• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Bummed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bummed

Update - Post 16

My OTTB has been in training almost two years now since coming off the track. He has been phenomenal- so smart and athletic and is turning into quite a nice dressage horse. He's always been sound and happy to work and we were getting ready to start working on changes with him.

Then a couple weeks ago he contracted a virus and both hind legs blew up. He's been on antibiotics and has been cleared to back to work. Since then he looks terrible! He is hitchy and short on his right hind at the trot and is just kind of uncooridinated at the canter. It's like his front and hind legs don't move at the same pace. So far, the vets can't find anything. He appears generally comfortable (relaxed neck and ears) but is tight in his back and obviously not right to the eye. It's really weird. The two lines of thought are that it's something arthritic brought on by the cold or something neurological. We have another appt. with the vet in a week. Really worried and bummed.
    Last edited by xrmn002; Nov. 10, 2010, 11:58 PM.

Sounds neurological to me. EPM? Ya got possums around the farm?
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Not that we know of, but my trainer sat me down yesterday and basically said he didn't want to worry me without knowing what it was but he is concerned that he is showing symptoms of EPM. We are going to do additional tests and see if we can find out more.

Comment

I've always heard that it's hard to definitively diagnose EPM wuickly, so your best bet is to start the Marquis or whatever the newest treatment is right away - hope your vet weighs in on this quickly for you! I had a horse with EPM, but it was prior to Marquis being available and we used some expensive chicken antibiotic and it helped him.

So sorry, and hopefully your guy is abck to 100% SOON. Please do check into starting treatment for EPM right away....

Comment

if EPM tests are negative, sounds like it might be muscle/nerve in the region of the atlas/axis. If he hit his head in that region he could be short circuiting......................
          www.hartetoharte.org
          Ask and allow, do not demand and force.

Comment

Hope you and your vet get to the bottom of this quickly, xrmn002. Please keep us posted on developments.

It is so distressing when something is NQR and the cause is not readily evident. Best wishes to you and your horse!

Comment

I hope your guy comes thru this okay.
              Get the farrier to check his feet. Check the balance as well as for sorness. My best vet always said start at the bottom. My mare also went thru some not right stuff, needing alot of leg when she never did, short steps, and a very sore body. Turns out that her hind toes were too long, and her heels were underrun. Sometimes it's simple like that.

I also have 2 questions. How did he get dx'd with a virus? Why was he put on antibiotics?

Comment

How long has this horse been out of work? If it's been over a month, then look into upward fixation of the patella. I can't tell you just how many OTTB's I personally know of with this problem. If he was out of work for over a month you may be seeing the symptoms. We also thought my OTTB was neuro due to the incoordination in the hind legs. Also tested him for EPM, etc. A very astute and track-experienced vet realized what was going on. It will show up when the horse has been out of work and the muscles have lost tone. I hope that is all it is.

Also, any shoeing changes behind recently?

Comment

Are you in a Lyme disease area?

Best wishes for a full recovery.

Comment

If you can afford it - while waiting for EPM test results I'd get him a massage abnd chiro - feeling bad could mean he stood funny trying to feel better and ended up being stiff somewhere (think of a stiff neck we get from sleeping funny).
                    Now in Kentucky

Comment

Originally posted by dwblover View Post
                      How long has this horse been out of work? If it's been over a month, then look into upward fixation of the patella. I can't tell you just how many OTTB's I personally know of with this problem. If he was out of work for over a month you may be seeing the symptoms. We also thought my OTTB was neuro due to the incoordination in the hind legs. Also tested him for EPM, etc. A very astute and track-experienced vet realized what was going on. It will show up when the horse has been out of work and the muscles have lost tone. I hope that is all it is.

Also, any shoeing changes behind recently?
                      Wait, what?

I have never heard of this.
                      I am not disputing, I am just interested to learn more.

My TB was out of work for most of the summer because of a poorly placed cut here and a pulled shoe there, went to the vet where he was diagnosed 100% sound ...he definitely had more than a month off and I am wondering if some of the "random ailments" have to do with what you are talking about.

How do you treat it?
                      The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                      Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                      Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                      The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Just noting that patellar fixation can be independent of neuro issues, but can also be caused by neurological deficit.

So look into both. I have a mildly neurological horse that began to show patella fixation a year after his neuro issues were diagnosed.

Could also be SI joint (which can also be related--or not!--to neuro deficit. What fun!)

Basically a mild neurological deficit can cause other muscles and joints to try to compensate for muscle that no longer has nerves firing to contract it, and create some unpredictable results.

As to EPM, first get a vet who does a FULL neurological reflex test, to make sure the horse does actually have neurological deficits, before you spend the money on Marquis ($800/mo last I used it). Because most horses that test positive for EPM don't have neuro deficits, and many many horses have been exposed and will test positive without ever showing any problems. It's indeed VERY difficult to diagnose conclusively and there are other reasons for neuro deficits like cervical compression and some other more esoteric things.

Not sure why he was on antibiotics for a virus, but my one of my guys had a similiar sudden blow-up of hind legs a few weeks ago. We changed his turnout schedule and it resolved itself slowly. There's another thread on here about it, some other horses had the same thing.

Neurological deficits are diagnosed by reflex testing, not lameness testing. Ask your vet about it. They should be able to list about 5-6 different in-hand reflex tests, and what is normal and what is abnormal. If they can't give you a very thorough run-down on reflex testing, then get a second opinion from a vet with a neuro specialty or interest because a lot of vets aren't experienced enough to really see the subtle abnormalities, and quite a few don't even seem to know how to give the full set of tests. So, as some posters on COTH have noted, neuro/EPM can become a sort of "catch-all" diagnosis for "we don't know what's wrong."

Too many things, like stifle, SI, general clumsiness, can look neurologic to the casual glance, and in fact may BE neurologic, but you don't really know until you do the reflex testing. It's simple, done in-hand, and a lot less expensive than Marquis, but you need a vet who knows what they are doing.
                        Ring the bells that still can ring
                        Forget your perfect offering
                        There is a crack in everything
                        That's how the light gets in.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all your thoughts and warm wishes!

I think the antibiotics for a virus comment is my mistake. I was out of town when the legs blew up and my trainer (non-native English speaker) worked the vet. At the time I was content to trade voicemails with the vet and be somewhat out of the loop as it appeared to be a mysterious "virus" that other horses in the barn had had and recovered from quickly. Now that this hasn't completely improved and there appear to be more issues I am obviously very involved.

My normal vet has been out of the country for the past month and she will back to help us figure out next steps this week. I'm also having him adjusted and massaged so hopefully I'll know more soon! Will keep you posted.
                          Last edited by xrmn002; Nov. 3, 2010, 02:15 PM. Reason: typo city

Comment

Wishing a speedy recovery!
                            www.specialhorses.org
                            a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

Meupatdoes, I was not all that familiar with it either until it happened to my guy. Intermittent upward fixation of the patella can actually cause a horse to fail some of the neuro exams. My guy had trouble with the tail pull test and tight circles. He would drag his hind toes instead of picking them up in the circles and he was pretty easy to pull over on one side of the tail pull. Since then I have learned that dragging of the hind toes during the tight circles is not really a sign of neuro issues. Circumventing is more worrisome, where the horse swings the outside leg out and then places it down.

It's easiest to see the catching if you lunge the horse on a circle on firmer footing. While lungeing, ask the horse to canter from the trot and watch closely. You will see the leg get stuck for just a millisecond and then the horse will snatch it up quickly toward the belly. This is all fairly subtle unless the horse is severely affected. My horse only does it picking up the right lead, so you would have to lunge in both directions and watch the inside hind closely in both directions.

We treated with estrone injections for a month, plus focusing on getting the quadricep muscles more toned. Poles, hills, and asking for more collection while doing our dressage work fixed him right up. I also realized that he goes his very best when barefoot behind with a rolled toe. After all of that he passed the neuro tests with flying colors. But we also tested him for EPM in the beginning because he was suspiciously weak on that right side. I've known others who did the same thing. Based on personal experience it's quite common in TBs, especially OTTBs.

Comment

• Original Poster

Update from Vet

I wanted to give an update to everyone who weighed in and wished us well- My regular vet is back in the country and looked at my horse Tuesday. He has been steadily improving each day but was still not quite right, so I had her check him from head to toe.

Vet determined it's an issue of weakness in the muscles supporting his hocks and stifles. Since he's been sick it's been worse and she thinks it's led to added stress on these joints. We did chiro/massage and injected his hocks and stifles. He's never been injected and I'm not crazy about it, but she thought that if we can get him comfortable and using himself correctly he will be able to build up the muscles to support the joints better and will not have long-term issues.

She also thinks the clumsiness is related to weakness, not neurological issues, so keeping my fingers crossed there. She is coming back in two weeks to re-evalute. Untill then, handwalk a few days and then back to light work. Horse HATES his stall rest already. Had to go for a long walk checking out the property and eating grass tonight. : )

Comment

Well, that's a more encouraging prognosis than a neurological problem, and fixable!

Keep us posted on his progress, and good luck! I can sympathize with the "unhappy horse on stall rest" scenario. My gelding is looking at another month and a half to two months of same. He's getting very bored.

Comment

Working...
                                  X