• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Cold Backed- Dealbreaker?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Backed- Dealbreaker?

So there's a 9yo horse at my barn that is there in training to be sold. He's apparently cold backed- arches up against the saddle when it's put on and for the first few minutes when the rider is on. After that when he relaxes, he can do all the PSG work (scoring in the mid 60's in Germany). The arched back doesn't come back during the ride but when he gets nervous he is uneven in front. Assuming he's been thoroughly vetted (I'm not quite sure) and I know he's had a saddler look at him and an acupuncturist/chiro--- Would that be a deal breaker for you or would you be okay with it if it was manageable? What would you pay for this kind of horse? Movement is cute but not super flashy, horse is normal sized at about 16.1 or 2 and seems to be sane and safe.

Personally for me, as a first timer cold backed isn't something I'd want to deal with. Like you said though; other issues have to be eliminated, but all things being equal I would not consider it.

That being said, remember that opinions are like backsides; we all have one.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

This horse scored in the mid 60's at PSG in Germany - probably against much tougher competition than what you would find here in the States and you would turn him down because he is cold backed for a few minutes at the beginning of the ride????????????? If you're afraid of that, just lunge him for a couple of minutes before you get on. If he rides well for you and you pass him up for this, well, sorry for you.
      Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
      Now apparently completely invisible!

Comment

I have found thru the years, they have yet to make the "perfect" horse that has no holes! It all biols down to what you can live with.
        www.shawneeacres.net

Comment

It all biols down to what you can live with.

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. The poster is right; no such thing as a perfect horse, but the worse thing to do is to be talked into a horse that is not right for you. It reminds me of what a respected dog trainer used to ask, "Do you have the dog you want" (Job Michael Evans).

Paula
          He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

I wouldn't have a problem with cold backed-it wouldn't even be an issue for me. My mom would absolutely never even consider a cold backed horse.
            Its all about what you can live with/want to handle. But, if resale is in your future, keep whatever hole you buy in mind.
            Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Tiki View Post
              This horse scored in the mid 60's at PSG in Germany - probably against much tougher competition than what you would find here in the States and you would turn him down because he is cold backed for a few minutes at the beginning of the ride????????????? If you're afraid of that, just lunge him for a couple of minutes before you get on. If he rides well for you and you pass him up for this, well, sorry for you.
              This is pretty much my opinion as well. He was priced between 80-100k€ and has been for sale for about a year because Germans really don't want to deal with anything like that. My trainer has him and advised his owner that if he wants to sell him then he's going to have to drastically drop his price to find someone willing to manage this issue so now the owner is willing to entertain any offer (not really sure exactly what that means yet since no offer has been made by anyone... but my trainer thinks he has to take less than 20k for him.) If it were a young horse I'd say no way but a confirmed PSG horse that would probably score very well in the States I think that is a bargain...

Comment

I often wonder what cold backed really means. If he's been tried by a lot of people, pushed in is schooling, had that certain button pushed a few times too many, maybe he is anticipating....once you get him, gain his trust, go along with his quirk, treat him very gently, maybe it will not be an issue - along with the normal treatment available. Are you a young and confident rider - ? He would not do for me at my age, but for the right rider I'd say it was not a deal breaker for the education he can give you and for the right price.
                Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

• Original Poster

My trainer wonders if he had an accident at some point because she said you can't feel one of his ribs on one side but you can feel all the others. I'm not real sure yet- we are going to play with him this week. I don't have much money so which ever way it may not work out. I am young- I am confident after I've been on the horse for a several rides to know what they are capable of. My important qualities are safe first, then an education would be nice, then competition would be nice. It doesn't have to have show stopping movement as long as there is a good brain.

Comment

He was priced between 80-100k€ and has been for sale for about a year because Germans really don't want to deal with anything like that. My trainer has him and advised his owner that if he wants to sell him then he's going to have to drastically drop his price to find someone willing to manage this issue so now the owner is willing to entertain any offer (not really sure exactly what that means yet since no offer has been made by anyone... but my trainer thinks he has to take less than 20k for him
                    sorry but I'm rather sceptical that his issue is minor - do consider that if you buy him at this amazing price, you will likely resell him at a similarly amazing price (going with my suspicion that it's not just "cold backed").
                    OTOH if he can do what you need/want & you're satisfied with the vet report ...

I'd definitley look into insurance on him - not sure how that stands in Germany.

Comment

but my trainer thinks he has to take less than 20k for him.)
                      seriously?? Just becuase he's cold backed. But he's competed and is sound AND sane?

WOW is all I can say.

Cold backed wouldn't put me off.
                      I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Comment

There is a large enough pool of riders at the 4th/PSG level that wouldn't be bothered that it shouldn't prevent a sale at a reasonable price. While 80-100k euro sounds too high, 20k USD sounds way too low. I'd think he would sell around $50k USD.

Comment

I have a cold backed horse. He "came" that way - no injury or issue, since I bought him as a weanling. He launched me once before I discovered he was cold backed. I now lunge him before riding, but it does not take much lunging - less than 5 minutes. Absolutely no issues under saddle once lunged other than being a tiny bit humpy once in a great while.

I do hate lunging a horse, but I have realized it's just got to be part of this guy's routine. But, it is very worth the small inconvenience - this guy has super movement, always scores 8s on movement, and routinely scored in the very high 60s and lower 70s last year at training level. With me, older adult amateur, piloting.

So, I would not hesitate to buy a cold backed horse if it was a nice horse. Your average, garden-variety horse? Maybe not so much. But that's mostly because I really do HATE lunging.
                          Donerail Farm
                          www.donerailfarm.com
                          http://donerailfarm.wordpress.com/

Comment

there's cold backed and then there's COLD BACKED.

in my experience, there is a difference. We have two mares in the barn who I would consider in the general category. Little Arab mare is cold backed. By this I mean that until she is fit and worked consistently for some time, she will waddle and hump her back when you get on. If you do deep bending circles right off the mounting block, her back warms up and she's fine.

mare number two is a big Dutch Harness Arab cross who will buck you off as soon as look at you on any given day. She fusses through the entire saddling process. She really humps and really waddles when you get on and there is no rhyme nor reason as to when she will do it. Doesn't matter if she has had time off or has been worked consistently. And if you aren't careful how you ride that first walking warm up, she will buck.

For the record, both mares are healthy with well fitted tack. Cold backed is a matter of individual horses, the severity of it and whether a rider can manage it skillfully. And every horse is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Sounds like the trainer really dislikes this habit and has no use for the horse because of it.
                            ...don't sh** where you eat...

Comment

• Original Poster

The horse market is.... ummm.... different over here. My friend has a very nice and cute little 14yo horse that is solid PSG and will do some one tempis and is starting half steps that she was thinking of selling for 18k euro. He was this price because he was small. Same horse in the States? $60k.
                              I dunno- we'll see what happens with it all. I'm not really in the position to buy right now anyway but if he sits on the market longer then that probably increases my chances of being able to afford him. I'll update after I sit on him this week! Oh, and the above price of 20k was in euro and not dollar (and the exchange rate is in the toilet right now...)

Comment

• Original Poster

Actually Winfieldfarm- the trainer does really like him and thinks the problem is fine for her if she didn't already have too many horses. He's been on the market for over a year because of this and it seems in general Germans have a very low tolerance for anything out of the ordinary (because there's sooooooo many nice horses here.) He was sent to her from a sales barn because they wanted to see if the problem can be fixed and not just managed and that if anyone comes to try him then the history and the problem have to be fully disclosed and there are more competitive horses to choose from I suppose.

Comment

If he otherwise vets healthy, it's a small price to pay for a what sounds like an AMAZING horse. And the Germans don't want to deal? Sheesh, they deal! I know a gal who shipped her PSG horse back to Germany to be sold and he was the epitome of cold backed AND he was very tricky to ride (well).
                                  Last edited by InsideLeg2OutsideRein; May. 16, 2011, 05:49 PM.
                                  "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

Comment

I agree with other posters that are telling you that there is not perfect horse and the horse you buy and or ride are a matter of what you are willing to manage or put up with. My retired horse is a cribber. It is very manageable and his temperament and work ethic were so great that I didn't care that he cribbed.

I use to ride a schooling horse that was cold backed. If you did not ride 2-point for the first 10 minutes of the ride he would go into a bucking fit. Great in every other way and I loved him. would have bought him if he was for-sale.

My last situation was my dream horse in every way except he would spook randomly at things you have ridden him past many times during the riding session, if you did not lunge him really well once a week.

The barn where I ride and where his owner would like him to stay is very busy so it is difficult to lunge and I by nature am not a lunger, I have nothing against lunging I have been trained on how to do it and I can do it well.

But if I am honest with myself when I get home form work I want to go to the barn and just ride. So my dream horse is not the right horse for me and the fact that he put me in the hospital on a day that I should have lunged and didn't did not help either.
                                    Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
                                    -Auntie Mame

Comment

I rode a cold backed horse for ten years. I always lunged him 5 mins. both directions before mounting-gradually tightening the girth. He was such a sweet guy and tried not to go into crow-hopping mode, but he really couldn't help it. After ten years, I can't say that it got any worse and he was relaxed in the back and fine after being warmed up on the longe.

Comment

COld backed can also be a symptom of kissing spine - so I would have the back xrayed if you decide to move forward. Spine xrays are common in europe these days - the Westfalen auction house does them on every horse as do the Oldenburg auction as well.
                                        RoseLane Sportponies
                                        Golden State - 2012 Bundeschampion & 2014 USDF Horse of the Year
                                        Golden West - 2014 & 2015 Bundeschampion Pony Stallion
                                        Petit Marc Aurel- FEI Dressage Pony Stallion

Comment

Working...
                                        X