• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How often do you ride outside of the arena?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you ride outside of the arena?

I'm curious. I personally HATE leaving the arena since I had a bad fall/injury while hacking out several years ago. I used to ride out a lot but I'm older and don't want to fall on that hard ground again. I truly have no desire to leave the ring but will my new horse get ring sour if I don't? I'm wondering if I need to push myself out of my comfort zone and/or get someone else to hack him out occasionally, or if it's not that big of a deal to ride exclusively in the ring. I ride 3-5 times a week and my horses are at home.

(oh, and I tried to post a poll but couldn't figure out how, sorry!)

I am weird and HATE riding in the ring.... I would much rather ride in a field and do my dressage than do it in an arena.

I love dressage, and when I am at shows I don't mind riding in the arena but unless I am practicing a specific movement I will ride outside.

Comment

I think it really depends on the horse. Have certainly met some who would gladly never set foot outside "footing", and some who go stark raving mad during the winter when their exercise is confined to an indoor hall. Mine tends toward the latter, without the "mad" piece. She is happier and more interested out of the arena (inside or outside) so I make that at least a part of our ride whenever I can, currently about 3 out of 5 rides.

What I hate to see are horses ridden *only* in an indoor, never exposed to the great outside... and sometimes with riders who wonder why they can't handle shows etc.
      You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

I work in the arena for about 45-60 minutes every ride and spend another 15-45 minutes outside the arena as well.
        www.destinationconsensusequus.com
        chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

Originally posted by KPF View Post
          I'm curious. I personally HATE leaving the arena since I had a bad fall/injury while hacking out several years ago. I used to ride out a lot but I'm older and don't want to fall on that hard ground again. I truly have no desire to leave the ring but will my new horse get ring sour if I don't? I'm wondering if I need to push myself out of my comfort zone and/or get someone else to hack him out occasionally, or if it's not that big of a deal to ride exclusively in the ring. I ride 3-5 times a week and my horses are at home.

(oh, and I tried to post a poll but couldn't figure out how, sorry!)
          Glad to know I'm not the only one. I don't really like riding alone either
          I wasn't always a Smurf
          Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
          "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
          The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

Right now my mare is still in tendon rehab mode - long straight lines on firm footing, so for the moment the answer is "always". The turf is firmer than the sand footing, mare is quiet out and about, and it's easier to make long straights and gradual turns out there.

Normally I probably ride about 50/50 in and out of the arena. I LOVE trail riding. I'm glad I don't have to choose between the two, but if I had to pick one, I'd give up dressage before I'd give up trail riding.

That being said, this is supposed to be FUN, and if you don't like trail riding, don't sweat it. Just find ways to get him exposure to new places and find ways to spice things up in the arena, and I doubt he'll suffer for it.
            "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
            -Edward Hoagland

Comment

Not often enough. Just yesterday I was exercising an older mare and that consisted of alot of walking over terrain so we left the ring and rode the farm. It struck me that this should happen more often. I plan on using hacking out to relieve my horse's stress from training. I also want to cross train so I'll definitely be hacking out.

It's a logistics nightmare though. I don't have my own trailer, and where I ride, the fields we used to have access to are now farm land and residences. It's too bad really.

ETA - there's lots between the ring and hacking out. You can ride around the farm where you train.

Paula
              He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

I ride outside the ring twice a week usually- but whether or not its necessary really depends on the horse. Some will get sour within weeks, others are really fine.

Comment

Pretty much every time I ride!
                  I can do all my flat work on the trail; leg yields, shoulder-in, lengthening, collecting, serpentines, etc. I do my conditioning and interval training around the lake.
                  If my horses can concentrate while deer are jumping thru the bushes, squirrels and birds are popping up, the dogs jumping into the lake as we ride around it - they sure as heck don't have a problem at a show!
                  You're entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts!

Comment

I think if the work is kept interesting and doesn't become a "drill" for the horse (you know, 5000 20m circles in an hour kind of thing), not many will get ring sour. Especially if they have adequate turnout. This is not saying there aren't some who adamantly despise being worked in an arena, but most don't mind an hour out of their day, whether it is 85 degrees, or 25 degrees.

That said, it's always a nice change to head out of the arena. But if you're not comfortable out of the arena, don't stress about leaving it. Chances are, your horse isn't going to mind.
                    Creek Ridge Farm
                    Trakehner Horses

Comment

I don't ride in our sand arena at all..i have some cones set up in the huge field behind our farm and we do our dressage schooling with the cones as focal points...then go hack around the field after or on the trails. I also make sure I let her loose in there to run around and eat grass before and after i ride. My horse is a happy girl and seems to enjoy our routine.
                      My horse is 3 years old so i keep our rides to 15-30 minutes 3-4 days a week (sometimes less)

Comment

I'm w/quietann....depends on the horse. One of my guys was a DWB who had major outdoor issues (read eyes on stalks)...T/O had to be in a tiny paddock and fully monitored. Outdoor rings were even tough...showing tougher. Hacking out for us consisted of walks in a fenced pasture w/a very steady-Eddie type as a protector. Kinda funny-Steady ED was a miniature of my guy by 2 hands. My guy tried to hide behind him when he got sceered.

I also used to hack out alone (NO helmet-No cellphone...just plain dumb and lucky). He was sooo good, and being german, it helped his go button to get out of the ring. Since he was issue-less, we'd walk 15-20 min. around the property before ringwork, and at least a once a week trailride; more in hot weather and much more as he got old Some of the best passage/piaffe we ever had was out in a field, watching the hunt blast by!

Can you get someone to ride w/you on a steady Eddie? Even just hacking around your farm can be a pleasant diversion for both of you-maybe try the pasture thing, after a nice hard ring ride on a non-windy day. And dont forget helmet and cellphone

Comment

My mare was a trail horse in a former life, so going out on the trails really perks her up. I started going out on the trails by my barn with steady eddies as lead ponies and worked up to going out on our own. She does get spooky sometimes - but for her this means stopping and refusing to move forward. When we first started going out on our own, I would handwalk her when she was spooky, then hop on and ride her. It worked great and made us both feel more confident. And she has an enthusiasm for cantering on the trails that she just doesn't have in the ring. So I think I owe it to her to make sure she gets to go canter in the woods.

As others have said, you should do whatever you and your horse enjoy. Do you think working outside the arena will make your horse more enthusiastic? Maybe have someone take him on the trails to see, or you can have friends work with you. Or perhaps there is something else you can do to change things up? Some little jumps or barrels or even a bareback ride?

Honestly, though, I know some people who never ride outside the arena and their horses seem very happy.
                          My blog: Journeys in Riding

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far!

The horse is 10 so not young and his previous owner only rode in the ring for the last couple of years, but she only rode once or twice a week. He's not in "hard" work at all, I'm just getting back into dressage and we only work for about 30 minutes and most of it so far is w/t. I have done some trot poles and try not to do the same exact "routine" each time. And it is an outdoor arena, fwiw.

I know it'd be better to get out of the ring some but it seriously is almost panic attack inducing to think about it. I was hacking around my farm almost 4 years ago, walking and horse bolted out of nowhere and I fell off and broke my back, badly. Took me 8 months to get back in the saddle and then I only rode in an indoor for a year. The first time in an outdoor again I was terrified!

As a junior I grew up riding on the hunt trails and doing horse trials and with my last horse (before the crazy bolting one) I trail rode frequently and often was alone. So it's not like I'm missing out on the experience. Maybe a year from now when I know my new horse better I'll change my mind but for now I really want to stay in the ring. Oh, and where I live it's almost always windy so that doesn't make it a more attractive prospect!

Comment

My suggestion? Get someone else to hack him and test his reactions. If person B hacks him several times and he's a gentleman, it might make you feel more confident about taking him out yourself. If not, he still got a few nice hacks out of the deal.

I also suggest finding a real laid back horse/rider combo to go with you. You might find your fears melting away when you are both in the presence of a steady pair. You can simply dismount whenever you get nervous. You can then handwalk for a ways and remount when you feel ready. Give yourself the option to immediately dismount at any moment. No shame in it. Maybe you'll only ride twenty feet the first time and handwalk the rest of it. Maybe the time after that you'll get a bit further.

Take baby steps. I'm not really confident about hacking my youngster, but I try to walk out a bit father each time....a bit of work in the open field, a short walk down the lane. It might just be a 5 steps out of the ring on day and 6 the next. You went through a bad thing, but the fact that you're posting this question might mean that you are ready to take tiny steps towards hacking out again.
                              2007 Welsh Cob C X TB GG Eragon
                              Our training journal.
                              1989-2008 French TB Shamus Fancy
                              I owned him for fifteen years, but he was his own horse.

Comment

You could also try what I do when I first get a horse. To introduce them to trails I hand walk them. My last two horses came off the track and they hadn't seen much "nature" so they were quite looky at first.

Once I've introduced them to the idea, I go out with a steady Eddie type of friend. I also try to stay on wooded trails, leaving open fields for when they get more comfortable.

I also like the idea of having someone else take your horse out occasionally for a hack.

I've certainly known people who only ride in the ring but personally I enjoy hacking out with my horse, even if it's just a walk.

My horses have all loved hacking -- even the ones who were apprehensive at first.

It certainly sounds like you had a terrible experience and you should take it slowly. What's most important is that you enjoy your horse.
                                Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                                EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Almost every ride if I can, even if its just a few laps around the pastures...course my horse was/is a very very experienced trail horse.....so that makes it a lot more fun.

I would hire a trainer to take your horse out for a month then you start to take it one step at a time. Its possible for most horses and riders to have a great time and be successful given enough traininhg, but like anything it takes time and the desire to do it.

It can be very scary outside, but many of my best memories are trail riding. Its so good for the horse to break up the routine and build muscles.

Comment

I always go for a ride around the pasture before doing arena work, unless the pasture is too wet/snowy/icy, and then so is my arena, so I have to trailer to an indoor.

I take my horse out to open space once a week for several miles of trotting and galloping hills. He is 3/4 Thoroughbred and he loves to run. I give him about a mile of flat-out, full-power warp-speed gallop up a huge winding hill, where all I can do is hold onto mane and lean into the turns.

Life is too short not to have fun.

Comment

I like to change things up really, my gelding gets so bored and frustrated if we stay on the arena, day in and day out.

I do something like this during the week (each dot point is a day):

- Sand Arena
                                      - Field
                                      - Grass Arena
                                      - Lesson (on surface at instructors)
                                      - Gallop Track (a trail ride with a good portion that is smooth, undulating and soft footed, sandy almost)
                                      - Hill work (different trail)

If I'm having difficulty getting him to open up or get a reaction from my leg I will take him out of the environment...for example, today I was working on the Sand Arena and couldn't get him off my left leg. Trotted out the arena, did my leg yields up and down the driveway, back to the arena and the problem was sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by luchiamae View Post
                                        I like to change things up really, my gelding gets so bored and frustrated if we stay on the arena, day in and day out.

I do something like this during the week (each dot point is a day):

- Sand Arena
                                        - Field
                                        - Grass Arena
                                        - Lesson (on surface at instructors)
                                        - Gallop Track (a trail ride with a good portion that is smooth, undulating and soft footed, sandy almost)
                                        - Hill work (different trail)

If I'm having difficulty getting him to open up or get a reaction from my leg I will take him out of the environment...for example, today I was working on the Sand Arena and couldn't get him off my left leg. Trotted out the arena, did my leg yields up and down the driveway, back to the arena and the problem was sorted.
                                        This. My large Friesian has the tendency to ignore my leg and go sub-power on some days. That is when I take him on the working track around the farm and walk down an incline or hill and slow, controlled trot up a few times. When he's totally asleep, we canter uphill on a long rein to stretch those big, cold muscles. I love hill-work. I couldn't do without it. I also do a lot of my canter work and beginning to teach changes on a soccer field nearby. The local kids usually cheer us on from the sidelines
                                        You see a mouse-trap. I see free cheeze and a challenge

Comment

Working...
                                        X