• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Speak to me of... motorcycle turns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speak to me of... motorcycle turns

I love to watch sales videos and one thing that I keep seeing over and over is motorcycle turns in horses that are supposedly dressage trained.
    Am I expecting too much? Is it an epidemic?
    "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Oh, I thought you wanted training tips for the perfect motorcycle turn. I've got those down pat.
    http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

link to an example
      ?
      www.destinationconsensusequus.com
      chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
        link to an example
        ?
        I would but...
        I wouldn't want to post a link someone else's video, especially since the discussion would likely be uncomplimentary.

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Comment

Originally posted by Stacie View Post
          I love to watch sales videos and one thing that I keep seeing over and over is motorcycle turns in horses that are supposedly dressage trained.
          I attended an UL clinic this fall, riders with aspirations to PSG next year,other riders unsuccessfully working on canter pirouettes.
          These riders were frequently reminded, to use their outside legs, at even essentially basic work such as S/I. Without the outside wall, and even with it, these riders were not maintaining bend.

So motorcycle turns are not an epidemic, but there do seem to be a lot of riders entirely unaware of where and how to use their bodies.
          Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

I say this as someone who has a LOT of flaws I'm working on fixing, and certainly doesn't know a lot.

But yeah, I see them all over. I've learned that people who have been riding for years seem to be unable to feel a motorcycle turn often, too. I'm not sure I understand how that even happens.

I think I still prefer that to the waterskiing I see everywhere, though.

(Me? I just can't keep consistent contact, still tend to not sit up straight enough, look down too often...and lots more.)
            Originally posted by Silverbridge
            If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

One of my favorite things to say to myself while I ride is "Be the bus." Buses do not have that flexibility to turn like a motorcycle does, and when I feel my front end start to go off on its own, I chant that phrase, and if I don't catch myself in time, I do the next.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by netg View Post
                (Me? I just can't keep consistent contact, still tend to not sit up straight enough, look down too often...and lots more.)
                Seems like most of the pictures of dressage riders in competition have the rider looking down.

Edited to add: Shows how hard it is to not do it!
                Last edited by Stacie; Jan. 23, 2011, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Yeah, isn't that bad! All those people riding so badly...wasting trainers' time by having them repeating over and over how they should correctly ride...
                  Don't understand why such bad riders still take lessons...

And sale videos? Why don't buy horses only from really really good top riders? We then wouldn't have to deal with crappy riders who tries their best but are sooo not meetin the riding skills expectations from buyers.

People do videos to sell their horses, not their riding skills. Unless you were looking for a new trainer?
                  At least if you had said, the video was bad because it was shaky or dark or far away view....but bad riders?!? Who really gives a s$@"?

People take lessons to get better and improve their skills and knowledge.
                  We should be happy people take lessons!!! And try their best!!! They might never become top riders with top seat, hands and legs but Hey! They are taking good lessons and do their best!
                  Unless the people in the clinic weren't trying AT ALL to do whatever the trainer was saying....but still...

My idea? I do my best and don't care about others' expectation. Nor do I really care about where others are in their own learning process. Yeah I can ackowledge some are really bad riders and maybe should go down a level but who am I to tell them? And they are not my trainer... So except from bad visual content, I don't care!
                  ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
                  I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
                  HORSING mobile training app

Comment

The result of inadequate teachers/trainers, who can't teach the outside aids effectively.
                    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Never heard of this before. Sounds rather silly.

What the heck is a "motorcycle turn" in relationship to horses? What is a "motorcycle turn" in relationship to motorcycles, anyway?

Horses have 4 legs, and are living creatures. Motorcycles have 2 wheels, and are machines. No relationship between the two, except that people sit on both of them.

Please explain.

Comment

I'd like to know too. I'm not a dressage rider, so I'm not aware of the phrase. But if I put 'motorcycle turn', and 'be the bus' together, I'm guessing that it means the neck is bent in the first, and the horse is straighter in the second?

Comment

A motorcycle leans into a turn, like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSWVH...eature=related

So a "motorcycle turn" is a horse leaning into a turn, no bend, not balanced and upright, no self-carriage.

Drives me nuts too, OP.
                          bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
                          free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Comment

I would but...
                            I wouldn't want to post a link someone else's video, especially since the discussion would likely be uncomplimentary.
                            would you pm to me???

Tamara in TN
                            Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
                            I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

Originally posted by Fantastic View Post
                              Never heard of this before. Sounds rather silly.

What the heck is a "motorcycle turn" in relationship to horses? What is a "motorcycle turn" in relationship to motorcycles, anyway?

Horses have 4 legs, and are living creatures. Motorcycles have 2 wheels, and are machines. No relationship between the two, except that people sit on both of them.

Please explain.
                              Horse leaning in to the turn.
                              ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Seems like most of the pictures of dressage riders in competition have the rider looking down.
                                Ha, ha! Only in America, right?

Yep, as Rubyfree said "drives me nuts, OP"; I'd have to agree. Sounds really silly.

I a more correct way of saying it is that the horse is not on the outside rein (rider not riding inside leg to outside rein) though the turn, the horse is dropping the inside shoulder, and maybe even has the haunches to the inside?

Comment

to me its horses falling into/over their shoulder when they turn, many times the rider leans in too. So kinda turning shoulder first instead of nose first. So naturally to fix you need to correct the bend and follow the nose around the arc. For some people with horses that "fall in" alot it helps to start the fix by raising the inside hand to lift the shoulder and apply more outside leg to move the ribcage and hip forward toward that shoulder... if that makes any sense. Also LOTS of serpentines and squiggly lines are good practice once you are aware of what the shoulders are doing.
                                  I can explain it TO you,but I can't understand it FOR you

Comment

so don't watch those videos, watch the videos of WEG/PANAMS/CDI***etc

Comment

@Mickeydoodle :
                                      Seems no one is good enough.
                                      ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
                                      I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
                                      HORSING mobile training app

Comment

• Original Poster

To be considered as working or competing at a certain level, maintaining the bend on the circles required for that level would seem to be a minimal requirement. Which is why I'm stunned by all the sales videos of horses claimed to be competing at first who can't hold a bend on a 20 meter circle. I am not inclined to place blame on horse or rider, I was just curious as to how common this is, as I seem to be seeing it all over in the sales videos. To me, it seems a basic requirement, which is why I wondered whether I was just expecting too much.
                                        I think it's rather sad if all these people think they are working at first and are still struggling with basics and either do not know it or live in denial about it. Because you know they are out there on their horses trying to ride them as best they can and there is a disconnect somewhere. Or worse, the sales videos are for trainer owned horses that are stiff as a board being misrepresented.

Comment

Working...
                                        X