• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dressage Trainers In or Within A Few Hours of BUFFALO, NY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dressage Trainers In or Within A Few Hours of BUFFALO, NY

Hi Everyone

It is possible I will be moving to Buffalo for work in the near future, so I am in search of a dressage trainer.

Dressage Trainer Search
    I am looking for a dressage trainer either in or within a few hours of Buffalo, NY. I am happy to drive several hours for a trailer-in lesson over the weekend. I would even drive 5 or 6 hours for the right person.

I am looking for a trainer that is confirmed FEI who ideally has some confirmed FEI students as well.

Canada is fine with me too (I have already mapquested the distance to Eddo Hoekstra and consider that doable, but would like to explore other options in addition.) Is there something I need to know about taking horses back and forth across the border?

Boarding in Buffalo Area
    Also, since my horses would be based in Buffalo, if anyone can recommend a nice place to board with an indoor I would be very grateful. Including board prices for stall and pasture board would be most appreciated (I would prefer a pasture board option for the summer at the very least). There does not need to be a trainer at the home facility; I am fine with keeping my horses at a little mom and pop place, and then trailering out for training.

I appreciate any help in advance.
    Thanks!

Perhaps try Western New York Dressage Association (WNYDA).

www.wnyda.org

Good luck in your search!!
    I LOVE my Chickens!

Comment

If Canada is ok, then I highly recommend

www.m2dressage.com

FEI experience in a very happy, positive environment....

Comment

FEI-rider/trainer Louisa-Marcelle Eadie is in North Salem, NY. Her site is www.lmedressage.com. She has trained horses to GP, and is the student of Anne Gribbons, "O" judge. Her amateur owner students have multiple wins in their region finals every year. She would be amenable to you trailering in as well. Indoor ring, outdoor dressage ring being finished this spring, miles of trails, top-line horse care. Let me know if I can answer any questions for you!

Marthe
        Aboutsigi.com

Comment

Susan Barisone Gilson, Fourlea Farm, Ontario, NY
          Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

North Salem is on the other side of the state.
            Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
            "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Comment

You might want to check out Nancy Smith. She is on the east side of Cleveland May-Nov, and in the winter months goes back every 4 weeks for two day clinics. You could arrange weekend or two day visits. Not sure who all her students are now; she did have several PSG clients; I was one until old horse retired and new horse not there yet. She also has a student (from Erie Pa) who went to the Young Rider championships a couple years ago. Has brought horses to GP; currently has a rising star at PSG/I-1, and another young one at 3rd level.
              PM me if you want to know more. Her web site is http://equisentialinc.com/.
              We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

You have a PM

Comment

Cazenovia is about 20 miles from Syracuse. She worked with my gelding and my working student and Crystal is a GP dressage rider. Highly recommended.

Crystal Gaskell

Cazenovia, NY

315-662-7851

CrystGs@aol.com

Comment

Was going to suggest Eddo. Pickin's are slim in the immediate area, to be honest, but if you're willing to travel a bit there are more options.

Here's one:
                    http://www.labarredressage.com/michelle

I don't know Michelle personally but have heard very good things about her.

Here's another:
                    http://www.briarwoodstables.com/services.html

I lessoned with her once, and saw her teach several times. I thought she was good, I certainly enjoyed the lesson and learned from it and would have continued with her had I had the opportunity.

As far as boarding goes, is there any particular area in/around Buffalo that you'd like to be?

Large boarding barns:

Clarence/Akron area:
                    http://maplerowfarm.com/
                    http://www.brookfieldstables.com/
                    http://www.newsteadequestrian.com/
                    http://willowcreekfarm.org/

Alden:
                    Pheasant Run Stables
                    472 Four Rod Road
                    Alden, NY 14004
                    (716) 937-4814

Elma/Marilla:
                    http://hightimestables.com/

Orchard Park:
                    http://www.skibbereenfarm.com/
                    (primarily an H/J flavor but a nice place with good care)

North, near Wilson:
                    http://www.tompinkowski.net/
                    (Tom is a western rider but he has pasture board and again very good care)

There are lots of smaller facilities too.... Also some private barns scattered across the area that occasionally take in boarders.

Feel free to PM me if you want or if you have any questions.
                    Last edited by FlashGordon; Feb. 13, 2011, 07:43 PM.
                    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Comment

Originally posted by merrygoround View Post
                      Susan Barisone Gilson, Fourlea Farm, Ontario, NY
                      Just an fyi, Ontario is well east of Rochester, and up towards the lake; away from the Thruway.

Also, don't know where you're moving from, but lets just say that Buffalo gets a fair amount of snow and bad weather in the winter...That may limit your trailering during those months. If you don't know the term "lake effect snow" now, you will soon...

Last but not least, there is a farm "Chestnut Ridge" northeast of Buffalo, big facility; they advertise that Eddo comes there quarterly (well, 4x per year!). I don't think its too complicated to get horses back and forth to Canada; but it may take time at the border.
                      We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you so much everyone for your responses! I really appreciate all the help.

To answer a couple points:

North Salem is fine by me; it is a drive but I grew up outside Manhattan and can see myself happily trailering in, lessoning, spending some time with the family, and going home again.

I really don't mind a long distance and making a weekend of it if the instruction is good enough.

With that in mind, any barns that are 3 or fewer hours away become, "Oh neat, only takes one day!" status.

That is good to hear that Eddo clinics in the area pretty regularly. I am still not sure, since I have the trailer, if it wouldn't be better to load up the two horse and go to him (possibly take time off and buy a week's worth of training board?), since when I clinic-ed with him it was $165 per ride (and no, stalls and lunch were NOT included.)
                        But either way those are good options to explore and weigh gas expense vs extra lesson expense. I have no idea what he charges for an at home lesson so this could either be an awesome plan or a seriously dumb one.

FlashGordon, thank you SO MUCH for the boarding barn suggestions. That is the most helpful thing EVER. I loved the look of the Tom Pinkowski place (via the website) for my two guys and am glad to hear from a third party that it is good care pasture board.

Thank you again, everyone. I am still not sure if I am going (it's not in my hands; whether or not I get the job will decide) but I feel so much better getting a plan in place for the horses so that if the phone does ring I can just load and go.
                        Again, thank you thank you thank you!

Comment

Tom and his wife are wonderful, have a great reputation locally, and I don't think you'd be sorry boarding there. If you PM COTHer "SarahandSam" she could give you more info, she has boarded there for quite some time. If it weren't too long of a commute I'd have my gelding there.

My horse is at Willow Creek Farm, it is a pretty basic, mom-n-pop operation but I've been there many years and my horses ALWAYS do well there.

Tom has more pasture than us at WCF so he has a leg up in that regard.

FWIW, I wouldn't have any qualms about boarding at any of the barns I listed. They are all well-established facilities. They all offer different things, at different price points, so just depends on what specifics you are looking for.

Anyway good luck! Yes Eddo is in town regularly. If you are into him, WAZ used to be though I'm not sure how much anymore. I believe Vera Bowman will sometimes come down to a barn if there are several people willing to lesson with her and she can make a day of it.

Comment

Originally posted by classicsporthorses View Post
                            Cazenovia is about 20 miles from Syracuse. She worked with my gelding and my working student and Crystal is a GP dressage rider. Highly recommended.

Crystal Gaskell

Cazenovia, NY

315-662-7851

CrystGs@aol.com
                            Only about 4+ hours , on a good day from Buffalo.
                            Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Dressage Trainer for Buffalo

North Salem, NY is 6 hours, 42 minutes from Buffalo, according to Mapquest. As I read the request, the rider in question is willing to go 5-6 hours and trailer in for lessons. My recommendation for Louisa Eadie stands. And as I read the rider's response, she is familiar with the area and might be interested.

Perhaps you were having a bad day.

Originally posted by ise@ssl View Post
                              North Salem is on the other side of the state.

Comment

Perhaps you are a bit sensitive to anyone pointing out the obvious about your suggestion.
                                In my opinion it is a very long haul for a lesson. Consider the poor horse.
                                Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
                                "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by ise@ssl View Post
                                  Perhaps you are a bit sensitive to anyone pointing out the obvious about your suggestion.
                                  In my opinion it is a very long haul for a lesson. Consider the poor horse.
                                  With all due respect, I did make it very clear in my OP that extensive driving times were ok with me. It was obvious from the start that I was ok with it, and I made it so in order not to miss suggestions that might be further away.

I actually grew up riding in the North Salem area and would be happy to spend a long holiday home with the family and bring the horses along for some lessons while I am at it.

However, this thread was about finding good FEI level trainers within a few hours of Buffalo. If at any point you would like to suggest one, your suggestion would be most welcome. I would certainly hope that your participation in this thread won't be limited to attempting to discourage other posters from making exactly the sort of suggestions I specifically was looking for.

Either way thanks for your input.

Comment

I believe Debbie Lockemeyer has all the qualifications you're looking for and is located just outside of Rochester, NY.

However, it looks like she hasn't updated her website in a while. I'd give her a call.
                                    http://www.pegasusdressage.com/index.php?page=deb

p.s. Welcome to Buffalo, home to 4am last calls.
                                    Last edited by Steffcia; Feb. 15, 2011, 03:26 AM. Reason: Added location

Comment

Originally posted by Steffcia View Post

p.s. Welcome to Buffalo, home to 4am last calls.

Comment

Another suggestion - really nice facilities too.
                                        http://glennleafarm.com/

Comment

Working...
                                        X