• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Walkie-Talkie systems for lessons: what have people tried?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walkie-Talkie systems for lessons: what have people tried?

I tried posting this in the H/J forum but didn't get many responses, so I thought I'd try posting here.

My hearing is ok, but not stellar, so sometimes I have a hard time hearing my trainer. I know it's my hearing and not her voice that's the issue. It's more of a problem outdoors when there is more background noise to filter out.

What walkie-talkie systems have people tried that they've liked? Smart-Pak has something for around $300 or so, but I was hoping to find something very basic for under $200 considering all the other horsey stuff I need to buy in the next couple of months.

My trainer uses them and they are great. For groups and clinics she uses a microphone/earpiece and the speaker system.

Comment

Got mines at wallmart, motorola, and they work really great! Don't remember the price but under 200$
      ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
      I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
      HORSING mobile training app

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by alibi_18 View Post
        Got mines at wallmart, motorola, and they work really great! Don't remember the price but under 200$
        With those systems, I'm assuming that there is a setting that allows two people to talk back and forth without having to push any buttons?

Edit: What model do you have?
        Last edited by SnicklefritzG; Oct. 10, 2010, 05:54 PM.

Comment

The 'TalkAbout' 5428, the blue ones and with head sets that has mics on. (one that goes aroung the ear for the rider and the other more comfy that goes over the head.

And yes, there is that function for those
          ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
          I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
          HORSING mobile training app

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by alibi_18 View Post
            The 'TalkAbout' 5428, the blue ones and with head sets that has mics on. (one that goes aroung the ear for the rider and the other more comfy that goes over the head.

And yes, there is that function for those
            looks like a nice and inexpensive option. Thanks again for the info. Only downside is now my trainer will be in my ear all the time when I make mistakes.

Comment

I use Eponaire. They've been great!
              jane savoie
              dressage mentor

Comment

My trainer uses a Comtec. It is great. She is able to say more because she doesn't have to shout.

Also terrific at shows because you don't have to pick your trainer's voice out from all the others.

Comment

We used one for the first time in my lesson yesterday. I liked it very much. It's not two-way, but I didn't find that to be a problem. I'm planning to get my own ear pieces at Wal-Mart for about $20.
                  Donald Trump - proven liar, cheat, traitor and sexual predator! Hillary Clinton won in 2016, but we have all lost.

Comment

If you have an unlimited calling plan on your cellphone, just get a blue tooth headset and have your trainer call you from the side of the ring. Seriously, why buy something else when this will often do? Or, if you both have two new iPods and an open wireless source nearby, you could use those (and just don't bother with the camera).
                    "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

Comment

We audited several private lessons with Jane Savioe (at another barn) and the system she uses seemed to be extremely effective.

Comment

Originally posted by walktrot View Post
                        We audited several private lessons with Jane Savioe (at another barn) and the system she uses seemed to be extremely effective.
                        That doesn't make any sense to me. If you were auditing, you would need to hear the lesson. It is not a PA system the OP is asking about, but rather a system where it's just the rider and instructor.

Also, you did not provide the name of the system. Is the OP supposed to contact Jane and try to blindly figure out the barn and the system (whether or not it's owned by JS)?
                        "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

Comment

We got a louder instructor. We call her "ALL CAPS!"
                          "Shoot low Sheriff! She rides a fast pony!"

Comment

Originally posted by Gallop~on~Grant View Post
                            We got a louder instructor. We call her "ALL CAPS!"
                            ROFL!!!
                            "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
                            "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
                            Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Comment

If you buy the type that clips onto your belt, make sure you examine the clip carefully. My old trainer had a comtec, which fastened really securely. My new trainer has a different make (can't remember which one) with a wire "paperclip"-type fastener and it's always flying off during lessons! I have to remember to wear a belt fastened super-tight to try and hold it on. It's a big PITA.

Comment

Get a tunebelt....it keeps the transmitters from flying off.
                                I.D.E.A. yoda

Comment

Originally posted by walktrot View Post

Yeah, what's this supposed to mean?

I would think these one to one systems would be fantastick for schooling at a show. I am going to have to get one of these for my trainer and me. I truly can't hear her during lessons. She also talks to me while riding my horse, or ground training my horse, and I don't hear well if someone isn't facing me. This will be fantastic. Make a nice Xmas present for her, too.

But speaking of auditing lessons, I would imagine that some of these sets come with several earpieces? I will have to investigate that. We have some guest clinics coming up, and I also wonder if there is a way to record from such a system?
                                  Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Comment

Oh - one more question from me - do these need to be voice operated transmission (VOX) in order to work hands free?

Comment

I found a selection to look at in one place (best buy) to review - here's the url and its sorted by brand name, so the accessories are all mixed in with this list.

It seems like some are voice activated, and some need you to push the button to talk. If a rider is to talk to the instructor, a voice activated system seems to be important, to me. Because I would want my trainer and I to converse sometimes, like when she is working on my horse, say ground training, and I am in the middle watching and we 'discuss' what she is doing, and then I try it myself, I think we will want a voice activated hands free type of thing.

Comment

Well here's an interesting bit of information. Two types of radios, one requires a liscence, another is very short range, family radio requiring no liscence, and there are hybrids of the two. Worth reading through to understand what you may be buying and what radio will have the features you want.

Comment

Working...
                                        X