• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

USDF Recognized Associate instructor rip off!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USDF Recognized Associate instructor rip off!

USDF is eliminating the Associate Instructor title including all the instructors who currently hold that designation.. Considering the cost involved to achieve this goal(at least $2,500)this is outrageous...They could at least continue to recognize the instructors who went through the program and spent their money.. Why anyone would attempt USDF Certification if they can withdrawal your qualifications at a whim???
    Last edited by blackhorse6; Dec. 20, 2010, 09:25 AM. Reason: bump

Originally posted by blackhorse6 View Post
    USDF is eliminating the Associate Instructor title including all the instructors who currently hold that designation
    USDF is hiring hit men?!

Seriously, though.... Do you have a link? Someone had reported that there was discussion of the topic, but I hadn't seen anything official, and at least right now don't see anything on the USDF site. (I am known to be blind when things are directly in front of my face, though, as a disclaimer.) If money spent for certification is thrown away that's crummy. If it can be used for a further level of certification, or if the title is being changed to accurately reflect intent, that's different, though.
    Originally posted by Silverbridge
    If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

Did you receive a letter notifying you? Did you see it in the USDF magazine? Where did you hear?

Comment

That's a shame.

It costs $2500 for the Associate certification? Holee Cow! Not worth it. If I were one of the Associate certificate holders, I'd be p*ssed off!

Comment

quick look at the USDF site does not yield anything that states this. Not on the blog and not in the news. If this is something they have announced I would love to know where they announced it!
          Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
          Originally Posted by alicen:
          What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Comment

There was an article in the December USDF Connection magazine on page 8 written by Gerhard Politz, starting off with "Allow me to explain why USDF decided to discontinue the Associate Instructor recognition in its certification program."
            Inese

Comment

Basically, USDF got a ton of complaints from people about "associate instructors" that were calling themselves "certified associate instructors", when there was no certification. From my my understanding, the associate instructors were the ones who didn't complete the certification process. I don't blame them one bit when a lot of people were getting confused from the inappropriate verbage being used by some. Either complete the certification, or don't, there shouldn't be an in-between.

Comment

Can you please explain? Is there a (full rather than associate) Instructor title? How does one get that?

Am I to understand that an associate instructor is someone who didn't finish the Instructor program and get certified?

Or was there an Associate Instructor program? Whan that was completed, what did you get, a certification? Nothing? Why wouldn't you get a letter or something to certify that you completed the program? Why woudl it be wrong to call yourself a certified AI if you completed the program?

I am confused.
                Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

"An Associate Instructor has successfully completed the USDF Instructor Certification Workshop series in Lungeing, Teaching and Riding but have not yet been tested for certification."

http://www.usdf.org/about/contact/ce...ass=Associates

It would be like auditing all the 'L' program sessions but not testing then saying you are an 'Associate' L program grad.

Comment

AIs went to cert courses, but that is all. They did not test (which is a quarter that price and does not require pre-certs).
                    I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

Maybe they should change the name of the Associate Instructors instead of nullifying the thing all together. It is like the "L" people cannot be called Judges, but Graduates. Maybe a similar designation. L
                      I actually pointed out an Assoc Instructor to the USDF who in fact was advertising herself as a "Certified" USDF Instructor and the USDF did nothing.
                      "The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli"

Comment

I don't what's to be so upset about

They are not taking away from the folk who went through the program and then tested and passed and are now certified.

They are only stopping the ones who sat through a few workshops but never tested and who still call themselves Instructors.

If you went through the workshops now finish the process and get tested and get certified.

Shuts a loophole that has been abused for quite a while IMO.

MW
                        Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
                        Sign up for the Equine nutrition enewsletter on www.foxdenequine.com
                        New edition of book is out:
                        Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Comment

Wasn't it the USDF who called them Associate Instructors? That was the problem... they should have chosen an more appropriate name without the word Instructor so that the actual USDF Certified Instructors can have that designation.
                          "The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli"

Comment

The problem is they should have never attempted to recognize people that only attended the courses. As was already pointed out, they don't recognize people who attend sessions A-C of the "L" program but never attend part 2, and they shouldn't recognize people for just attending instructor certification courses.

If we want to have qualified instructors on par with the german or even british instructor programs for example, we have to start somewhere. But the instructors HAVE to test.

So tired of the mentality in this country of recognizing people for barely doing anything. You don't get credit for going through a college class if you don't take the final exam and pass it. Attendance doesn't count, sorry.

Nothing in the sport of dressage is cheap. SO WHAT if it costs $2500 to do the courses. That's cheap when you sit back and add up how much you spend taking lessons or clinics, attending shows, etc.

Next thing people are going to whine about is the fact that you actually have to have experience and even successful students at these levels.

Another problem is they didn't grandfather in the "Greats" of our sport such as, oh, say George Williams, Steffen Peters, Debbie McDonald. But that's a whole other can of worms.
                            Hopeful Farm Sport Horses
                            Midwest Breeders Group
                            Follow me on Twitter
                            Join me on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
                              Basically, USDF got a ton of complaints from people about "associate instructors" that were calling themselves "certified associate instructors", when there was no certification. From my my understanding, the associate instructors were the ones who didn't complete the certification process. I don't blame them one bit when a lot of people were getting confused from the inappropriate verbage being used by some. Either complete the certification, or don't, there shouldn't be an in-between.
                              Yeah, um, well, this is something that the USDF office was perpetuating and telling the associates to call themselves. It wasn't something that the associates suddenly decided to do. So there way of covering up their own mess is to eliminate the whole associate designation. Nice...

BTW, the whole program is a major joke. Who cares what they do? No one should bother wasting their money on going through certification with the USDF. It's useless and meaningless.
                              "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

Comment

Velvet, a graduate of the USDF course told me that, too. A waste of time and money.

Comment

[QUOTE][/QUOTEAnother problem is they didn't grandfather in the "Greats" of our sport such as, oh, say George Williams, Steffen Peters, Debbie McDonald. But that's a whole other can of worms.
                                  _______

If these people are great instructors then perhaps they should. I only know them as competitors. That DOES NOT make them good instructors. Kind of like thinking Refrigerator Perry would have to make a great coach.

I have been teaching a long time. A very long time. Perhaps if they looked at the show records of students, including the type of horse they rode to get those scores to decide who should be an instructor.

Right now it is just a money making scheme.

I know some wonderfully capable riders and trainers. They CAN NOT teach. THankfully, they will be the first one to tell you so. Too bad everyone is not so honest.
                                  “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
                                  ? Albert Einstein

Comment

I am a USDF Associate and "L" Graduate. To help clarify, there was an article in the USDF Connection, but most of this news about cancelling the Associates was sent to the current Associates via mail or email.

While I am in the process of testing for my instructor certification and plan to continue on with the program, I have not gotten to that point. As one poster suggested, Associates did not simply audit the workshops - we participated in all three, were evaluated by the instructor in all three phases, took a first aid course and paid dues to receive the recognition for getting to this point. In my opinion, there is a difference between someone who has done the workshops and someone who has not, just as there is a difference between Associates and people who have passed the testing.

In reply to someone saying there is not anything like that in the "L" - I disagree. When I was in my "L" program, I was an "L" Education Program participant. Professionals recognized that I was something different than someone who had not started the program and my title (no matter how formal/informal) helped me gain access to judges for sitting and continuing education.

Unfortunately, the USDF created the Associate level and it seems that many people are upset because they took the workshops and first aid course and paid a lot of money/dues with the plan of only becoming Associates.

In my mind, it would be like giving a credential to someone who completed the Part 1 of the "L" and sat/scribed for 30 hours - they are not yet "L" graduates, but they paid for a certain amount of education and expected to be recognized accordingly.

The problem is that the USDF now faces having to take away something that they have been selling to their members. I understand both sides of the argument and have no personal feelings about keeping/cancelling the Associate level, but am glad I do not have to make the choice!
                                    www.mooredressage.com
                                    www.alsikkanfarm.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Associates Level

They did send a letter to the instructors but did not ask for any of their input. To become an associate you need to attend the workshops, have references, first aid course, and positive comments on your workshop reviews. Each year you need continuing education and pay a fee of $40- to maintain your recognition. Personally i feel this level shows that your instructor is working on continuing their education and testing their knowledge. Not all of the instructors can continue with testing due to financial constraints or physical issues.

Some of these instructors are certified with other organizations and list themselves as certified on their websites. As a potential student you need to do your own due diligence. Anyone can say they are a FEI rider/gold medalist/champion etc.

If USDF doesn't wish to continue with this option fine but for the instructors who have spent the money and time they should still be recognized.

Comment

All they really needed to do was eliminate the term "instructor" from the title and that would have been the end of it. They could have simply called them USDF associates, but why oh why keep anything simple?

Comment

Working...
                                        X