• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Thanks for all input!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thanks for all input!

    A big thanks to all who gave input without attacks, insults, or offense. Unfortunately you good folks were the minority. Back to your regularly scheduled program.
    Last edited by sublimequine; Mar. 27, 2008, 12:51 PM. Reason: Too many "Well bless your hearts" to hand out, too little time!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

  • #2
    I'm with you. I refuse to put a flash or crank on my horse, and the plain noseband I use is so loose it's essentially useless. Dressage is about willing harmony between horse and rider. There's nothing willing and harmonious about stifling your horse's ability to object. If my horse is trying to evade the bit, the problem is ME, not HIM.

    I'd love to see what those top horses did if they were allowed to show their resistance. It would certainly be amusing to see some dressage queens (and kings) dethroned!
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

    Comment

    • Original Poster

      #3
      Originally posted by amastrike View Post
      I'm with you. I refuse to put a flash or crank on my horse, and the plain noseband I use is so loose it's essentially useless. Dressage is about willing harmony between horse and rider. There's nothing willing and harmonious about stifling your horse's ability to object. If my horse is trying to evade the bit, the problem is ME, not HIM.

      I'd love to see what those top horses did if they were allowed to show their resistance. It would certainly be amusing to see some dressage queens (and kings) dethroned!
      Good to know I'm not the only one who feels like this! I'm also the same, either my mare goes in a plain noseband that is extremely loose, or no noseband at all.
      Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

      Comment


      • #4
        I think some people would say that Dressage today is the antethesis of what Dressage is all about

        Comment

        • Original Poster

          #5
          Originally posted by Ambrey View Post
          I think some people would say that Dressage today is the antethesis of what Dressage is all about
          I never thought of it that way.. but you're right!
          Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Ambrey View Post
            I think some people would say that Dressage today is the antethesis of what Dressage is all about
            Yep, pretty much. That's why I got out of it. There are a few horses and riders I really admire but for the most part I don't watch it. I used to get Dressage Today but found that the issues would go in the trash after a quick scim. I guess that was my clue that my heart wasn't in it anymore. I use dressage principles with my horses and love the concept of the training scale, but that's as far as it goes.

            I'm with you sublime, but watch out, the vultures shall now swoop in and tear our carcasses assunder.

            I bet if they got rid of all the cranking that goes on in the top levels, we'd see a lot more run aways. But that's just my personal theory of course.

            Comment

            • Original Poster

              #7
              Originally posted by Auventera Two View Post
              Yep, pretty much. That's why I got out of it. There are a few horses and riders I really admire but for the most part I don't watch it. I used to get Dressage Today but found that the issues would go in the trash after a quick scim. I guess that was my clue that my heart wasn't in it anymore. I use dressage principles with my horses and love the concept of the training scale, but that's as far as it goes.

              I'm with you sublime, but watch out, the vultures shall now swoop in and tear our carcasses assunder.

              I bet if they got rid of all the cranking that goes on in the top levels, we'd see a lot more run aways. But that's just my personal theory of course.
              I know, I'm kind of waiting for the hardcore folks to come in and rip me to shreds for asking... hopefully not.
              Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

              Comment


              • #8
                You can borrow one of my flame suits . The one thing that always annoyed me about Lisa Wilcox's critique column in Dressage Today (totally blanking one what the column is called) is that if a horse didn't have a flash, she said the horse needed one to help "stabilize the bit." Right. My bit is apparently very unstable, and my horse has yet to spontaneously combust, so...
                Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
                Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
                VW sucks.

                Comment

                • Original Poster

                  #9
                  Originally posted by amastrike View Post
                  You can borrow one of my flame suits . The one thing that always annoyed me about Lisa Wilcox's critique column in Dressage Today (totally blanking one what the column is called) is that if a horse didn't have a flash, she said the horse needed one to help "stabilize the bit." Right. My bit is apparently very unstable, and my horse has yet to spontaneously combust, so...
                  I kind of wondered about that as well. I've never ridden in a flash, and occasionally I do ride with a bit (big hackamore fan), and I've never had problems with instability with the bit...
                  Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I guess if your hands move constantly (be it intentional or not), the bit is going to do a lot of moving. Maybe the flash is to disguise bad hands? (Which is not to say that my hands are amazing, of course.)
                    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
                    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
                    VW sucks.

                    Comment

                    • Original Poster

                      #11
                      Originally posted by amastrike View Post
                      I guess if your hands move constantly (be it intentional or not), the bit is going to do a lot of moving. Maybe the flash is to disguise bad hands? (Which is not to say that my hands are amazing, of course.)
                      But you'd think in Dressage, especially in levels where a flash is required, bad hands would NEVER be present.. right?
                      Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Do a search on this forum. This issue has been beaten to death.

                        You can also educate yourself by reading the classical dressage texts. Or if you don't want to read, look at the pictures in any book about the Spanish Riding School. All of the young horses in training wear a dropped noseband until they go into the double bridle.

                        So what on earth is wrong with those SRS people, anyway? I'm sure that you all know much more about training horses than they do.
                        "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm sure they are infinitely more knowledgeable than I am... but it doesn't make them infallible.
                          Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
                          Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
                          VW sucks.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I think there are people out there who use them because everyone else in their barn does...it's probably just 'standard equipment' to these folks, who are accustomed to seeing them everyday. The same thing is true of polo wraps and boots.
                            Treat Jockey for Spellbound and Smidgeon

                            Comment

                            • Original Poster

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
                              Do a search on this forum. This issue has been beaten to death.

                              You can also educate yourself by reading the classical dressage texts. Or if you don't want to read, look at the pictures in any book about the Spanish Riding School. All of the young horses in training wear a dropped noseband until they go into the double bridle.

                              So what on earth is wrong with those SRS people, anyway? I'm sure that you all know much more about training horses than they do.
                              You still didn't answer WHY it is used. And I never said I knew more about training than them. In the first like 2 sentences I said I was no expert. That's why I came here, to ask folks who have a better idea on the subject.

                              I also already said the post was not meant to incite anything. If you're going to try and be nasty, please don't even bother. I don't want this to turn into a flamefest.
                              Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

                              Comment

                              • Original Poster

                                #16
                                Originally posted by Speedy View Post
                                I think there are people out there who use them because everyone else in their barn does...it's probably just 'standard equipment' to these folks, who are accustomed to seeing them everyday. The same thing is true of polo wraps and boots.
                                So you think it's maybe more just 'tradition' than anything else?
                                Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by amastrike View Post
                                  You can borrow one of my flame suits . The one thing that always annoyed me about Lisa Wilcox's critique column in Dressage Today (totally blanking one what the column is called) is that if a horse didn't have a flash, she said the horse needed one to help "stabilize the bit." Right. My bit is apparently very unstable, and my horse has yet to spontaneously combust, so...
                                  She has been replaced by Arthur Kottas, whose column I enjoy

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by sublimequine View Post
                                    You still didn't answer WHY it is used. And I never said I knew more about training than them. In the first like 2 sentences I said I was no expert. That's why I came here, to ask folks who have a better idea on the subject.

                                    I also already said the post was not meant to incite anything. If you're going to try and be nasty, please don't even bother. I don't want this to turn into a flamefest.

                                    As I said, you can do a search.

                                    The primary reason for using a flash or dropped noseband is to prevent the young horse from developing bit evasions, including opening the mouth, crossing the jaws, and putting the tongue over the bit. All young horses at one point or another will seek to evade the bit as the work gets harder for them. It is the trainer's job to prevent these evasions from becoming a habitual response. Once the evasion becomes a habit, it is almost impossible to eliminate. So some of the cranked shut nosebands that you see come from riders trying to correct a bad habit that came about because the horse was improperly trained. Sometimes of course, it is also used to try to cover up bad riding. In neither case is it successful as you have noticed.

                                    Lisa Wilcox who was trained by an SRS instructor says she uses the flash to help keep the bit steady in the young horse's mouth so that there will be less movement and less bouncing around on the bars of the mouth. I am sure that is also one of the reasons if not the reason that the SRS uses them.

                                    For more info--there have been numerous threads on exactly this same subject. Do a search.
                                    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Speedy View Post
                                      I think there are people out there who use them because everyone else in their barn does...it's probably just 'standard equipment' to these folks, who are accustomed to seeing them everyday. The same thing is true of polo wraps and boots.
                                      It's sad that people would actually do that.. It's fun to be involved with your horse and make decisions and LEARN. Flash/cranks are standard equipment for dressage... I bought my dressage bridle in pieces so I could get what I wanted (#1. NO flash/crank).
                                      Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
                                      Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
                                      VW sucks.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
                                        So what on earth is wrong with those SRS people, anyway? I'm sure that you all know much more about training horses than they do.
                                        Is a dropped noseband equivalent to a crank+flash? I'd think not.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X