• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

The Judging Was Awful!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Judging Was Awful!!!

This information needs to get to the USEF!!

If you are a USEF member and have a comment, complaint, or praise about any licensed official at a show, PLEASE complete a confidential evaluation form and send it to the USEF.

Also, take a moment to provide feedback about your experience to show organizers.

We have no one to blame but ourselves if we complain on a message board but don't take advantage of official channels of communication to help bring about changes.

The forms should be available at shows or you can get it here: http://www.usef.org/documents/compet...Evaluation.pdf.

I know that compliments are forwarded to judges (without a name attached) because from time to time judges have told me that they've received them. I believe complaints are recorded. They may also be forwarded and nobody wants to admit it.

Janet adds:
    I have been led to believe (don't know if it true or not) that if a judge receives two or more negative comments on basically the same thing, the judge will be contacted and informed of the gist of it, though they will not see the actual comments.

When it is time to renew a judge's license, I think the LOC reads everything in the judge's file.

(This is based on a reply I made elsewhere that I'm reposting because I think this information may be useful to folks who aren't following that particular thread (here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=305692).)
    Last edited by AllWeatherGal; May. 24, 2011, 02:58 PM. Reason: edited to add Janet's information, edited to add link to original message per atlatl request
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Could you provide a link to the other thread please?

Comment

link doesn't load
      www.destinationconsensusequus.com
      chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

Are we talking about a real show? Or is this because of the other conversation about judging as a whole, based on the article?
        "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

Comment

I think it's referring to post #9 (and others) on the Sally O'Connor thread.

Comment

FWIW, the judge was NOT Sally.
            And yes, an evaluation was filled out and sent to the appropriate parties.

Comment

• Original Poster

Petstorejunkie (link doesn't load ) ... not sure how to help. It loads for me. This is the URL again: http://www.usef.org/documents/compet...Evaluation.pdf (the message board does not allow the URL without formatting)

Velvet (Are we talking about a real show? Or is this because of the other conversation about judging as a whole, based on the article? ) ... A real show. The form requires a competition name and date. It was in response to someone commenting about bad judging (by an unnamed judge) on the Sally O'Connor thread.

atlatl (Could you provide a link to the other thread please? ) ... please see first post which has been edited to include a referral to the Sally O'Connor thread.

joiedevie99 (I think it's referring to post #9 (and others) on the Sally O'Connor thread.) ... thanks

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by MeghanDACVA View Post
                FWIW, the judge was NOT Sally.
                And yes, an evaluation was filled out and sent to the appropriate parties.
                Awesome

Comment

Oh, and FWIW, the judging itself was quite good. The judge was actually far kinder than I would have been to me. It was nice that they didn't nail the entire movement for a fooble that was only a stride or 2 but rather scored the good and the bad of it together. And the scores definitely reflected that. Which was refreshing after mostly seeing scores and comments that only reflect the mistake made and no credit or comment regarding what was done right the other 90% of the movement.

Comment

Looking at the form, it appears that (since it is anonymous) it can be completed by anybody - is that the intention, or does anybody know more about this?
                    For example, if I scribed for a judge and had comments, should I fill one out? (I don't usually scribe at USEF recognized shows, so this is a very hypothetical question - if I have feedback on a judge at a schooling show, I give it to the show manager)

If you are a USEF member grooming for a friend, and recognize something (positive, negative, whatever), should you still report it?

In other words, should these forms be used by competitors only, or should any observer fill them out?

Comment

The USEA form (which I used since I event) asks you if you were competitor, volunteer, groom, owner, volunteer, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhiannonjk View Post
                        For example, if I scribed for a judge and had comments, should I fill one out? (I don't usually scribe at USEF recognized shows, so this is a very hypothetical question - if I have feedback on a judge at a schooling show, I give it to the show manager)
                        Yes, if you scribe and you have a comment - it doesn't have to be a bad thing, it could be praise - pass it along. I once ran a show which was a USEF/USDF approved dressage show. The judge was warned that it would be mostly kids and AA and probably all either Intro or Training Level, but apparently she forgot. She turned to the scribe and said, "Here comes yet another fat middle aged woman down the centerline. She has no business trying to show."

The scribe reported her for this. If you see or hear anything like this, please do report it.

Also, most judges at schooling shows have some sort of credentials. If the judge is a USDF "L" Program graduate, your comment should go to USDF. If the judge is a USEF judge, even at a schooling show, your comments can go to both USDF and USEF.

Comment

Oh, that's very good to know.

And if I heard the "Fat middle-aged woman" comment, it might cause me to completely loose my cool. I scribed for one judge who had a great reputation, but seemed to be in a completely sour spell for the day, and at least had a conversation with the show manager afterward about the general "Tone" of the show as a result. There were times where she told me to write something, and I wanted to just say "No."

Comment

I did over hear a woman at the most recent show complaining to the show manager that a judge had made a comment about her lips and made the case that how could she have been watching that specific movement if she was looking at her mouth. The manager asked her if she wanted to file a complaint and the woman declined, saying it's not that big of a deal. I don't know about some, but it's a pretty big deal when I drop $400+ on a weekend show and get comments that have nothing to do with the test I'm riding...

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by ACP View Post
                              Yes, if you scribe and you have a comment - it doesn't have to be a bad thing, it could be praise - pass it along. ...
                              I have to say that I definitely let show management know if I have high praise or serious concern about a judge, *and* I would respond to a judge's unkind remark made privately to me in the judge's booth with a mild reminder such as "Well, yes, but in this area we don't often have the opportunity to get feedback from someone of your caliber and I imagine they're are looking forward to your professional evaluation."

But I wouldn't write a report to the USEF about a judge from my "private" knowledge as a scribe. It feels like breaking a confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by MYalterID View Post
                                I did over hear a woman at the most recent show complaining to the show manager that a judge had made a comment about her lips and made the case that how could she have been watching that specific movement if she was looking at her mouth. The manager asked her if she wanted to file a complaint and the woman declined, saying it's not that big of a deal. I don't know about some, but it's a pretty big deal when I drop $400+ on a weekend show and get comments that have nothing to do with the test I'm riding...
                                I was hoping someone would bring up that episode, it got spread pretty far around the showgrunds that day. The comment was enclosed in a handwritten box by the judge and was to the effect of "did you know you lick your lips constantly when you ride". Completely inappropriate comment, and I wish she would have filed a formal complaint about it.

Comment

Originally posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
                                  The comment was enclosed in a handwritten box by the judge and was to the effect of "did you know you lick your lips constantly when you ride". Completely inappropriate comment, and I wish she would have filed a formal complaint about it.
                                  Well, I don't have a dog in this fight since I don't show dressage, but I think if I was making a face or something similar that was awful enough to distract the judge enough for her to make a comment about it, I'd kind of like to know. Some of these things can affect your ride. I mean if breathing can then couldn't tenseness that surfaced in constant lip licking also?

Maybe the rider should tie her tongue LOL!
                                  ::Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you::

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by MYalterID View Post
                                    and made the case that how could she have been watching that specific movement if she was looking at her mouth. ... and get comments that have nothing to do with the test I'm riding...
                                    Couple of observations from my experience watching judges and my own lessons.

1. "Did you know that ..." is a question more than criticism and if it was in a hand-written box, I think it was meant to be helpful rather than catty or insulting.

2. Judges really CAN see the entirety of what's going on in front of them. That's how they can see what's going on with the horse's mouth, the rider's hands, the horse's legs, and the rider's seat. Licking one's lips could be VERY distracting and have caught the judge's attention as she was assessing a cause for tension somewhere.

I purse my lips. A lot. My new instructor believes the tension in my mouth affects the entire "system" of horse and rider. I'm glad someone pointed out this habit of mine, and happier that it's my instructor at home rather than a judge at a show, but still ... you can't address what you don't know about.

Comment

Originally posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
                                      I was hoping someone would bring up that episode, it got spread pretty far around the showgrunds that day. The comment was enclosed in a handwritten box by the judge and was to the effect of "did you know you lick your lips constantly when you ride". Completely inappropriate comment, and I wish she would have filed a formal complaint about it.
                                      Actually, I think it's good that the judge pointed it out. When I was a kid, whenever I jumped I stuck my tongue out, clenched between my teeth, until the day something went very very wrong and I bit my tongue! Yes, my instructor had pointed it out to me, but it was a hard habit to break. Lip-licking could lead to a similar outcome...
                                      You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

I did the same thing ( sticking the tongue out) and didnt beleive it until someone showed me a video... I would want to know if I was doing something very distracting...

Comment

Working...
                                        X