• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Advice on Breeches Brands?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Breeches Brands?

Hello!

I am just recently getting back into riding, and it seems as though the brands have changed somewhat! LOL.

I am wondering what brands of breeches anyone can recommend for dressage? Either full-seat or knee-patch? It is rather chilly where I live and I keep seeing the Kerrits Sit Tight 'N Warm tights advertised everywhere... does anyone own these? Interested to see what you think of them...

Any advice on what breeches you tend to wear would be appreciated.

Thanks!

For cheap schooling breeches Tuffriders Ribbed breeches are the way to go. I've never seen them look bad on anybody they flatter all. They offer both a full seat and a knee patch version. I'm in Florida so I cant recommend winter breeches. I however recently been wearing my summer schooling tights under my Tuffriders because of how cold it has been in Florida.
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks!

There aren't any easy accessible tack shops near where I live. Therefore, I have been searching online (Dover, Stateline, Smartpak, etc.) to scope out breeches. I have a pair of Dublin's that I love, however I have heard that they run small? I own a pair in a size 26R that fit perfect (I am very petite and thin). However, I purchased an off-brand pair of breeches on Ebay in a 24R and they were a tad bit tighter than to my liking :-/ Therefore, I am hesitant about purchasing breeches online without trying them on... I will have to check out the Tuffriders!

Funny you say that, my cousin lives in Florida and she was telling me it was 26 degrees where she lives today?!? Crazy!

Comment

Tuffriders run pretty true to size. I'm a 27 in jeans and a 28 in breeches.

Yeah its ridiculously cold down here especially for how early into winter we are.
        --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--

Comment

• Original Poster

That's good to know- I'm on Dover's website and they have them at pretty good deals! I was just debating whether or not to order my usual size or a size down- according to some of the reviews, people are saying they run a little big?

Guess the only way to find out is to order them and try them! LOL.

Well, I will still take your weather compared to ours- it was six degrees here the other night! That's when I pull out my hand and toe warmers for riding

Comment

I'm a sucker for Ovation breeches. I find them to be very flattering and they wear well. They're also a very good price. I particularly like the kind with the dry lex liner.

I also LOVE my VTO full-seats: http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/FULLSEAT/NVSPFSB.htm. No, they aren't something I would wear in a show (though that could just be the "snobbiness" from my H/J history ), but they are SO comfortable. They don't cling in an unflattering way and I find them to be warm in the winter and still very comfortable in the summer (in Maine). I've had mine for over 3 years now and I wear them allllllll the time and they're still going strong. Plus, I love VTO Saddlery. Top notch service and fast shipping at a great (flat!) rate.
            "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Comment

Spring-Summer-Fall I live in either Ovation or Tuff Rider ribbed breeches. The Ovations are a little nicer looking I think, the Tuff Rider ribbed breeches are a little more casual, but very cool in the hot weather. Both brands wear well, the Ovations maybe a little better, but for inexpensive breeches I've been satisfied with both.

For winter, nothing beats the Irideon Wind Pro breeches. They are wind/water resistant and fleece lined. They are flattering (don't have that "shine" that a lot of fleece lined breeches seem to have that highlights all the details of what you wear under your breeches), and hold up really well to daily wearing, and can be thrown in the washing machine with normal detergent.

The Kerrits Sit Tight breeches... the full seat or knee patch part is a rubbery material.. a friend of mine had a pair of the these, and they were very squeaky on her saddle, and they stuck SO tight that she actually got stuck half way on a horse! She went to swing her leg over the back of the saddle, and when it contacted the saddle, it wouldn't slide the rest of the way over the horse! It was quite amusing for the rest of us, but she promptly got rid of those breeches

For sizing, most of my jeans are a size 4 (like at Gap or American Eagle) and the Ovations or Tuff Riders I like in a 28 and the Irideons I get a small.
              Gallant Gesture "Liam" 1995 chestnut ottb gelding
              Mr. Painter "Remy" 2006 chestnut ottb gelding
              My Training Blog: www.dressagefundamentals.com

Comment

I just discovered Aristas at Equine Affaire and just bought a second pair nwt on eBay. They are wonderful- real leather and doesn't feel tight anywhere.
                I don't think I'd ever pay full price for them (I think $330 ish)? Their EA special was $230 and I got my eBay pair for $150-- there are some other pairs still up if you are interested.

Comment

GQ--I LOVE ARISTAS! There are the nicest breeches out there, in my opinion...nicer than pikeur, cavallo, gd, schumacher... They're similar in fit to Kentucky's.

I also own Tuff Rider, Riding Sports, Ovation...they work great too.

Don't care for the Kerrits Sit Tight n Warm...the butt is rubbery, too sticky, squeeks and doesn't breathe at all...I have to wear long johns with them so there's a breathable layer in there and that helps. But, it's FREEZING in VA (teens to twenties...that's COLD for here), so I'm using em. My saddle is super slippery, so it works out ok (I couldn't deal with with them in a buffalo, sticky saddle) Kerrits has some newer models that look more promising though.

Comment

Equissentials, made to measure. Netfilly has good deals on them on eBay
                    I wasn't always a Smurf
                    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

I am beyond impressed with the warmth of my tropical riders toasties.
                      Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

Hands down, my favorites are the Wind-pro full seats from Irideon. Though I still need long undies to stay warm when it dips below 10 degrees here in northern IL.

I have one pair of the Kerrits sit-tight-and-warm breeches. I'm not crazy about them - they are warm and comfy but that seat is *really* sticky. I didn't use them at all when I was riding in a leather saddle. They're better now that I'm in a Wintec Isabell which has a suede-y seat.

I do have a pair of Kerrits winter breeches which have the same grippy stuff on knee patches only, and they're very pleasant to ride in, and cozy.
                        Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

Comment

I buy a lot of breeches from Neddy's. They are less than $100 but the material feels like much more expensive breeches, they fit great and are true to size. I've been very happy with the two low riders for me and the two full seats for my husband. Just another option to look at besides the usual.

Comment

I don't like the Kerrits Sit Tight tights, but I do have a pair of the Kerrits Microcord full seat tights that are very comfortable and look pretty good for "cheap" breeches.

I personally hate how Tuffriders look, but I have been spoiled by wearing and riding in Pikeur breeches only (except for the one pair of Kerrits mentioned above) for the last 15 years. If you have the budget, Pikeurs and RTS are sooo nice and last forever (I've had one pair for 10 years).

Comment

• Original Poster

Wow, thank you for the responses! I think I will toss out the idea of the Kerrits Tight 'N Warm. It is hard to see zoom-in photos of them online, but now that I have done a more thorough search, I DO see the "rubbery" material everyone is talking about.

I haven't tried Ovation breeches... will definitely have to check that out. I'm sure there is another forum for riding clothes, but if anyone is ever wanting to sell their breeches PLEASE let me know... I could pay via Paypal.. size 26R (unless they run big, then size 24R, vice versa).

I have heard many raves about the Iredion breeches. I do look on Ebay quite often, but I will also have to check out VTO Saddlery!

Now onto finding some nice warm gloves....

Comment

I haven't seen Neddys around for a long time -- where do you get them?

Comment

I've only had two brands of breeches, believe it or not. I have some knee-patch Elation breeches that were pretty cheap but they do the job. I'm not sure what you want to spend on breeches, but usually buying nicer pays off as they should last longer. My Elations after just over 2 years of owning them, and light once-a-week riding, are starting to tear a tiny bit in the hem of the seat. That's fine for my weekly riding lesson, though I'm not sure how they would hold up for riding more each week.

But I love, love, love my FITS full-seat breeches! They are amazing, simply. They're around $230 but they're very breathable, sticky, and comfortable for full-seats. Personally, I hate those cheap full seats as the whole felt piece joined together is very uncomfortable and hard to move in. But so many have changed their minds when they get a hand on some nice full-seats.

Pikeur and Arista are great brands too (though I've never ridden in them before), and if you don't want to pay that much, I've seen some around that you can get gently used for around $70.

Comment

I think it entirely depends on your body shape what will even FIT you. I'm 5.7, 115 lbs with a few curves.

Cotton Naturals and VTO breeches had to go right back -- way too big in the waist and get this: way too tight in the knee (WTH???), Riding Sports had a bunch of fabric where the zipper is attached right in the crotch (wonder whose idea THAT was) and looked baggy and cheap (so back they went), Kerrits and Irideons kinda sorta fit me, but I can basically pull them up under my arms... so not well enough of a fit for the price.

John Field (can unfortunately not find them anywhere anymore) and Pikeur Lagunas fit me like a glove. They are expensive, but IMHO totally, totally worth it -- for the right fit.

Good luck that your body fits into cheaper breeches!
                                    "Reite dein Pferd vorwärts und richte es gerade.” Gustav Steinbrecht

Comment

My advice is to find a tack store and try on a bunch of brands. Honestly, people out here love ones that would never fit me nor make me happy. I'm sure they'd feel that way about the ones I like. It seems that we now have a wider selection than ever before, and they fit more shapes and sizes. What sucks is that they also are discontinuing styles faster--which means you start the search over many times in just a few years when you need another pair of breeches that will make you happy.
                                      "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

Comment

I am a curvy rider...and just recently got back into riding. I LOVE the TuffRider brand. I ride in the pull on schoolers...as well as have a few of the adult jodhs. The ribbed are a lot more "solid" than the regular knit.

I also love Sigma...but they don't make them anymore...so if you can find them - grab them. Sigma breeches seem to run a bit smaller than TuffRider.

I find that TuffRider are true to size...and actually have a bit of "give" to them.

As for winter breeches...I have no clue. I am in good ole' SWEAT YOUR A** OFF Florida It was in the teens on Monday...and now it is in the 70s.
                                        Heather
                                        Green Cove Springs, FL

Comment

Working...
                                        X