• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I am simply done with dressage...for now

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am simply done with dressage...for now

I have created a clever Alter so I can vent, I guess.
    I have a dream horse that is the epitome of what most would ever want for dressage. I look at him everyday and really feel like he should be in a place where he can really live up to what his potential is.
    I am 100% overwhelmed by how hopeless it it so have a truly nice horse and know that there will be very little progress due to having a low income, living 3 hours from a competent trainer for help, and always riding alone. I am a lower level capable rider. It is not my dream to win in the local schooling shows and be the "queen" of the little local clinics. I have high standards and goals, and now that this horse is at the age where he should be "doing" something, I am faced with the reality that, it is not going to happen. Living out here, everything is so hard. All shows are also 3-6 hours away and it is not a sport for the lower income bracket people. Even if I decided not to show and focus on training, again the distance and expense makes it not a reality.
    Yes, he does not know he is a "nice" horse and could care less if he ever gets out of Trg Level. But he is a valuable horse and I feel like the RIGHT thing is to sell him to a rider who will be able to be successful and appreciate him. I have another horse I can ride and putz around on and still work on dressage with.
    Yes it all SOUNDS good, but it will kill me to sell him, I raised him since he was born and I will never have a chance to own a horse of his quality again, I could never afford it. I am his breeder, got lucky with what I ended up with.
    Has anyone else ever had to make a decision like this? It is very practical, I suppose...

I hate the word "should." He should be doing more. He shouldn't be just a TL horse. I should sell him.

Maybe his talent is not upper level dressage (potential is nothing if it's not what you want) but instead it's being the best all-around horse ever. Your all-around horse.

He's your horse. Do whatever you want with him. Period. End of story. Stop worrying so much and have fun with him. If you don't need to sell him, don't.

Comment

I don't think your horse stands at the fence looking at you, asking "Why am I not a show horse?" It's obvious you love him, so keep him and just ride. Owning a talented/valuable horse does not equal dressage shows. I'll bet there are many people on this Board, who have equally talented horses and do not show due to circumstances in their lives, but would never give up riding.
      "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Comment

Have you ever looked into doing lessons by video? It's not ideal, but it works really well for some people. If you could afford one video lesson a month, you might find yourself advancing enough to make you happier.

Comment

First, let begin by saying I'm sorry you're having to go through this because I know it's not pleasant. In reality we all face very tough decisions and have to come to terms with what we decide to do. For me it's putting down a horse that I feel I moved heaven and earth to get on the ground (but there are now health reasons for which there is no cure). I will be following through on my decision on Wednesday. Your decision is whether to sell or not; so, personally I think it could be worse. Yet, again, I do understand the turmoil you're burdened with. I think there are a few things here though that you need to re-think or clarify (not to us) to yourself if you haven't already:

1. Do you need the money? If so then sell.
          2. How can you say you'll never have another? You got lucky once. You could get lucky again. Sure the odds may appear to be against it; but, unless your crystal ball is better than mine you just never know what the future will bring (both good and bad).
          3. Are you happy just trail riding and/or training a horse with less talent or will that horse "suffer" for not being what you almost had?
          4. Can you afford to take care of both horses. If you can then there is no moral/ethical reason to get rid of the horse. Things could change, someone could move closer or who knows what circumstances may present themselves. I've seen many talented horses start late in life - low mileage isn't always a bad thing.

Whichever you decide to do, there is no right or wrong answer. Again it all comes down to what you can live with day in and day out.
          Ranch of Last Resort

Comment

I've got to agree that what your horse "should" be doing isn't something to worry about. Show ring potential is all well and good, but that doesn't mean the horse has to live up to it. If you enjoy working with him, can provide him a good home where he is happy, and don't want to sell him, then why on earth would you feel like you shouldn't keep him?

I mean, I might be willing to listen to the argument if we were talking about a horse that was somehow guaranteed to rival Totilas or something. Since I doubt that's the case (no offense, I hope you know what I mean), I don't think you need to worry about it.

Of course, I have a really fantastic young horse that started out with a bang but now I mostly just trail ride because I school other people's horses all day and I like just relaxing on mine, so I'm a bit biased.
            exploring the relationship between horse and human

Comment

How many horses with potential never get anywhere because of a stupid injury or illness? Hoe wmany more don't get anywhere because of "training issues?" The majority, I think.

If you can afford him, and he suits your needs, keep him. Obviously, if either you need the money or he didn't suit your needs (not a good trail horse or not enough time to ride him, etc.) then don't keep him.

In my view, there is nothing wrong with keeping him. What is tragic is seeing a horse with potential lost due to stupid accidents, etc. and that happens more often than not.
              "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

Posted by exvet:

In reality we all face very tough decisions and have to come to terms with what we decide to do. For me it's putting down a horse that I feel I moved heaven and earth to get on the ground (but there are now health reasons for which there is no cure). I will be following through on my decision on Wednesday.
                Sorry to hear this, exvet. Hope it isn't one of your cool Cobs.

Alterrcation, if you can afford to keep your nice young horse, I would keep him. Have fun. Your other horse still needs a buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Alterrcation View Post
                  :All shows are also 3-6 hours away and it is not a sport for the lower income bracket people.
                  I've got no idea what your current show expenses are, but every time I've been to a dressage show people appear to be spending all kinds of $$. Traveling those distances are not uncommon in eventing. We camp in our trailers at shows, live out of coolers for food, don't get new tack often, and warm ourselves up trainerless. Maybe you could look at your show expenses and see if you could get there?
                  Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Comment

I have to second Blaster's recommendation for eventing shows. I've had the most fun there - it's such a relaxed atmosphere, and everyone has made me feel so welcome, even though I'm a wuss who refused to set foot on the cross-country with my Friesian! I camp, we roast hotdogs with everyone else, and just enjoy the atmosphere.

Comment

Question...are you getting pressure from others about your horse? If so I've been there.

I got behind the "timeline" for my last two youngsters and you wouldn't believe the number of people who say "why aren't you do more with them by now...what a waste"? Sometimes circumstances get in the way, so I just blow it off.

I had people telling me that 18 years ago when I didn't even start some of my homebreds until they were 4. And they turned out just great!

SO WHAT, if he doesn't move up the levels at a predetermined pace. As someone else mentioned, he could be injured at any time and never progress at all...and if that happens he will still be with you, and not be sent "down the pike".

If it isn't about showing to you (and I'm sure he could care less...), then I would just do the best you can (video lessons that someone mentioned is a splendid idea) and enjoy this fine horse that you are so proud of.

Remember, just because someone owns a Masarati or Corvette doesn't mean they have to be a race car driver....
                      www.littlebullrun@aol.com See Little Bull Run's stallions at:
                      "Argosy" - YouTube and "Boleem" - YouTube
                      Boleem @ 1993 National Dressage Symposium - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by CosMonster View Post
                        I've got to agree that what your horse "should" be doing isn't something to worry about. Show ring potential is all well and good, but that doesn't mean the horse has to live up to it. If you enjoy working with him, can provide him a good home where he is happy, and don't want to sell him, then why on earth would you feel like you shouldn't keep him?

I mean, I might be willing to listen to the argument if we were talking about a horse that was somehow guaranteed to rival Totilas or something. Since I doubt that's the case (no offense, I hope you know what I mean), I don't think you need to worry about it.
                        Agree with this.

The horse has no idea that it has "potential." The horse just wants to eat grass and hang out.

If it is a nice horse that you enjoy riding, why give it up? You will regret it, I am certain. Good horses are hard to come by and if you have one I'd hang onto it and enjoy it, and be grateful the universe sent it your way! Who cares if you guys never light the dressage world on fire, what does it matter in the long run.
                        We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Comment

If you sold or free leased the "other" horse would you be able to afford lessons on the more talented one?

Maybe you are considering selling the wrong horse.

Comment

Good point. "Dressage" horses love to hack out trail ride too when given the opportunity....
                            www.littlebullrun@aol.com See Little Bull Run's stallions at:
                            "Argosy" - YouTube and "Boleem" - YouTube
                            Boleem @ 1993 National Dressage Symposium - YouTube

Comment

I "should" be at 3rd level by now on my dressage bred 17.1H Dutch warmblood, but much to my dressage trainers dismay, but seemingly my horse's approval, we are now doing endurance---barefoot.

Comment

Do you enjoy riding him? Then keep him!

I bought a very fancy, beautiful mover. He turned out to not be suitable for dressage because he couldn't handle collection (long story but part physical, part early training errors).

I felt terrible about not riding him to his potential.

I also didn't have the money to stay in a program, schelp to shows, etc.

I started foxhunting him and found that he was amazing at that. He loved to jump, he loved to be out and about watching the hounds and he was a blast. I always got compliments about what a lovely mover he was .

Foxhunting was less expensive, closer and more convenient to boot.

He never knew that he was bred for dressage. He loved foxhunting.

I guess my message is don't get trapped into thinking your horse has to excel at a particular discipline.
                                Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                                EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Originally posted by sign of Grace View Post
                                  I "should" be at 3rd level by now on my dressage bred 17.1H Dutch warmblood, but much to my dressage trainers dismay, but seemingly my horse's approval, we are now doing endurance---barefoot.
                                  Cool!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bogie View Post
                                    I guess my message is don't get trapped into thinking your horse has to excel at a particular discipline.
                                    This!

I love all the stories of people enjoying their horses, whatever the discipline and whether they are showing or not.
                                    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Comment

You have more than one horse but...

You don't have enough money to campaign this one? Why not sell the putzing horse, and focus your resources on this one? I don't see why THIS is the horse, of the two, that you'd think of selling??

I guess I don't get the vent, when you've chosen to own multiple horses. I own one horse and am very poor. I can't imagine owning two! Seems to me you could go down to one horse and better pursue your dressage goals.

I agree with all the other posters that your horse doesn't care if he's a big shot dressage horse as long as he's loved and gets attention/exercise. I still don't understand the complaint when you've tied yourself to two horses.
                                      2007 Welsh Cob C X TB GG Eragon
                                      Our training journal.
                                      1989-2008 French TB Shamus Fancy
                                      I owned him for fifteen years, but he was his own horse.

Comment

Originally posted by FlashGordon View Post
                                        Agree with this.

The horse has no idea that it has "potential." The horse just wants to eat grass and hang out.

If it is a nice horse that you enjoy riding, why give it up? You will regret it, I am certain. Good horses are hard to come by and if you have one I'd hang onto it and enjoy it, and be grateful the universe sent it your way! Who cares if you guys never light the dressage world on fire, what does it matter in the long run.
                                        This! Your horse will be fine.
                                        "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                                        ---
                                        The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

Working...
                                        X