• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Possible to ride dressage in CC saddle?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to ride dressage in CC saddle?

Just curious if anyone shows lower levels or does dressage in a close contact saddle? Do you find that having a CC saddle at a show brings your score down? Also since the flaps are foreward and require more bend are you still able to cue your horse effectively to do flatwork?

I ride in a CC saddle. I haven't shown and probably won't, but I know that at the IEL shows, the kids ride in their jumping saddles. I'm interested to hear what the rules are on this.

As far as any difference in aids, for me, there are none. Maybe because the saddle is black.

The only difference is that my stirrups are shorter. I can't get them shorter in a dressage saddle because of the knee rolls. I love my new saddle, and it has enabled me to continue to ride. It's just way, way easier on my creaky hips.
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Comment

I found the rule:

DR121 Saddlery and Equipment.
      1. An English type saddle with stirrups is compulsory for Federation and USDF tests. An English type saddle may be constructed with or without a tree but cannot have a horn, swell, gallerie, or open gullet. Australian, Baroque, Endurance, McClellan, Spanish, Stock, or Western saddles are not permitted nor are modified versions of these saddles (exception: competitors with a current approved Federation Dispensation Certificate). A Dressage saddle which must be close to the horse and have long, near-vertical flaps and stirrups is compulsory for FEI tests.

So, it looks like a close contact is fine up to FEI levels. As a matter of fact, all purpose saddles were made to be suitable for both jumping and dressage.

A helmet saved my life.

Comment

Originally posted by paintedworld View Post
        Just curious if anyone shows lower levels or does dressage in a close contact saddle? Do you find that having a CC saddle at a show brings your score down? Also since the flaps are foreward and require more bend are you still able to cue your horse effectively to do flatwork?
        you won't get marked down, but honestly, a dressage saddle is designed to put you in a position to do dressage (legs underneath you,effective use of seatbones and body weight, etc), and a cc saddle isn't (designed for forward-seat riding). The judge is mainly judging the horse but in my opinion you can't get the same kind of ride from a forward seat saddle as you can from a dressage saddle. Similarly, my experience tells me you can't effectively jump in a dressage saddle.

J.
        Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Comment

Show in the cc until you are able to get a dressage saddle - you will be fine to start off this way, lots of folks (including me) have!

Start looking for an inexpensive "starter" dressage saddle - maybe used, maybe synthetic - or if you're one of the lucky ones - go for a really good one!! You will find it improves your position and communication for dressage - your leg will be where it should, and your weight properly distributed,etc.

Good luck! Have fun!! You won't be the first (and maybe not the only) person at the show in a cc.

Comment

I rode all three phases in one saddle for years, and it was no problem. One less piece of tack to clean! It's nice to have a dressage saddle now, but I would wait until you find and can afford one that fits you really well. "Life is too short for cheap tack" is my new motto!!

Comment

I'm an eventer, but I'm on my way to a dressage clinic in my close contact saddle right now! Now that I feel we do dressage well enough to deserve another saddle I'm looking for one that fits me and my horse and it's a chore.
              http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

As any eventer will tell you, yes you can do lower-level dressage in a CC saddle and it would be against the rules for a judge to penalize you for it. Until you get to Second Level, there's nothing in the tests that can't be done (mechanically speaking) in a CC saddle. Look at the movements at First Level: w/t/c on the bit, leg yield, stretchy circle, lengthening, simple change of lead, 10 meter circle at trot, 15 m circle at canter. If those things weren't eminently possible in a CC saddle, then there would be no such thing as "the discipline of show jumping."

And I say this as someone who does own, and love, a dressage saddle. But on days when I plan to jump/do conditioning work up and down hills/do some trail riding in addition to the dressage, I don't hesitate to school Training and First in a CC saddle.
                Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

My daughter rides dressage. She started out in my VSD Stubben (all purpose but more for dressage). I took one lesson in the saddle and started looking for another saddle for her. You just could not get and keep your legs in the right position. You were fighting the saddle the whole ride. Even the slight forward slant of the flaps was enough to be an obstacle. Her trainer confirmed that the saddle was making it more difficult for my daughter to adopt a correct position. That said, I did not spend a ton of money on a new saddle; we're on a very, very strict budget. I found a nice Passier dressage saddle for under $400 on ebay. Since then I've been looking for myself and I just bought a lovely, almost unused, older Collegiate dressage saddle for $200. It does take time and patience, but there are some great deals to be had on nice, used saddles.
                  "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Comment

Originally posted by ptownevt View Post
                    My daughter rides dressage. She started out in my VSD Stubben (all purpose but more for dressage). I took one lesson in the saddle and started looking for another saddle for her. You just could not get and keep your legs in the right position. You were fighting the saddle the whole ride. Even the slight forward slant of the flaps was enough to be an obstacle.
                    "All purpose saddle with a dressage bent" is not equivalent to "a well-fitted and properly balanced saddle made specifically for jumping." I wouldn't care to try dressage in a Stubben VSD either, but only because it is (IMO) a poorly balanced saddle that is not designed for any kind of serious finesse in the saddle. It's a saddle for people who trail ride, hunt second flight, that sort of thing.

However, I have seen an eventer WIN the recognized dressage at Training Level in a Stubben Siegfried CS (an all-purpose model with a much stronger bent toward jumping).

Comment

I found I could effectively school in my all purpose until I began schooling First/Second and had to sit. It was very difficult to get my legs underneath me and to keep a correct alignment in order to sit effectively in my all purpose. Finding a properly fitting dressage saddle made an absolute world of difference for me.
                      So yes, you can certainly ride dressage in a close contact or all purpose (I showed in an all purpose for years when I did combined training tests and Training Level dressage). But if your goal is to move up the levels, I would eventually begin looking for a dressage saddle that will make the journey a bit easier for you.
                      Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

A Voice Halted

Comment

Technically you can of course ride dressage movements in a CC saddle, especially at the lower levels. Riding in a proper dressage saddle will put you in a better balance for proper dressage work, though.

I started with my mustang in a western saddle and that puts my leg in a more dressage-type position than a jumping saddle. When he grew out of that, though, the only other saddle I had that fit him was a jumping saddle. Having grown up doing h/j, it is so easy for me to ride in that position again (forward seat) vs. keeping a dressage seat - that's what a jumping saddle is designed for, after all.

I'm in the process of trialing a couple dressage saddles and the difference in how I'm able to be balanced throughout my whole body in order to support my horse is substantial. It is much easier to "do dresage" in a dressage saddle!
                        My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Comment

Originally posted by jn4jenny View Post
                          "All purpose saddle with a dressage bent" is not equivalent to "a well-fitted and properly balanced saddle made specifically for jumping." I wouldn't care to try dressage in a Stubben VSD either, but only because it is (IMO) a poorly balanced saddle that is not designed for any kind of serious finesse in the saddle. It's a saddle for people who trail ride, hunt second flight, that sort of thing.
                          Well, excuuuuuse me.
                          "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Comment

I have been riding in my close contact for the past year in which i started dressage lessons. I agree with another poster that stated you are constantly fighting with your position depending on the saddle. I am already position challenged and I have a difficult horse, but I just bought a used dressage saddle and I already feel the difference in my horse, it is like he is sighing a breath of relief that i am in better balance with him!! I got a great used Albion for $750, deals are out there right now.

Comment

Originally posted by ptownevt View Post
                              Well, excuuuuuse me.
                              Um, ok. If you took my comment in offense, then I apologize. But my point was simply that the Stubben VSD is not a close contact saddle nor a cousin to a close contact saddle, which means that your experience trying to dressage in a Stubben VSD has little relevance to the OP's question--which is about riding dressage in a close contact saddle.

I didn't say it's a useless saddle. I said it's a saddle that's not optimally or primarily interested in keeping your leg in a balanced position underneath you. We seem to agree on that, so I don't know why you took offense.

Comment

Of course you can ride dressage in a close contact saddle. You should not depend on the shape/padding of a saddle to put your legs in the "correct" position. Spend enough time riding without stirrups and your legs will find the right position for your body.

Comment

Not all c/c saddles are created the same. Some have more forward flaps. Some tend to sit you more forward. The one I use on occasion allows me to sit in almost the same position as my dressage saddle and it is much, much easier on my hips when widing the very wide horses. I find that I am able to effectively ride w/o problems for the most part.

I know of at least 2 dressage trainers that will ride in c/c saddles at different time especially when their backs are sore.
                                  Susan B.
                                  http://canterberrymeadows.com/

Comment

I read the post wrong and thought you'd typed cross country.

My personal take on using my CC for dressage is that the flaps hit me in an odd place with longer stirrups, and the saddle certainly doesn't *help* my position - but it allows me to be in just about any position I want. I actually like it, but more for working on myself than my horse. I have trouble relaxing my body enough, only supporting with my core - and if I attempt to ride in the CC and stay too tense without being in a more jumping type position, I flop like crazy. It essentially is good for testing my own riding, not as good for me to work on teaching a horse.
                                    Originally posted by Silverbridge
                                    If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

Originally posted by NCSue View Post
                                      Not all c/c saddles are created the same...The one I use on occasion allows me to sit in almost the same position as my dressage saddle and it is much, much easier on my hips when riding the very wide horses. I find that I am able to effectively ride w/o problems for the most part.

I know of at least 2 dressage trainers that will ride in c/c saddles at different time especially when their backs are sore.
                                      this

A helmet saved my life.

Comment

I ride and show in a cc saddle. Honestly, for the lower levels it is more than sufficient and have never had any judge's comments made regarding the use of it. I too was worried at first that I would stick out but honestly, if you ride well then no one will notice. And IMO, many young horses who are still filling out seem more comfortable in a CC saddle to start out with.

Comment

Working...
                                        X