• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Problem with bit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with bit

My gelding is using an eggbutt french link snaffle. When I got him he was head tossing and I put him in a baucher french link, but I couldn't find one a 5 1/4" and the 5" was too small and the 5 1/2" was too big. I found an eggbutt french link 5 1/4" and we have been using that to a general satisfaction. He can go along without fussing. Much. I originally chose the baucher because he really needs a bit to be stable in his mouth and objects to alot of metal (mouth is small) and objects to alot of metal clanking and clacking around. The eggbutt is not too clanky. He is a horse which can open his mouth out on the trails to try to avoid the bit if he wants to run. On the trails I use a flash. I haven't been using a flash in the school because until now he seemed not to need it, and had been quiet. However, I am starting to ask him to move correctly consitently, and he can and does, but after a few minutes begins to object to the bit.

As we are progressing in his work and he is becoming stronger, and his topline is becoming stronger, I am asking him more and more to be "through" and to work with impulsion, requiring him to work from back to front. I am having a difficult time getting him to use the bit and stay on the bit consistently. He is fussing more and more, and I am really trying to be steady and quiet with my hands so that he can use the bit but the more he actually uses it correctly, the more he is fussing and tossing his head.

In my last lesson, my trainer stopped me and said "Wait, what is he doing with his tongue" as he is starting to loll his whole tongue out of his mouth, or, if he doesn't, she saw something odd. She opened his mouth and said he is curling his tongue all the way back in his mouth away from the bit.

Is this bit hurting his tongue (do bits do that) or what might be the mechanism here and what might be a solution?

Either my hands are bad, which they have never been before on horses, or he isnt' agreeing with this bit.

I know a reagular snaffle is way too nutcracker for him. He has a small jaw and looks like a low palate.

Any suggestions for a bit? He can be very strong outdoors, but right now I am thinking about his work in the school, and I am really stumped and don't know what I might do to start getting better performance from him which i know he is capable of but we seem to need something but I don't know what.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.
  • Original Poster

REally hping someone will comment or make an observation or suggestion.

Comment

Can't help with why your horse is acting this way but you can get french link baucher bits in 5.25 at Mary's Tack, http://www.marystack.com/aaaaaaaait.html

Comment

First, has your horse been checked properly by a vet for any teeth/mouth problem?

A steadier bit for your horse would be a full cheek snaffle with short keepers.
        I would try a thinner mouthpiece, curvier as well and try to find one with a 'peanut' or 'lozange' french link. I would try to put it slightly higher in your horse's mouth. Yes, ill fitted bits can cause harm.

Check for allergies. What type of metal is your bit made of?
        I would try to get a nickel and zinc free one. Does your horse salivate a lot or its mouth stay really dry?

Another thing, have you lunge him with side reins attached to the bit? How is your horse? If it doesn't toss his head, I would say you should consider having hands issues.
        Last edited by alibi_18; Dec. 23, 2010, 09:12 AM. Reason: might also be back pain and strenght issue
        ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
        I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
        HORSING mobile training app

Comment

Have you tried just a plain ol' loose ring snaffle? No french link, KK, or anything like that? Does the horse do it when lunged in side reins?

Comment

I could have written your post a few years ago, except instead of head tossing and tongue scrunching it was flying around like an inverted emu with his jaw clenched.
            My horse has a narrow bit seat, sensitive bars, a fat tongue, low palate and medium lips. He is now lovely in a dr. bristol attached correctly with the flat plate lying flat against his tongue. it IS dressage legal. Throw out all the negative BS you've heard about a dr. bristol and just try it. you may find if he likes extra stable you could use a full cheek with keepers.
            I've posted the original patent for the dr. bristol on COTH, so with some searching I'm sure you can find the proof this bit is not intended to be harsh or dig into a horse's mouth.
            www.destinationconsensusequus.com
            chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes, a bit when in side reiins - mostly he goes behind the vertical to avoid the bit. But he keeps trying for the bit, contacting it and ducking his head again, which is the same 'fussing' I experience on him.

I will have his teeth checked. They were floated last spring. I assume he needs them again.

This is a good thought:
              A steadier bit for your horse would be a full cheek snaffle with short keepers.
              I would try a thinner mouthpiece, curvier as well and try to find one with a 'peanut' or 'lozange' french link. I would try to put it slightly higher in your horse's mouth. Yes, ill fitted bits can cause harm.
              I will look for one of the curved snaffles which supposedly fit the conformation of the mouth better. I like the baucher better than the full cheeks, but the lozenge style french link might be good, plus the curved mouth. I will also try a curved mouth single link snaffle.

Also, I think a different metal would not be objectionable to him - he does salivate nicely when he works on the bit.

Coymakeral - thanks for that link. I will get the 5.25 french link baucher from there, that's great.

I think if I try the french link baucher, the curved snaffle and the curved french link with a lozenge thing, and different metal, I might find what will work for him.

Comment

The issues make me think he has a low palate, or giant togue, so he is trying to give the bit more room. The Baucher or a KK ultra may be the best to try to give his palate more room.
                Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

Sounds like the snaffle joints may be hurting his tongue. Have you considered a mullen mouth?

Comment

Originally posted by Coffee View Post
                    Sounds like the snaffle joints may be hurting his tongue. Have you considered a mullen mouth?
                    That is what I was thinking. I have a HS German Silver mullen with a wide low port that has loose rings that I used in a fussy boy to add stability. I bought it at a used tack sale thinking it would be a good bit to transition to a weymouth and ended up using it for a horse that wouldn't take contact. As he got steady and took contact I moved to a KK French link but with egg butts. He likes it and is now reliable in the hand.

Sadly, I looked up the mullen mouth that I have and it is at Bit of Britain for almost $200. Yipes. Thank god for used tack sales! I got it for $20, they had no clue what it was.
                    bad decisions make good stories

Comment

My 10-yr-old TB can have a similar reaction. One thing that he really likes is to have his poll massaged. Can't always tell if it transfers to a more comfortable relationship with the bit, but he has become a lot more comfortable overall, and it aids our relationship for him to know I provide for his needs.

I massage him around the boney projection between the ears, as well as around the ears and the upper neck -- wherever he seems to enjoy. Do it for several days in a row, or until he seems not so interested. You can also massage around the TMJ, altho my horse hasn't always seemed so interested in that.

My horse has braced against the bit since always -- he came that way to me -- but he's improved considerably. I think all that bracing (+ bad teeth, see below) has caused him to be sensitive/painful in the poll area, and I can tell when he needs attn. there b/c he doesn't want to be bridled.

Interestingly, he's proving to need his teeth done 2x/year (got him about a year ago). He came with teeth in lousy condition and he had feet that were poorly trimmed. He looks so much better.

I ride him in a French link loose ring. Stupid question: don't all french links have a peanut shaped lozenge in the middle?

Comment

Originally posted by cyberbay View Post
                        I ride him in a French link loose ring. Stupid question: don't all french links have a peanut shaped lozenge in the middle?
                        Not stupid question! But the answer is no.

First it was only like that:
                        http://www.horsetackinternational.co...e-ring-bit.jpg

Peanut
                        http://www.mikmar.com/images/product...ts/bradoon.jpg

Lozenge
                        http://www.mikmar.com/images/product...ring-ergom.jpg

Hey, that could be a good bit for you:
                        http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...VQMb2cW6oOPNpj

Those are NOT french link bits but can looks like.

Roller
                        http://www.mikmar.com/images/product...ing-french.jpg

Ball (or berry)(or waterford link)
                        http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...l_link_bit.jpg

Dr. Bristol
                        http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...afflealpha.jpg
                        ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
                        I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
                        HORSING mobile training app

Comment

Originally posted by cyberbay View Post
                          Some french links are a small flat dog boned shape.
                          http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/4,500.html

I am taking by peanut shaped you mean more like the KKs- like a bean.
                          http://tacksolutions.shoprw.com/prod...roductid=10517
                          Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

Originally posted by AnotherRound View Post
                            My gelding is using an eggbutt french link snaffle. When I got him he was head tossing and I put him in a baucher french link, but I couldn't find one a 5 1/4" and the 5" was too small and the 5 1/2" was too big. I found an eggbutt french link 5 1/4" and we have been using that to a general satisfaction. He can go along without fussing. Much. I originally chose the baucher because he really needs a bit to be stable in his mouth and objects to alot of metal (mouth is small) and objects to alot of metal clanking and clacking around. The eggbutt is not too clanky. He is a horse which can open his mouth out on the trails to try to avoid the bit if he wants to run. On the trails I use a flash. I haven't been using a flash in the school because until now he seemed not to need it, and had been quiet. However, I am starting to ask him to move correctly consitently, and he can and does, but after a few minutes begins to object to the bit.

As we are progressing in his work and he is becoming stronger, and his topline is becoming stronger, I am asking him more and more to be "through" and to work with impulsion, requiring him to work from back to front. I am having a difficult time getting him to use the bit and stay on the bit consistently. He is fussing more and more, and I am really trying to be steady and quiet with my hands so that he can use the bit but the more he actually uses it correctly, the more he is fussing and tossing his head.

In my last lesson, my trainer stopped me and said "Wait, what is he doing with his tongue" as he is starting to loll his whole tongue out of his mouth, or, if he doesn't, she saw something odd. She opened his mouth and said he is curling his tongue all the way back in his mouth away from the bit.

Is this bit hurting his tongue (do bits do that) or what might be the mechanism here and what might be a solution?

Either my hands are bad, which they have never been before on horses, or he isnt' agreeing with this bit.

I know a reagular snaffle is way too nutcracker for him. He has a small jaw and looks like a low palate.

Any suggestions for a bit? He can be very strong outdoors, but right now I am thinking about his work in the school, and I am really stumped and don't know what I might do to start getting better performance from him which i know he is capable of but we seem to need something but I don't know what.

Thanks for any thoughts.
                            sounds like if the bridle and bit are fitted corectly then he might be one of those thats known as dry mouth whereby the bit irrates the skin
                            so you need to encougae him to salvia - give him a sugar lump before work
                            or a pepperment now as you know i am not one to give treats but inthis case it would be to start the salvia glands off if at shows and showing then pick a bit of grass for him to eat anything to start t the salvia glands off sugar lumps work well as they are sweet and encouaging to a horse

its important with dry mouthes horse to encourage the salvia glands before you ride them as you need the horse to be relaxed and able to flex at the poll and have relaxed mussles behind the saddle
                            you might also find tha the horse needs a key bit or tongue toggle ringed snaffle when not in work this wil encouage him to mouth the bit
                            lubrication for the bit to move against the skin without painful irratation

the other is as you say hes drawng his tongue back can be due to
                            the hand being to hard against the mouth in other words your not being light in the hand as one should be, so he learns to draw his tongue back in advasive measure
                            when the tongue is on top of the bit its acting directly against the bars of the mouth without the cushingeffect of the tongue, the metal of the bit will bang on the sensetive bars and the horse will look to every advassion little realsing his tongue over the bit cuased all the trouble

to adviod it the bridle needs to be fitted correctly not to low not to high and with the correct sized bit in his mouth a horse can move his tongue over a low bit with out really wanting to and you could adda caverson noseband to reduce the amount of movement for him to open his mouth

if however it continues and its not your hands then you might have to consider a ported bit like a a weymouth/pelham etc
                            or a bit with a tongue guard this will stop him drawing his tongue back and moving it over the top of the bit
                            Last edited by goeslikestink; Dec. 23, 2010, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Also run your fingers over your horses bars. Most bars are flat or slightly rounded but ocasionally the will really be triangular. If the bars are triangular, the horse will do best in a single jointed snaffle.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Petstorejunkie View Post
                                I could have written your post a few years ago, except instead of head tossing and tongue scrunching it was flying around like an inverted emu with his jaw clenched.
                                My horse has a narrow bit seat, sensitive bars, a fat tongue, low palate and medium lips. He is now lovely in a dr. bristol attached correctly with the flat plate lying flat against his tongue. it IS dressage legal. Throw out all the negative BS you've heard about a dr. bristol and just try it. you may find if he likes extra stable you could use a full cheek with keepers.
                                I've posted the original patent for the dr. bristol on COTH, so with some searching I'm sure you can find the proof this bit is not intended to be harsh or dig into a horse's mouth.
                                Oh, I had a horse as a youth in a dr. bristol. He loved the bit, was every bit a gentleman and I never considered the bit harsh, myself, because I guess it wasn't for him. Yes, I had it installed correctly. When I read about the recent thoughts on a Dr. Bristol on this board, I wondered where it all came from and I did realize that the flat part needs to be flat on the tongue and if it wasn't it would be troubling for the horse, as the edge would cut into the tongue, I believe.

Its a thought. I certainly will try it, as I have no qualms about it, if used correctly.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by CHT View Post
                                  The issues make me think he has a low palate, or giant togue, so he is trying to give the bit more room. The Baucher or a KK ultra may be the best to try to give his palate more room.
                                  Originally posted by Coffee View Post
                                  CHT - yes, I think he does have a low palate. I dont' know about the giant tongue, good golly when he lolls it out of his mouth it is obscene, though. When his mouth is closed, it is bulging through his teeth. Not the same thing as hanging the tongue out, it just seems like there's not alot of room in there for it, either I guess because his mouth is small, which it is, or maybe he does have a giant tongue. I'll have the vet comment on all this when I get the teeth done. I'll look at the kkultra, and I still think the baucher style is good for him.

Coffee, I have thought about that and I think I will try a mullen mouth. Maybe even a low port, to keep it off his tongue. I don't want to hit the roof of the mouth though, but I do have mullen mouths at the barn to try as well. thanks for mentining that, I might not have reconsidered that.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by alibi_18 View Post
                                    Alibi, my second horse (who went in a Dr. Bristol) was by Your Alibhai, and I think Your Alibhai had a son Alibi? Alibi is in there somewhere. Maybe I'm thinking of My Alibi. Anyway, my horse was Eromdiks (Skidmore backwards) and raced in NJ, I think. Grandson of Tom Fool on his dam's side. She was...Oh, yeah, Fools Dame. Where do you come by Alibi?

So - That Dr. Bristol is actually a slow twist Dr. Bristol. I don't think I want to go with a slow twist, but I am thinking of a (correctly applied) Dr. Bristol to try.

the one you marked as "Hey maybe this would work" looks really intriguing - because of the curve AND the french link AND the baucher.

Its possible that the links are too much for him and he really would like a mullen mouth. I might look for a curved one.

Comment

My horse, who had similar issues, is only happy in a myler Mullen mouth. HUGE curve in it, nothing moves. We call it the nothing bit LOL
                                      "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                                      ---
                                      The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

• Original Poster

GLS Said:
                                        the other is as you say hes drawng his tongue back can be due to
                                        the hand being to hard against the mouth in other words your not being light in the hand as one should be, so he learns to draw his tongue back in advasive measure
                                        when the tongue is on top of the bit its acting directly against the bars of the mouth without the cushingeffect of the tongue, the metal of the bit will bang on the sensetive bars and the horse will look to every advassion little realsing his tongue over the bit cuased all the trouble

to adviod it the bridle needs to be fitted correctly not to low not to high and with the correct sized bit in his mouth a horse can move his tongue over a low bit with out really wanting to and you could adda caverson noseband to reduce the amount of movement for him to open his mouth

if however it continues and its not your hands then you might have to consider a ported bit like a a weymouth/pelham etc
                                        or a bit with a tongue guard this will stop him drawing his tongue back and moving it over the top of the bit
                                        Well, this first thing you mention is a big concern. I have been chastised, and rightly so, for allowing my reins constantly to slip and my trainer says I am not giving him anything when he asks for the bit - its like a limp hand shake, she says. To me, when he asks for the bit, to move into contact with it, it seems like he is trying to 'take' it from me, so I let go. I have since put rein stops where I am to keep my hands and have been trying to be very steady and not let the reins go. The key, my trainer says, is to be fluid in the elbows and give with the elbows, but not release with the hands. When I have the rein stops and am quiet and steady, he isn't fussing, but he does try to move into the bit and when he gets there ducks down as if it isn't correct, or it hurts him.

When I didn't have the rein stops, I was fiddling too much and he was as you say - my hands were too heavy and he was drawing his tongue back. I think that's where that came in.

When he was evented in VA, the pics show he had a flash noseband. At his best, he is quiet and doesn't need it, so I stopped using it, to try to find out how he should go correctly, and sort out my hands, his mouth and his bit. I also wanted to see if I can get him to soften his jaw, so key to correct carriage. I can put a flash back on, but it doesn't answer the pressing question - what's going on, bit, hands, mouth conformation. Because of the head ducking when I solved my hand problem I think there is still a bit or mouth conformation problem. I could still be wrong on that, so I will still be looking at my hands. I have a good rider to ride him sometimes as well, and will watch and see how he responds to her. I will have her watch me and say what she thinks is happening as I ride.

It takes a long time before he softens and salivates well, GLS. It takes a long time before he warms up to move well, too. Like 45 mins before he is moving well and salivating. I don't treat him because he is grabby, but if a peppermint before riding starts him off better, I have no problem trying that. I'll consider the ported weymouth last. I will try a gentle curve weymouth just to see how that goes compared to the jointed bits.

Eh. I'll repost here after I've tried some things and update. Its really great to have the suggestions and thoughts, it helps to think about all this.

Comment

Working...
                                        X