• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

7th Ride on My 3.5 year old - PICS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7th Ride on My 3.5 year old - PICS

So the vet gave me the go ahead to lightly put Rex back into work. Which I mean, thats all he was doing before anyways was light work. So its been another 2 weeks since he was worked with (I lunged him 2 wks ago to eval if he was lame, etc with the boggy hock and just got on and walked around to cool him out).

So light lunge which honestly is to get him focused on me, paying attention to me and my vocal cues while w/t/c, and to eval his attitude for the day. If we can w/t/c to the right with no shenanigans, we are good to go. So maybe 10 mins of that, if that. I had to go wake up my mom to ask her to come out and be my ground person just in case as I am not going to ride a young horse esp with time off and only his 7th ride alone.

Anyways, stands like a statue when I mount and turns around and looks at me like "Finally!" Lots of walking and working on going straight and not look like a drunk sailor. Started working more on turning which to the right is more of a challenge. He wants to root on the reins and moreso to the right but after a few mins, he stopped for the most part and when he started, I could cue him forward with the whip and he was fine. By the end of the ride, we were making turns fairly well with inside rein direct cue, release, direct rein, release, etc.

I did not canter though technically I could of. I have only cantered him personally twice u/s and only once out in the open. With his time off, first ride back, and not being with my trainer, I didnt want to push it. So we trotted around with changes across the diagonal for like 15 mins. I think at the end I was more out of breath than he was! His trot looks so easy and floaty, which it is, for him! Its def more work for me coming from Layla and add in the fact that I havent conhsistantly ridden since Sept/Oct and hes a bouncey baby horse and yeh, its a little work!

The Moms so wonderfully took pics for me. And I must say, shes got great timing! Usually my pics are stills from videos so I can get the right timing with the stride but these are all pics she took - WTG Mom!

Done with our lunge and ready to go ride
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...4_979642_n.jpg

First trot of the day and off we go on our 7th ride
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6307929_n.jpg

Cheesin' at the camera person and you can see how I have my knees into those knee rolls doing what I can to ride half way decently LOL I did shorten my stirrups and it def helped but it is just going to take practice to get me used to his gaits
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3006930_n.jpg

Such a good boy - and now Im the one cheesin' lol
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3535115_n.jpg

He figured out the straight lines thing pretty easily
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6361720_n.jpg

Both of us starting to figure each other out
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5096140_n.jpg

Just completed another right turn. His more unbalanced way is to the right so he will tilt his head to the outside but driving him forward helps that
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3401086_n.jpg

Across the diagonal to go on the left rein
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3108739_n.jpg

Really starting to relax and find a nice rhythm
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2360091_n.jpg

I kept hearing Dean in my head "Forward!" so was trying to do my best - go forward, do what I felt comfortable with alone, and do what I can without throwing myself way off balance
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3037713_n.jpg

Geez Im hanging on for dear life with those knees and thighs! lol <3 his tail
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5009758_n.jpg

This is really nice, esp for tracking right
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...6_358822_n.jpg

Happy pony
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6700106_n.jpg

During a right turn
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._7119907_n.jpg

Whew! All done!
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._4275750_n.jpg

And one of Miss Layla so she doesnt feel left out. And yes, she really is that fat!
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._4271876_n.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

What a lovely boy You must be excited to be back in the saddle with him!!!
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you. I am thrilled esp since I havent worked him (other than the cool out walk) in over 5 weeks!
      ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Comment

Very nice.

It is funny, my DBF just took some pics of me on Frodo today (posted in SHB forum) and I was looking at his pictures of his 10th ride, for comparison. I vividly remember those first several rides... I swear... isn't it great??
        ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
        *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
        *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
        My Facebook

Comment

He is SOOOOOO adorable!

Comment

• Original Poster

It is! I cant wait to look back a year from now.
            ~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Looking good, Krazy! I like the forward moving shots best. Why was he off work?

I had a lesson today on my green/crooked/unbalanced young mare. It was really interesting for me to see the same issues we worked on in your horse -- namely falling onto the right shoulder and tilting nose out to the left (all totally normal young horse stuff). We worked on getting her to stretch her left side while going on a right circle without falling on her right front, all very hard for my little downhill, "cow pony" mare.

Best of luck as you progress with your handsome guy. He is still such a baby -- he's going to be a real looker.

Comment

• Original Poster

He came in with a big hock the day after bringing my friends horse to my house (to board there). Of course with it being cold and a new horse, they were all running like idiots. The swelling was in the same place that was a *tiny* bit puffy prior to his OCD surgery.

I emailed the surgeon who said it was likely inflamed from him running around and if hes not lame and theres no heat or tenderness (which there wasnt) to give it a week or two. So I did and wrapping it with DMSO/furacin, cold hosing, bute, everything thrown at it and it never changed.

So after having to wait for Christmas and New Years to go as my only days off are Fridays and for 2 weeks in a row, both Fridays were holidays, I was able to get a vet out to xray and do an exam. He flexed sound and xrays were perfect. Recommended draining some of it and then injecting the hock. The technical name is bog spavin or boggy hock. He did have blood in the swelling which was explained to me that since this area was already stretched out from the swelling prior to the OCD surgery, it was more likely to swell again and he likely had a small tear in the sheath from running around which filled into this stretched out area. So drained a lot of it and then injected with Vetalog and HA. Hes never been lame on it and vet is confident this will not effect his soundness even long term and that at most it will be a cosmetic blemish. So if you look at his right hock in the pics, you can see its bulbus.

With this being his 7th ride (5th time trotting), I am pleased with how quickly he picked up the straight lines and the beginnings of the turning aids. Now that he has the go ahead to start back (which honestly, if I ride him once or twice a week, I am fine with that as hes still actively growing), hopefully we can move a little bit along. Before we worry about anything else, Dean (the trainer I have worked with in my previous posts who is known for starting sporthorses) stresses FORWARD. Going straight and turning and all that is fine and dandy but it serves no purpose without forward, which is not Rexs forte! lol

Hopefully I can have a lesson soon with Dean. I havent had one since the week after Tday (that was the last time Rex was actually worked and ridden). That lesson was the first time I cantered him out of the round pen and only for the 2nd time total. I still want some gentle nudging from Dean to do so before I choose to do it on my own at home!

How long has your mare been under saddle? Heck I still work on the same things with Layla and we were schooling 2nd! LOL
                ~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Oh, I didn't know he had OCD surgery. All I remember are the pics from when you got him, and the heart on his shoulder, and the recent pics of his first rides.

I started my mare summer '09 at age four. She foundered the previous fall so it was touch and go for awhile and I took it real easy on her. She then got the winter off as I was recovering from hysterectomy and associated "remodeling." Last spring/summer/fall I just rode her out in the pasture and did some trails -- that "forward" thing.

As you can see, she is conformationally challenged:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...by/shelby2.jpg
                  http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...by/shelby1.jpg

... thus the focus on getting her off the forehand. She only has to be a trail/husband horse, but as a dressage rider I want her to be soft and balanced -- can't help myself. Fortunately she is smooth as butter, like riding a barka lounger.

PS: I recently bought a warmblood weanling with a heart on his forehead!

Comment

Nice pictures. You look like a happy pair. Good luck with your riding progress.

Comment

Forgot to mention that I am a big fan of Lola -- love my bay Thoroughbreds. My older gelding is learning flying changes, yet we struggle with the crookedness as well. It is the left bend that kills me now.

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh shes lovely though! And the baby is cute too!

Left bend is my issue with Layla too. And to the left is my weaker way so it makes for a lot of fun! ha

Yes, Rex had OCD surgery May '10. Only had a DIRT lesion on his right hock, left was clean. Surgery went perfectly and theres no arthritis or anything.

You can look at my old posts.. I posted the first time I backed him and our first away ride (his 5th ride) and our first canter, etc. I certainly take plunty of pics! lol
                        ~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Yes, I've noticed your plentiful pictures -- you can never have too many pictures, in my opinion.

Now, because I'm too lazy to go back and find out, what is his breeding?

Comment

Boy, he looks like he is going to be a fancy one! I love how he's using himself - despite the fact he's still in the "figuring it out" stage. What a cutie.
                            Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

Comment

He sure is a handsome boy! Glad to hear that he is doing well!

Comment

• Original Poster

He is Oldenburg. GOV pink papered. By Routinier out of a MMB TB mare (google Gentle Wolf aka Dutchess to see pics of her, shes grey).

And thanks for all of your compliments!
                                ~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Looking GREAT! He's got "Yes ma'm" written all over his face. And you look really good too--lost weight?!

I'm working on that myself!

Comment

Lovely boy! Enjoy your journey with him, it's so rewarding with the young ones!!
                                    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by WBLover View Post
                                      Looking GREAT! He's got "Yes ma'm" written all over his face. And you look really good too--lost weight?!

I'm working on that myself!

Thanks and yes actually, 32lbs!
                                      ~~~~~~~~~

Comment

great pics...looks like you both are taking it all in stride.lol play on words.
                                        i love the rewards of starting youngsters...hoping to be riding my 3.5 yr old wb soon.he's oldenburg(dwb) as well with a x of appy/qh.

would love to see other pics or vids as you guys progress along..good luck with your boy.
                                        http://myridingjourney.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X