• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Help me pick out a Helmet!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me pick out a Helmet!

So now that we have to wear helmets below 4th level...how about we make a thread for the "not used to wearing a helmet at shows" people. Although I have not worn a helmet since I was 18 (yea, probably not the smartest thing), I support this new rule! And in a couple years I will be starting my boy under saddle, and will wear a helmet everyday with him!

I would love a helmet that doesn't make me look like an alien, or have a huge head. So please list the good and the bad/ugly so all of us not used to this know which ones to buy

*Also- What looks better...I have a navy coat, do I get a navy helmet? Or do I just stick to black to match my boots?

Thanks in advance!
    Samantha Werner

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers

I love my CO GR8!!! Everything else looked like a salad bowl on my head I must have tried at least 10 different helmets before finding my true love lol.
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
    For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
    www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Comment

I also LOVE my CO GR8! I got a blue one to match my navy coat. I liked the helmet so much, I couldn't wear my old black velvet one any more, it just didn't feel as good, so I bought a black CO JR8 for schooling, and I LOVE that one as well! They are so comfortable, I forget I'm even wearing a helmet, and they do not look huge on my head like the old velvet ones.

IRH also makes a model that is very very similar in looks to the CO helmets, but the fit is a little different. I thought it squeezed my head funny, but my friend loved the way it felt and thought the CO didn't sit right on her head... so if the CO is uncomfortable for your head shape, try the IRH.

If you hurry, all Charles Owen stuff has been on sale, but I think it's only until the end of the month? It is never on sale any other time.
      Gallant Gesture "Liam" 1995 chestnut ottb gelding
      Mr. Painter "Remy" 2006 chestnut ottb gelding
      My Training Blog: www.dressagefundamentals.com

Comment

I have a Charles Owen JR8 for shows (which is the GR8 with a nylon harness intead of the fancy leather one). The all velvet Charles Owens are nice also, and I see quite a few of the GPA Titium/Textium styles.

I have all black because my show coat is black. My shad is midnight blue and I'd really like a blue helmet for it- but every one I've found is too light. For now, I'll be wearing my all black JR8 with the shad too.

I've seen helmets in black, navy, charcoal grey and brown all look really good depending on the horse/coat.

Comment

I love my Charles Owen JR8. I am very petite and don't look good in big helmets unless you like the lollipop look. I have all black.
          It is so comfortable, I don't even think about wearing it, even in the hottest of hot weather.
          Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
          Takaupas Top Gold
          Gifts Black Gold Knight

Comment

You know what I'd like to see - photos - good photos of people wearing the different COs and IRHs and other helmets - because some of these suckers look really nice on the shelf and then you put them on your 52 year old self and you gotta go, hey, oh, wow, now that just ain't right, I mean, what the dickens! Dang, that's a sad looking woman, nope, nosireebob, not what I envisioned myself looking like in the show ring at.all. Wowser.

For what its worth, the only pictures I see of people with helmets on are 16 year old girls in the Dover catalogue wearing watermelons with winning smiles. Just haven't seen a nice looking photo like over fences identifying the helmet.

I've seen some nice jumper pics with good looking helmets, but I'll be darned if I know what helmet they are!

I mean, if they show photos of the helmets with no heads in them, is that a clue?
            Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

I recently tried on the JR8 at Dover and I thought it was quite mushroomy. The lowest profile ones I tried were IRH. Elite maybe? They were nice, but didn't fit me well. I have learned not to order helmets online because you really need to try them on.

Comment

I would definitely worry less about how it looks than how it fits - you can find some which look nicer than others, but ultimately a poor fitting helmet is both unsafe and distracting. I'd definitely go try some on in person, as they come in various oval/round types of shapes.
                Originally posted by Silverbridge
                If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

Another one that loves the CO JR8! I don't have any pictures unfortunately, but I wear a 7 and it does not look terribly mushroomy. After years and years of skull caps, I love how lightweight and comfy it is.

Comment

The Charles Owen Hampton Hat is a beautiful helmet (depending on your head shape!) and I loved it while I was competing dressage. Its much more classically styled, very pretty. the leather harness on the COs is great too.

I compete in eventing in my IRH ATH. They used to look like salad bowls, but the new ones are restyled to a lower profile, and I LOVE it....

pictures of both

sorry they're a little blurry...

link to dover:

CO

I have it in black

ATH

Mine is in black/gunmetal
                    proud momma of an evil grey QH/Arab who can jump the moon... and he stole my heart

Comment

I have a CO Wellington Pro. I liked the look of the GR8, but it looked absolutely stupid/ridiculous on my head. I have it in all black and I think it looks very nice. It's a little bigger than my GPA, but I don't think it looks ridiculous. I also like the padded harness at the back of the neck. I'm assuming the regular CO Wellington would fit similarly.

Pictures of it "on model" I'm tiny and have a large head (sz 58), so if it looks weird to you, it *could* just be me!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5032967_n.jpg
                      http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3519029_n.jpg
                      "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Comment

I have the IRH Air 10 and love it! Its styled like the CO AYR8. Dover is the only place I've seen it so far.

The IRH version of the CO GR8 is the XR9. The CO fits oval heads better and the IRH fits rounder heads.

The GPA's also fit rounder heads.

The most popular helmet for the jumper crowd right now is the GPA Speed Air
                        Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
                        Witherun Farm
                        http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by netg View Post
                          I would definitely worry less about how it looks than how it fits - you can find some which look nicer than others, but ultimately a poor fitting helmet is both unsafe and distracting. I'd definitely go try some on in person, as they come in various oval/round types of shapes.
                          I agree. I have a long oval head, and there are a lot of helmets that will never fit me properly in any size, no matter how lovely they are.
                          "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
                          -Edward Hoagland

Comment

I love my Troxel Grand Prix- it's lightweight, comfortable, affordable, and durable. I also think it looks nice. I'm wearing it in my profile pic if you want to see it on, though that's not a closeup headshot....

Comment

I prefer the IRH

The IRH seems to look and fits the best on my head, long oval. I have the black IRH XR9 in the black suede and I also have the IRH Elite in the silver/ grey. The elite is extremely well ventilated, it is great for riding in Texas when it is warm or hot most of the time. Since the Elite has a hard outer shell it has become my everyday helmet and I gues I will save the XR9 for shows.
                              "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
                              "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
                              Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Comment

I have the IRH All Terrain and love it! But I don't show though I will likely wear it for showing as well. I wanted low profile and vents since I wear it 6-8 hours a day. My only complaint is it's not a dial system and instead has pads to conform to your head. I fitted it to my head BEFORE I left the shop and 6 months later it still fits the same.
                                http://www.irhhelmets.com/ALL-TERRAI...met-ID-18.html
                                Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
                                Originally Posted by alicen:
                                What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Comment

I agree that the CO line in general seems to be universally flattering & comfy as far as helmets go (there are of course the exceptions). But as one who has owned troxel, tipperary, interntaional, ovation, CO and others, my CO was my favorite.

And I like big helmets - they can help balance your proportions as well or better than the the dreaded 80s shoulder pads! Anything that draws the eye up from my wide white breeches is OK!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you guys so much!! I really appreciate all the suggestions...now I just need to make it to a tack shop to try on
                                    Samantha Werner

There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing. ~ Will Rogers

Comment

Difference b/t the JR8 and GR8?

what is the difference between the JR8 and GR8 models by CO (besides price)? They both are described as low profile and one has a nylon harness while the other is nylon/leather.

Is there really a difference in the way it looks on the head?

I'm kinda in the same boat. I haven't really ridden in anything but a hunt cap during dressage at horse trials and don't want to wear my GPA (think bright silver and black) or skull cap in the dressage arena. But I also don't want to spend the money on a helmet at $270+ for a helmet that is the same thing at $140+ helmet.

Thanks,

Comment

The only difference I've truly noticed is the harness. I've never had the JR8 on but it looks very similar. It could fit differently and I just don't know so perhaps someone else will chime in
                                        No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
                                        For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
                                        www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Comment

Working...
                                        X