• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Tell me your schooling schedule and routines for LL horses!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me your schooling schedule and routines for LL horses!

Hi all! I am a dressage newbie and have been working with my TB mare for about a year. We did all 4 training level tests this year and won each time with scores from 67% to 75%. Now, these we just schooling shows and I realize that if we are going to move up to first level, we have a lot to work on!

To that end, tell me what your schooling program is like for your lower level horses! I usually get one lesson per month, so much of my saddle time is on my own. I am particularly interested in exercises to encourage hind leg engagement and lateral suppleness. My mare is very, very light and soft in the bridle, so any exercises that encourage acceptance of some contact and "throughness" through the topline would be a appreciated as well!

Thanks in advance!

Pics from our show this weekend!

Congratulations! I love the first picture-I hope you're framing it

I'll wait for someone with more experience to chime in for some real exercises, but my guy is showing 1st and schooling 2nd, and I work tons on transitions and am expecting them to be crisper and sharper. I also do transitions within the lateral work (so I'll trot and do some leg yield, ask for a transition to walk while he's still leg yielding and then pick up the trot while still leg yielding) With my guy, I find that low caveletti work helps get him more active as well, especially if its spaced a little further apart.

If you are by yourself, can you have someone videotape your ride? Watch it back and get an idea of what's really missing.
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

Comment

She's lovely!

I'm no UL rider, so I'll just tell you what's working with my TB.

He isn't one where I can have a set routine I follow, so I have to go with feel. Straightness and a willingness to go forward and come back to me are THE keys for him.

I do a lot of stretchy work, because he has a tendency to tense up too much. He goes "oh, lift my back and reach forward with my legs, if I get all tense in my body I feel like I can do that more!" So I just stretch and ask him to relax and move through his back, then when I ask him to come up into contact in front by holding and using my legs, he goes "oohh, I lift myself even more now, awesome!" I swear he actually has that kind of enthusiasm.

Transitions, transitions, transitions. Within a gait, from one gait to another. Work on getting a prompt response and not having to nag. Make sure as you trot along you don't have to nag constantly, or you won't be able to easly get self-carriage and more difficult work, as you'll be putting all your effort into the basics.

He's not the best laterally naturally, so I work on just getting his body where I want it when I want it. Overbend/counterbend/proper bend and switch to squares when doing circles, working squares/rectangles where I ask him to really use the inside hind on the corner and lift around it instead of dropped onto the inside shoulder through it, with him straight on the sides, etc. I rarely ask for specific lateral movements other than leg yields, but when I return to HI/SI they are each improving from the other work we do.

Yesterday he decided to offer up a lovely collected trot when I was doing walk/trot/walk transitions - much more rocked back on his hocks than the simple "slower" I had been asking him for, though of course much nicer as well. He's also been offering (technically incorrect for showing so far, but getting the right idea) walk pirouettes when I ask him to move his shoulder - going "oh, if I rock backward I can keep walking and REALLY move my shoulder for you-but don't need to move my back legs much of anywhere besides up and down!" He's not quite strong enough for a real extended trot yet, and keeps trying to offer it up where I keep asking him not to, because he makes himself very sore if I let him work as hard as he wants. Silly workaholic!

If you don't have the feel to really get it on your own, I highly recommend 101 Dressage Exercises, and go through it with your instructor to determine which you should work on until the next lesson, and how to know you're ready to move on to others. There is a lot you can't be taught via a message board and really need that person on the ground helping you with if it's not something you already know.

Good luck! I hope you have as much fun as I'm having with my guy at the start of our journey together.
      Originally posted by Silverbridge
      If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you so much for the compliments and well-thought out replies! I see both of you recommend transitions (within gaits and between gaits) and that is something I have really started to devote some time to. In fact, last night I did some canter lengthenings for the first time! I have ridden her in my jumping saddle and done some hand gallops, but this was the first time I asked for a longer stride whilst (trying) to stay seated in the saddle!

I got 101 Dressage Exercises recently in a trade deal, so I will give it some attention soon!

TropicalStorm- I actually use cavaletti on occassion and have done some small jumps, but haven't recently since I am apparantly too lazy to set them up and put them back, LOL. I will get back on track with some of that work for sure!

netg- I am interested in the idea of riding rectangles and squares instead of just circles and intend to play with ring geometry tonight!

I thought it would be interesting to post a pic of us as a pair just about one year ago:

And this one is from one month before that (when I had just gotten her- I think this was our 3rd ride):

I think we have come a ways since then!

Comment

I recognize that "I'm not quite going to accept contact and go straight" head twist in the photo when you first got her!

My horse has a tendency to do that, particularly to the right. In his case, that happens when he's not using his back end properly and just needs to go FORWARD to get through it. It feels as if he's "stuck" and losing energy, so I just ask for forward for however long it takes to feel as if he gets that concept, then ask him to come back to me again and he is right where I want.

There are some square exercises right toward the start of the book - I don't remember if they were warmup exercises or not. My guy's right hind is his weaker, so he took some work to get him able to do turns pushing off it on a square. It lets him spend straightaways not using all his strength on that leg, yet asks him to continue to straighten and balance and build more strength on the corners. He also gets gymnastic crossrail and low vertical work, and his tendency is to always want to push off more with his left hind there, too, so of course we work on evenness and trying to get him to use both hind legs equally.

Those two older photos really show that she's quite a naturally lovely mover. What a fun project!
          Originally posted by Silverbridge
          If you get anything on your Facebook feed about who is going to the Olympics in 2012 or guessing the outcome of Bush v Gore please start threads about those, too.

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes- she is still a little "worried" about contact and has a tendency to curl up, especially if we are not warmed up and in a forward frame of mind. If I drop contact on the outside rein, she'll still cock her head a bit, but I'll tell you what: part of the reason I love TB mares so much is that sense of justice. If I do right, she goes right. If I do wrong, she's not going to cover for me, ha!

Really, though: she is one of the better-minded animals I have ever had the pleasure to work with. She loves people and is full of try. I began my dressage career with her (you can probably name about 100 flaws in my riding based on those pics that I brought from hunterland into dressageville). I am really excited about seeing where we go together!

Comment

Working...
            X