• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

USDF Rider Medals

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USDF Rider Medals

So, I just got my Bronze in the mail the other day. I'm out of my mind proud of my goofy OTTB that I earned it on, but what I'm wondering is, what do you "do" with it? Did you frame it with the certificate? Did you throw it in a drawer? I'm interested to hear where yours is!

I've never had that problem

But congradulations!
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

So glad you asked! I was just wondering that myself - from the pin on the back, it seems like we're supposed to pin it somewhere, but it seems ostentatious as a lapel pin, and not ostentatious enough for a DQ stock pin
      http://wildwoodfarmnc.com

http://cantersgutenberg.wordpress.co...g-quiet-goose/

Comment

Congrats!

I just got mine in the mail too!!...a joint effort between my 19 year old selle francais and my OTTB (who sadly passed away in October)

I have no idea what to do with it, but DAMN we worked hard for it! LOL!

Congrats to all who earned their medals this year!

Comment

Just got my silver in the mail, need to order the lapel pin still.
          Last edited by dressurpferd01; Dec. 21, 2010, 09:02 PM. Reason: Stupid iPad keyboard...

Comment

Got my bronze in the mail yesterday too! Very excited, but like you, no idea what to do with it

Comment

Congratulations everyone! What about a display case such as this with a photo of you and your horses?

http://www.sfdisplay.com/xsmilitarym...secabinet.aspx

Comment

Ooh, I love that idea. That would be really nice to put it in a display case with a picture of the horse(es) that you won it on. Perhaps a nameplate beneath the picture of each horse also.

Comment

My trainer did something like that. She did a shadowbox with her medal (it came on a ribbon then), the certificate, and a photo of the horse she earned it on. It was really nice.

For my bronze, I'd have to have four horses' pictures, but for my silver (which I got last week as well), I only need one horse's picture.

If you order the smaller lapel pin, you can wear that on your show coat.

Comment

I put in in my jewelry box. Periodically I get it out, gaze at it, contemplate the amount of effort that went into earning it, think about doing something with it, and then put it back.
                    The Evil Chem Prof

Comment

Congratulations to all of you! and thank you for reminding me to order my lapel pin from 2 years ago.

I have mine in one of those "craft frames", they are like a thick picture frame that you would put flowers or other items that are thicker than paper. I got mine in a craft store.

Comment

I'd like to add my envious, admiring congrats to all of you, too!

The framed with photo idea is very nice, but I also think that wearing the pins on your show coat lapel is a great way to encourage other riders to emulate your achievement.
                        *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Comment

I used to be on the USDF Awards Council, and I suggested several times that the USDF store offer matting/framing options for the medals. Everyone seemed to like the idea, it just never went anywhere. It would be nice to have some kind of pre-cut mats with the USDF logo that would hold the certificate or a photo, with a round cut-out below for the medal. I could probably get this done at Michael's, but it would be nice to have something "official" looking to display it.

Maybe if more people requested this (hint) they might carry it. They could have one for the freestyle bars as well, or one for the medals and bars.

My certificate and medal are still sitting in the tote bag I use as a holding file for all my old tests. Not very glorious for the conformationally challenged Trak mare and retread gelding of uncertain parentage who helped me earn it.
                          Amateur rider, professional braider.
                          ----
                          Save a life, adopt a pet.

Comment

Originally posted by Peggy View Post
                            I put in in my jewelry box. Periodically I get it out, gaze at it, contemplate the amount of effort that went into earning it, think about doing something with it, and then put it back.
                            I'm pretty much where you are. And the reality is that no one that is not a horse person would even have a clue about the effort. So it stays tucked away....
                            We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

my gold is sitting over the kitchen sink so i see it every day

Comment

I can't wait to have this "issue"...lol.

I LOVE the idea of the pre-cut mat that would hold a picture of the horse, the medal, certificate and have the USDF emblem at the bottom or top. You could actually have that done yourself...at Michael's or Joann's. It would look lovely - that is for sure

Congrats to everyone that has received their medals!!!
                                Heather
                                Green Cove Springs, FL

Comment

I got my bronze, silver and gold medals on the same horse and they have been sitting in my tack room for years. This Christmas some of my students got together and are getting them framed in a shadow box with a photo of the horse I earned them on. I am so excited to see how it comes out! A great Christmas gift - thanks guys (and maybe an idea for that friend or trainer who has everything?)

Comment

my plan is when I get my gold, I want to use the three lapel pins to make a stock tie pin....those two tough GP scores are head of us....hopefully in 2011.

As an aging AA who didn't even start dressage until age 42 and with limited natural talent nor money, I figured at the point I have earned all three I can be as ostentatious as I like!

Congrats to all who earned their medals!!! And to those still aspiring, I started with a $1 breed stock paint in 2002.....work hard, stay focused, get good training and dare to dream
                                    m

Comment

Originally posted by stoneymeadow View Post
                                      my plan is when I get my gold, I want to use the three lapel pins to make a stock tie pin....those two tough GP scores are head of us....hopefully in 2011.

As an aging AA who didn't even start dressage until age 42 and with limited natural talent nor money, I figured at the point I have earned all three I can be as ostentatious as I like!

Congrats to all who earned their medals!!! And to those still aspiring, I started with a $1 breed stock paint in 2002.....work hard, stay focused, get good training and dare to dream
                                      ahhhhhhhh - you give me hope!!! I am 37 and just started dressage in July of this year. My horse has taught me so much already. I'm dreaming for both of us
                                      Heather
                                      Green Cove Springs, FL

Comment

Mine is in a shadow box

Along with pictures of the horses who got me the scores, and some of the ribbons they won on my way to getting it.
                                        It hangs in my study/office.

When I get my silver I'll do the same with that.
                                        Though the idea of the small ones to make a stock pin sounds interesting.
                                        I guess I could glue one say the silver to a tie tack backing and make a stock pin that way.

Any way congratulations, well done.

MW
                                        Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
                                        Sign up for the Equine nutrition enewsletter on www.foxdenequine.com
                                        New edition of book is out:
                                        Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X