• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

this post is for full-figured riders only

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this post is for full-figured riders only

I just thought I would post some inspiration for full figured riders - as obviously I am - posted some pics of my homebred rising 4 year old at a bnt clinic - he was such a good boy and we had such a great time -

www.prospectequinefarms.com/gallery.htm

see - we can do it.

Thanks for being so "Brave", Bravestorm! You look great on your lovely horse!! I was thin all my life up till 53 yrs old...actually too thin. I quit smoking and I think my metabolism also changed at that same time. I really strugle with the extra weight and can't get it off again. Your position is so nice and that shows me that if you sit elegantly...you look elegant!...Not to mention effective! Thanks, I needed that! Very best of wishes to you and you beautiful young horse in your endevors!!
    "Success comes in cans, not in cannots!"

Comment

Me too. I have been thin (105 lbs sopping wet) all of my life until about 6 yrs ago when I was diagnosed with diabetes. The meds are like a weight magnet and I am desperately trying to get about 25 lbs off. It has not been easy. Easy was when (5yrs ago), I gave up smoking in one day after smoking for 30+ yrs 1.5 to 2 packs/day.

Anyway you look very nice up there and your horse is lovely. You really are an inspiration.

Comment

Thank you for sharing your pictures! You both looked lovely.
        Sheilah

Comment

I love your horse and the horses on your site. I ride a Perch cross.....there is just something about a big horse!
          L

Comment

Originally posted by kaluha2 View Post
            Me too. I have been thin (105 lbs sopping wet) all of my life until about 6 yrs ago when I was diagnosed with diabetes. The meds are like a weight magnet and I am desperately trying to get about 25 lbs off. It has not been easy. Easy was when (5yrs ago), I gave up smoking in one day after smoking for 30+ yrs 1.5 to 2 packs/day.
            Slightly OT, but have you talked to your doctor about the meds-weight issue? My dad has type II diabetes and was having a similar problem for a while - he'd been successfully losing weight and then changed medications and just STOPPED even though nothing in his lifestyle otherwise changed, and I think they were able to adjust what he was taking somehow so that he started losing weight again. (Perhaps not as much as he had been, but no longer at a complete standstill.)

(It may be relevant that most of his weight loss was probably more like fat loss - he didn't change his eating habits that dramatically so much as he made a point of trying to get out and exercise more in addition to his normal activity levels, because there's a lot of evidence that it's activity, not overall weight as such, that makes a difference in blood sugar. So he wasn't really counting calories - just trying to not eat horribly unhealthy stuff and make sure he was more active.)

(Before anyone argues with me - I'm not going to get into if weight loss in and of itself is good for diabetes - but it's my understanding based on various research studies that activity level makes much more difference in the way the body functions than what you weigh - so someone who is 300 lb but increases their activity level 25% may well do much better than someone who, other things being equal, drops down to 290 via calorie counting but doesn't change activity levels at all. So if you have to focus on one thing to change, activity is clearly the one to start with. It seems to be a good 'cue' for the body to shape up and behave better in the functioning of all sorts of systems - blood pressure, blood sugar, etc.)

Comment

I think you are a perfect fit with your horse and I think you look athletic and fit. I actually think your horse and you are similarly proportioned to my horse and I (see the blog link below)...except that Eragon is 15 hands and I am 5'3. I think if the pics were the same size, the proportions are almost the same.

It's all about being athletic and fitting your horse, and whatever weight/height you are.

Bravo. Beautiful horse/lovely work.
              2007 Welsh Cob C X TB GG Eragon
              Our training journal.
              1989-2008 French TB Shamus Fancy
              I owned him for fifteen years, but he was his own horse.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you - and stsf - you are right - he is 17.2hh and I am 5'7 - I love his size and like that I don't feel too big or too small on him. I put this baby on the ground and it is so thrilling that we are working so well together.

He is 1/2 swedish wb, 1/4 clyde and 1/4 hackney horse - and an awesome boy.

Yes - I would say proportionally it would be the same too.

Comment

Love the pics! Thanks so much for sharing!
                  BTW, your horse is just lovely and so are your dogs
                  I'm good at being uncomfortable so I can't stop changing all the time -Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine
                  If I were your appendages, I'd hold open your eyes so you would see- Incubus

Comment

I'm a full-figured gal myself, usually + or - 200lbs and I'm 5'5". I'm working on it though. Yes, I can ride halfway decently at this weight, and can keep up in an intense lesson just fine, but I am more effective and agile at a lower weight.

I don't have any up to date pictures of me riding my new horse, but he's 16.2-1/2H with good bone, and I think I look pretty good on him! He's got a nice big butt too, so at least mine doesn't look bigger than his--LOL!

Comment

Thank you so much for your post! I was recently challenged by my daughter and sister and husband all three, about not riding. I realized I felt that I was too overweight. I am going to put on my boots and breeches, which make my butt look almost as big as my horse's, and go and ride. You are an inspiration!

Comment

Just curious -- who was the clinician?
                        Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and sexual predator! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

Comment

Originally posted by ACP View Post
                          Thank you so much for your post! I was recently challenged by my daughter and sister and husband all three, about not riding. I realized I felt that I was too overweight. I am going to put on my boots and breeches, which make my butt look almost as big as my horse's, and go and ride. You are an inspiration!
                          I think I love your family. Go them and go you.
                          http://www.camstock.net/

Comment

Thank you for posting. The pictures are very inspiring. I haven't ridden much for a number of years, primarily because of my weight. Maybe I will rethink that.
                            "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Comment

I am a skinny girl. I know you said this post was only for full figured riders. BUT....you look GREAT on that horse! You both look like a perfect match.

Comment

You both look great
                                "Ask often, demand little, reward generously"
                                " Every horse has a chocolate side"

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

I'm not a full figured rider, but my mother is. She doesn't ride much because she doesn't have as much nerve as she used to but tries to get out once in a while!

But anyway, at a show this summer.... there was a trainer who (sorry to sound so blunt) you'd wonder how he even rides. I'd never seen him ride before...he's very large. But I was schooling and in he came on an AA jumper to school and he rode VERY WELL. Held his position, soft hands, gentle on the horse.

I guess he had the skill from before and just kept up with it. Point of sharing this is that just because you have extra weight doesn't mean you shouldn't be riding!!! I think if you work at it and make sure you aren't hurting the horse (and by that I mean slamming on things or pulling the mouth), you'll be fine

There's no reason to not be out there riding!!!

PS OP....I think you actually look fantastic! There's something to be said about working hard, fitting clothes properly and having a good match for a horse!! You ride very well and your horse is super cute! Congrats on creating him
                                    Kelli
                                    Horse Drawings!

Comment

You and your horse make a lovely team- thank you for sharing.
                                      Sarah K. Andrew | Twitter | Blog | Horses & Hope calendar | Flickr | Instagram

Comment

There is a trainer that I see on multiple horses on Dreamhorse all the time who is a full figured gal. She has the most lovely, soft hands and beautiful seat and every horse she rides goes BEAUTIFULLY! They are happy, and soft, and supple, and lifting through their backs no matter what level the horse. I would buy a horse from her in a heartbeat!

Comment

Working...
                                        X