• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Collection?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collection?

I am working hard here. We are starting collection and, IT IS HARD! I have never ridden a horse I have had to TRAIN collection, I have ridden horses who HAVE been trained. I have a great instructor who pushes us out of our comfort zone, which, after too many years working on the "easy", is where we need to be. What I need to hear from my 2nd level and above friends is your light bulb moments. What happened or what made collection click. I get it, but I can't seem to get it consistently. I know my horse needs to build muscle and I know it is a process but I just need some... I don't know... camaraderie or something. So spill it, tell me the stories of when you were in my shoes, or, if you are in my shoes, what are you finding about the process?
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

First off you need a trainer who can explain how collection works. Then when you understand how it works you go and try it out.

It didn't take me a long time since I have a great trainer!

Think of collection in this way:

Go with your legs while your hands say no.

In other words, urge your horse forward and keep giving half halts. But keep the hind engaged!

The once you feel a step or two of collection you're like "Ohhh I get it!" and then you do it again.

Comment

My first thought after reading your post is of tons of transitions and half halts (doing them correctly w/help of eyes on the ground), and that "click" of self-carriage and power, which of course didnt last too long, but was INTOXICATING, and made me work so hard for it every time I rode. What made it consistent were those transitions, shoulder-ins, w/TONS of half-halts and riding forward. One thing I had a hard time with was judging how much to ride forward once I "got" collection...-on-ground helped me feel that though I thought my collection was good, it wasnt "sustainable", either because I'd lost the forward-- I'd just sat there enjoying the cool collected feel, and neglected the HH's, SI's, forward, etc.

Its so important to have experienced -on ground to remind you to keep riding through the euphoria of collection, and to help you recognise those collected first steps, and to build on them...also, when to change the subject or call it a day

Do you have access to an upper-level horse, or one who is at least a confirmed 2nd-3rd L horse, to remind yourself how colection feels? I think that's huge, if possible.

Hang in there!

Comment

DutchDressageQueen said it perfectly.
        You know you have got it when your horse comes up in the withers and shoulders.

Comment

Remember that collection has NOTHING to do with SLOW

Comment

Originally posted by DutchDressageQueen View Post

Think of collection in this way:

Go with your legs while your hands say no.
            In other words, urge your horse forward and keep giving half halts. But keep the hind engaged!
            With respect to DDQ, though I know what she is trying to convey, evidenced by her follow-up explanation, thinking of collection as any kind of "kick and hold" is really dangerous to riders beginning collection. Again, DDQ, your follow-up is a better explanation. Too many people have the "kick and hold" idea in their heads; we see them everywhere.

Again, DDQ, I totally get what you're saying--I'm just super-cautious about telling collection newbies anything that they may construe as holding which they may then turn into pulling, then more kicking, then more pulling, yadayadayada.

Comment

I can definitely remember the summer that I "got" collection with my first horse. It really is and "ah-ha" process.

I remember our transitions becoming completely off my seat and leg. I remember the first feeling of those BAM half-halts that totally rebalance the horse and make them stand up and sit down at the same time.

Enjoy the sense of accomplishment with your horse. It won't be quite the same with the next one.

Comment

Not an expert - on the same path as OP, just a touch beyond...

The ideas that helped me the most: ride the hind legs quicker and think of the hind legs as being the platform that you are always riding under.

The skill that helped me the most was really learning how to sit and then being able to find, connect w/ and influence the hind end... and be able to feel what its doing back there. By keeping my feel tuned to the back end helped to lesson my tendency to ride the front end.

For my horse - lunging him in relatively loose side reins and going from a big circle w/ a forward reaching trot to a small circle and allowing him to rock back on his own to balance helped him to learn collection and gain strength w/ out me on top. I did this work in both trot and canter and it really seemed to help him. My instructor showed me how to do that exercise - the horse needs to understand half halts on the lunge line. It is cool because the horse will automatically lift his poll and drop his head towards the vertical w/out pressure up front as he sits and engages.

Comment

Originally posted by lovey1121 View Post
                  With respect to DDQ, though I know what she is trying to convey, evidenced by her follow-up explanation, thinking of collection as any kind of "kick and hold" is really dangerous to riders beginning collection. Again, DDQ, your follow-up is a better explanation. Too many people have the "kick and hold" idea in their heads; we see them everywhere.

Again, DDQ, I totally get what you're saying--I'm just super-cautious about telling collection newbies anything that they may construe as holding which they may then turn into pulling, then more kicking, then more pulling, yadayadayada.
                  yes I understand what you mean. I did not mean for it to sound like kicking and at the same time yanking in the mouth.

Comment

I agree that it's probably one of the best feelings I've ever had on horseback...and I'm still working on training maresy to collect. This past week in a lesson, we worked A TON in counter canter making sure that I could keep my girl STRAIGHT by softening her on the inside rein (which was really on the outside, but it's the inside rein because it's on the inside of the bend), but connecting her into the outside aids. We did a 20-meter counter canter circle to a 20-meter true circle (like a figure eight...or, in my head, a snowman). After the work in counter canter, the true canter circle was up, through, rhythmic, and POWERFUL. We ended with some medium canter that kind of blew me away....

I'm learning that the collection IS coming, just in small pieces because of maresy's lack of strength to hold it for very long. I can't let my overly-driven personality ask for too much at once...a few strides here, a few strides there...pretty soon, those gaps where I lose the collection will get smaller and smaller until we're trucking around like the big guys!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Oberon13 View Post
                      I'm learning that the collection IS coming, just in small pieces because of maresy's lack of strength to hold it for very long. I can't let my overly-driven personality ask for too much at once...a few strides here, a few strides there...pretty soon, those gaps where I lose the collection will get smaller and smaller until we're trucking around like the big guys!
                      This ^

We are on the EXACT same page. I get it, he gets it, I have ridden it before so I know what I am supposed to feel, I have just never TRAINED it before. It's challenging, fun, rewarding, but challenging.

My trainer is good, she does explain things well, so really, I am not looking as much for advice as I am personal experiences. I find them helpful and sometimes, I find them motivating.
                      ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
                      My Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by lovey1121 View Post

Completely agree with this.

Collection is not "go and whoa" at the same time.

In good collection:
                        a.) the horse is already forward without requiring gas from the legs. Legs can hang, horse has own motor. This has been established well before collection is even attempted.
                        2.)the seat holds the collection. Not the hands.
                        3.) then the seat *allows* (as opposed to drives) the horse out of the collection. If you need a driving aid to leave the collection, it wasn't good enough. If you need a driving aid to maintain the collection, still not good enough.

Let go, let go, let go.

Very different from any kind of "adding gas but whoaing at the same time." Of course it isn't cranking and spanking. But it also isn't "leg into a half halt" either.
                        The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                        Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                        Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                        The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post
                          Completely agree with this.

Collection is not "go and whoa" at the same time.

In good collection:
                          a.) the horse is already forward without requiring gas from the legs. Legs can hang, horse has own motor. This has been established well before collection is even attempted.
                          2.)the seat holds the collection. Not the hands.
                          3.) then the seat *allows* (as opposed to drives) the horse out of the collection. If you need a driving aid to leave the collection, it wasn't good enough. If you need a driving aid to maintain the collection, still not good enough.

Let go, let go, let go.

Very different from any kind of "adding gas but whoaing at the same time." Of course it isn't cranking and spanking. But it also isn't "leg into a half halt" either.

In the beginning to teach a horse collection, the go and no is basically what you do. When the horse gets it, and stays forward, then you take your leg off, and you guide your horse through the movements. Then when you feel the slightest change in your horse you may need to give him a squeeze with your legs to keep him going, or if you feel your horse is going towards "running" then you give a slight half halt to keep the same collection and balance.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs-n-Frodo View Post
                            I get it, but I can't seem to get it consistently.

Practice, practice, practice.

The more you practice, the better it gets, and the few steps of collection become a short side of collection, then a long side of collection, and before you know it you can do a whole round in the arena in collection. Of course this will not happen over night. your horse also needs to get stronger and be able to carry himself better.

What I find helpful is this:
                            if you are on a horse that likes to put his head in a low position, then in the warm up, do not put his head in a low frame, but rather keep him more towards competition frame. then when you go to collect it is easier as he will most likely not fall on the forehand as quickly.

when you have a horse that likes to put this head up way above the vertical, then warm up in a lower frame. You will feel then he will also get "looser" in his back, and then for that horse it will be better that you rode him lower and longer in the warmup because then you should be able to keep his head on or a little below the vertical easier when trying to collect.

Comment

Two things helped me:

1. The ability to do a square halt - focusing on using my legs to push horse into a square halt from every gait. Trot to halt is the easiest.

2. The ability to obtain self carriage on a LONG rein. Trainer taught horse first, then me on horse. It took a couple of months to enable me to ride this correctly but if I can't get horse to work correctly on a long rein then shortening the reins will not help get us there either.

Once you have the self carriage the collection just comes.
                              Now in Kentucky

Comment

• Original Poster

We are a work in progress. Unfortunately, we are headed into our worst time of year, summer. Temps today are expected to reach 110 and they will be between 110-115 all week, and, most likely through the rest of the summer. Since I am on that subject, anyone have suggestions on how to keep working on collection but not over-work my horse in this heat?? Right now I have transportation problems as my car is in the shop, so this week, I am at the mercy of transportation availability, so early morning rides are not available to me. When my car comes back, the earliest I can get there when my BF is working is 7:30am or 8:30, depending on the day. I am not worried about the days he is off, I can go as early as I want.
                                ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
                                My Facebook

Comment

I'm in no waay ready for collection but I agree with what Valentina said about achieving self-carriage first. My trainer and I have been working for months now to teach my horse the concept of self-carriage and as a test I managed baby-collection at the trot for a few strides while on a long rein, stretching up with my body and asking for it (by sheer fluke, because I dont know how else) with my seat. I cannot describe how it happened but it felt like I was given the keys to heaven for a second there . Then of course it all fell apart...
                                  You see a mouse-trap. I see free cheeze and a challenge

Comment

Originally posted by WILLOW&CAL View Post
                                    I'm in no waay ready for collection but I agree with what Valentina said about achieving self-carriage first. My trainer and I have been working for months now to teach my horse the concept of self-carriage and as a test I managed baby-collection at the trot for a few strides while on a long rein, stretching up with my body and asking for it (by sheer fluke, because I dont know how else) with my seat. I cannot describe how it happened but it felt like I was given the keys to heaven for a second there . Then of course it all fell apart...
                                    When you keep practicing, those moments become longer and longer!

Comment

Originally posted by WILLOW&CAL View Post
                                      Another good way to test self carriage is to extend forward your inside hand for a couple strides. At the beginning do it in corners, circles, shoulder-in etc. Your horse should maintain proper bend, impulsion, balance, and contact with the outside rein.

Comment

Working...
                                      X