• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Please help me with custom boot options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me with custom boot options

I'm finally investing in a pair of custom dress boots. So many options are mind boggling. Specifically, could folks weigh in on the following options:

Zippers, yea or nay?
    If no zippers, thoughts on gussets?
    Tops - "Italian" high cut or regular Spanish tops
    Lining - full lining throughout or is it good to get softer on inside for feel?

I realize these are all personal choices but hoping I can get some ideas on what people like/don't like, would do over, before I spend the $$.

Having worn all combinations recently I can tell you what I would do and the pros/cons I've found.

1. Zippers - Yes, love them. Zippers will need to be replaced from time to time and require more maintenance but are so much more convenient! They are best on the inside front.

2. Extra high tops - Yes, they make my legs look slimmer and longer. : )

3. Full lining - I have Vogels with no lining, Vogels with dressage lining (VERY thick and stiff) and Cavallos with normal lining. I don't really like the Very thick and stiff. I think some lining helps quiet your legs but the very thick feels like a cast to me and they do not give, stretch, mold etc. to your calves very easily.

One other thing I would recommend- make sure you have someone who knows how to measure and/or go to someone who will measure them and assume the risk if their measurements are off. I bought one pair of custom boots that a friend measured and they did not fit at all. I was not able to return them and after many add'l $$ they now fit in the calf but are still a little short. I ordered another pair semi- custom online to save $$ and have spent as much adding soles and zippers as I would if I had just ordered through the local tack shop.

Good luck! Once you get a nice fitting pair of custom boots you will never go back!

Comment

How exciting to be ordering new boots!! Lucky you!

I have 3 pairs of Konigs. One is full custom and two are semi custom. The oldest pair is going on 13 years, I wear them almost daily, and they are still nice enough to show in if I needed to. Mine are all very stiff because I like how stable they are in the ankle. Two pairs have a rubber traction sole applied over the leather sole. I really like this option and I have yet to wear them out! They also do not absorb moisture as easily as leather.

To answer your questions:
      Zippers - absolutely!! Could not live without them! Just be aware that some custom boots come with a smaller toothed zipper than the heavy duty ones that Woody installs down in West Palm Beach, so request the heavy duty ones if that option is available. My custom Konigs came with medium duty zippers that did last a long time, but not as long as the heavy duty's.

Extra high tops - well, it depends. I got them on my custom boots, and I wouldn't get the extreme high tops again. I have muscular short legs, and I do not find this top as flattering as the lower rounded tops. JMHO.

Lining - I prefer the still lining, as I like how stable my ankle is. Definately wouldn't want floppy ankles, and you do not need soft insides for feel, as the ankle and heel part of the boot is not used for dressage like it is in hunters.

As for measuring - if you plan on wearing them with thick breeches, during the winter with thick socks, or with long underwear, make sure you accomodate for that extra thickness. I did not think of this with any of Konigs, and when the weather is super cold, I really wish I could wear a heavy sock comfortably and a thick breech with long johns underneath. Instead I wear Tropical Rider Endura Cools with lycra long johns, med weight fleece socks, and Futi's over the outside to keep toes warm. This actually keeps me very warm, even though the layers are thin.

What brands are you thinking of?

I bet you can hardly wait to get them ordered and then received!

Comment

i just ordered my 2nd pair of custom koenigs for dressage (4th customs overall, i also have gone through bad fit custom field boots years ago (that the shop said "too bad" then better ones later -- im too tall for off the shelf)

i am doing zippers again (inside front)
        (ill never have boots without them again, i doubt i could even put on stiff dressage boots without the zips, i'll never have horrible calf cramps from pulling off too tight or sweaty boots again!)

i am doing gussets again (they make that initial break in period *so* much better), allow for weight changes and forgive a bit too tight boots during the break in time

I am going to change to the extra high tops this time -- i have plain spanish tops now and they no longer look "in style"

fully lined/medium stiff -- less than fully lined and they will drop a lot more

this is my second pair of koenigs.
        i also adjusted the height up 1 cm and added 1 cm to the calf -- the advantage of keeping the same brand is that *hopefully* you can make minor adjustments and have an even better fit over time (i have been very happy with my first pair, but am going to have every day boots vs. show boots now)

I also have had vogel field boots x 2 and did the gussets but that was before the days that zippers were popular - though i seldom jump in them these days, the one day i jumped in a clinic this fall and had to get the boots pulled off afterwards made me really, really appreciate the zips i have become used to.

pm if you want me to send you a pic of the regular spanish tops from a show pic-- 5 years ago they were the in style, but now the spanish tops look "old fashioned" to me

ps make sure you get the wedge heel lifts ahead so when the boots arrive you can start wearing them -- i also added xtra thick gel insoles from the drug store during the break in time to give me a bit more help with the high backs-- i had wounds!-- so when i got them i needed the wedges and insoles too, and now i wish i had 1 extra cm in height!

Comment

pps
          be sure to have a very candid discussion with the owner/manager of the shop you order from about how it will be handled if the fit is not good...
          i lived through riding, teaching and hunting in college, blood cutting off circulation, painful field boots, because the person that measured me measured poorly and the shop said it would cost too much money to send them back and have them done again -- they said no returns.

that hasn't been my experience for the last few orders, but back then i was screwed and didn't understand that the store was responsible to make it right.

and try not to just have a random sales person if you can help it, ask for a manager, owner, or at least senior sales person to do the measure, perhaps call to schedule ahead.

and if they aren't right, send them back -- even if you need them for the show next weekend, it is not worth keeping not quite right boots!

carovet

Comment

Custom boot recommendation

Lamundial.com. AMAZING!!!!!!!

Comment

Zippers, yea or nay? yes! especially if you have big feet and small ankes with skinny legs
              If no zippers, thoughts on gussets?
              Tops - "Italian" high cut or regular Spanish topsI did spanish, but I have a long leg
              Lining - full lining throughout or is it good to get softer on inside for feel?I have the Vogels with full lining
              Humans don’t mind duress, in fact they thrive on it. What they mind is not feeling necessary. –Sebastian Junger

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you

Thanks, everyone. Yes I'm thrilled to be getting them but also apprehensive since it's a big investment and I've heard horror stories from a few people. But the fit tips here are great, thank you. Fantastic, I will probably go with one of the American makers, Dehner or Vogel. One thing I forgot to mention, I have never had a problem pulling boots on so wouldn't necessarily need a zipper. Don't know if one should avoid a potentially high maintenance part if it isn't essential.

If anybody else could comment on the "dressage wishbone" lining versus regular full lining that would be great. I want a correct look but don't want to have it be uncomfortable past the break in period.

Also as carovet said, is it true that regular spanish tops are out of style?

Comment

Der Dau boots are also American made and very good.

Make sure the person taking the measurements knows what he or she is doing. When I got mine 6 years ago I was measured by my local tack shop. The first pair didn;t fit so they sent them back. The second, and maybe the third didn't fit either, I've lost track. The local tack shop and DerDau were having booths at a nearby expo and I took the boots there. A DerDau rep measured me and showed the local person where she had made her mistake. I have a "low calf".

I promptly broke my ankle, called DerDau and told them to HOLD THE BOOTS. To late, they were done and on their way. It was over a year until I could get them on, even with zippers but they are indeed beautiful
                  I wasn't always a Smurf
                  Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                  "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                  The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

If I didn't need zippers, I would definitely not get them. You never know when yours might break, and from what I've been told they definitely will at some point.

My Vogels fit me absolutely perfectly from the first time I put them on. I went to the local tack store for measuring, and she knows what she's doing - I get the impression that's every bit as important as the bootmaker. I have teenie ankles and am narrow just below my knees - but have larger calves. There is no way to have a boot fit me properly and be capable of pulling it on and off without a zipper. Add high arches to that, and you have even more of a problem.

I was recommended the back of the leg zippers, but don't remember why. They're certainly no problem for me.
                    Originally posted by Silverbridge
                    If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

I would like to know what we did pre-zippers? I can't imagine getting boots on without them, but somehow managed for many, many years for slipping my boots on.

Could it be that boots now are much tighter and fitted because of the zippers? I tried to get my boots on without undoing the zipper, and I couldn't even get my foot 1/2 way down.

I would recommend having someone measure you. I have seen ghastly results with people who got boots where they self-measured. I just don't think you can do it right. Someone who measures people regularly for boots knows what they are doing, and it is worth any extra money it might cost.

Comment

I have to disagree that you require someone with experience to measure you properly. I ordered custom Cavallos from Germany with measurements that my husband took for me. The instructions that the manufacturer provided left nothing to interpretation and the whole process was fairly simple. We took each measurement a number of times to make sure we came out with an "average" but the numbers rarely changed. Foot tracings were also submitted when I sent in the order.

I was very nervous waiting for the boots to arrive but they fit beautifully. I have received so many compliments on them and have convinced a number of people at my barn to consider measuring for themselves the next time they order customs. I saved $500 by not having my local tack store do the fitting. This is not rocket science as they may make you believe

As for the OP... I love my zippers and the high cut is a very elegant look.

Comment

Originally posted by netg View Post
                          If I didn't need zippers, I would definitely not get them. You never know when yours might break, and from what I've been told they definitely will at some point.

Supposedly the boots with the zippers towards the inside front are more long lasting and under less stress than the ones down the back
                          I wasn't always a Smurf
                          Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                          "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                          The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

Originally posted by Flap15 View Post
                            I have to disagree that you require someone with experience to measure you properly. I ordered custom Cavallos from Germany with measurements that my husband took for me.
                            Clearly he's got a great career option as a boot-measurer, because that would be my warning, as well.

I have fully-lined Dehners with a high square top that looks okay when I'm on a horse, but not great otherwise. I agree with Fantastic that they're not as flattering to the stocky leg. I require zippers, thought I might still want to jump (delusional, yes), so didn't get the wishbone back and don't miss it at all.
                            *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Comment

Originally posted by Marcella View Post
                              I would like to know what we did pre-zippers? I can't imagine getting boots on without them, but somehow managed for many, many years for slipping my boots on.

Could it be that boots now are much tighter and fitted because of the zippers? I tried to get my boots on without undoing the zipper, and I couldn't even get my foot 1/2 way down.

I would recommend having someone measure you. I have seen ghastly results with people who got boots where they self-measured. I just don't think you can do it right. Someone who measures people regularly for boots knows what they are doing, and it is worth any extra money it might cost.
                              I had either field boots or boots which were too big in the foot, and they were hugely uncomfortable from being far too loose in the ankle, and looked awful from being too loose below the knee.

It is not physically possible for a tall boot to fit me well without either lacing, zipping, or stretching.
                              Originally posted by Silverbridge
                              If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

custom boots

I second having an experienced sales person do the measuring. Please place your order using a credit card. Custom made boots have to fit. If they don't fit your credit card company can be your ally in getting a satisfactory product. Yes, I know this by direct experience.

Comment

I vote for Vogel based on their customer service & workmanship.

My dress boots are circa 1989 & have gone back to Vogel for gussets, then back zippers, then zipper repair (1 boot only & they charged me exactly 1/2 the cost of work on a pair).
                                  All over the course of 20 years.
                                  Customer service has always been outstanding.

Boots still fit & are as comfortable as Day One.
                                  The zips were added about 10yrs into ownership & I'd never want a pair without.
                                  High arches made pulling boots on a crampfest & pulling them off after a long day of showing torturous.

I was doing H/J when they were purchased so no Spanish cut.
                                  I opted for lining the cuff only.
                                  Maybe more lining would have made pre-zipper removal easier?
                                  *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                                  Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                                  Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                                  Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Lamundial.com. AMAZING!!!!!!!

YOUR ARE KIDDING RIGHT......WORST COMPANY ON THE PLANET!!!!

Comment

I'd vote for Dehner, I have 2 pairs of custom from them. The first pair I had fitted for me by a professional. when I was ready for a second pair, I just called them up and they save the measurements (the 2nd pair only cost $700).

by the way I still have the 1st pair after 7 years of daily riding the are still good enough for showing and have needed zero repair

Personally I don't like zippers I've had a lot of problems with them. I think its find if you have 2 or 3 pairs of boots and don't mind if a pair is of for a week or 2 getting repaired

Comment

I vote for Dehner too- love the way the feet/ankles look over the other brands for some reason. And my first pair is going on 12 and still look fantastic.

Also I see riders with the super high cut tops and I don't think it makes their legs look longer, I just think "oh, they got extra high boot tops so people think their legs look longer". If you get the boots the correct height (No you should not be able to sit in a chair in them!) the normal curve will be enough to augment the line a little.

If you get stiffeners I would advise zippers - my regular denhers were pretty stiff but nothing like the pipes you get when you have stiffeners ( I have a zip pair of konigs with zippers too). Which pretty much make it impossible to just pull the boots on.

Comment

Working...
                                        X