• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Lumbar Spinal Fusion L4/5, L5/S1, 2 Cages, 6 Screws

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumbar Spinal Fusion L4/5, L5/S1, 2 Cages, 6 Screws

Hi,

I haven't been on here in a long time. I have spine issues and in '97 had a microdisckectomy on L5/S1. I saw my surgeon on Wednesday and he wants to do a laminectomy as well as spinal fusion with cages and screws at L4/5 where I have a pretty large herniation that has not gotten better for years even with PT and has in fact gotten worse to the point where I can barely tolerate riding and exercise. L5/S1 will need to be fused as well. I also have degeneritive disc disease and scleroderma to name just a few things.

I just wondered if anyone on here has had lumbar fusion and how it affected your riding dressage. Riding is my life. I can't imagine not being able to do it. I have surfed online and have seen that some people have said they can no longer sit the trot due to immobility. My doctor said that because it is so low in the spine I shouldn't feel any difference othe than I will no longer have pain after I ride.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    "I've got to keep on chasin' that dream though I may never find it." - Boston

No experience I can share, but you might try cross posting in the Equestrians with Disabilities forum here...might get more posts.

Good luck!

Comment

Lumbar fusion

Hi,

About your questions on lumbar fusion, I had a riding accident in March of 1999 and ending up having a L5/S1 fusion along with bone grafts. I had only slight other damage to the spine above. I was back riding in 6 months to the day. I do have some lower back discomfort, but I ride everyday as many as 3 horses ( I am a trainer). Sitting the trot is no problem. I must add though, that I do pilates every week and the stretching and strength from that has made every aspect of my riding better. Good luck with your back. I hope you get the answer you seek.

Originally posted by Gr.Prix Dreamer View Post
      Hi,

I haven't been on here in a long time. I have spine issues and in '97 had a microdisckectomy on L5/S1. I saw my surgeon on Wednesday and he wants to do a laminectomy as well as spinal fusion with cages and screws at L4/5 where I have a pretty large herniation that has not gotten better for years even with PT and has in fact gotten worse to the point where I can barely tolerate riding and exercise. L5/S1 will need to be fused as well. I also have degeneritive disc disease and scleroderma to name just a few things.

I just wondered if anyone on here has had lumbar fusion and how it affected your riding dressage. Riding is my life. I can't imagine not being able to do it. I have surfed online and have seen that some people have said they can no longer sit the trot due to immobility. My doctor said that because it is so low in the spine I shouldn't feel any difference othe than I will no longer have pain after I ride.

Thanks.

Comment

i had two laminectomies (L3/L4), a cage, and a fusion. And I would tell as soon as I woke up it was better. The first week sucks (log rolling to get up/etc), but then I could walk up steps, actually knew where my feet were (was numb before). Everyone is different, but I am SO glad I had it done!!!! My GP student, who is also a back doc, recommended by dr (an orthopod who ONLY does backs)....but a nerologist would do the same thing. Are they doing it from the back, or from the front?? My surgery was 8.5 hours laying on the stomach...and your upper thighs will lose feeling...it takes about 3-6 months to return completely.
        I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

• Original Poster

RLamming - sorry to hear about your accident but I'm glad to hear that you are doing well. Thanks for the comment, it helps.

ideayoda - I've been doing the log roll to get out of bed for years! Your surgery sounds a lot like what I am considering. My biggest fear is that it will take away my riding.

I have so much medical stuff going on now, I spend more time at the hospital running tests and stuff than I do at the barn these days. The spine problem is the least of my worries right now. I was diagnosed with scleroderma last year and it has suddenly become very progressive. Add the spine problems to that and you have one miserable woman

Thanks for the replies!

Comment

Well, maybe consider that if your body no longer has to deal with constant pain from your back, your other issues may improve?
            Best of luck!

Comment

• Original Poster

Raff - very good point. I am on 13 different medications right now and my goal is to fix the back not only so I can keep riding but so that I can get off of some of the medications.

I have read that some dressage riders were not able to continue to ride comfortably with the fusion. Seems like it's up to the individual person. I don't think I could be ME if I couldn't ride. I would like to get back into competing at some point but right now I can only handle riding for about 30 minutes without causing myself severe pain.

I am a very determined person. I will ride pain or not but what scares me is that I'm bone on bone right now and smashing my nerves to bits which will just cause me more issues. If I have the surgery I may lose some mobility but at least I will not be causing any nerve damage.

I've also heard that riders have had to put off riding for a year....

Comment

Originally posted by Gr.Prix Dreamer View Post
                Hi,

Thanks.
                Is your Dr a neuro or ortho? Just curious. Had my surgeries done by a neurosurgeon.
                What would happen if you just had the lami instead of the fusion?
                Don't know how old you are but we all end up with some level of degenerative discs.(Don't know why its called disease) I'm told that after a while they fuse on their own.
                It was also explained to me that a fusion (surgery)would then put stress on the next level.
                Sounds like you have a healthy attitude and will work to overcome your issues. That's what it takes!!!
                Good luck.
                "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Comment

• Original Poster

He is an Ortho. He did my microdiskectomy in 97. I am going for a second opinion at Northwestern which is a great hospital. I go to the sclero clinic there and they have some of the best doctors in the nation.

I have so many questions. This is definately not something I want to jump into.

I am getting married in November and I would like to have this behind me so that I can enjoy the cruise we are going on.

Oh and I'll be 40 in July.

Comment

I have a full spinal fusion, done to correct scoliosis back in '97. I had to take a year off from riding, but now I'm back to it. Yes, it's harder to sit the trot, and my spine is sort of permanently twisted to the left, which makes riding to the right more challenging, but it's not that bad. (See pic below, you'll see what I mean.)

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._2358655_n.jpg

The main thing is, when horse-shopping, you'll want to place a heavy emphasis on choosing a horse with a gentler trot that's pretty easy to sit. I can't handle sitting a jarring trot. Not that it's painful, I just bounce-bounce-bounce! When we bought my husband's appaloosa, one of the biggest selling points for me was her smooth-as-butter trot.
                    Last edited by JCS; Jun. 13, 2011, 07:31 AM.

Comment

I dont have anything to add but a heart felt Dayum (southern damn!) and I hope it all turns out ok for you. Dayum!
                      "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                      ---
                      The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

• Original Poster

JCS I think it's amazing that you ride and you look awesome! I definately will not be horse shopping as I have my dream horse already. He has a ton of suspension and huge, beautiful gaits. I love to sit his trot because when he gives you his back it's like sitting on a big beach ball. He is fabulous, if I could only be 1/2 as good I'd be thrilled.

This surgery might make things better for me or they might make riding more painful than it already is. It's such a big decision, I just wish one of the doctors would say I HAD to have it done. It's so much harder to decide when it's considered an "elective" surgery. There are a lot of positives that could come from this. The worst thing that could happen would be that my riding would be taken away. That would kill me...even if all I can do is ride for pleasure, which is pretty much all I've been doing since my divorce and illness anyway, I'll be happy.

Oh decisons, decisions!!

Comment

Hello everyone.........last year got back to riding after 26 years and in mad love with it. Last August I was given a gift of a half Arabian --- she and her previous owner won region 16 dressage and horse of the year.

I've lived with low back pain for the last 20 years and am having 360 lumbar fusion of L4/L5 on July 20th. I miss riding SO much but my surgeon said at some point I can get back to it. I pretty much only pleasure ride and trail ride only and have a wonderful horse who enjoys no longer dressage testing but just the fun of it with me.

Read many of your posts and curious for any advise of the timeframe post lumbar fusion to getting back on plus any types of PT specific to getting back leg nd core strength.

Many many thanks,
                          Lisa (SA Fancy Free's adoring mom)

Comment

I had three lower level fused and five metal plates in 1989, that after two laminectomy surgeries. Yes you can ride and yes you can do sitting trot, altho I will admit sitting is a bit more challeging due to some loss of flexibility. The surgery was HELL and the recovery (which may not be as bad now) took 9 months in a back brace. But glad I did it!!!!!
                            www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

My daughter is fused from T3 to L4, titanium rods the full length and 27 screws. This was also to correct scoliosis, done in November of 2009.

She started riding again about 10 months after the surgery. She now says that riding actually makes her back feel better when it is a bit sore. She also does yoga 2x a week which was suggested by her surgeon.
                              Things Take Time

Comment

lumbar

Look into the new devices that are flexible rather than rigid. I am holding out for that. They are still experimental but that doesn't mean they won't work. The FDA is just very slow approving and insurance is fussy about anything not 50 years old.
                                The flexible ones will not stress the vertebrae above and below the "fusion" as a rigid one does. It should be better for riding too. Most docs will be nay-sayers so persist in your research and see who is doing trials.
                                http://TouchstoneAcres.com
                                Touchstone Acres Lipizzans, Standing N. Samira VI (Gray), N. XXIX-18(Black), more in 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X