• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Feedback on Specific Long-Distance Transporters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback on Specific Long-Distance Transporters

There seem to be merits to stopping at night without unloading, stopping and unloading for the night, driving through the night but stopping at fixed, tightly controlled rests every 2 days ... and everyone says that "unlike the others ..." they have drivers who are horsepeople or horsepeople who are drivers, feed this kind of hay, suggest you provide your own ... it's all quite confusing.

I'm bringing a big mare who is an inexperienced traveler from northern California to central Florida. I've gotten quotes for providers who offer full box stalls, air ride vehicles, water/hay at all times, regular stops, two drivers and so on.

I have read many of the existing threads, appreciate the wide variety of responses, and would be grateful for those of you with experience in the last 12 months to share (maybe again) your thoughts.

Here's my short list based on previous threads and conversations with their representatives:
    • Rodney Wilbanks
    • Yosemite Equine Services
    • DDP High Desert Equine
    • Equine Express
    • Cox Equine Transport
    • Bob Hubbard

Was the timing as promised, did the horse arrive in good shape, did you like the handling of the horse and the communication, would you use them again? Other comments?

Thank you so much for your patience
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

This probably will not help your decision, but I bought a horse last year north of LA and wanted to bring her to central florida. After much deliberation about the stress of a road trip and my nerves during that time, I decided to put her on a plane. It was obviously more $ than the road trip, but she was door to door in about 18 hours (vanned to LAX in the wee hours after midnite, loaded on plane in the morning, flown to West Palm and trucked up here.
    She was absolutely fine, and recovered very quickly from the trip. If you want more info on this option, send me a pm.

Edited to add that I used Equine Express years ago to bring a horse from Texas to Ohio; they did an excellent job, on time, etc. but it was at least 8 yrs ago.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

I agree, bought a horse from Washington state and he was trailered to LAX and flown to NY. More money but so worth it!
      Friesians Rule !!

Comment

I have used Cox Equine and Equine Express for many, many years. I have always had wonderful service. Great drivers who do know horses. Horses have always arrived happy and healthy.

We are in Houston and have shipped to or from as far away as LA, San Francisco, Oregon, BC, Florida and New York.
        Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Comment

Oooh timely! Too bad my filly is coming from Southern California though.... and to Georgia.

Thanks for posting this! I'll be checking too And good luck with your mare.

Comment

I have used Bob Hubbard several times and LOVE them.

I have heard good things about Equine Express and Cox too.

Comment

Equine Express just dropped my new pony off today and I can only say "Wow, they were wonderful." They were exactly on time to pick her up and drop her off. She was on the trailer all night Thursday and most of Friday. I spoke with the driver Friday morning for an update. She spent Friday night at their place north of Dallas and then came on to Houston today. They called me Friday night to let me know how she was doing. They called again this morning to say all was well and give me an ETA and they called again when they were an hour away. They actually give you the driver's number so you can call at any time to check on her. And they are just really, really nice! Highly recommend them!!!!

Comment

• Original Poster

Flecken ... Hubbard takes all horses from the west coast to their central facility in southern California. Then from there they go direct (non-stop) to their facility in Kentucky ... and from there to their final destinations.

2tempe & friesian ... Flying was a consideration, and not THAT much more expensive than a full stall (especially with the current fuel prices), but a lot trickier regarding timing to filll a pallet, and the horse's current trainer wasn't in favor of the option based on her experiences and her knowledge of the horse.

I'm having trouble connecting with Cox and EE right now ... I'm not able to use my cell phone in the building at work and they aren't inclined to leave detailed information in a message.

Turns out Wilbanks doesn't have a trip that late in the spring, so I'll pursue the last three more aggressively. I have a guaranteed quote from Hubbard, but I don't remember if it's for 60 or 90 days.

I feel a lot of pressure to demonstrate my ability to care properly for this horse (much less ride her) to her current trainer (also her breeder and my mentor for years), so I deeply appreciate everyone's replies on this. I will breathe such a sigh of relief when I see that her new trainer "gets" her and things are okay in her new home.

Comment

Have used Equine Express and they were wonderful, but it wasn't a coast to coast trip. I'd be anxious too!

Comment

Used as recently as this past November and very happy with their service (and price) -
                    Morningstar Transport

Also, used recently
                    Yosemite (again, very good service and price).
                    Siegi Belz
                    www.stalleuropa.com
                    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
                    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Comment

I've brought youngsters in from Canada - the big thing I recommend is get a full box stall - the horse can relax, move a bit, lay down.

One of the horses I sold went out on Bob Hubbard - and while they are a big, reputable company, I was not thrilled with them showing up in a TINY trailer (really TINY), luckily the big mare I sold was sweet and willing because this trailer was so small her face actually touched the front, her ears brushed the top! They did then haul her to a racetrack where she sat for several days before they loaded her onto the big air ride trailer for her haul across the country. I know that is an efficient way to gather the horses, and I understand they can't always get their big rigs into all facilities, but it didn't thrill me, nor was the buyer aware of it when she hired them.

Equine Express has a great rep - I've only had one buyer use them, and they had rave reviews. I also know (and recommend) several smaller name shippers, but most of them don't go all the way across country - one does a Western Canada/Western US route, the other stays this side of the Rockies, and another does only West Coast.

Comment

I have used Hubbard and Brookledge to ship cross country. They are excellent.
                        Kim
                        'Like' my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Calla...946873?sk=wall

Comment

I just used this shipper and his price and care were fantastic! I don't know if he will be making a trip that way but it can't hurt to call.
                          612-750-6778

His name is Bill.

He shipped some ponies for some other people too and I don't think anyone was displeased.
                          http://carisbrooketransport.com/about.html

Equine Express if they go that way. I have used them many times in the past and they are wonderful to work with.
                          “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
                          ? Albert Einstein

Comment

A bit about my wonderfull experiences with Hubbard.
                            They are really easy to work with. Very friendly and helpful on the phone.
                            Both the horses I shipped were "big". One was smaller Clyde but is still 17.1 Other was Hanv and about 16.3. They recommended box stalls though also have 1 1/2 tie stalls. Didn't recommend a regular tie stall due to their size.
                            The Clyde came from the NW to OK. Overnighted in Ca. Arrived right on time once they could get to the NW due to the massive snow storm that hit about the time of the original ship date. I couldn't there to meet him but a good friend of mine her who has lived on the race track for years all over the country and of course has experienced all shapes and forms of shippers was also very impressed with Hubbard.

The Hanv came from Az to Va. He overnighted (actually 2 days I think) in their Lex Ky facility. A friend of mine in the horse industry went to check on him and was very impressed with the facility and the care. And he arrived right on time too.

A friend of mine used them to ship a 3 yr stallion from Ky to NY. They had an empty box stall so put him in it at no extra charge :-) I prob wouldn't expect that little perk on a regular basis of course.

Comment

OP - yes, I had the issue w/ filling the pallet, and was somewhat bummed as they would have flown the horse to Orlando...Ended up using Tex Sutton, who has own fleet of planes and doesn't need to fill a pallet. Flew into West Palm. Probably smart to go w/ current trainer's recommendation, however.
                              We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

I have used Cox and EE numerous times.

EE has always done a good job for me until I needed a Fingerlakes Finest shipped in August. Waffled on the space availability and then told me at the last minute they didn't have room on that load.

Cox picked her up the following week and she arrived in great shape. I have used and recommended Cox a couple of times since and have been pleased. Cox was significantly cheaper than EE on all occasions (10-25%).

They both have layover facilities within an hour of me (actually their primary hubs). Both facilities are clean and safe. Both use drivers who are "horsey" and closely monitor the horses. I was given cell numbers of the drivers for both companies.

I recommend either. If you used EE and timing is important, just make sure you have a confirmed box stall.
                                www.debracysporthorses.com
                                Home of Sea Accounts xx
                                AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
                                "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Comment

I'm also thinking of bringing an older horse from west coast to east coast. I don't think he could handle the road trip. How much to fly coast to coast?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by mimiwenk View Post
                                    I'm also thinking of bringing an older horse from west coast to east coast. I don't think he could handle the road trip. How much to fly coast to coast?
                                    Mimi, my quote was $11K for the whole pallet and about $5 for a 1/3 of a pallet, which is about a stall-and-a-half. But that was before fuel prices skyrocketed last week.

Although the trip is much shorter by air, the horses have to be sensible enough to load on the tarmac and handle the sound and reverberations of the aircraft. Sometimes bothers me and my horse is even MORE sound-sensitive.

Also, a judge who has a lot of experience in cross-country horse travel mentioned to me that sometimes the stress of changing air pressure (imagine if you couldn't pop your ears on a flight) can be hard on horses.

Mystik ... Hubbard (well, not him, but the gal I spoke with on the phone) did tell me that if the destination couldn't accommodate their big rigs, they contracted with local haulers for final deliveries if the distances were short. I'm glad your horse was okay.

Hubbard did tell me about the layovers because I'd specifically asked. Every time one shipper tells me one thing, add it to my list of questions.

Thanks everyone ... you know how much it helps just to be able to have conversation about issues!

Comment

A friend that ships alot and has for years always uses Hubbard. She says she has never had a horse delivered that was stressed.

I saw a horse that a neighbor bought from Michigan and it looked awful!!!! I don't know who the shipped was though.
                                      Hillary Rodham Clinton - the peoples choice for president.

Comment

Well, it has been a few years, but I was very happy with the service I received when Cox shipped a weanling from northern CA to middle TN for me. She had either a day or day and a half layover at their Texas facility. She had a stall and a half, which nearly equalled a box stall for a weanling. it was her first trailer ride, and she stepped off the ramp (at 4 am) looking as though she was just coming out of her stall at home. I was impressed with how easily she traveled and was handled.

Her trip came in within only a few hours of my estimate. Cox was by far the cheapest quote that I received from any of the "big" companies at that time. My only complaint was that the drivers didn't keep in contact with me while they were on the road until they got close enough to give me an ETA. I would have liked more frequent updates, but I kind of assumed that no news was good news, and it was.

Comment

Working...
                                        X