• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

40 minutes of Totilas preparation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 minutes of Totilas preparation

Greatest inspiration. What´s your opinion?

http://www.horse2rider.eu/Webnodes/e...+tr%E6net+idag

WOW! This is worth watching For me the hallmark of a truly extraordinary athlete is that s/he makes it look so effortless that (for a nano second) you can delude yourself into thinking "even I could do this" (ha-ha). Nobody makes it look effortless better than Totilas and Edward Gal And then they go into the ring and take my breath away.

Comment

Too closed in the throatlach but better work then I've seen in the past. His back looks much looser and doesn't seem so uneven behind.

Comment

Originally posted by cuatx55 View Post
        Too closed in the throatlach but better work then I've seen in the past. His back looks much looser and doesn't seem so uneven behind.
        Can we watch a video of you warm-up?

Comment

They are a phenomenal pair. They DO make it look easy, and that's what's so wonderful about it!!! Lovely, lovely, lovely…

Comment

Originally posted by cute_lil_fancy_pants_pony View Post
            Yes, I agree. I wonder if a "closed throat latch" will be the ONLY note to make...
            ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
            http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cute_lil_fancy_pants_pony View Post
              What's cuatx55's eye or expertise got to do with a warm-up video of their riding??
              ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
              ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

Some of you are unbelievable. Personally, I would cheerfully pillage and burn to have Gal's seat and incredible tact on a horse. To me this video was less about "the perfect dressage horse" (as if there is one, lol) and more about a very nice training ride and a great partnership outside of the competition arena.

What sets Toto apart, IMHO, is not his gaits. Or even his pretty face though a little equine eye candy never hurts <grin> It's his incredible temperament, high trainability and a personality (horseanality) that seems to thrive on the spotlight. He has, again JMO, an incredible mind and boundless generosity.

And you know what folks? That's a combination that's easy to mess up? Gal's light, still seat, quiet legs and soft arms makes it easy for Toto to give it his all. Which he does. Even in his corrections, Gal's practically invisible. And his expression never changes - happy, relaxed, sympathetic. Never seen any footage or stills of him look anything else but the above.

Sure you can criticize Toto. The perfect horse has never been foaled. Is he a bit tight in the throatlatch? Sure. He's a young horse and IMO some of this is a factor of his conformation. Ditto the trackup behind. He's built to sit down; extension is harder for him. So be it. Never thought dressage said "Well if you do it right you can correct every shortcoming a horse has." It can't.

Really tired of the nitpicking. Why not just enjoy this partnership? It's among the all time greats and I'd bet some of the ODGs would agree. They may not agree with every aspect of the training, but I'm pretty sure there'd be some jostling of elbows to have a "sit" on Toto.

Sue
                "Horsemanship is not merely a matter of bodily skills, but is based on scholarship and, therefore, is a matter of the mind and intellect." Charles de Kunffy

http://www.equiimages.com

Comment

Wonderful post, Sue. Thanks for focusing on what really matters and seeing the glass half full. Gal is the closest I've yet seen to someone who rides with invisible aids. The partnership between the two is nothing short of amazing! Totilas is a horse that is joyfully working to please his rider. How much more could anyone ask for!

Also love Laura Bechtolsheimer and Hojris--another lovely combination.

Comment

i agree that their warmups are super..... but i cant get that nagging idea out of my head that he uses rollkur on this very fab horse.

hopefully he stopped doing that ..... if not? i cant support him in any way : (

Comment

Originally posted by mbm View Post
                      i agree that their warmups are super..... but i cant get that nagging idea out of my head that he uses rollkur on this very fab horse.

When I saw that you posted... I just knew it would be something brilliant

Comment

Originally posted by suzy View Post
                        Wonderful post, Sue. Thanks for focusing on what really matters and seeing the glass half full. Gal is the closest I've yet seen to someone who rides with invisible aids. The partnership between the two is nothing short of amazing! Totilas is a horse that is joyfully working to please his rider. How much more could anyone ask for!

Agreed.

Lots to love about the top competitors at the WEG this year!

Comment

Originally posted by suzy View Post

Oh yeah. Laura and Hojris are lovely to watch. She's another one with a killer seat and lovely aids. This pair is right on Gal's and Toto's heels and rightly so.

Also love Peters and Ravel. Ravel is a super mover, but IMO does not quite have the "wowser" <grin> mind of Toto. He seems to be a bit more difficult and explosive IMO. Do love the way Peters rides and the joy he evinces at the end of each ride.

Guess I am into watching people enjoy horses.

Sue
                          "Horsemanship is not merely a matter of bodily skills, but is based on scholarship and, therefore, is a matter of the mind and intellect." Charles de Kunffy

Comment

If you mean rollkur in the sense of being forced into a head to chest position for eons of time - nope, don't think he does so at least with this horse. He probably uses deep riding and I'm really not against some deep riding because I think it has some gymnastic benefit to the horse if used in moderation.

Look at the horse - his neck is soft and moving, his head moves, his jaw is relaxed and mouth is mobile. When Gal gives him the reins he extends his neck and reaches for the bit. Horses who are continually "jammed" tend to have immobile, stiff necks and hold themselves with tension.

I have to judge on what I see in front of me - I see a happy, relaxed horse who is a bit of a ham, (LOL, but love this about the horse) who trusts his rider and is happy doing the work. I don't associate that with forceful riding - but I could be wrong.

Sue

Comment

there were vids from a clinic last year maybe? where he rode Totilas in rollkur. maybe not as forceful as anky and AC, but rollkur none the less.

Comment

At first I was going to write, "mbm, you need to get a life." But I don't think that you realize that you sound like a broken record and that you add nothing to the conversation. But then I remembered the oh so handy ignore button. Problem solved!
                                "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
                                "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
                                Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

Comment

I am curious about those clinic videos of Gal riding Totilas in Rollkur as well, since I just watched one of Gal doing so, on Totilas, in a 2010 clinic. Honestly, can anyone explain?? It was not simply a few seconds granted it was not for 40min straight either and did not seem as forceful as I have seen. However it was Rollkur nonetheless and it makes me wonder, particularly since Gal practises Anky's methods from what I understand, what at goes on behind the scenes. That said, I have to admit Totilas does seem soft and relaxed - I love how he sits back for the most part. There are certain flaws I do not like to see in a WEG horse however and that could possibly indicate to me fundamental 'flaws' in his overall training though. So I am asking honestly, since thus far mbm seems to be personally attacked rather than have their points addressed.
                                  ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
                                  ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

I think the point was addressed by SueL -- a horse continuously in Rollkur would not be loose and relaxed, they would hold, have tension, and when given the reins, generally not telescope their neck out toward the bit as Totilas does at any break.

I also agree with SueL that some deep work does supple the horse. Ever done yoga? That is not in a person's normal range of motion, but the stretching of muscles, tendons, etc loosens and strengthens if done correctly. If done incorrectly it can lead to injury. IMHO, the same goes for deep work in the FEI dressage horse.
                                    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

Comment

I would lean towards that direction as well fizzy, but there is also probably equal evidence that it is possible he is Rollkured.

I think that perhaps riding a horse deep - if done softly (as Gal seems to be doing in the clinics on youtube I have seen thus far) and not forcefully could be beneficial for sure...if done for say 15s at a time and only with a couple of repeats. Same as in yoga (let's not forget either that yoga is not done in motion (ie. hyperextension while walking, jogging, or running), with weight on your back, and for an extended period of time). The youtube clinic videos I have seen thus far of Totilas and Gal indicate such a (correct) use of deep however Gal being under Anky's tutelage does make me wonder about behind the scenes. Do any of us really know how these horses are trained behind the scenes??
                                      ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Comment

And maybe he is so fab BECAUSE of that method..have you ever thought of that
                                        Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive. Dalai Lama

Comment

Working...
                                        X