• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dressage saddles for VERY short backed horses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dressage saddles for VERY short backed horses

I have a horse with a VERY short back and a very big shoulder. Since no saddle seems to fit my horse, I am now faced with purchasing a custom saddle. Before I take the plunge financially I wanted to reach out and see if anyone had ever experienced anything similar? What saddle did you find that fit your horse?

Thanks!

We must have twin horses. Mine is also very short backed with big shoulders. He was constantly back sore even with "custom fittings" until I finally went custom all the way and bought a Trilogy Verago. I cannot stress enough, however, that in addition to having the right saddle, you have to have a good saddle fitter.
    Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and sexual predator! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

Comment

A friend has had a ton of luck with the Schleese Wave for her long leg and small, short-backed horse. She bought hers used and then had it flocked to fit the horse.

Comment

I went with a custom Frank Bains for my short backed, big shouldered gelding. Compared to other custom saddles they were quite affordable, and addressed my saddle fit concerns (for both me and my horse).

Karen
        Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

• Original Poster

I went with a custom Frank Bains for my short backed, big shouldered gelding. Compared to other custom saddles they were quite affordable, and addressed my saddle fit concerns (for both me and my horse).
          If you do not mind me asking - how much does a Frank Baines saddle cost?

Comment

I am currently awaiting my customized Hastilow Concept dressage saddle. Mr Hastilow is modifying his standard design to put in an upswept rear panel with small gussets, short flaps, and wither gussets in the front to try to stabilize the saddle from slipping forward onto her shoulder and the panels are going to be serge to be more forgiving on her back. It is on a broadback tree to accomodate my mares very flat back. I have high hopes for this as the trial saddle has made a big difference in how my mare goes. This one is $2600.

Comment

Thornhill Danube for short back and big shoulder

My 15 2 Arabian boy and I are doing great with our Thornhill Danube. He has a wither and a short, curvy back, as well as a long sloping shoulder and big barrel, so he's not the easiest to fit. The panels (whatever they are called - ones coming along the front coming down the shoulder) on the shoulder are half, so his shoulder has more room to move and the area around the wither is very padded. I found mine on Ebay at half price, so $750+, so it was within the budget. It is a 17 1/2 width 34. I live in an area where there aren't many/any saddlefitters. I'm 5' 4" average weight, but with a long femur. An 18" probably would have been better for me as I feel a bit locked in, but my seat is comfy and I can post fine.

Comment

Black Country
                Humans don’t mind duress, in fact they thrive on it. What they mind is not feeling necessary. –Sebastian Junger

Comment

Originally posted by connieg10 View Post
                  If you do not mind me asking - how much does a Frank Baines saddle cost?
                  Frank Baines saddles are generally in the $2500-3000 range new. Used prices seem to vary quite a bit. I've seen used Baines from a little under $1000 to over $2000. They are excellent quality saddles. They fit a variety of horses and balance the rider well.

Comment

I actually have a Stubben Genesis for the short backed pony. The only difference is that pony does not have a large shoulder hes broad with a curvy back, yes but not so much across the shoulders. Hes in an XW which is a 34, I know custom Stubbens can come wider but off the shelf 34 is as wide as you can get.

I tired a bunch of saddles on him and a lot of the actually touched his loin area, and they were 17 inch seats. My Stubben is an 18 and doesn't come near to touching his loin. The only other ones that were short enough were older with more upswept panels.

The other short back horse that comes into the barn for training has a custom Frank Baines, and she has a HUGE shoulder. Super nice saddle I've never ridden in it only looked at it. Not my horse, and I only know what it is because it was recommended to me to try that brand, because I was looking for the same thing.
                    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

Comment

Ditto the Schleese Wave for my gelding's short saddle support area.
                      Carli
                      dressage. n, the passionate pursuit of perfection by the obsessively imperfect.

Comment

A lot of saddles can have an upswept panel...a good saddle fitter should be able to tell you if that will work for your boy at a more tolerable price than going full custom.
                        Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Comment

I was able to get a used Barnsby "Raven" on Ebay for $400 - perfect condition and it fits my 15 hh shortbacked Arabian perfectly. He has a large shoulder and mutton withers and a large barrell, so most saddles we tried came back way too far and sat on his kidneys, or pinched his shoulders. This one is a 17 1/2" seat and has a medium width tree. Fits us both fine - I was super lucky to catch the deal, for sure.
                          stained glass groupie
                          www.equiglas.com

Comment

My OTTB mare is the same!

I had my Schleese Wave shortened for @$1200 total (sent to Canada, etc.)

They shortened the weight bearing base both on the front panel, as well as, on the rear panels.

Comment

Originally posted by Carli View Post
                              Ditto the Schleese Wave for my gelding's short saddle support area.
                              Yes! Love the saddle.

Comment

you need a saddle with upswept panels. Also, (and it took me years to figure this out with my big shoulder/short back guy) it really helps the saddle fit better when you move the saddle back a bit. I know that seems like it would make a shortbacked horse sore, but its just the opposite. When the shoulder hits the saddle every step it actually sends more pressure to the back of the saddle and can make the horse sore through the loins area.

Also, remember to always give your horse time to adjust to a new saddle even when custom fitted. It's like having one pair of shoes you wear and work out in everyday and then switching to a new pair all at once. Even when the new pair fits better, it still makes your feet sore. So this means using a new saddle for 20 mins the first day and going up from there. Now 3 hour trail rides the first week Better to prevent soreness when we can than to try and fix it later.

Best of luck. My horse goes great in a devoucoux placed a full hand behind the shoulder. Only saddle he doesn't get sore in.

Comment

I bought a black country that had been built as a concept saddle for another cother. It was designed for big shoulders and a wide flat short back. Incredible fit and an amazing balanced, comfortable ride (the seat is double padded). My daughter was watching me ride a lightly backed youngster and she commented on how the saddle didn't interfere with the horse at all. I believe the tree is based on the BC Celeste, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, the saddle was designed by by Patti Merli (843) 810-2485 who is an independent saddle fitter who works all along the east coast.
                                  Last edited by Stacie; Jan. 8, 2011, 03:29 PM.
                                  "The mighty oak is a nut who stood its ground"

"...you'll never win Olympic gold by shaking a carrot stick at a warmblood..." see u at x

Comment

My Frank Baines cost me about $2800.00 Canadian. I think the price would be quite dependent on the exchange rate with the UK though, so not sure what it would come to now, as I think the exchange rate may be better now than it was.
                                    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

Ditto the Schleese Wave-shorter tree with swept back points to accommodate the massive shoulder...it is however a very heavy saddle and didnt fit me well with my shorter thigh and its massive knee rolls--the deep seat was lovely though.

I have also had remarkable success fitting my massive shouldered flatter/wider backed pony with a Devoucoux Makila.
                                      Redbud Ranch
                                      Check us out on FB

Comment

County.
                                        Kelly
                                        It is rare to see a rider who is truly passionate about the horse and his training, taking a profound interest in dressage with self-abnegation, and making this extraordinarily subtle work one of the dominant motivations of his life.\"

Comment

Working...
                                        X