• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Stubben Saddle Gurus

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stubben Saddle Gurus

After reading the March 22 blog entry of Catherine Haddad - "Supersize It Syndrome" - I was wondering who rode in Stubben saddles that are very pared down as far as padding, knee blocks etc. - Tristan model I believe?
    How do you like these saddles? Did you purchase new or used?
    What is your horses conformation and how does it fit?
    Thanks so much in advance.

I have one on trial right now -- and I am not really a dressage rider, more like a trail rider who takes occasional lessons and has her horses in low level training.

The Stubben dealer warned me that this saddle is not for everyone, but I love it. Only rode in it twice (Fri/Sat) but each time it felt right.

I was going to get a Schleese, but the wait for a used one is long, so I thought I'd get an inexpensive used saddle to tide me over. I found a Stubben Maestoso with blocks removed and took it on trial. To my surprise I liked it. So much that I searched COTH, found the Haddad article, and asked the dealer to check out the Maestoso for fit and to bring the Haddad Genesis Special model.

My horse might need a bigger size. He brought the 31cm and said it fit, but when I took conformational photos it seems pommel high. So we are working that, but even if I can't get it to fit, I know I will not order any other saddle with knee rolls, thigh blocks or big gussets. The close contact is home for me -- it all makes sense.

I thought I might notice the long girth and buckles under my leg, but I don't. And this is with a girth that is a little short since I didn't have a long girth at all. The only thing I did notice is that I am in the last hole on the flap strap. My girl is a bit round... I don't know if they come longer or whether last hole is 'good enough.'

jan

Comment

Friend has an old Tristan with tiny thigh blocks. The twist is narrower which I like. Really like the lack of blocks. Nice saddle but leather feels slippery.

For horses, Stubbens run narrower, but they do make wides which are wider than 32cm, but the gullets don't seem that wide even on the wider trees. They use a curved tree so aren't great for flat backed horses or horse without whithers. Seem better suited for horses with a dip behind the whither.

I personally hate short billets. They can hit right under the thigh and if you ride more than one horse it means multiple girths. It's also a pain because some saddles settle more and then the girth is suddenly too long.

Comment

I don't have a Stubben, but I have a very minimalist Jeffries. Pencil knee rolls only, which is just enough to give my knee something to rest on with the narrow-shouldered one that also has a little pot belly. It's the most secure thing I've ever ridden in. The seat is shaped almost identically to my no-name but nice cc saddle form the mid-90's. Just a hint of depth to the seat, but shallow by dressage standards.

Comment

I spoke with dealer tonight about sizing for my horse(s) and he said 31cm is still his recommended size. He said I should take pictures of the saddle with me mounted. I recall in the Haddad videos that she said a new saddle will look pommel high. He concurs.

I have heard that Stubbens run narrow. I asked him about general sizing and he said most stores carry a 32 cm because those saddles have more padding - that is what sells. He said 33-34 are for draft horses and they don't sell many of them. He said a narrower TB might be in a 27cm.

He said Haddad uses her 31cm for all the horses she rides, and just pads up if it is too wide.

I sure wish there was standardization here!

jan

Comment

I have a Stubben Tristan... no rolls and a relatively shallow seat... and I love it. I purchased mine new about 15 years ago, and it was imported from Germany for me by Haddad herself.

These saddles last forever, and seem to fit a larger variety of horses and riders than most other saddles. I've used mine on everything from 15h arabs, to thoroughbreds, to warmbloods.

The best thing about these saddles, however, is that they get out of the rider's way. Sure, you will have to learn how to actually sit on the horse, develop truly independent aids, and find your own balance and position, but that is as it should be.

Good luck.

Comment

The only thing I did notice is that I am in the last hole on the flap strap. My girl is a bit round... I don't know if they come longer or whether last hole is 'good enough.'
              Ask if you can have some extra length - I would not be OK with using the last hole constantly.

As for 32cm vs 31cm, consider whether your mare is going to widen or narrow over the next few years.
              Ask the Stubben rep to bring you a 32 cm or a 31cm that has "settled"; I agree that many horses would fit the 31cm.

It's a truly lovely saddle

Comment

Originally posted by Just Not Native View Post
                After reading the March 22 blog entry of Catherine Haddad - "Supersize It Syndrome" - I was wondering who rode in Stubben saddles that are very pared down as far as padding, knee blocks etc. - Tristan model I believe?
                How do you like these saddles? Did you purchase new or used?
                What is your horses conformation and how does it fit?
                Thanks so much in advance.
                Hmm I guess you think about the Schultheiss Modell, which is even more extreme than the Tristan...

I don´t know. It is a philosophy I guess. I used to own one of those for many years because I used to train with a German GP rider who was convinced that they are the best.
                Later on I moved, got a new horse with a custom made Höpfner and switched.
                Many years ago I met this GP rider again and found out that he also switched to a different saddle...
                Right now I ride the Passier GG...
                Ususally the saddle is important, but still there are many good saddles.
                And as far as I remember was the Stubben not very comfortable.....
                https://www.facebook.com/Luckyacresfarm
                https://www.facebook.com/Ulrike-Bsch...4373849955364/

Comment

I have a stubben tristan with a very small knee roll. I've decided the saddle is not for me, so I've moved on to a Schleese JES Advanced.

I felt like I was constantly behind the motion of my horse, and fighting to not be in a chair seat. I now realize that may be how I'm "supposed" to sit in this saddle as per Haddad's blog, but that is not my preferable way of riding. So I've moved on to a saddle that helps me get me get my leg underneath myself better.

Comment

We had the Stubben rep here last week doing fittings and we'll have him back again in September for a full clinic with demo saddles/trees. I rode in the newest Stubben that Catherine is referencing in her blog back in June. It is the Genesis Special D. No knee rolls, the new high tech tree...the works!

It is an updated version of the Tristan which was the reinvention of the Schultheis (spelling is wrong) with a lot of modernizations, improved technology and other improvements.

Personally - I love where the saddle puts me. Particularly on my big moving Weltmeyer gelding FWIW. I can NOT stay with his trot in most saddles, so the Genesis Special works for us. I bit the bullet and ordered one last week with the Bio Mex seat and everything. I recommend riding in the saddle before passing judgment as it probably won't be to everyone's taste/preference. I feel like I am riding bareback with the amount of closeness to the horses - which might not be what other riders want.

As an aside - I was speaking with several other riders/friends and was informed how all Stubbens come with giant thigh blocks/padding and 'how they're just terrible saddles'...so like many things everyone has an opinion about everything! If you are local to our place, my saddle should arrive at the end of September and you're more than welcome to see it when it gets here.
                    Attached Files
                    Watermark Farm
                    Blog
                    Watermark Farm Facebook Fan Page
                    You Tube Channel

Comment

Tasker, what width did you order?

Comment

Originally posted by Karosel View Post
                        I have a stubben tristan with a very small knee roll. I've decided the saddle is not for me, so I've moved on to a Schleese JES Advanced.
                        When I was younger, I ordered a schultheis (?) special from Germany sight unseen. I really liked that saddle, but then I owned a horse that it didn't fit too well.

I also have a JES advanced. It is a half size too large for me, but maybe my ideal saddle. I am currently riding in the Jane Savoie saddle. I like it well enough, but I feel like there's not enough connection or play between my seatbones and the horse. I'd rather have a 17" JES advanced which seems to have enough of a feel to give you security, but not so much that I feel blocked or locked into the horse. I wonder if one day I will go back to the SS.

I see quite a few people with nice big saddles and blocks to keep the legs in place. They are very good saddles and fit well to the horse giving the rider and horse a good feeling. Nevertheless, I feel as though many of these people are restricted in their seat. Many times these riders grip with the knees and their hips don't look altogether soft and giving. It looks like it's hard to really relax in these types of saddles.

I haven't read the article though and will go read it.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Spots View Post
                          Tasker, what width did you order?
                          Terrible to admit this - I don't know. I can PM you the rep's contact info and you can talk to him, if you'd like. The saddle will fit 4 of the 15 we have in work with no alterations but is being purchased for Wyatt. I can manage on the other horses but he redefines the meaning of bouncy in any other saddle. I will probably be ordering a few more GS's in the future but have to sell some of my current saddles first...$$ is an issue to have 20 saddles at a time. I am leery of ordering a saddle without having a rep go over the horses and recommending which saddle they will need...too expensive and I am not a professional saddle fitter - just a rider!

But in the end, I like the way I ride in the Stubben Genesis Special better than the other saddles out there, so it's safe to say I'm a convert. The Bio Mex seat cushions my broken tail bone bits, so that is an added bonus.
                          Watermark Farm
                          Blog
                          You Tube Channel

Comment

I keep hoping I'll find a Stubben Tristen/Tristen Special I can buy and see how it works for me - because I have a hunch I'd love the GS eventually, but want to try a similar saddle to figure it out first. I have always preferred my saddles have less to them, but would hate to spend the money and find out the GS isn't what I want after the fact! My horse's topline needs to stabilize in its filling out before I spend any large amount on a saddle anyway, so it may be a while!
                            Originally posted by Silverbridge
                            If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

Love our Stubben Tristan/Schultheis special! I originally got it 2 years ago for my DD (I was very lucky to find it used locally in almost new condition.) Since we are both the same size, I can enjoy it too. It has no knee roll, minimal padding, and short billets & flap strap.

I feel very close to the horse, almost bare back when riding in it. I love the way it allows you to open the hip angle and sit very nicely aligned without getting in the way. I don't find it putting me in a chair seat, just sitting deeply into the horse.

I'm using it on a round barreled, flat withered horse and although it has a lot of pommel clearance, it seems to fit him better than anything else I've tried and he seems to like it a lot. (DD daughter was using a borrowed Passier before getting the Tristan and the difference in his movement and her position were both quite noticeable.)

I may be partial, though. I grew up on a Stubben Siegfried, same size, I believe built on the same tree as the Tristan. The Siegfried is almost 40 years old. Yes, they really hold up forever, if well cared for. Still in use today when jumping, but DD is a confirmed dressage rider, doesn't like to jump.

I'd highly recommend you try one!

Comment

I have a 40 year old Parzival that is still in good shape (not pretty though). It is the most comfortable saddle I have ridden in. It is the VSD model I think, and even though it has dressage flaps I trail ride and jump lower fences in it without a problem.

I tried a Passier GG a couple of times and hated it - WAY too much padding.

Christa

Comment

Originally posted by Elegante E View Post
                                  Friend has an old Tristan with tiny thigh blocks. The twist is narrower which I like. Really like the lack of blocks. Nice saddle but leather feels slippery.

For horses, Stubbens run narrower, but they do make wides which are wider than 32cm, but the gullets don't seem that wide even on the wider trees. They use a curved tree so aren't great for flat backed horses or horse without whithers. Seem better suited for horses with a dip behind the whither.

I personally hate short billets. They can hit right under the thigh and if you ride more than one horse it means multiple girths. It's also a pain because some saddles settle more and then the girth is suddenly too long.
                                  This....As a rider, I like the feel...but I don't have any horse that the saddle will fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Elegante E View Post

They do offer the option of long billets. I checked last week but FWIW - I would rather have several long girths and switch out from horse to horse than deal with the exact same situation with long billets - which is what we've been doing for the last 30 years. Either way, pretty much every horse has their own girth around here...but I would like less bulk at my ankles. Personal preference.

The width of the trees & shape of the saddle fork is why I wanted the rep to come up and try different sized trees in the GS on the different horses. I am way too chicken to spend that kind of $$$$ without a professional to check the horse in that particular saddle, then ride in it, then I do the paperwork to order the saddle. I *think* the 4 all fit perfectly in the Medium-Wide and the 5th horse needs some shims added on the right shoulder to compensate for some asymmetry. There is one horse who needs a tree 2 sizes narrower, so he is going to wait until some of the inventory clears and then get his own saddle - which will probably fit more of the 'other' horses as they are similar in shape/width to him than the broader horses that are getting saddle #1.

From what I remember - the Tristan is the Schultheis re-invented. The S was the reincarnation of the Sigfried with shorter forks on the tree. The Genesis Special is the latest technology with the tree - the Tristan, et al. do not have that tree - which is a whole different feel.

But seriously - contact Stubben and see if you can arrange a test ride. That will answer a lot of the questions better than posting on the BB.
                                    Watermark Farm
                                    Blog
                                    You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by fjordmom View Post
                                      I feel very close to the horse, almost bare back when riding in it. I love the way it allows you to open the hip angle and sit very nicely aligned without getting in the way. I don't find it putting me in a chair seat, just sitting deeply into the horse.
                                      Yeah. I chuckle to myself when people say the saddle "puts them into a chair seat." There is nothing there to put a rider into ANY type of seat. I think these saddles just have a larger learning curve than most others, but it's so worth it.

Comment

There shouldn't be any pressure on the flap strap so if it isn't tight then the last hole will be fine. And since the flap strap is usually made from softer leather it will stretch.

Stubben hint: Stubben's leather has a reputation of turning rock hard and slick. If an older saddle is slippery or hard use a liberal dose of the Hamanol. Let it set over night and buff the excess off in the morning. Repeat once a week until the saddle is softened. Then once every month or so as needed. Also - the Hamanol may smell funky but it does WONDERS for your hands/nails!
                                        Camels spit, Mary, camels - Catherine Haddad "Dressage Critic

Comment

Working...
                                        X