• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Supple, forward...Belgian?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supple, forward...Belgian?

So I've had this argument with folks before. I have a thing for drafts and am looking for a draft cross that can do dressage, competitive trail, hunter paces, hill topping, etc. I've not looked at many full drafts because they usually have a hard time doing things like a canter depart without running into it, they have a hard time bending, and their straight shoulder lends itself to a hackney trot and prohibits extension.

I know I know; drafts don't do dressage. Believe you me I've had the dressing down on another board Thing is I like riding big ole drafty horses. Am I looking for a dressage horse? No I'm looking for a horse that can do dressage, among other things. So that rules out straight shoulders, heavy drafts that can't use their butts to lift themselves into a canter, and can't flex at the poll or bend. Like I said: I've been looking at crosses, hoping to have my cake and eat it too.

Well. I saw an ad for a full Belgian mare, 6 years old, 1250lbs. That's pretty darned light for a Belgian so I emailed the seller and asked about whether her horse was a light as she sounded and whether she could do the things I wanted her to do. She said yes. So I went to see her at her trainers on my way to Meeting today. Couldn't ride because of course I'm in my church/meeting clothes.

Well. She's been in training so she's a little light right now. However:
    1. Sloped shoulder extended trot (as much as she was trained to do). No high knee action. (You've seen that knee action in Haffies and Belgians).

2. She's about 16 hh. Not downhill. She might even be a hair uphill, but let's call her level.

3.Solid WTC. Harder to pick up her canter on the left side.

4. Bends (cowboy did a side pass - the Western equivalent of a half pass except you're traveling in the direction of the outside curve).

5. Flexes. Relaxed topline.

6. Not ploddy. Energetic, forward.

Soooo did I just meet a supple, forward, dressage....Belgian?

I'm going to test ride her next weekend.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I had a full Belgian mare, 17.2H, that did up to 3rd level dressage, jumped very nicely although I didn't let her go much over 2'3" on a regular basis, had as much endurance, forwardness, and athletic ability as any of the TBs in my barn. Keep in mind that just because the horse is a draft it doesn't mean that the horse is dead calm, unathletic, and cumbersome. My girl was very supple, had an excellent shoulder, laterals and collected work were very easy. Extensions/lengthenings took a little longer and more effort. Sadly she developed an allergy to biting bugs so had to move up north for her health. That was a sad decision.

I now have a 15.3H Pinto draft mare that has only been under saddle for a year. Her conformation isn't quite as good and she's much wider but as far as heart, willingness, ability to learn, athletic ability, acceptance of contact, suppleness, bendability I have no complaints. Any issues we have under saddle are strictly baby issues. We score, usually, in the low to mid 60s on training level tests.

While neither of my drafts showed signs of EPSM I still fed them a low carb, high fat diet with additional vit E. I also keep them on joint supplement and shod on all 4.

You may run into a judge that is a little opinionated but I've found a well ridden test is scored as a well ridden test. Anytime I've received a lower score it was deserved.

I do present my draft with a pulled mane and clipped feathers. That's my own personal choice as I think she looks neater, is cooler. and the braided traditional mane makes her neck look longer.
    Susan B.
    http://canterberrymeadows.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you so much, Susan. I was wondering whether I was seeing things. I knew I had my bias for the heavy horses, coupled with not knowing much about conformation beyond the obvious (uphill/downhill, sickle hock, etc). Thank you also for the information on EPSM. Were you able to keep her in good muscle with your low carb/high fat diet?

You pull the mane as opposed to braiding or are you saying braiding is also a good effect? I have to admit I find clipped feathers much more tidy.

One thing with this gal - she was docked so she has a short tail. Would you tie such a tail up?

Also I have heard feedback from people that Belgians are not nice horses. She seemed like a fine girl to me. Have you heard such a thing?

BTW I'm going to take a trainer with me when I ride her.

Paula

Comment

Originally posted by paulaedwina View Post
        Also I have heard feedback from people that Belgians are not nice horses. She seemed like a fine girl to me. Have you heard such a thing?

BTW I'm going to take a trainer with me when I ride her.

Paula
        I don't have much to add, but I think you should buy the horse that will make you happy, and ignore stereotypes when at all possible . A sound horse with a good mind, a good heart and a good attitude is worth it's weight in gold, no matter what you decide to do with it or what breed it is (in my humble, non-competitive opinion if it's worth anything!).

And while I know little about Belgians, I always smile seeing non-traditional horses in dressage at any level...so please share how your ride goes and post pictures if you decide to buy her! Good luck!

Comment

• Original Poster

Well I do have some pictures on my desktop from this morning. My friend plays with her camera alot. They are a bit blurry. She is skinny. She went into training and dropped alot of weight. Maybe I can post them to my flickr
          et voila http://www.flickr.com/photos/5296733...in/photostream

Paula

Comment

If you like drafts, get a draft. Dressage=training, so train what you love.

I rode two draft crosses a while back, and one key conformational difference made all the difference in terms of their suitability for dressage, IMO. Maybe this will help you shop.

Horse 1: TB/Perch: Lovely head, neck, shoulder, bone, but the hind end had the steep downward slope that some drafts have, and the loin connection was so-so. Additionally, the horse's hindquarter was short {horizontally} in relation to its body. Overall, many people would love this horse's look--not drafty, pretty.

The ride: The horse was archy in the neck, but had real trouble getting past the false frame and coming through. Seemed to struggle with lower back strength.

Horse 2: Perch/Paint: Big draft head, short wedge neck, sloping shoulder, uphill with a fab loin connection, short back, and big round butt--no drafty "peak." Still, this horse would look like a plug to the casual onlooker. Much homelier than horse 1.

The ride: While the neck wasn't ideal, this horse had a great natural power and softness in his back. That strong loin/hind end produced an amazingly soft and adjustable ride, and the neck could have been worked around, since this horse was soooo strong in the back. This horse was wayyy greener than horse 1 but was further along and had waaaay more potential. The hind end/loin connection was the key.

Moving on to the picture you posted, the horse's loin looks good, especially for her being thin. It's a bad pic, so I can't tell if the hind end is really that short, or if the horse is angled a bit. The other pic is more flattering. You can't totally avoid the peak thing with the full drafts, but a good loin connection can help.

This awesome full perch is a good example of a classic looking drafthorse with a great loin--and thus good dressage movement.

Check out this month's Equus--Dr. Bennett has a great article on what to look for in the hind end/how much of the horse's body it should ideally take up. Every good (easy!) dressage type I've ridden has had that combo of smooth loin connection and large butt in relation to the overall length of the horse. My own pony has that butt/loin and everything is 100 times easier... Of course we all know stories of confo trainwrecks succeeding...but if you're shopping, that's where I'd really focus.
            2007 Welsh Cob C X TB GG Eragon
            Our training journal.
            1989-2008 French TB Shamus Fancy
            I owned him for fifteen years, but he was his own horse.

Comment

Imho the croup angle is problematic. And it really stands over the forelegs. And the pasterns...mmmm seem very angled. All good things for work in the field, but as a riding horse (esp in canter) not so much. What is the intention for its use? Imho perch crosses can be better riding horses.
              I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

• Original Poster

I appreciate your taking the time to explain that hind end connection. What you're describing is probably why she was able to extend and travel so much at the trot? And probably why she didn't have to run into the canter.

I had to look back and forth between the two pictures but I understand now what you mean about the hind end looking short in the closer shot. You're right; she is standing at an angle there. The second shot (with her far away) was pure luck, but I loved it so much I grabbed my friend and made her snap it.

Thanks for the link to the Percheron. I watched the first video in its entirety. I have to say though that the Belgian I saw had a more fluid and relaxed topline and was more forward than this Percheron. At least this was the case under the trainer (cowboy). We'll see if that holds when I ride her next weekend. Of course the Perch had waaay more neck than the Belgian. My amateur eye says the Belgian is more balanced front to back than the perch?

I'll look for the Eqqus article. I appreciate the reference.

I'll tell you how it goes.

Paula

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by ideayoda View Post
                  Imho the croup angle is problematic. And it really stands over the forelegs. And the pasterns...mmmm seem very angled. All good things for work in the field, but as a riding horse (esp in canter) not so much. What is the intention for its use? Imho perch crosses can be better riding horses.

Funny you both mention the croup angle. When I first saw her I thought she was downhill - that her croup was higher than her withers. But she isn't. She is at least level, perhaps a hair uphill. But her back leg just seem waaay longer than her front legs...yet she is not downhill. What is that? What are the implications of that conformation? If she was downhill I'd say - hard to collect, hard to train to use her hind end. But this is the first time I've seen that looong back leg thing. I guess the test ride will really tell.

One of the horses I exercise for my equitation trainer is a very downhill little QH so I really do know what it feels like

ETA what is the intended use of this horse: Fun. A bit of dressage, some competitive trail, hunter pace, hill topping, trail riding. Anything interesting that comes along.

Paula

Comment

She can be level with a way too sloped croup (tail almost stuck upwards). Those hindlegs are to lock and stretch into the ground, form for function of slow plowing action. Combine with a shortish neck and it doesn't say riding horse. Definitely NOT a horse for distance riding, nor for any type of quality in canter.
                    I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

OP, the visual "confusion" over the hind legs/being croup high, level or uphill, may be that you are seeing a combination of long rear cannon bones and a straightish stifle angle. Picture the rear cannon shorter, and the stifle angle steeper and that may help you make sense of what you are seeing.
                      "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                      ---
                      The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

• Original Poster

That was an interesting exercise; picturing the rear cannon bones shorter and the stifle angle steeper. You guys are really good teachers.

Paula

Comment

I think it's great that you aren't falling into the 'must have certain breed' to do dressage. Kudos to you.

I have a really neat TB/Clyde cross that has been really excelling in dressage...so ya just never know till you try.

Comment

Here is a pic of my Belgian/TB mare doing a training level dressage test.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2398069...57624412067730

What she lacks in talent, she makes up for in personality! I am also drawn to drafty type horses!
                            "Feed your faith and your fears will starve to death."

Comment

• Original Poster

The "must have a certain breed for dressage" pressure is very strong but it helps for me to understand that I don't want a dressage horse, I want a horse that can do dressage. Also, the amount of time this search has taken, as frustrating as it can be, has been beneficial. Each time I begin to succumb to the "must have" feeling I get on a big old drafty type like my equitation trainer's 18 year old Perch/TB Lilly http://www.flickr.com/photos/52967336@N00/5602198910/ and remember what I like. She used to hunt with Lilly. Now she packs kids around the riding school and is a great ride for the disabled riders. She still likes to rip and tear with me, but she has a bad stifle (she had a hard start - starvation) so she can't do that as much as she used to.

But she informs my search; I want a Lilly, 10 years younger, and with a throat latch that allows flexion.

Paula

Comment

Although not a draft in the sense of US draft, if you like or need a larger horse with a kind, sensible personality, check out the Irish Draught/ID sport horse. They are great for dressage as well as being the ultimate horse for hunting (hilltopping/hunter paces). They were bred to be top hunt horses.

Our foal this year is out of my dressage mare & by Steeped in Luck who is competing with Olympian Tom Dvorak at I-1. Others such as KEC Double Diamond & O'learys Irish Diamond competed to PSG. I am breding to another dressage stallion this year. Several of my youngsters have sold dressage homes.
                                Epona Farm
                                Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by paulaedwina View Post
                                  I've never heard such a thing. My Belgian Draft horse passed away recently, and there's a thead if you'd like to read about him: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=303715

Of course, there are "not nice" horses in ever breed, but I used to show in draft shows, and the vast majority of the horses I met there were good citizens. A fried of mine breeds Belgian Draft horses, and most of them are also very sweet and great with her kids. Now, the really fancy hitch horses can be surprisingly hot for drafties, but it doesn't sound like that's what the girl you're looking at is.

Stan, my horse, had his strengths and weaknesses like any horse. He was never going to be a top competitor, that's for sure, but he was an easy willing guy. And at the lower levels, imo, having a horse that really works with you is often more important than innate talent.
                                  "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
                                  -Edward Hoagland

Comment

I have never owned a draft, but I rode one for a few months a few years back and he was SUCH fun! Very willing, working to please, good mind, pretty decent mover. He was a Belgian/?? (PMU baby).

Go for what you love!

Comment

• Original Poster

Holy wow! Stan was a looker! Do you mind if I use that halter picture as my desktop background?

Okay, going back to reading the thread now.

ETA: Stan was your heart horse. You describe a relationship with him that reminds me of my relationship with my old ridgeback, Milo. He was your boy. I love the pictures; especially the ones of him with that leetle kid perched on him.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Paula

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Plain Jane View Post
                                        I have never owned a draft, but I rode one for a few months a few years back and he was SUCH fun! Very willing, working to please, good mind, pretty decent mover. He was a Belgian/?? (PMU baby).

Go for what you love!

Riding a draft is like driving my Chevy Tahoe. All power, but so comfortable you forget how fast you might be going. Would it surprise you that my Tahoe has a name (Juan Carlo)? Of course not all people find drafts comfortable. The size can be intimidating, not to mention the perceived lack of control. I say perceived because drafts remind you in ways that other horse types do not, that horses are way bigger than you are and that you can't physically overpower them.

Paula

Comment

Working...
                                        X