• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Beginner Frusterations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner Frusterations

Beginner dressage rider here, long time H/J rider with bad habits.

Have a great dressage coach and taking weekly lessons. But, I feel like when outside of a lesson I just simply can not ride.

I have a saint of a horse, but difficult to ride. I HANG on his right rein, and he pulls back. I add leg, he speeds up. I pull harder, appy more leg...he pulls harder and goes faster. I forget to halfhalt sometimes and forget which leg needs to be applied an have utterly bad timing for my pathetic attempt at halfhalts.

Sigh...its hard work, I dont mind that....I just want to do good by my horse and I'm feeling like Im just messing things up.

I know how you feel because I'm an adult re-rider with a green horse. The only thing that began to work for us was for my trainer to start riding my horse so that my horse could really understand what was being asked. If you can't afford to have your trainer put some rides on your horse, perhaps she can split the lesson so that she rides your horse for half the lesson and then you get on. It made a big difference having my trainer ride my horse because she knew how my horse felt and could better communicate what I needed to do.

Good luck, I hope you stick with it and start to feel better about things!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Comment

Practice those half halts and stop pulling. He won't pull if you don't. Keep your end of the connection steady. Give him something to work into. If he gets too quick, slow your posting, and half halt-- a lot.
      I have the exact opposite problem. I ride fine on my own, and turn into a mushroom when I'm in a lesson. No one said the road to Rome was an easy one.
      "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
      http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

Keep practicing!

I can so relate! Almost exactly a year ago I moved my green Arab to a dressage barn and started taking lessons. I was commenting to someone today that my horse has changed SO MUCH in a year. And me too! Since I used to ride saddle seat and western, I felt dumber than a post for the first 6 or 7 months I rode dressage. Everything was wrong. The poor horse must have thought I was a moron. I know my instructor must have felt like tearing her hair out on many occasions. And then, mysteriously, sometime around August or September things started coming together and they just keep getting better. All I can figure is that the horse and I finally figured each other out after months of practicing.

So, keep riding. Keep practicing. Go to as many clinics as you can and take the clinicians' comments to heart. Your horse won't be permanently damaged by all your mistakes. Give your instructor a big Christmas bonus! Persevere! It will get better!

Comment

I have re-schooled several off track thoroughbreds, so I'd say I'm pretty familiar with leg=speed and half-halt=pull, LOL! Don't forget the three T's, Things Take Time!!! The problem is most likely that your horse has no idea what a half-halt is, he is new to dressage just like you. So you have to actively TEACH him what response you want. Right now you give a half-halt and he takes the reins and pull back.

Try this instead, do a clear half-halt and then give your hands forward so you know you are releasing the half-halt. If you don't release the half-halt pressure you will never progress in dressage. Every bit of training in dressage comes from the release, not the pressure. So give the hands, and observe what your horse does. He will most likely speed up since you have been holding him with the reins, so come to an abrupt halt and then really praise him in the halt. Keep repeating this until he finally gets that the half-halt = stop. And you must remember to release the pressure the instant he halts or you will not teach him a thing. You will see after a few sessions when you half-halt he will be willing to come right back to you and halt.

From there, only after he is totally understanding you want him to stop, then you start adjusting the half-halt. Give a smaller half-halt and see if he will come down to the walk easily instead of the halt. After you master that you can move on to the correct half-halt where you stay in the trot and he simply rocks back on his haunches. But he will never get that idea if you don't make it much more clear to him through the halt.

And just for your info, don't try this method with a lazy horse! This method only works for the forward horse who tends to run and ignore half-halts.

Another thing you need to teach your horse is that leg does not always mean faster. Yes, you want your horse to go from your leg aids, but adding impulsion has nothing to do with speed. I think of asking my horse to step with more energy but HIGHER off the ground. I don't want him charging away forward, I want him rocking back and lifting up instead. Many, many transitions, especially walk to trot back to walk will help establish this idea for your horse.

Comment

Great post dwblover!
            "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
            http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement. And yes, Things Take Time. Im not giving up, I am 100% dedicated to this.

Comment

Thanks kinnip!

Comment

Originally posted by dwblover View Post
                  And just for your info, don't try this method with a lazy horse! This method only works for the forward horse who tends to run and ignore half-halts.
                  Hmmm... OK, any tips for the lazy horse?

Comment

Sure, LOL! My other horse is a Dutch Warmblood who is as lazy as the day is long, haha!! It comes down to the same principle, the horse must react from a set of clear aides that are always the same. So, if you are having trouble keeping your horse forward, then you have not taught the horse to carry himself. You have taught him to depend on you for motivation. So you start from the halt and you give a light leg aid to go forward, and be sure to have a very soft hand. If nothing happens, you have to immediately be much more clear and either tap three times with the whip behind your leg or really give a thump with your legs until the horse really jumps forward. Then you praise like crazy. Then you MUST go back to the light leg aid and get a response from that. Repeat until the horse goes from the light leg aid.

Now once the horse is in motion it is the horse's job to keep that motion going, not yours. You really need feel like the horse is in front of your leg, not hiding behind it just waiting for you to let up on the pressure. Walk-trot transitions where you expect the horse to strike off into trot instantly can really help to jazz up the lazy horse. Responsiveness is golden! Then when they are maintaining the forward themselves, sit quiet and have quiet hands. If they make a mistake and slow down, send them forward very clearly and then be very quiet until they slow down again. Horses are very smart and they will soon figure out that you expect them to remain forward and that is the ONLY thing you are going to accept from now on.

And be sure with the lazy horse that you do not allow them to suck back during a half-halt. For these horses, you need to think of a half-go instead of a half-halt. Add forward energy first, then close the fist softly and brace the back lightly and be sure your horse simply shifts weight to the back end, but does not try to hide back there himself. Always feel you have a lot of horse out in front of you, and just a small, powerful, quick engine behind you. The instant you lose that feeling it's time to apply the very clear aides to go forward again. But always return to the lighter aides and give the horse the chance to respond to them. That way you train the horse to respond to the smaller aides instead of bigger and bigger ones.

Comment

why would you tap 3 times with teh whip when the horse ignored your leg? wouldn't it be more correct to reapply the leg and tap once at the same time and give the horse a chance to respond to that aid? if he ignores escalate but always give the horse the chance to respond and always keep the leg aid the same and increase the whip aid.

also, i am sure everyone knows this, but a half halt is mostly leg/seat and then hand even when you are teaching it.
                      Last edited by mbm; Dec. 5, 2010, 10:39 PM. Reason: damn a' s

Comment

I think the idea that DWBL is expressing is that you are teaching the horse to respond NOW to the light aid, and if you don't get a response you escalate VERY quickly until you do. You want the connection to be immediate in the horse's mind.

If you repeat the aid before getting the response, you are diluting the aid and habituating the horse to giving the aid twice.

It's like calling a dog over and over when it doesn't respond the first time. You begin to lose the connection between the cue and the response very quickly.
                        Ring the bells that still can ring
                        Forget your perfect offering
                        There is a crack in everything
                        That's how the light gets in.

Comment

HINT: When I forgot my HH's my trainer had me ride the movements and put in HH's at certain times - at every 1/4 of the circle, before corners, before each change of movement - at every letter down the long side, etc...

This gets you in the habit of using HH's so once it's established you can back of to using them when necessary - not as scheduled.
                          Now in Kentucky

Comment

MelantheLLC, EXACTLY what I am saying!!! Horses don't think in shades of gray like people do, only black and white. The horse has to know CLEARLY what a light leg aid means. If you give him six chances to respond to ever increasing aids he has totally lost the message. If however you go from light leg aid, then three taps with whip and light leg aid, back to light leg aid the horse is going to pick the light leg aid next time! If you think that sounds mean, it's much more annoying to confuse the horse and never be clear enough for him to know what you are asking. Once he has established the light leg aid means go, there is no more argument.

Comment

Squish, NEVER pull back on the reins unless your life is in danger. You and your horse IMO, need to practice knowing where your bounderies are, and you need to stop this pulling match. Plant your hands on the pommel and don't move them just your fingers. Or, make sure your pinkies are touching the pommel almost all the time. If the horse pulls, plant you hands and let pull your pelvis into the saddle, and keep your elbows at your sides.

Halfhalt, squeeze the reins and move your pelvis forward. Always hold, release, hold release, not hold hold hold.

I know nothing about a horse that's lazy to the leg. But like another poster here said, trot-walk transitions will get him more on the leg aids.

Comment

Originally posted by MelantheLLC View Post
                                I think the idea that DWBL is expressing is that you are teaching the horse to respond NOW to the light aid, and if you don't get a response you escalate VERY quickly until you do. You want the connection to be immediate in the horse's mind.

If you repeat the aid before getting the response, you are diluting the aid and habituating the horse to giving the aid twice.

It's like calling a dog over and over when it doesn't respond the first time. You begin to lose the connection between the cue and the response very quickly.
                                i disagree. strongly. you give an aid, if no response you give the SAME aid, and escalate by using the whip ONCE. if you don't get a response to *that* then you use the SAME aid and escalate the whip again. But you need to give the horse the chance to respond. depending on the horse this might be lessor or greater time span....

if done correctly it DOES work. attacking the horse with the whip 3 times does not allow the horse to respond to the aid, and in fact if he does respond and then gets hit again the message gets muddied. in other words, 3 lashes of the whip with no interval for response is over aiding and may backfire and is unfair.

btw: this is not my philosophy - but the masters of dressage.

Comment

Originally posted by dwblover View Post
                                  If you give him six chances to respond to ever increasing aids he has totally lost the message.
                                  i said nothing about increasing the leg aid - in fact i said the SAME leg aid with the addition of one whip. see above post for more info.

Comment

To the OP (Squish? Bunny? What's a good nickname?), you're getting lots of great advice about aids, half-halts, etc. And that's all super. But . . . .

If you are this new to dressage than my advice / encouragement is this: Give yourself some time. It really does become a beautiful and intimate conversation that you have with your horse. Not today or tomorrow, or maybe even a year from now. But every day a little closer.

Stick with it, listen to your trainer, and try to absorb it all. Unlike other disciplines where your accomplishments are for the world to see (Hey! I jumped 3 foot for the first time! Or Hey! I nailed my sliding stop!), your personal victories in dressage are usually quiet and personal - a great canter transition, a horse on the outside rein for the first time, your first moment of honest connection.

From someone who wondered why dressge girths were so little, to someone who truly appreciates the beauty of the relationship, let me just say "I understand". You have begun a long and amazing journey, the learning never stops. I'm a mere infant in this and I am always eager for the next phase.

Keep us posted and ask for encouragement whenever necessary!
                                    Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Then always be Batman.

The Grove at Five Points

Comment

Originally posted by ACMEeventing View Post
                                      To the OP (Squish? Bunny? What's a good nickname?), you're getting lots of great advice about aids, half-halts, etc. And that's all super. But . . . .

If you are this new to dressage than my advice / encouragement is this: Give yourself some time. It really does become a beautiful and intimate conversation that you have with your horse. Not today or tomorrow, or maybe even a year from now. But every day a little closer.

Stick with it, listen to your trainer, and try to absorb it all. Unlike other disciplines where your accomplishments are for the world to see (Hey! I jumped 3 foot for the first time! Or Hey! I nailed my sliding stop!), your personal victories in dressage are usually quiet and personal - a great canter transition, a horse on the outside rein for the first time, your first moment of honest connection.

From someone who wondered why dressge girths were so little, to someone who truly appreciates the beauty of the relationship, let me just say "I understand". You have begun a long and amazing journey, the learning never stops. I'm a mere infant in this and I am always eager for the next phase.

Keep us posted and ask for encouragement whenever necessary!

Beautifully said! I think training level was the most frustrating level there is!

Comment

OK, mbm, nobody is talking about "attacking" the horse with the whip.

Let's not put up straw men to create dissension where there are simply subtle differences.

You may feel your way is best, and works best for you and the masters of dressage, and that's fine.

However, another approach is NOT to give the aid twice, but if there is no response, or insufficient response, to use whip taps (taps, got it?) within two steps of giving the aid, in one smooth escalation, to get the response within 2-3 steps. As soon as the response occurs to the light aid (whip taps or not) you release the aid. There is simply nothing abusive about this.

It is meant to be as clear as possible for the horse by associating the light aid (which is pressure) directly with the response and release within 2 steps. Repetition of this will teach the horse very clearly what the light aid means, without any confusion that might be introduced by giving an aid which does not get a response, and then repeating that aid.
                                        Ring the bells that still can ring
                                        Forget your perfect offering
                                        There is a crack in everything
                                        That's how the light gets in.

Comment

Working...
                                        X