• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Saddle wish list - recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddle wish list - recommendations?

Like many of you, I am on the hunt for a new (to me) dressage saddle. I've been looking for weeks and I'm fairly certain my SO is just as ready for the search to be over as I am - fortunately our wedding is imminent so he's tolerating the discussions.

I am currently riding in a Senior Event which while very comfortable, a) no longer fits my mare, and b) puts me in an extreme chair seat now that we've moved on to more frequent work in the sitting trot.

I am looking at used saddles - have searched just about everywhere you can think of but really need some recommendations to narrow down my search in terms of brands/models - any recommendations are appreciated.

In the past, I owned a Wintec Isabell which I actually very much loved. I have an old back injury and the Isabell positioned my back/spine/leg alignment in a very comfortable way - though I know many people don't like the model. However, I'm nervous to consider one with the mare because I believe they're built on the same tree as the saddle I currently have - the changeable gullet models from Bates/Wintec/Collegiate.

The major issue with the current saddle's fit is that it's wide enough in the gullet, but too narrow down the channel and widening it further is not going to rectify that. So, I'm looking at medium-wide to wide saddles with excellent spine clearance.

I am odd, I guess, because I don't mind large knee blocks - the saddle I'm borrowing right now has decent sized external blocks and I actually really appreciate them. I also don't mind a deep seat.

I am tall with a long inseam - so need a saddle with a flap that's going to accommodate my leg.

So -

Any recommendations for a saddle with...

-good spine clearance and wool flocking
    -decent sized knee blocks (external a plus)
    -moderate to deep seat
    -accommodating flap

...used within $1000 or under?

Or should I just resign myself to asking Santa?

Thanks in advance!
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

A Voice Halted

First, if you can work with a saddler, that really is the best way to go (but know they are hard to come by). Maybe if you posted your location you can get recommends. There are some online places that will work with you, VTO has a good saddler as does Trumbull Mountain and Custom Saddlery, but they only help with you buying saddles they have for sale.

Price is going to be your big obstacle.

You also need to specify your horse's back more: flat or dipped behind the whithers, short or long. Helps to determine if need a banana shaped, gussetted, etc. Not certain, but think your current saddle uses a V shaped gullet which helps in the search. Mentioning breed may help give an idea of what brand of saddle will fit.

Having ridden in an isabel bates, that's a medium to wide twist in the seat. I also don't think the seat is as deep as many brands.

For the horse, I know a good saddler can fit Passiers to many types of horses and the channels on them are very wide. The flaps on newer models (within the last 8 yrs or so) are very long (the GG model has 19" long flaps). But the twist is narrower and the close contact doesn't always for letting the leg hang (depends on the rider's hips and width of horse). The seat is open and not deep. The tree can be widened which helps.

You might check out Stubbens, newer ones. Some aren't very expensive and used ones are cheaper but the trees aren't adjustable.

Albions may be an option for you.

Really without seeing the horse's back (and even with it as I'm not a professional saddler) it's total guess work as to what will work on your horse. Same with you. Don't know what is optimum till you ride in it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the thorough reply!

There is a local shop here (I'm in NC) that is quite good at fitting and they have seen my mare before, so I'm going to email for some additional recommendations. What I really want to do is narrow down to brands/models that I know I may personally like - though hard to do without getting to ride in each and every one - and of course narrow *those* down further according to which would be a good fit for the mare.

She is a TB/Trak cross. She has fairly prominent withers but they're certainly not shark fin TB withers. She is fairly wide along the back which is where I think the issue is coming in with my current saddle - it fit fine when she was coming back into work and we weren't really doing anything strenuous. Now that she's been working hard all summer and really muscled up, there's just not enough clearance there and the saddle is pinching/leaving prominent dry marks despite being placed correctly behind her withers with plenty of room for her shoulders to move freely. I have not been riding in the saddle since noticing this. My saddle is 6 inches at the gullet and narrows down to two inches as you reach the back of the channel. The saddle I'm borrowing is about 6.5 inches at the gullet, narrowing to four fingers width at the channel and she goes very well in this saddle. Unfortunately a used one is way beyond my price range.

I have found several saddles on eBay that I like, for example, but when checking out the spine clearance shots, they just appear way too narrow (have noticed this with some of the older Kieffers in my price range, for example).
      Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

A Voice Halted

Comment

First off, fit the horse. If the borrowed saddle fits the mare, that's a place to start. What's the brand, tree size, seat size?

This can give a good saddler an idea of what will work for the mare with other brands. Make a list of those brands and then you can compare them to what you like.

Have a friend with same breed and she rides in an older Stubben Tristan Special (no knee blocks but nice seat for keeping rider in the pocket). The saddle does tend to slide forward on that mare so do wonder if a hoop tree (U-shape rather than V-shaped gullet design) might not work better for that horse. That said I've heard the new Stubben Genesis designs fit many horse but the trees aren't adjustable so you have to be sure it's the right size.

Thinking Albions possibility (good for wider shouldered horses). Some saddles that tend to run rather generous in the tree width department would be Frank Baines, Black Country, Albion, Passier and Arabian Saddle Co. (made by Lovatt and Rickets in the UK), Custom Saddlery. (hoop tree option in particular) are much better suited to wide backs.

Does your tack shop let you try the used saddles at all? Mine does and there are several online places that do. VTO is east coast so shipping may not be that bad. You really need to at least be able to put the saddle on the horse.

Some brands of Kiefers run wider than others but I've heard their flocking isn't that great and the seat sizes seemd small to me. You'll probably want a 18"+ long flap for longer legs but if the seat is deep you can get one size up in the seat. Be aware, if you have longer thighs, straight flaps will push your legs too far back.

Comment

County. County has helped me enormously in my training and the way my body feels.
          Kelly
          It is rare to see a rider who is truly passionate about the horse and his training, taking a profound interest in dressage with self-abnegation, and making this extraordinarily subtle work one of the dominant motivations of his life.\"

Comment

I second the County. I wouldn't trade my county for anything. I keep it around even though It only fit my old pony and not my young horse but I still like to ride in it every so often. I love love love this saddle!
            Mitkowski Equine Services
            Love my Fjord Magni "Tigger" and my HanoxTb Frescoe "Wenny" --- My boys

Comment

Originally posted by GreyStreet View Post
              -good spine clearance and wool flocking
              -decent sized knee blocks (external a plus)
              -moderate to deep seat
              -accommodating flap

...used within $1000 or under?
              strictly on these points, and in your price range (or well under):

m toulouse (wool over foam, slightly forward flap)
              county (older models in your price range not so much on the big blocks, tend to have longer flaps)
              albion (older models in your price range not so much on the big blocks, longer flaps tough to find unless you look up legends )
              hulsebos (though gullet narrows just at the wee back end, quite long flaps)
              ideal (the jessica I had wasn't the deepest seat, quite long flaps)
              black country (many models have longer flaps)
              frank baines (average flaps)
              thornhill/jorge canaves (older models iffy on spine clearance, not all have big blocks, easier to find longer flaps)
              smith worthington (not all have big blocks, many models have longer flaps)
              courbette (bernina) (not terribly long flaps but slightly forward)
              marcus krehan (external blocks, not terribly deep seat, quite long flap)
              dominus (not terribly long flap)
              silhouette (not terribly long flap)
              rembrandt (not all models have large blocks or deep seats, long flaps more common though)
              spalding
              cardanel (long flaps not terribly common)
              farrington
              prestige
              Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

ah ha, here you go (not affiliated with this ad):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123
                Being terrible at something is the first step to being truly great at it. Struggle is the evidence of progress.

Comment

Working...
                X