• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

My first show - advice? Update #22, pics #28

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first show - advice? Update #22, pics #28

I'm going to my first dressage show next month with a mare I've been riding for awhile. I've ridden dressage for most of my riding "career", but have never shown before... The mare I've been riding is 10, but she's never been to one either (and can be kind of spooky to boot). When she gets looky, I tend to get a bit tense, so my trainer is going to be focusing on getting us spook-free and calm between now and then... We're doing a small schooling show next week to get our feet wet (near by shows are hunter, so we're going to do the hack classes).

Just wondering what advice everyone has for me?

TIA
    Last edited by Piaffe11; Jul. 12, 2011, 09:27 PM.

Get there at least 1.5 hours before your ride time so you aren't freaking over the clock.
    Once you check in and get settled, go wander with your horse til she's settled. Let her munch grass, take her over by the warmup ring, the competition ring, let her check everything out.
    Most horses warm up faster away from home, so if it normally takes your horse 30 minutes to rock and roll, give yourself 25 at the show and see what happens.
    The warmup arena is no place to 'work on' things, so if your 15m circle sucks at home, don't try perfecting at the show, you'll just drive you and your horse bananas.
    Make your goal to keep both you and the horse in a relaxed state of mind. If she starts getting tense, take a breather and work on something she's good at. If you fight about it in warmup you'll have a total meltdown in front of the judge.
    When in your test, if a cue doesn't happen clean, or you get a late transition or a ferret squirrely circle, don't panic, take a deep breath and regroup as quietly as you can, even if it takes another 20m of riding to get you back where you need to be. The important thing is that your horse understand that the show ring is not a place that will bring tension to your relationship.
    My only goal at my first dressage show, given to me by my trainer was, "keep him from crawling into the judges stand" and knowing that was really all that I had to accomplish took tremendous pressure off.
    If my horse isn't "bringin it" when we are in warmup, I don't project dissapointment or dominance to try and straighten his act out. I accept that today may just be another show exposure day, and surprisingly things then always work out for the best.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

Since my first time showing was just a little over a year ago, I still remember it quite well ... So my biggest piece of advice is:

Just observe how you will react to the show environment. I had no idea I was going to be THAT nervous, and it manifested in all energy draining and riding very constricted, resulting in a horse that is normally WAY forward being behind my leg. But you gotta show to find out how you react so that you can then work on strategies to deal with it. Let it be an exploratory experience. Showing well has to be learned by practicing. (And don't let yourself be pressured by all those wonderful stories of people going out the first time and doing super well, the MAJORITY of first timers don't win their classes... If you do well, great, if you don't -- who cares. Learn from it and do it again. And again and ....)

Also, all horses respond differently to the show environment as well. Some draw back, some get more exuberant, some focus more on their rider, some less. Be open to dealing with what you've got that moment -- not what you may have expected.

Oh, and when you enter think: Mr./Mrs. Judge, look at that BEAUTIFUL horse I'm presenting to you!
      "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

Comment

I took my OTTB to his first show ever in Feb. and decided it would be a rated show! And guess what? He babysat ME the whole time, LOL!! I was so nervous and he was SO calm I was thrilled. But something that did truly help me relax was to simply be thankful. I thought of how thankful I was that my horse was healthy and sound enough to show. Thankful that my body was fit, that my family was there watching, that I had great help at the clinic the week before, or even that I scraped the money together, etc. The list goes on and on. Be truly thankful for all the wonderful things that have led you to the show. That attitude of thankfulness will inspire you to be your best!!!

Comment

Sounds like the schooling show is a hunter jumper show and you are only doing the flat classes - is that correct? Be aware that the warm up rings at hunter jumper shows can be quite busy depending on what other classes may be going on at the same time or close to the same time. There may be people jumping, people walking on the rail, people hacking, people going in different directions all in the same ring. Make sure your horse is okay with horses coming directly at her. It looks like a mad house sometimes.

Just stay calm and do your own warm up staying on the rail and if you need to circle or change direction, watch to see that you are not in anyone jumpings path. Once you get into the arena things will seem calm to both you and your horse and you will probably be grateful to be away from the warm up ring and do quite well.

Comment

Stop twice around x. Have fun.
            "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
            ---
            The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

if you are doing a dressage test- my advice is to not sit around and watch the tests before you- keep yourself focused on your horse and your warm up. even if its walking around, doing some light work. I ALWAYS have a crappier ride when I get lazy and watch a couple of tests before my own ride. I ALWAYS do better when I ride up from the moment I'm on the horse in warm up until the moment we exit the show arena.
              My blog: Change of Pace - Retraining a standardbred via dressage

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice

Yes, I'll just be doing the flat classes at the hunter schooling show - but I really didn't think about how busy it would be! The mare is very used to horses coming up behind, passing, and that sort of thing in the ring at home, so I'm sure she'll have no problem with that. It's more new objects (i.e. judge's booth etc) and her in a new environment that I'm worried about (along with my nerves etc) lol Just want to be as prepared as possible

Comment

Bachs Rescue Remedy is your friend http://www.rescueremedy.com/ , well it's mine anyway I'm told you can also give it to horses, but I've never done that.

Apart from that, just go with the intention of having fun, I got a judges comment on my first ever judged test last year that said 'lovely smile' There were some other good points, but my main intention of the day was to celebrate the fact that I was actually riding in a show, and I deserved to be there, pinning in anything was going to be a bonus.

So my biggest tips, remember to smile and breathe, and let the rest take care of itself!

Good luck and have fun
                  I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Comment

Getting there early is crucial for the spooky horse!! With a first timer or green bean, we like to be pretty much the first ones there...then let the show build up around the horse! That way they can make all the adjustment one at a time instead of having to wrap their head around everything all at once and become totally overwhelmed by it!....Good luck, have fun...and keep us posted!!
                    "Success comes in cans, not in cannots!"

Comment

Get there early, spend a lot of time just hacking around so your mare can get used to all the activity. I take my greenies to shows as soon as they have a good enough "whoa." Even if they are not going to be shown, it helps them get used to the atmosphere. The more they travel, the better they will be.

Be prepared to do walk/canter canter/walk transitions in a hunter pleasure or hunter equitation class. You don't see those at low level dressage, but I encountered them in a green hunter class. Make sure that you don't enter "hunter hack" unless you are prepared to jump. "Hunter Hack" usually has two low fences. What you want to enter are the Hunter Under Saddle or Hunter Pleasure class and the Hunt Seat Equitation on the Flat class.

Comment

Don't forget your camera!

I agree with all the posts that encourage you to get there as early as possible. Walk your horse around the grounds before you tack up, let her look at things and even graze if there is an area for that.

If she gets to spooky and you don't feel comfortable/safe, you don't need to enter the classes. It may be your mare just needs to be in the atmosphere only the first time and that's okay.

Bring hay so she has something to munch on while tied to the trailer.

My most important advice: have fun!!
                        Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
                        http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
                        http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Comment

B R E A T H E!

Most important.

Come out of the ring with no dirt on your breeches.

Hug your horse, provide treats and be grateful that you can be there.

Do not plan on doing any more than you do at home. Don't change any piece of equipment. Smile and think good thoughts no matter what.

You can do anything else you want at your SECOND show! Lol!

Enjoy!
                          “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
                          ? Albert Einstein

Comment

Wait, what? No dirt on your breeches? You, horsefaerie, are better at this showing thing than I am. This I can guarantee.

To the OP-- Mistakes happen. Usually only on one movement. Once they happen, move on. Don't dwell. Just keep actively riding your test as if the mistake never happened. Took me forever to get that.

Comment

Pack some imodium in your trunk in case of show nerves. Dirt is not the only threat to white breeches!
                              Last edited by Carol O; Jun. 10, 2011, 11:47 PM.

Comment

OH yeah, on the thought of white breeches, even if you aren't due, or you think that you are old enough to be past that sort of thing, take some protection with you. This old woman was just so delighted (NOT) to have her first monthly for 6 months the very weekend that she was doing her first show in decades, and her first white breeches event ever.
                                I'm not sure if I grew out of stupid or ran out of brave.

Practicing Member of the Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine Clique

Comment

• Original Poster

Wow - lots of stuff to think about (lots I wouldn't have thought about... lol)! Thanks everyone for advice/suggestions Bought my first pair of white (albeit full seat - yuck) breeches yesterday. Now only about a million other things to organize and I will feel moderately ready! I will let you know how it goes!

Comment

Originally posted by Carol O View Post
                                    Pack some immodium in your trunk in case of show nerves. Dirt is not the only threat to white breeches!
                                    Ditto. During show season, I single handily support whoever makes Pepto Bismol. Also, try to pack healthier food. When I'm nervous, eating greasy food (and I'm a vegetarian) never makes me feel better!

Also, if you do borrow tall boots, ride in them before the show day! This goes for any tack or clothes you'll be wearing. Things may fit fine, but sometimes they can catch movements that you weren't prepared for and the show ring isn't the place to find out! This was especially true for me with boots.The boots were way slippier than my half chaps. Just my .02!!

Have fun!
                                    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. -Christopher Hitchens

Comment

You said "yuck" on full seats. Do you not ride in fullseats often? You might want to ride in a similar pair a few times first because the thicker ones do feel different (and also can make your boot fit a bit tighter), unless you're already used to it.

Remember to have fun! As a trainer at one of the local colleges likes to say, "you're not curing cancer, just riding horses."

Comment

Practice & Pretend

As an instructor with lots of both kids and adults getting into the show scene for the first time, good advice would be to pretend you're going to a show. Get your show clothes on, especially the boots you're going to show in, put on your white gloves (or black if that's what you're showing in) and go ride your test like you are facing a judge at letter C. The real thing will be so much easier after this dress rehearsal.

Comment

Working...
                                        X