• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Position Problems...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Position Problems...

It has been driving me crazy ever since I saw a video of myself riding a few months ago.
    One of my biggest issues with position is my toes. They like to stick out, and I have very unflexible ankles. I would really like for them to point forwards at least. I also have this horrible habit of drawing up my heels!
    The second issue is that I look down far to much. I hate this in myself, and when I look up, things are a whole lot better with feel and such (understandably!) However my eyes always drift back to the poll.
    I'd really like to develop a long and stretched leg, I know this will take a lot of practice and time, but I'm interested in suggestions on and off horse that can help me with these two issues.
    Unfortunately lunge lessons are out of the question. I have an excellent coach that does remind me regularly about toes, and relaxing my ankle. I have ridden far to many years without good instruction, and finally switched to dressage and found a great coach. Have to unlearn some terrible habits. Hope you guys can help me out! Thanks!

You can do some ankle stretching/workout if stairs, at home or at the barn. Just hold yourself at the end of one stair with your tip toes pointing straight (where you would actually put your iron) and have fun standing there lowering and rising your heels!

In the saddle, have your stirrups few holes higher and push in your heels as stretching exercises. Usually when people lift their whole leg and heels is because they are pushing on the stirrups.

Combine this with some 'no stirrups' sessions while riding.

For longer legs, best thing to think of is to lower (and back up a bit) your
    knees and lenghten your upper legs downward. The rest usually follow.

For a better toe angle, you'll have to stretch your thights inward and yes bring your knees closer to the saddle. (not gripping, closer) This will 'open' your
    hauches and gives you a deeper seat while maintaining proper angles in your now longer leg. It will also allow you to really turn your toes in without much pain and stress!

Don't forget to breath and enjoy suffering!
    ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
    I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
    HORSING mobile training app

Comment

I completely understand the toe out, back of leg on the horse thing, as I showed hunters from about 7 yrs until I was 18. When I finally made the commitment to switch to dressage a few years later, the toes straight ahead and INSIDE of the leg concept was very difficult! It has now been 25ish years of dressage, and started dabbling in jumping again. I now jump like a dressage rider!

Body position, correct alignment and posture are super important to me, as I used to teach dance and be a cheer leader (goal was to have fun and not injure ourselves!). I incorporate this into my dressage teaching. Here are some excercises that I have students do who struggle with the drapped leg concept - so that they can feel how their leg should be:

1) Stand with feet flat on the floor shoulder width apart, hands in riding position, and with a straight line from ear, to elbow, to heel. Now turn your toes towards each other about 4" apart.
      - Slightly bend the knees while your body is erect.
      - The leg always stays directly below the knee, just as it would if you were riding.

2) Now, move your feet apart about 2', keeping the same erect posture and softly bent knee. THIS is about as close as you can come to riding leg position off the horse as you can get.

As for how your feet and ankles will feel when correct, it will almost feel as though your heel is up. In reality, the bottom of your foot is nearly level. The ankle is straight down. If the ankle breaks outwardward towards the horses body (foot rolls outwards in stirrup) in an effort to get the inside of the leg on the horse, then this is incorrect. The ankle needs to be corrected back to hanging straight underneath the rider.

KEY: Your riding position should be so that if you were to suddenly have the horse removed out from under you, you would land flat on your feet, and not fall forwards or back.

And, if it hurts or there is suffering, you will know that you are not quite in the right position.

Good luck!

Comment

Don't focus only on your feet. Focus on your hips and thighs. You need to rotate your hip joints inward. It can help to lift your leg off the saddle, grab the muscle (and/or fat!) on your inner thigh from behind, and pull it back so that the inner front of your thigh rests on the saddle. Think of kneeling in the saddle with your thighs and knees softly rotated inward and your heels softly out.

Personally, I have very short achilles tendons, which means my heels don't drop. (If I squat down, I roll over backwards before I can sit on my calves!) I did the stand-on-the-stair thing for hours, but it never helped loosen them. What did help was many hours in two-point at the trot. I think that just broke them down a bit, lol.

It's hard not to break outward at your ankle if you just try to point your toes in. Rotate the upper leg and let the lower leg just drape from there. (And then learn how to aid that way, lol)
        Ring the bells that still can ring
        Forget your perfect offering
        There is a crack in everything
        That's how the light gets in.

Comment

I find having students FORCE their toe OUT, more out than it already is, works better than trying to turn it in.

It exhausts the muscles that hold the toe out and allow it to rotate forward.

Hips need to open in both directions to allow the leg to drape.

Instead of lifting your heel, push your lower leg forward, again tiring muscles that "hold" the leg.

The other suggestions you have gotten from other posters are very useful if they work for you.
          “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
          ? Albert Einstein

Comment

I think it's great to watch your self on video-I think that's the fastest way to learn what you're doing!
            I personally cheat about looking down. Keep your head up, and just move your eyes down, LOL

It's not your toes, it's your hips. You'd be amazed at how many ways a rider compensates for their stiff hips!

Comment

The toe problem can be solved from your hips -- work on opening your hips (yoga etc.), then you can rotate "inner spiral" your thighs and voila, your leg will fall down nice and long and your toes will point forward. Eventually -- that is quite a process, ask me how I know .

And your heal doesn't have to be down -- I have a trainer who yells at me to get my heals *up* (as in parallel to the ground) so my leg is ON my horse etc. etc ....

The looking up problem... other than having someone constantly yell at you, try focusing going to a specific letter in the arena, so you can keep your eye on it, or work over ground poles (even a couple of single ones here and there in the arena) -- it makes you pay attention where you're going. Also ask me how i know .

A good position is always a work in process...
              "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

Comment

Originally posted by horsefaerie View Post
                I find having students FORCE their toe OUT, more out than it already is, works better than trying to turn it in.

It exhausts the muscles that hold the toe out and allow it to rotate forward.

Hips need to open in both directions to allow the leg to drape.

Instead of lifting your heel, push your lower leg forward, again tiring muscles that "hold" the leg.

The other suggestions you have gotten from other posters are very useful if they work for you.

That's a real good idea!

Comment

Originally posted by toesforward View Post
                  It has been driving me crazy ever since I saw a video of myself riding a few months ago.
                  One of my biggest issues with position is my toes. They like to stick out, and I have very unflexible ankles. I would really like for them to point forwards at least. I also have this horrible habit of drawing up my heels!
                  The second issue is that I look down far to much. I hate this in myself, and when I look up, things are a whole lot better with feel and such (understandably!) However my eyes always drift back to the poll.
                  I'd really like to develop a long and stretched leg, I know this will take a lot of practice and time, but I'm interested in suggestions on and off horse that can help me with these two issues.
                  Unfortunately lunge lessons are out of the question. I have an excellent coach that does remind me regularly about toes, and relaxing my ankle. I have ridden far to many years without good instruction, and finally switched to dressage and found a great coach. Have to unlearn some terrible habits. Hope you guys can help me out! Thanks!
                  if your toes are out then your legs are not on the sides of the horse
                  common rider error

go here and read page one on how to alter your stirrups which will help with your position
                  http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=178116

Comment

Working...
                  X