the hands, the weight of the rider, the whip, the caress, the voice and the use of extraneous circumstances. ~ General Decarpentry

Comment

I agree with what you just said, but I still see nothing that tells me this saddle is perching.

If a tree is too narrow, it will perch, but it will also sit pommel-high, unless there has been flocking added to the rear panels, or a bump/rear riser pad is being used. I don't see either in this picture

Comment

I doubt that JB and I will agree on whether the saddle perches or not, but it is my experience that saddles that are too narrow don't necessarily perch (especially if they're slightly or moderately too narrow) nor do they necessarily sit pommel high (especially if they're deep). It all depends on the saddle and the horse. Good luck with your search for the right saddle!

Comment

I would like to see a photo with the stirrups dropped down a hole. Your leg position could be pushing you to the back of the saddle.
                        Sheilah

Comment

Originally posted by easyrider View Post
                          I doubt that JB and I will agree on whether the saddle perches or not, but it is my experience that saddles that are too narrow don't necessarily perch (especially if they're slightly or moderately too narrow) nor do they necessarily sit pommel high (especially if they're deep). It all depends on the saddle and the horse. Good luck with your search for the right saddle!
                          I agree, neither of us can prove our thoughts from this one picture

By "pommel high" though,I really mean they won't sit level. The lowest point of the seat will be too close to the cantle. Simply looking at the pommel height in relation to the cantle height can often be very misleading, especially in Dressage saddles where some models have high-back chair cantles LOL Or have a cathedral shape to the pommel as it's made for high-withered horses, but also have a relatively low cantle.

Comment

Here's what I learned about taking saddles for trials - put some tube socks on those stirrup leathers so they don't scuff the saddle. Otherwise it will cost you when you return it Ask me how I know.

Paula
                            He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

Always ask the seller what the rules are for trying a saddle. Some don't have any requirements, knowing you can't really get a good trial if you're having to do "odd" things.

Comment

You are definitely not sitting correctly in this saddle, and I agree with a previous poster who suggested that you have a few pictures taken with your feet our of the stirrups. Your legs need to hang more straightly from your hips, and does mean a longer stirrup leather. It might in addition mean that your stirrup bars are too short, and that you need a longer bar that will set the stirrups back a little more. Cannot really tell on that until I see a picture with your body placed correctly. The seat size, itself, seems good, as does the balance of the saddle.

Comment

• Original Poster

I am a hunter rider in a dressage saddle so that could explain my position in this saddle. Part of this problem I believe is the huge blocks as I'm not used to having these this big. I feel like they push my upper leg backwards. I wish I had other photos but this was the only one I got.

As far as the fit to the horse this saddle does not fit her correctly. It is tiny bit too narrow for her but the back panels seem to be a good shape for her unlike many other saddles out there. I am not keeping this saddle.

BTW I didn't need to use tube socks. The owner was fine with me trying it out with the leathers.

I guess my search is still on for that perfect saddle. I thought a dressage saddle might end up fitting since I haven't had any luck with close contact saddles.

Comment

You got lots of good advice here.

When you get the next one, to assess rider fit...

1. When you mount, make sure it doesn't cause any new issues for the horse that you didn't notice on the ground (i.e. wither clearance, width of channel)

2. Don't pick up your stirrups. Stretch your leg down and long. Completely relax, letting your toes point down if thats what they do naturally.

3. Scoot to the front of the seat. Your seat will slide back into the natural sweet spot. Someone on the ground should be able to assess whether the sweet spot is a good balance for you or not.

4. Walk a few laps around the ring totally relaxed, still without stirrups.

5. If you feel comfortable, pick up sitting trot with your leg totally relaxed and feel how supportive (or not) the seat is of your natural, relaxed sitting trot position.

6. Pick up your stirrups and find a good length. Then assess how the blocks hit your leg. If you like a shorter stirrup, some blocks will definitely hit you in the wrong place.

7. If everything is still good, go ahead and ride in it.

Comment

Working...
                                    X