• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

heavy on bit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heavy on bit

We have an 8 y.o. Irish Horse who is built level at best. He hs the typical Irish head, long neck that joins low into his chest. He is short coupled, and big. 17.1 and somewhat heavy, though certainly not extreme.

My daughter is 5'10", weighs about 140 and has ridden for 20 years now. She is extremely STRONG, freakishly so. She has very good abs, legs. She has a tall seat.

I have worked with dressage horses, coaches, trainers and students many decades, and most of the training tips I give her, don't seem to be doing what we need them to do.

The horse hangs. He hangs when he is engaged, when by some miracle we get him engaged, he hangs on a loose rein, he hangs he hang he hangs. She engages him, as soon as he starts to hang, throws him away, does he carry, oh no, he just drops the head right on down, and hangs on what rein she gave him, put him on a belt buckle, he will drop down to the ground, kick him forward...forward, he is lazy. We love him dearly, but we tease him routinely he is the only Irish we know that would make a wonderful western pleasure horse.

Transitiions, lunging, we have tried most everything, and in a year, of trying to be consistant in work outs, transitions, poles, he still hangs. She rides him in a loose ring snaffle, has tried a bouchet, rides him in a mylar combo for x/c, which prevents him from hanging or inverting to some degree.

He is currently doing Preliminary level events. Now, for some positives, he likes lateral movements, not as heavy that way...go figure. He will score 8's on most anything lateral, and then as soon as we try to do a circle, or go straight, guess what happens? Yup, heavy heavy heavy.

Canter is about the only gait he doesn't hang terribly in. He has a gorgeous canter....and jumping, thankfully, he uses that..

ANY suggestions? She works with a trainer, actually a couple, and the two who have been on the horse are about as frustrated as she is. One has suggested a double bridle, so that when he starts t get heavy, she immediately can fix it with minimum fuss, another says he needs to learn to go forward much better first...UGH..THANKS SO MUCH ALL.
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

Reschool the half halt.

Here's how-

Everytime he starts to hang, slow him right down to a halt. Go forward again, until he starts to hang, then bring him right down to a halt. Repeat over and over until you get more and more strides before he starts to hang. Eventually, you should be able to just bring him back in a half halt instead of a full halt and he will stop hanging.

It will take quite a long time and a lot of patience.
    Good luck.
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

Since he seems to like doing lateral work and doesn't hang much while doing so, I would suggest you concentrate doing lateral work!!!

Actually, shoulder-in, haunches-in, leg yields, half-pass are really good, if not the best!, to help self carriage. Just work on that. On straight lines, on circle...all the time.

And even in the warm up or at all time, I would encourage you to work this horse in a shoulder fore position at ALL time.

And yes, he will probably need to learn to go a bit more forward in order to carry himself properly and not use your daughter hands/arms/shoulders as a head rest! When he hangs, push him forward and then practice your half halts, like Ecletic horseman said.

Since you are doing Prelim with him, I must believe that he is physically built for the job and muscled up for it? Tired or weaker horses, no matter how big they are, will lean on the bit as a result.
      ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
      I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
      HORSING mobile training app

Comment

My mare is very much like this, only shorter and with a higher-set neck. She LOVES to lean. It's easier for her not have to carry herself.

Here's what has helped.

First, fix the downhill build. I use Epona shoes (since they are about the thickest you can get), and Vibram pads. It adds about 3/4 of an inch in front. It makes a HUGE difference. The mare goes from dumpy downhill-QH to nice suspension and collection (working 2nd/3rd). Absolutely feels like a different horse.

Then get a pair of web reins, and no gloves for the rider. That will give you a much better feel of when he starts to lean. You also can't hold back against him.

The best bit I have found for my mare to prevent the leaning is a copper JP oval loose ring. It's nice and fat, so doesn't cut into the tongue as much (because with this mare, that makes things worse). She prefers a mullen, but she also likes to lean more on the mullen.

And then every time the horse leans, you go back to the lateral work, wiggle the inside rein, lift the hands up and forward, whatever you can do to stop the leaning. With my mare, putting my hands up and forward helps a ton. Think saddleseat up and forward. She suddenly softens, lifts her back, engages, and is nice. I also do some neck stretches from the saddle after a nice walk warmup, so her neck is more supple. Really concentrate on CORRECT bending.

Now, I did have to put my mare in a double for a week or two to break the cycle of leaning. But once she stopped leaning so badly, and I could ride off just the snaffle rein, she went back into the snaffle. I have also ridden in a double before, and she has been ridden in one occasionally too.

Comment

• Original Poster

He could probably lift a mack truck....we had him fit enough that he won a most fit horse award, and you know how tough that is with an irish who has a core temp one degree higher than most? And he still hung. He just thinks his head is too big for him to have to carry it by himself....I am absolutely POSITIVE he thinks we are nuts, and that it is so much easier to be lazy and let us do the work...but he has got an absolutely WONDERFUL attitude about everything else...silly horses. Have passed on the tips so far. And we do tend to keep him doing lateral. THAT way he doesn't wear her totally out, but will keep working at that, and will sure give the reteaching half-halt a try as well.
          www.mmceventing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
            Reschool the half halt.

Here's how-

Everytime he starts to hang, slow him right down to a halt. Go forward again, until he starts to hang, then bring him right down to a halt. Repeat over and over until you get more and more strides before he starts to hang. Eventually, you should be able to just bring him back in a half halt instead of a full halt and he will stop hanging.

It will take quite a long time and a lot of patience.
            Good luck.
            I just learned a "new to me" exercise from one of the trainers I work with. My horse likes to hang /pull at the trot and canter. For the trot when my horse starts to pull I bring him to a very collected walk make him walk this way for a few strides and ask for trot again. If he pulls I go back to the collected walk, I do this a couple of times and then go back to trotting if he pulls again I think and ask for the collected walk without actually going back to the walk.

Very much the same as Eclectic Horseman's exercise in either case you are basically schooling the half halt. The Trainer that I work with believes that these issues need to be dealt with going forward at all times, other trainers believe that the halt done properly is still forward and that the halt give the rider an opportunity to regroup. I think you should use the method that worked best for the horse. Try both and see what gets better results.

The trouble in many cases of the horse hanging / pulling in my opinion is the strength of the rider and their ability to hold the horse. In essence the rider by being able to hold is giving the horse the resistance it needs to hang on the forehand and push through the aids.

My issue is that at times I try to fix this issue with strength, when a pulling or hanging issue is something that takes more of a finesse. Schooling the half-halt by either method stated above is a matter of finesse once you get to the part where you are asking for a halt / slowdown while keeping rhythm and not breaking gate is all feel and finesse. You have to have enough leg but not to much, and enough hand to balance it all out.

None of the exercises will work over night, but a horse that understands a half-halt will be a easier horse to ride. Also the rider will have the ability to rebalance the horse at any time when needed that will build the horses confidence and readability.
            Last edited by ginger708; Jan. 13, 2011, 10:51 AM. Reason: Spelling
            Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
            -Auntie Mame

Comment

Originally posted by ginger708 View Post
              The trouble in many cases of the horse hanging / pulling in my opinion is the strength of the rider and their ability to hold the horse. In essence the rider by being able to hold is giving the horse the resistance it needs to hang on the forehand and push through the aids.

My issue is that at times I try to fix this issue with strength, when a pulling or hanging issue is something that takes more of a finesse. Schooling the half-halt by either method stated above is a matter of finesse once you get to the part where you are asking for a halt / slowdown while keeping rhythm and not breaking gate is all feel and finesse. You have to have enough leg but not to much, and enough hand to balance it all out.
              yes, yes, yes. I am pretty darned strong in my biceps, and I do tend to pull. That's why lifting the hands helps so much, because you can't pull like that. Unplant them from the withers!

Also, riding a horse who stops if you pull will help too

Comment

No suggestions, but it may be an Irish horse thing... we have one in the barn who is a "hanger" as well...!
                "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Comment

I got a great piece of advice here about a heavy-headed hanger, which I will pass on in appreciation of the person who advised me I think it was Beasmom. Thanks!

Drop his head and drive him forward. The INSTANT he gets heavy, make him completely carry his own head. You daughter sounds like me, big and strong, probably not aware of quite how strong she is holding the rein (because it doesn't tire her as much as it would someone smaller and less strong.) My draft mare made me carry her head for her ALL THE DARN TIME. I even succumbed to pressure to bit her up, using a ridiculous high ported Kimberwicke thing...I think she laughed. I realized my folly and switched back to the French Link Dee and worked on disciplining myself to INSTANTLY drop her head when I felt the slightest pressure.

I also agree with mixing up transitions up and down, as well as quickly going to lateral work. A great exercise that I like is 20m circle at A/C, start a second circle but open it up, then take the quarter line, leg yield to the wall before the midway point, half halt in the corner, then start again at the other end. I hope I explained that right, my instructor calls it out for me usually
                  Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Comment

No I believe it is a horse and rider thing, mine is a basically a Hanoverian with some Trakhenher and Thoroughbred tossed into the mix. Ever so slightly downhill but very proportionate over all. When I take the time to concentrate and correct the problem he is the Aces. If I let myself go back to old habits he is a freight train with no conductor. Some horses no matter what breed are just going to need more guidance than others. Just like people, horses have different personalities and work habits.
                    -Auntie Mame

Comment

a few things that may help
                      a horse physically cannot hang on the bit if it is working correctly off it's hindquarters. even in stretching reaching they will be light in the hand when working off the hind.
                      so, that said, anytime this horse hangs he's not working his hiney.
                      The reason why he's better in lateral is because lateral suppleness encourages longitudinal suppleness. it's one of the best ways to warm a horse up. use that lateral to your advantage.

I've found horses get heavy for 4 reasons
                      1. they are bored
                      2. they are tired
                      3. they are sore
                      4. they are confused

by reschooling the half halt and doing lots of transitions (seriously, go watch the GM horsemanship clinic... he's schooling dressage warmups when not jumping) you will be able to scratch 1 and 4 off the list. if the problem persists it's 2 or 3.
                      www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                      chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

Just wanted to pipe in and say I'm really appreciating this thread! If you switch the horse in the OP to a TBx who's actually built slightly uphill, it would be my pony to a T. I'll be looking into the suggested exercises as well. I'm relieved to hear I'm not the only one experiencing this!
                        "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Comment

I agree with Petstorejunkie the more correct a horse works the less forehand stuff will be going on. However for the horse to be correct the riders have to be correct. And unfortunately half-halt like sitting trot can be different from horse to horse. Also the horse has to learn what half-halt means.

So for a while you may have a horse that has to be half-halted every two or three strides. I think this is where Dressage riders get a bad reputation of micromanaging their horses. But this may be what it takes for the light-bulb to turn on in the horse but once they get it the half-halt is a great tool.

The other problem is that many trainers and riders that give advice will just yell half-halt or shoulder in or leg yield without completely explaining how to do these movements or give instruction and fail to make adjustments to the instruction to adapt to the individual horses needs.

I think for the OP repetition of half-halt training and lateral movements will be the answer here. Don't be afraid to half-halt at every stride if needed for a while. This type of riding is much harder on us than it is for the horse. I believe for us as riders sometimes we get lost in the pleasure of being on top of the horse and forget to give guidance until there is a problem that has to be addressed right away and then we as the rider are prone to make the wrong decision. Or at least that is how it works for me.

In reality for me I know that as soon as I feel a slight shift in my horses balance I should be right on top of it with a half-halt or shoulder fore. However is usually miss that and make the adjustment when my horse is completely on the forehand. I know that my New Years resolution is to be way more present in my ride and not to get so distracted.
                          -Auntie Mame

Comment

• Original Poster

Just got in. So I took some of the suggestions, and had her get on. We worked first on the half-halt to halt and back to walk, back and forth. She and I discovered....she lets him pull when she asks him to halt, and lets him take those few extra steps...bad girl. I put a halt to that...lol, play on words here. Then we went into more of a trot, to walk working with half halt. He started getting lighter....Then he got inverted...OKay buddy oh, let me get on him. Now please, I am 5'4", WAY too heavy to be on a horse, NO leg, in my daughter's VERY TINY dressage saddle...won't discuss that...awful site.

BUT I found out a few things...Yup, if I stay on top of the half halt, he doesn't pull...HMMM...is it a nagging thing we got going on here...

So I worked him about half hour, and then put her back on....We had 3 nice large, circles, completely in self-carriage. Not once thinking he could hang. When he hung, even for a second, I did a quick uplife, and put him right back into forward again. We put him away. It's going to be a process, cause she is very strong, and I don't think realizes as easiuly as I do, when he is starting to pull. He has gotten so use to using her for a headrest, it's not going to be easy to rememedy. THANK YOU ALL. The suggestions are wonderful.
                            www.mmceventing.com

Comment

Keep your lateral work interesting and challenging for both the horse and rider.
                              Do not do only 60 meters of lateral (S.I., H.I., Renvers,...). Do S.I for 5 strides, then reverse S.I for 10 strides, H.I. for 10 strides and back to S.I.
                              Change it all the time.
                              S.I down center line to 8-10 center opposite to the S.I and finished with H.P. of new bend.
                              Be creative, think of your own things to do in all gaits.
                              As well the half halt to keep hind end engaged and lessen the hanging front end.

Comment

Originally posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
                                a few things that may help
                                a horse physically cannot hang on the bit if it is working correctly off it's hindquarters. even in stretching reaching they will be light in the hand when working off the hind.
                                so, that said, anytime this horse hangs he's not working his hiney.

I agree with this with one very important distinction. The horse may be working his hind quarters, but it's all pushing power rather than carrying power.

It takes true engagement to make a horse carry his weight behind, instead of using the riders hands as a fifth leg. And I strongly suspect that this horse is not truly engaged when you think he is. That's why he's lighter in lateral work. In lateral work you ARE getting increased engagement. So keep him busy with lots of lateral work interspersed into his other work, and read THIS

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com
                                http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com

Comment

Originally posted by gold2012 View Post
                                  We have an 8 y.o. Irish Horse who is built level at best. He hs the typical Irish head, long neck that joins low into his chest. He is short coupled, and big. 17.1 and somewhat heavy, though certainly not extreme.

My daughter is 5'10", weighs about 140 and has ridden for 20 years now. She is extremely STRONG, freakishly so. She has very good abs, legs. She has a tall seat.

I have worked with dressage horses, coaches, trainers and students many decades, and most of the training tips I give her, don't seem to be doing what we need them to do.

The horse hangs. He hangs when he is engaged, when by some miracle we get him engaged, he hangs on a loose rein, he hangs he hang he hangs. She engages him, as soon as he starts to hang, throws him away, does he carry, oh no, he just drops the head right on down, and hangs on what rein she gave him, put him on a belt buckle, he will drop down to the ground, kick him forward...forward, he is lazy. We love him dearly, but we tease him routinely he is the only Irish we know that would make a wonderful western pleasure horse.

Transitiions, lunging, we have tried most everything, and in a year, of trying to be consistant in work outs, transitions, poles, he still hangs. She rides him in a loose ring snaffle, has tried a bouchet, rides him in a mylar combo for x/c, which prevents him from hanging or inverting to some degree.

He is currently doing Preliminary level events. Now, for some positives, he likes lateral movements, not as heavy that way...go figure. He will score 8's on most anything lateral, and then as soon as we try to do a circle, or go straight, guess what happens? Yup, heavy heavy heavy.

Canter is about the only gait he doesn't hang terribly in. He has a gorgeous canter....and jumping, thankfully, he uses that..

ANY suggestions? She works with a trainer, actually a couple, and the two who have been on the horse are about as frustrated as she is. One has suggested a double bridle, so that when he starts t get heavy, she immediately can fix it with minimum fuss, another says he needs to learn to go forward much better first...UGH..THANKS SO MUCH ALL.
                                  It takes two to pull, so personally, I would release all contact for awhile and go back to basics if the half-halt is not working. It is easy to become engaged in that tug-of-war and you don't even notice you're participating in a vicious circle until your arms are sore! With all contact dropped, bump with your hands (just simply by closing them, not by moving them) and give him a light push with your legs for forward impulsion when he gets too low but overall, do not worry about his head (well, to that extent obviously). You don't ride the head and it will come up as a result of his engagement. Then put him through various exercises that encourage self-carriage (circular work, transitions, poles, hills, lateral, etc etc). Next step would be to maintain light light contact whereby he cannot pull, and focus on exercises that force him to work beneath himself - lateral work, ground poles, hills, transitions, circular patterns, etc. Progressive Schooling Exercises for Dressage & Jumping (Islay Auty). Work through the Training Scale, essentially.

We've got an OTTB like this - sounds conformationally (and temperament-wise) very much like your Irish, and used to lean on your hands. In fact, you took away your hands and he'd flounder about as if he didn't know where to put his feet I told him I wasn't there to tell him where to put his feet. That was HIS job He is no longer pulling and is now carrying himself beautifully, under two novices no less, using the above such exercises.

ETA: just read all the posts above mine, including the OP's update - super progress! I think the key is definitely staying on top of it, and especially lateral work. With the above-mentioned horse, whenever I did lateral work with him he would lift BEAUTIFULLY, sit back, and extend his front end. It is amazing to feel So, more lateral work. If the half-halts work on him when you stay consistent, then maybe you don't have to go back and work on the foundation, you just have to stay consistent with what you are doing!!

Furthering Eclectic's suggestion (tons of great suggestions here btw), if you make your horse a "hovercraft", he can't lean, because he is more engaged, ready for your next request Lots of transitions between gaits (trot to halt, halt to trot or canter, etc etc), including back-up, change in direction (turns on the hind is what I would use), etc. I even do western rollbacks (but from a dressage angle) with my primary OTTB (not the one above) to get him sitting back more and more "hovercraft" and ready to respond to my next request.

PS. I never ride in gloves either, just for the simple fact that I feel I have a touch better feel and awareness without them. That is just my personal observation with myself however, others claim they have the same feel and awareness, but it is something to keep in mind. The other thing to keep in mind is a conscious awareness of softness. If you do not keep on top of yourself about it, it stays unconscious and you might be apt to be dragged into the vicious cycle that is leaning/pulling.
                                  Last edited by naturalequus; Jan. 13, 2011, 05:07 PM.
                                  ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
                                  ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

Originally posted by gold2012 View Post
                                    ...It's going to be a process, cause she is very strong, and I don't think realizes as easiuly as I do, when he is starting to pull. ...
                                    This is where the web reins and no gloves helped me. It gave me a bit more awareness of when the mare started to pull. Also, if she's finding herself constantly adjusting her reins shorter (as he pulls them out of her hands), have her use that as a reminder to soften.

Comment

Originally posted by Hampton Bay View Post
                                      This is where the web reins and no gloves helped me. It gave me a bit more awareness of when the mare started to pull. Also, if she's finding herself constantly adjusting her reins shorter (as he pulls them out of her hands), have her use that as a reminder to soften.
                                      Actually, pulling the reins out of the hands is a separate but related problem. When the horse is able to lengthen the rein on his own, this is positive reinforcement of his leaning habit, and he will keep trying to get more rein.

But the solution really is to get more bend in the elbow and get the elbow back directly over the hip. In that way, the horse pulls the whole arm forward and cannot lengthen the rein. My guess is that she is riding with her elbows in front of her body without a sufficient bend in them. She needs to learn to carry her hands and keep her elbows close by her side over her hips so that the horse cannot pull the reins through her fingers.
                                      "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

Originally posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
                                        Actually, pulling the reins out of the hands is a separate but related problem. When the horse is able to lengthen the rein on his own, this is positive reinforcement of his leaning habit, and he will keep trying to get more rein.

But the solution really is to get more bend in the elbow and get the elbow back directly over the hip. In that way, the horse pulls the whole arm forward and cannot lengthen the rein. My guess is that she is riding with her elbows in front of her body without a sufficient bend in them. She needs to learn to carry her hands and keep her elbows close by her side over her hips so that the horse cannot pull the reins through her fingers.
                                        Oh in one that really pulls, they very well can pull the reins through your fingers, slowly. My hands just aren't strong enough to hold the reins tight enough to keep the reins from slowly inching through my fingers when the mare really gets to pulling.

Comment

Working...
                                        X