• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Market in the States for Mid Level Dressage Horse with FEI Potential

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Market in the States for Mid Level Dressage Horse with FEI Potential

Just wondering if the market is getting any better/worse/staying the same. I have a horse being long term leased back in the States (woman had a family tragedy though so I'm unsure of the future of the situation...) until he is sold. I started marketing him last year with mostly unsuited people contacting me about him (he's not for just any adult ammy.... Downside to advertising to a specific group is he can be spooky and is a TB; upside is that he's fancy and maybe will do the GP with someone one day... his breeding seems to eliminate most Pros and the spooking most amateurs...). His ads have been long expired and I think I want to relist him sometime soon but wondered if people were shopping still.

Spooky TB is really hard to sell for the reasons you list. I'd actually market him towards talented young riders working with a good pro, that don't have the money to buy the same horse with warmblood papers (unless you are trying to sell him at the warmblood price, then that just won't happen her in the US).

Did you export him to the U.S.? At least being a European TB would be a big plus (marketing wise) over the JC (US) TB's unless the horse looks like a thin racehorse.

Best of luck in your situation!

Comment

• Original Poster

Um, right now I think I have him priced at 1/2 what a warmblood would be with his training (based on what I was seeing on dressagedaily.com anyway). He is a JC TB but does NOT look like a TB. You would actually only know if I told you. Yes, he does need a young rider working with a pro; that would be perfect. Finding them on the other hand is another story...

Comment

Try www.dressagemarket.com. They have affordable listing prices, and have a newsletter sent to thousands of dressage people that have opted in.
        Welcome to my dressage world http://www.juliefranzen.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've been trying to sell a similar horse and having a similar problem. Only mine isn't spooky, she's small and tb (although looks/moves/acts like a small wb). Currently have her leased to a young rider that wants to be real competitive, but can't afford the horse to do it. I've tried pricing her all over the place, if I price her high I get interest from the serious dressage rider crowd (ammies and pro's, haven't had any young riders), but they mostly want a bigger horse it seems like. Then I dropped her price a ton and got all the less serious riders who think they want something with lots of training and fancy gaits, but then have a hard time riding it. Oddly enough, I get about the same amount of interest whether she is priced high or low, and more serious buyers at the higher price. The good news is, people are looking... the bad news is, buyers have LOTS of options right now and the right one for my horse hasn't come along yet! Good luck!
          Gallant Gesture "Liam" 1995 chestnut ottb gelding
          Mr. Painter "Remy" 2006 chestnut ottb gelding
          My Training Blog: www.dressagefundamentals.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, my horse isn't small (16.3) but the "athletic spook" comment sure scares people off! I've had him 5 years (I think) and have never come off him so it's not that he's dangerous and is trying to toss you... it's just kind of anxiety provoking and maddening! I got all of the emails that started "Hi, I'm an older adult amateur that just started riding/just got into dressage and I'm looking for a solid citizen to take to schooling shows, trail ride, and maybe jump a few crossrails. Would your horse work?" It's really hard to make your ad reflect what the horse is without scaring off the people that could actually ride the horse. I had him priced higher... then my move to Germany was sneaking up on me... so I lowered it and found him a lease home (with an older adult ammy but she comes from an eventing background) and gradually just let his ads expire as we felt he was on the internet too long. I am not thinking of lowering his price again when I repost him since I am tired of being in limbo but don't know what kind of response that will get me either.

Comment

Originally posted by n2dressage View Post
              Well, my horse isn't small (16.3) but the "athletic spook" comment sure scares people off!
              See, that wouldn't scare me off at all. Knowing frequency of the spook would be one thing, but I would take a horse with an athletic spook over a true bolter or bucker any day. (My horse will do a spook/bolt 4 strides and stop himself - that counts as spook but not a true bolter to me.) Athleticism and ability can have some negatives associated with them, and because of my low center of gravity (thank you, abnormally short torso!) the spin/shoot out from under you type of spook moves are pretty easy to sit. I have no desire for a true bolter whose brain just shuts off as they take off with zero control, as I want a horse who performs under pressure rather than freaking out - and it's physically MUCH harder for me to move with a bucker than a spinner.
              Originally posted by Silverbridge
              If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yeah, I've never come off him so he's not trying to lose you during his antics. He's only bolted with me once (maybe 10 strides?) and it was fairly legit because a mail truck scared the bejeezus out of both of us. He went in a straight line and stopped fairly promptly while still in the arena. He's actually never bucked or reared at all. I just got bucked off a horse here this year and after that happened I decided the leaping around spook is much better!

I always heard from people that the spook he does was the price I was paying for having a talented horse.

Comment

I think it comes with having a high energy and sensitive horse. I think your market will be smaller simply because so many people either want a horse already doing FEI or they think a WB is the only way to go. That seems the easier way to go for anyone who can't tell a horse's potential on their own or doesn't have a trainer who can tell potential shopping with them, too. There are other reasons as well, but that perception will definitely limit interest most likely.

If I were looking for a horse at that level, yours would be the type I would want to look at. I don't enjoy the less forward and less sensitive type nearly as much, and do a better job both learning on and teaching a more sensitive horse. I also want a horse who needs to be worked nearly daily if not daily and will need turnout. I'm not at that level yet, but don't see it likely things will change as I get there. My current horse has taught me that, so when I look for my next horse with potential it will be a hunt for one who is either a TB suited for the job or a WB with a lot of TB blood.
                  Originally posted by Silverbridge
                  If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

Try re-wording your ad. Mentioning anything about spooking in it would make most buyers think that he does it a LOT, and that it would make him very difficult to work with. Since he's more on the side of the sensible pansy, just wait until they e-mail to explain that he may not be suitable because he is fairly sensitive and is a bit spooky for someone looking to just plop around and be taken care of.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yeah, I don't have anything in the ad about him spooking. I say that he needs a "serious, motivated rider" and that he is being leased by an adult ammy but is not for a beginner. I do wait until they email and then I slide that spook info in there

Selling him might be asking a bit much right now since the woman that was leasing him had her daughter killed in a car wreck last week so first I think I just need to find someone to feed/ride him.

Comment

Working...
                      X