• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How to get long distance inquiries taken seriously...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get long distance inquiries taken seriously...

I am looking for a horse. Something specific. I have emailed on two; both are quite far, so mostly I am asking for videos and a little specific info. Got one half hearted response, and nothing from person 2. Don't really want to call as it is easier and cheaper to email and then have the info/video links saved.

The ads are new so doubt the horse(s) are sold.

Is there something in how I word my inquiries that makes me sound like a tire kicking kid? How do I make sellers believe I am serious?
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

No. Some horse people will only deal with phone calls. If you are interested, just do it. Some pros only like to deal with trainers, so having your trainer make the first call on your behalf might also get the job done.

Comment

Calling is best, but I also think it depends on the seller and how motivated they are. I am selling my mare and I live in CA. I had an inquiry from Florida about a month ago. She asked for little information and didn't even need to see undersaddle footage, but did ask for at liberty footage and some additional photos. Anyway, I sent what she asked for, we have never talked on the phone but I always responded to her emails. She is coming on Sunday to see my mare (I hope!), so you just never know.

Comment

You are serious about looking at horsesfar away and shipping horses a long distance once purchased but you are worried about the price of a phone call? If I were the seller, that would not make sense.

Comment

As a seller I prefer emails, helps me weed out the unsuitables before wasting hours on the phone.
          If you're serious just state it in the email - I'm actively seeking a new horse, haven't been able to find anything close so I'm expanding my search, serious adult inquiry and include a number. That would be enough to make me believe distance wasn't going to be a problem.
          True North Dressage
          Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
          www.TrueNorthDressage.com

Comment

I would rather correspond through email than over the phone myself, I am much more comfortable typing than I am talking on the phone to someone I don't know, so I don't think it is unreasonable to carry on a conversation online like that.

Comment

Be specific about what you're looking for... include a solid description of your ability level and include info about your trainer (if applicable). Ask specific questions about the horse. Keep your emails short and to the point. And as Sabovee said, it doesn't hurt to SAY you're serious and not a tire-kicker!
              Patience pays.

Comment

Just get used to it. Last two high-dollar horses bought in the last few down-economy years, and you'd think it was pulling teeth to get sellers to respond to a legitimate inquiry.

I don't care if it's by email, phone or federal courier. The second horse, I had my trainer do all the calling, and they blew HER off too.

I still have no explanation, but my message to sellers would be, that I bought both my ($$$) horses from sellers who replied promptly to an interested buyer. Both were pros, but even some pros didn't reply to my trainer. Hope they sold their darlings.

Yes, and now we'll hear from all the sellers about the wacky people they get inquiries from, but the bottom line is still that if you want to sell a horse, you do eventually have to reply to an interested buyer.
                Ring the bells that still can ring
                Forget your perfect offering
                There is a crack in everything
                That's how the light gets in.

Comment

Hang in there. It can happen with only email. Ive had people fly from AK FL KS CA WA IL and few in between all the way to OR to see my horses with only email communication. Yes they actually showed up. Yes some purchased.

TONS of response on horses listed for sale email inquires from BC Canada to Quebec, down east coast to FL, mid US, south to CA. Or they see a youtube video hey is he for sale how much? Or hey do you have a horse like X for sale in X price range? The amount of people who have actually picked up the phone to call is slim. Not one of those call only people have come to see horses.

I dont agree to keep it short. Tons of one liner emails that never hear from again. Tons of one liner emails that dont answer my questions yet still keep emailing one liners. Detailed descriptive specific ones are the ones that have shown up to see horses.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Melissa.Hare.Jones View Post
                    Be specific about what you're looking for... include a solid description of your ability level and include info about your trainer (if applicable). Ask specific questions about the horse. Keep your emails short and to the point. And as Sabovee said, it doesn't hurt to SAY you're serious and not a tire-kicker!
                    The reason I don't go into too much detail about ability and what I am looking for specifically is I don't want the seller to colour their response to fit my query. I don't want their responses to be an attempt to fit what I am looking for, i want their responses to fit what they are selling. Once I get some basic info/feel for the type of horse I do into more detail as warrented.

I always include a phone number, and usually my barn name...all they would have to do is google either of those or my email and they would see I own a barn/train horses.

With the one horse I didn't have much to ask other than if it is under saddle yet, and if so do they have a video. Their ad was very unclear as to its training other than that it was with a pro. 5 days later and no response? And this is a breeder who posted the ad the day I inquired. I see no point calling them as if the horse isn't even started, I am not interested.

I realize it does sound silly to balk at a phone call but not at shipping, but email is free, there is no free alternative to shipping. I dislike spending money on things I shouldn't have to spend money on.

I hate horse shopping.

Comment

If there is a number- call instead of emailing.

If long distance phone expense is the issue get a calling card.

I have sold one or two long distances and emails can get frustrating- calling- although may be tire kicker- is less likely, more personal, and a bit more professional- you can get a feeling for age of interested party, tone of voice, etc.

Comment

Anyone who balks at making a phone call should not be considering the purchase of a horse.

I always consider a phone call to come from someone who is seriously looking.

Email, not so much, maybe, maybe not.

I always respond to both.
                        www.oakhollowstable.blogspot.com

Comment

It's funny, I haven't bought or sold a horse in probably 10 years, but just recently did. Sold mine via internet ads. Got a million emails, some of them obviously from young girls, others from idiots. Doesn't matter, I answered them all. Got a few phone calls, responded to them all. If you sell for a living, you must get tired of it, but I waitress and I get tired of that too. Its your job. Respond to your potential buyers. If you aren't doing it for a living, you paid for your ad, why waste your time not responding? Even if the person isn't the buyer you want, a quick, polite response will send them elsewhere. Bought my next horse via internet ad. I was shocked at how few people responded to emails. If I was really interested and got no response, I left a phone message. If I left both a phone message and an email and got no response within a week, the horse was taken off my list. I ended up buying from out of state and the seller was wonderful. I am currently looking for my mom and its been a disaster. We have driven over 60 hours, looked at over 20 horses and vetted 1 who didn't pass. The amount of people who don't respond blow my mind. Then I see an add that says 'New Price' on a horse I've called or emailed about several times. OK, so its not sold, and apparently wont if you don't call the potential buyer back. The market is not good enough to ignore prospects.
                          Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Comment

Originally posted by MelantheLLC View Post
                            I still have no explanation, but my message to sellers would be, that I bought both my ($$$) horses from sellers who replied promptly to an interested buyer. Both were pros, but even some pros didn't reply to my trainer. Hope they sold their darlings.
                            In my experience, the more "serious" a buyer "claims" to be, the bigger the waste of time they are. Actions speak louder than words. If you are serious, then act serious - don't tell me how serious you are. Be specific in what you are looking for and what your price range is. Don't insist on photos/videos of every horse I might possibly have for sale. I am not Neiman-Marcus for you to shop during your lunch hour or a J Crew catalog to flip through when you're bored.

All the high-dollar horses I have sold were through professionals who were very specific about what they were looking for and what they were willing to pay. Or they were visiting farms in my area on a buying trip and were referred to me at the last minute (in which case we jumped through major hoops to line horses up and ultimately close a sale).

I had one woman who refused to drive across town (20 miles) to see a horse and demanded a video first. Ahhh, no - not worth the postage.

And please read my email responses. If you ask the same question again after I answered it the first time, chances are that your subsequent emails will go unanswered.

And don't remind me about the state of the market....
                            Last edited by Bent Hickory; May. 5, 2011, 06:24 PM.
                            "I always remember you as quite the desk chair contrarian." - APirateLooksAtForty

Comment

• Original Poster

I have concluded that if the seller is going to make me work to try to get information on their horse, then it likely isn't worth it. That seems have been the pattern in the past for me.

Comment

I always answer e-mails about my horses promptly. Oftentimes, I am in the barn and busy with the horses, so e-mail works better for me. I can answer on my own time schedule. It doesn't take long to send a quick reply to at least acknowledge that you received the inquiry. And yes, I do want to know something about the prospective buyer before I'm about to spend time answering a lot of questions.
                                Martha Haley - NeverSayNever Farm
                                2009 KWN-NA Breeder of the Year/Silver Level Breeder
                                www.angelfire.com/ns2/our_horses/
                                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Never...01844536521951

Comment

UGH! I am on the other side of the story. I am trying to sell my horse and I got a long distance query about him. She was willing to ship him quite a distance but wanted ME to do pre purchase xrays to make HER feel comfortable about whether my horse was sound.

My one caveat is this. If you are emailing through a site, make sure the seller actually got the email. I have my horse's ad on equine.com and I don't get an email that I have an email waiting there for me to read.

Comment

Originally posted by Oakstable View Post
                                    Anyone who balks at making a phone call should not be considering the purchase of a horse.
                                    That is an unwarranted assumption, on either side.
                                    1- By the time I get home from work, ride, feed and come into the house, it is usually 10 PM. Too late to call, or return a call to, a horseperson I don't already know is a night person. But a perfect time to send and respond to emails.

2 - I have a completely unwarranted aversion (not as bad as a phobia, but it can lead to literally days of procrastination) to phoning people I don't already know. Not rational, I know, but it is there. Last time I got a phone inquiry, even with the best intentions, it took me 4 days to return the call. When I got voice mail, I basically said "send me an email".

3 - The last time I bought a horse, the correspondence was almost entirely by email. There was one short phone call after I had already made the decision to buy (but before I had seen the horse in person- this was an about-to-be-weanling, not an adult horse).
                                    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

[QUOTE=chancellor2;5591499]UGH! I am on the other side of the story. I am trying to sell my horse and I got a long distance query about him. She was willing to ship him quite a distance but wanted ME to do pre purchase xrays to make HER feel comfortable about whether my horse was sound.
                                      [QUOTE]

And you said? No I hope. I have friends who have done similar. Buyers flaked.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor2 View Post
                                        If you are emailing through a site, make sure the seller actually got the email. I have my horse's ad on equine.com and I don't get an email that I have an email waiting there for me to read.
                                        Yes! I had similar problem with email notifications from dreamhorse! We changed our server. Bunch of people email but never received because lost. Didnt sign into dreamhorse for a while and found 38 new emails.

Comment

Working...
                                        X