• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Lower leg on? or Off?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower leg on? or Off?

So I have an instructor (3rd level) who I ride with approx once or twice in 3 or 4 months. So basically hardly ever and she insists that the lower leg be against the horse, on and active almost every stride.

I have another instructor (PSG rider) who rides with and instructs that the lower leg is basically off except when giving an aid. The aid is given and the leg is taken back off. (we are only talking about basic movements here not upper school movements)

We are all in agreement that the knees be on (in contact) at all times.

I personally agree with the second trainer that the lower leg should be off unless it's being used. So basically just hanging there lightly brushing the side of the horse.

I tried to explain how I felt to trainer one and she basically laughs at me telling me that her lower leg (and the LL of upper level riders) is on and active 99% of the time.

To me this just sounds like nagging. I of of the school of give and aid and it's the horses responsibility to maintain without constant reminders.

So what do you believe and if I'm correct, is there a way to explain this to trainer one so that she will see where I'm coming from? She is also a friend so I don't want to just stop riding with her just because of this disagreement.

Who know's maybe I'm wrong.
    Cowgirl Up!

Lower leg mostly off. If you are riding correctly in balance with the horse, the amount that a leg is on or off the horse changes throughout the stride. It is the results of the movement when your leg hangs correctly from your hip socket. It is not a deliberate on/off sort of thing unless the horse needs more correction for straightness or impulsion. Even then, rather than thinking about using your leg, you should be thinking about using the leverage of your stirrup on that side which needs the aid.

Comment

Off. For clarity when you do use it.
      “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
      ? Albert Einstein

Comment

Hanging quietly on the horse's side but not "in use" unless required. If the leg is totally off the horse, as in no contact at all, aids can be a bit abrupt as the leg sort of surprises the horse when it comes into contact. I think you're right in comparing leg in use all the time, with nagging.
        "A babbler amongst the followers of a pack of hounds is just as great an evil as a babbler in the pack" The Complete Foxhunter 1908

Comment

Lower leg draped on the sides, waiting at any moment to jump in and communicate. Then back to minding its own business - which is to help balance the rest of your body.

Good luck with that discussion.

Comment

I have aways thought that lower leg on all the time is yelling at the horse and hardly helps your horse going from a light leg. Yes, my legs rest against my horses sides - cause that's where it is natural and comfortable for us both - but they are only "on" and active when required to reinforce a seat aid or in a transition or similar. I train with a rider at GP and with her trainer when she is down.

If you rode with your leg on on my mare, she would be still galloping now. She likes to know that you are there and wanting to communicate with her but do it quietly.

Comment

Anne Kursinski, in her _Riding and Jumping Clinic_, advises this: "To get an idea of the amount of pressure your calf should exert at any time when you're not closing it for a specific purpose, rest your hand on your thigh. Just the weight of the hand keeps it on the leg: that's the pressure you want--no more" (12; emphasis added).

So, perhaps rather than talking about the leg being "on" or "off," you could have the conversation about the leg being "active" or not. As Lendon Gray argues in _Lessons with Lendon_, "when you put your leg on, he immediately goes forward. He keeps going, without any nagging or thumping, until he hears otherwise from you" (12). Although she uses the word "on," here, I hear "active." You ask with the leg, and then it may remain resting on the horse (as per Kursinski's description), but it isn't "asking" or "nagging" or "thumping," until--of course--you want to ask the horse to do something else, or if the horse doesn't respond to your original request.

Don't know if that helps or not---

Comment

I agree with MXL -- I think "on" or "off" may not be the best terms to use.

The PSG trainer is (more) correct... i.e., you don't want to nag your horse. You don't want to be driving your horse every stinking stride. You want your horse to maintain his own rhythm and forward movement without you, so that WHEN you put your leg on or give an aid with it... it is noticeable.

If your 3rd level trainer believes you should be driving the horse with your leg every stride, I think you need a new trainer.

But here's another possibility: A good rider's lower leg should neither be gripping, nor should it be swinging in the breeze. There is some appropriately soft level of contact between the leg and the horse. Especially the upper calf, as it provides the stability and base of the rider's seat so that he can independently move his/her seat as needed. I don't know if that explanation helps either... but that is how I think of it.

Comment

Originally posted by otterhound63 View Post
                  Hanging quietly on the horse's side but not "in use" unless required. If the leg is totally off the horse, as in no contact at all, aids can be a bit abrupt as the leg sort of surprises the horse when it comes into contact.
                  This is correct. On the horses side. They used to call it a "breathing leg" since it was softly against the horse's side and would go in and out with the horse's breath. Not restricting, nor pushed away, but rather always in soft, giving contact with the horse's sides.

When necessary, then it comes on more strongly. Or, if the horse is not listening, it also can come off and then back on (as if threatening to "box" them with your leg) to get more of a reaction and to get their attention.
                  "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

Comment

I have to agree with those that suggest the use of the prepositions "on" and "off" are rather confusing here. My trainer/instructor describes it that the leg should be in light contact, draped around the horses body (it helps me to have the mental image of literally opening my hips like a weird kind of door to get my seat bones down and then really letting my legs go down and then wrap around my horse's barrel gently in a supportive fashion- I am big into imagery- it really helps me even if its weird.) at all times as if you could start to go into a leg yield or ask for a bit more bend instantly without your horse being surprised by it. Not sure if that helps or not, but it has really helped me very much recently.
                    My blog:

RAWR

Comment

I definitely agree with the second PSG trainer. I would never have my leg actively pushing at every stride. That is a great way to tune the horse out and make them lazy to the leg.

Comment

Well, I agree with those that say "on" and "off" may not be the best terms.

If you want to see legs "off" check out saddle seat. I grew up riding saddle seat, and most rarely use a strong lower leg except to encourage forward and maybe on turns. Most equitation horses are taught to move mostly off of the voice and seat so that the leg can stay perfectly still and off from about the knee down (a trend I have always disliked).

I tended to use a bit more leg in saddle seat than the overly stiff eq riders, but it was usually more upper calf contact than full lower leg contact. Still, because you are not asking for more advanced and difficult movements like in dressage, you rarely require the variety of aids and their tiny nuances. Often seat and voice are enough and you keep your lower leg for those moments when you want a lot more forward.

For dressage, you generally want your leg against (or "on" haha) the horse's side (draped is a good word) but you don't want to be actively using it every stride - that creates a dead sided horse. It should be there for support though. With the intricate aids dressage requires, having your lower leg completely off makes that aid slower to react and can startle the horse if there's no contact then suddenly contact.

Also, lower leg contact can vary a bit between very tall and very short riders (and their horse's size). Tall thin men often have a different style of lower leg contact than short petite women.

I think it's similar to the type of contact you want in the bridle. In some disciplines (like western pleasure), the weight of the reins is enough contact. In dressage, you want a steady contact where you can feel the mouth and be right there to show the horse what you want. I think that's how the legs are too - always there but only active when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by otterhound63 View Post
                          Hanging quietly on the horse's side but not "in use" unless required. If the leg is totally off the horse, as in no contact at all, aids can be a bit abrupt as the leg sort of surprises the horse when it comes into contact. I think you're right in comparing leg in use all the time, with nagging.
                          Always there, but not always communicating.

I can walk down the street with my arm aound your waist. It's there. I want you to move faster, I push forward, hard or soft depending.
                          Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

My trainer always explained it as "active" or "passive". Those terms alway made the most sense to me. To me the term "off" mean't not touching.
                            Boyle Heights Kid 1998 16.1h OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
                            Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
                            "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

Comment

I think the point is not really on or off per se. If, The leg is 'draped' over the horse, so it IS in contact with the skin. That is not 'on' per se. IF the rider's heel is 'feathered' down (from hip to heel with lowered knee/straighter thigh as well as inside leg slightly closer to the girth and outside stretched down/back) then as the horse's belly swings r/l within a gait, the horse feels the leg. When the rider wants to ask something specifically then they can ask more with leg aid (which HAS to be timed with the gait--diagonal aid/lateral aid/or bilateral aids/), in terms of stretched down (bulks the calf more) and slightly touch more with ankle inward. In NO way should a useful leg be backward/upward with the heel be considered 'on' either.
                              I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

Certainly, the lower leg should not be so much off the horse's side that the rider is forced to grip with the knee and thigh for stillness of leg.

Comment

• Original Poster

It seems like were all on the same page so I can only assume there is some misunderstanding between myself and the first trainer. I really didn't get in to it with her 100% because I just thought it was insane to keep legs on and active the entire ride.

I guess I will revisit this with her and try to get clarification.
                                  Cowgirl Up!

Comment

Working...
                                  X