• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

All purpose saddle for dressage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All purpose saddle for dressage?

I have been having a horrible time finding a used dressage saddle since the end of last year. Apparently I am pretty long from my hip to my knee and when I have the correct 45 degree angle in my thigh, my knee sits on the knee block or is completely off the flap (have tried several models and brands and kept going up in size--to no avail!).
    I found a super deal on a passier PSL all purpose, it's black with a slightly forward flap--so that I have tons of room with my legs in the propoer position and the pencil knee roll is in front of my knee...actually doing it's job instead of restricting my movement.
    Anyway, my questions is if it is frowned upon to show dressage in an all purpose saddle? I have a young horse and we aren't really even showing rated shows yet, but I don't want to invest in a saddle that will get me "funny" looks in the dressage world.
    Thanks for your help!

There is nothing wrong with you starting out in an AP. Eventually you will want to find a nice dressage saddle that fits you and your horse so you can make sure you have a better seat and leg position but for starting out an all purpose saddle will work just fine. Just make sure it fits you and your horse for whatever you decide to go with. If you are not in a rush you may want to look at the free classified ads at www.dressageextensions.com under free photo ads for a nice used dressage saddle. Hope this helps.

Comment

I used a County Eventer for years, now i have a short foreward flap Connection
      I wasn't always a Smurf
      Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
      "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
      The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

You cannot learn the correct balance for the sitting trot in an AP saddle. It is fine as long as you are in intro or training level where you can post the trot.

Comment

weensy suggestion. Have you sat in a passier dressage saddle?

I own a Passier Antares http://www.thevisioncompany.de/engli...pg&bez=Antares Dressage Saddle they are very minimalist in the knee padding department. Mine only has a thigh nub, that's it. perfectly balanced, to die for, horse loffs it...

I have a 36" inseam and a long femur as well. This was my last ditch effort before going custom. And a passier antares 17.5" just the way it comes is perfect.

dont buy an all purpose anything.
          www.destinationconsensusequus.com
          chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

Originally posted by angel
            You cannot learn the correct balance for the sitting trot in an AP saddle. It is fine as long as you are in intro or training level where you can post the trot.
            Even when riding with a slightly longer leg??
            Why would that be?

I'm just curious, coz I have a Euroriding VSD as well as a KN dressage.
            And I hardly ever ride in my KN, because the Euroriding is way more comfortable and I can sit my horses better in my Euroriding VSD then my KN.

I can understand one shouldn't be doing the higher levels in a VSD, but the lower levels even at a sitting trot, I don't understand why it would affect the correct balance? Would that be in reference to stirrup length then?
            Anyone else has opinions on this too?

Comment

Originally posted by jmbnsyd View Post
              when I have the correct 45 degree angle in my thigh
              Who told you your thigh has to be at exactly 45 degrees?
              As you know, your shoulder, hip, and ankle should all line up vertically. You can do this with a 45 degree angle between thigh and hip, but if you look at photos of the really good classical dressage riders (Thomas Ritter, Karl Mikolka, Arthus Kottas, etc.) you will probably see a more open angle. It sounds as though you might (might?) be riding with your stirrups too short. Couldn't say without pictures but it's something to think about.

The point is, in an all-purpose saddle the stirrup bar is set fairly far forward of your seat bones (the ischii), so the stirrup leather is going to have to be angled back in order for your heel to be beneath your hip. You will continually be straining for the correct position and balance. Why struggle that way? With a dressage saddle the stirrup leathers will naturally fall almost straight down.

I have the same conformation you do--I"m 5'10" with long femurs. My pelvis doesn't feel comfortable in a Passier dressage saddle for some reason (though I love the Passier all-purpose saddles for jumping). Have you thought of the Stubben Tristan dressage saddles? This is an old style but I have a new one. It works very well for me in terms of maintaining correct position, and my horse adores it, rounding up the minute it goes on. She is not the first horse it has had this effect on. They almost start purring.

Comment

It all depends on the saddle, and how deep and long in the leg you want to be. Not to be rude--but it is your crotch, that you will be dealing with once you really drop your leg, and need the correct angles for reasonable lateral work. And sadly without lateral work ,you can't progress.
                Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

http://www.stubbennorthamerica.com/s...llpurpose.html

VSD (Variable Style Dressage - Vielseitigkeit Schwerpunkt Dressur) :
                  The VSD is an all purpose saddle but with a different emphasis. The VSD flap is much straighter and does not extend far forward. It is designed for the rider who mostly rides long in the stirrups. The VSD offers great applications for trail riding, flat work, and dressage, while suiting the jumpers who prefer to ride with long stirrups.

Comment

Have you also tried the Passier Grand Gilbert, they are wonderful for long legged riders, without a huge thigh block. Very classic design.

Comment

• Original Poster

Confused

The Passier PSL all purpase that I have on trial is a VS model (jump flap). I am 5'4 and have tried a Passier GG, antares, and the optimum, but all the flaps ended at my ankle--isn't that bad since there is less direct contact with the horse? Plus, I still had a hard time with the blocks interfereing with my knee.

I would like to try the Passier PSL D with a short flap, but haven't had any luck finding any used.

Perhaps I should try the Passier PSL all purpose VD--with a dressage concentration--from the pictures this looks to have a slightly more forward flap then the regular PSL, but straighter then the VS. Hope I haven't confused everyone!

The Passier tree fits my TB like a glove, I like the feel of the seats, and the quality seems very good---so I would like to find a model that works, if possible.

My trainer is coming over this evening to take a look at the PSL VS saddle, perhaps I can get her to take a picture that I can post here.

Comment

The Stubben VSD saddles are so nice. I have the same problem as you with the knee thing. I think people who say you can't ride well without a certain saddle are not all that good of riders. And to be blunt most people who spend big big bucks on saddles are more concerned with having the latest thing than anything else. Now the AP saddles that are really set up for jumping may not be the best, but I can sit the trot in anything if my feet are under me. You'll ride better in something that fits you, forget what "they" say is correct.
                        “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
                        ? Rumi

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks gayla...I will do some searches for the stubben VSD saddles. During my ride last night...I tried a sitting trot and it felt much better in the all purpose saddle compared to some of the deep seated dressage saddles I tried. Who knows...

Comment

I hate to tell you this...but, if your sitting trot felt better in your AP saddle, it sounds as if you are hollowing your back, and not sitting properly.

Comment

I hate to tell you this...but, if your sitting trot felt better in your AP saddle, it sounds as if you are hollowing your back, and not sitting properly
                              Disagree completely. Saddles are as personal as... I can't even think of anything more personal in all the ways it has to fit you. Even shoes do not have to be right for such intimate places and balance...

I am working in 3rd level in a Passier VD. For the very same reasons. When seated correctly, ear/shoulder/hip/heel alignment, my knee comes off the flap of many saddles. The VD has properly setback stirrup bars (Further back than many dressage saddles!) an extremely well balanced seat, and the right flap for me.

Passier *in particular* are extremely versatile saddles. I guess Reiner Klimke never learned to sit the trot properly in the Passier VS... as he IS in many photos in my older version of the young horse training book. And Podjadsky must really have been a laughingstock showing in the "AP" saddle he is riding in more than once in My Horses, My Teachers (one of which is either an Olympic photo, or is on one of his Olympic level mounts) And of course Nuno musn't have been able to sit the trot at all...

If the saddle is balanced, the stirrup bars are set properly for YOU, and it FITS... you can do anything you want in it, and go as far as you want in it.

The rest is just... wishful thinking. I'm the first to say a saddle can help or hurt--but it does NOT have to be a specific saddle. On some very wide horses you need a bit more of a closed angle in the hip to let the shock absorbers *work*. A VSD/VD can be the cat's meow there.

Yes, there are strict dressage saddles with more forward flaps. Some of them aren't all that balanced and end up eliciting a chair seat. Some are fabulou$.

If the Passier fits you and your horse, if you are balanced and can drop your stirrups and your legs hang in the same way (correctly) as they do with the stirrups... Go for it.

I for one will probably be doing PSG in a few years in my *~gasp~* VD. No one can even tell. Except my horse, who is picky as hell and deliriously happy in it.
                              InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks!

I purchased an "almost new" Passier PSL VD...and just love it. Fit's my horse like a glove and I love how it doesn't force me into any position! Very comfy and good quality. Glad the whole saddle search drama is finally over. Geez, now I might actually have to "work" at work instead of searching for used saddles....

Thanks again for everyone's help/opinions!

Comment

Working...
                                X