• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What to wear when jackets are waived?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to wear when jackets are waived?

I am competing at and Equine Canada "Gold" show this weekend, and given the extreme heat wave that we are experiencing in Ontario, I suspect that jackets will be waived. When jackets are waived, what is the correct shirt to wear. I have both short sleeved and sleeveless show shirts in a technical fabric with a zippered neck. Would these be acceptable? Do I still wear my stock tie and white gloves?
    www.saraalberni.com

I would wear the short sleeved shirt, no stock tie and black or white gloves. Usually no sleeveless shirts for shows down here.

Comment

Definitely no on sleeveless. Short sleeves are fine. No stock tie, but yes on the gloves. Wear the zipper part-way down like an open collar. You can wear a vest (like the Cool Medics ones). Colors need to be solid and conservative

Comment

Equine Canada:

ARTICLE E 4.1.7 EXTREME OR INCLEMENT WEATHER CONDITIONS
        In the case of inclement weather, competitors may wear a suitable
        protective hat cover and a warm or waterproof overcoat that is transparent
        or conservative in colour.
        In extreme heat or humidity, the steward may permit competitors to ride
        without jackets. When such permission is given, the steward must inform
        the judges In such a case, competitors must wear:
         ASTM/SEI or BSI approved protective headgear bowler, hunt cap,
        top hat.See E4.0 for appropriate headgear rule.
         Solid white, off-white or pale pastel coloured, long or short sleeve
        shirt with a collar
         Sleeveless shirts are not permitted
         Shirt collar may be opened
         Stock ties must be removed unless pinned to the rider’s shirt
         T-shirts are not permitted

Comment

It's important to know - if Canada is like the US, you will get eliminated if you try to wear the stock tie (apparently unless it's pinned to your shirt).

My trainer chooses to wear her coat even when they're waived, and puts it on right before entering the ring. I had a very nice TD come up while I was watching her warm up and ask if I knew her and if she was wearing her coat to compete, as it was against the rules to wear the stock tie without it. I had known you shouldn't, but that was the first I realized it's actually against the rules.
          Originally posted by Silverbridge
          If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

Also, for goodness sake, PLEASE wear a black belt AND tuck in your shirt.

There were a bunch of people at the show last weekend with their Coolmax shirts untucked (perhaps due to not having belts), and let's just say there is nothing more distracting while watching a test than wondering if someone's belly is about to make an obviously uninvited appearance.

Comment

And please, WEAR A WHITE BRA!
              2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
                And please, WEAR A WHITE BRA!
                Better yet, a skin toned bra, as white bras show more than some colors.

Pale pink even works better than white for me.
                If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

My mother always said beige bras under white...
                  http://essas-storm.blogspot.ca/ An OTTB rescue/project found me!

Comment

My trainer requires jackets, even if they are waived. If you choose to go with the jacket, bras, regardless of color, are optional, IMO.

Comment

And I was told by a judge last year that my shirt collar had to be open. I had taken the stock tie off but still had the shirt zipped up. She told me the collar had to be open.

Comment

Originally posted by Carol O View Post
                        My trainer requires jackets, even if they are waived.
                        This is mind boggling.
                        Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and sexual predator! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

Comment

If you choose to go with the jacket, bras, regardless of color, are optional, IMO.
                          Whaaaat?
                          Bras are never optional, jacket or no jacket.
                          THere's a girl (in her 20's) on my show circuit who doesn't wear one. And takes her jacket off in the warmup. I am sorry but NOBODY around needs or wants to see her bizniss flapping in the wind (especially when her sweat-soaked shirt is pretty much see-through.) And we're talking reasonably substantial boobies too, not little A's or AA's. I really want to take her aside and explain that if she doesn't want them sagging to down around her knees in about 10 years, she really should give them the proper support they deserve.

Comment

My trainer requires jackets, even if they are waived.
                            Originally posted by SillyHorse View Post
                            This is mind boggling.
                            I don't get why it is. Especially if you only put it on just before entering the ring. No judge will intentionally say "oh, she's not wearing a jacket because they were waived; what an unprofessional wimp." However, a judge may have an unintended natural reaction which says "this person looks so polished!" that adds a natural positive tendency toward thoughts on the horse/rider in the ring. Trained as they may be, judges are still human, and the polish helps them mentally accept you as competent.

That said, I don't wear my jacket if jackets are waived.

Comment

Originally posted by cada931 View Post
                              My mother always said beige bras under white...
                              Your mother was correct. Better yet a beige bra or nude that is close to your skin tone.

This also goes for underwear. Let's not even get into the commando option.

Comment

I have scribed a lot in the MD heat and I can tell you that an overheated competitor with a beet red face in a jacket doesn't arouse any admiration in the judges. They are worried that the competitor is going have a heat stroke and collapse.

Comment

Originally posted by ArabDiva View Post
                                  Whaaaat?
                                  Bras are never optional, jacket or no jacket.
                                  THere's a girl (in her 20's) on my show circuit who doesn't wear one. And takes her jacket off in the warmup. I am sorry but NOBODY around needs or wants to see her bizniss flapping in the wind (especially when her sweat-soaked shirt is pretty much see-through.) And we're talking reasonably substantial boobies too, not little A's or AA's. I really want to take her aside and explain that if she doesn't want them sagging to down around her knees in about 10 years, she really should give them the proper support they deserve.
                                  Maybe she knows they will never sag:

http://tinyurl.com/3tbswb7

I stand corrected on the bra color. I meant not to forget and wear a black one, as I did once (not at a show, just hacking around the barn, but it was funny.)
                                  2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Comment

I got disoriented in the 95 degree, high humidity heat once and lost track of the test during a show. Thank goodness there are clothing options. I just bought a super thin short-sleeve at the last dressage show.

Take advantage of the rule; it was embarrassing to both my trainer and I that I got off-course since the trainer was calling the test! Good news is I still won a blue ribbon but the points off hurt.

With temps near 100 this weekend, I opted out of showing but will go watch a local show this weekend...they are starting tests at 6:45am!

Comment

Originally posted by netg View Post
                                      I don't get why it is. Especially if you only put it on just before entering the ring. No judge will intentionally say "oh, she's not wearing a jacket because they were waived; what an unprofessional wimp." However, a judge may have an unintended natural reaction which says "this person looks so polished!" that adds a natural positive tendency toward thoughts on the horse/rider in the ring. Trained as they may be, judges are still human, and the polish helps them mentally accept you as competent.

That said, I don't wear my jacket if jackets are waived.
                                      We have had more than one judge on this board state that people are foolish if they don't remove their jackets when the temperature is high enough for them to be waived.
                                      Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and sexual predator! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

Comment

EVerytime when I see a rider wearing a jacket when it is waived, I kind of wonder whether that rider has some sort of self esteem issue - you know, needing that extra uniform like an armor to convince themselves that they belong in the show ring... I might be dead wrong but that thought corsses my mind more than once.

Honestly if a judge will score me lower just because I'm not wearing a jacket, that judge's opinion isn't worth a squad to me.

Comment

Working...
                                        X