• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

The Press and The Tongue Biting Incident, WTH?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Press and The Tongue Biting Incident, WTH?

NOT a common incident, yet the press kind of presents it that way! Kind elastic giving contact = quiet mouth = NO TONGUE BITING. Duh!!

Where is the AMERICAN press? Hello, Dressagedaily? Where are you? Are you quiet because we are the host country, or what's the problem??? Why is it that we have to go to foreign sites - Horseandhound - to read the story? Where is Eurodressage and Horse2rider?

Anyone else ever had their horse bite their tongue? Or, anyone ever witnessed another horse bite it's tongue while ridden? I don't think it's a common occurrence!

This really is apauling, the "tongue biting" incident with Adelinde Cornelissen. If the rider had a proper connection = kind, giving, elastic hands, and had the horse over his back into a receiving hand, and not curled up, none of this would have happened.

I hope the Dutch are ashamed and embarrassed! Sadly, they probably are not, as this style of riding seems to be their national style!
    Last edited by Fantastic; Sep. 28, 2010, 11:23 AM. Reason: title

I have to agree, this sounds like a sad excuse for blood in the horse's mouth! I've been riding for 23 years and I have never seen a horse bite his own lip or tongue while being ridden. I suppose he may have bitten his lip if he was gaping his mouth open and then chomping down hard on the bit as the photos of warm-up would suggest.

Boy, I've never been an anti-rollkur person in the past, but these WEG games have really brought it to my attention. This stuff makes all of us dressage riders look so bad. I could never bring myself to contort my horse that way.

Comment

• Original Poster

A very sad excuse, indeed! I have never seen it either! The cavalier attitude of the press is nauseating. Why not tell it like it is and explain the REAL cause = hyperflexion?!?

I have yet to see such nonsense in my close to 40 years of horses. I just haven't seen this tongue biting nonsense in the multiple disciplines that I have competed in, with 24 years of that being in dressage. Good chance it happened to someone at some show or barn I was at, but I certainly can't remember.

I want to see pictures! I want to see the proof and the damage done to the tongue. If this truely is the case, she will not be riding the horse for a while!

Comment

Originally posted by Fantastic View Post
        Anyone else ever had their horse bite their tongue?
        Yes, I have had it happen once. But at this point I don't remember which horse it was, or what we were doing. (but NOT Rollkur)
        Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

I just posted the same observation over on the WEG subforum. Have *never* seen a horse bite their tongue or lip in competition or elsewhere.

I hate to jump on the proverbial bandwagon of worst case conclusions. I just don't see how this could have happened without extremely counter-intuitive stress put on her horse. What are the chances that he was moving around with pride and elegance and suddenly, d'oh, there was a lip in the way!

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
            Yes, I have had it happen once. But at this point I don't remember which horse it was, or what we were doing. (but NOT Rollkur)
            I've been riding for 48 years, have had it happen once, and I *do* remember what we were doing. It was 100% rider error. I was around 14 years old, just learning to jump, and absolutely totally missed my distance, planting my poor horse in the MIDDLE of an oxer. Poles flying everywhere. I don't know if he hit his head on a pole, or on the ground, or what, but yes he did bite his lip, severely enough to draw blood, but it healed well and quickly.

By the grace of God that was the only injury he suffered - it could have been so much worse. One pole hit me in the cheekbone and fractured it; to this day I'm so grateful that I took a worse hit than my horse did!

So it does happen, but in my experience, it's pretty darn rare.
            "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Comment

Originally posted by crittertwitter View Post
              I hate to jump on the proverbial bandwagon of worst case conclusions. I just don't see how this could have happened without extremely counter-intuitive stress put on her horse.
              Like being in a strange place at a huge international event.

FYI, horses have done a lot worse in such venues...
              "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you, Janet! This obviously DOES happen to the INNOCENT (you), but it is the GUILTY party and situation (Adelinde and hyperflexion) that seems to be subdued. If Parcival really did bite his tongue, the rough style of riding surely is a contributing factor!

Comment

Originally posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
                  Like being in a strange place at a huge international event.

FYI, horses have done a lot worse in such venues...
                  Let's see. From what I can tell: you are saying he was feeling overwhelmed by the electric atmosphere? You think that, at this point in his exposure (e.g., a number of international competitions under his girth), it's likely that he was overwhelmed by the stress of the *atmosphere* and bit his lip?

It is true that with horses anything is possible. As remarkable as they are in their self-preservation abilities, they do also find remarkable ways to hurt themselves (as do people). This case, given context photos, the 'atmosphere' doesn't seem like the most likely cause. True, though, anything is possible. It's just that this 'anything' is not likely.

Comment

I've actually seen it happen with relative frequency. Different situation, I know, but at the racetrack I can see literally hundreds of horses each and every day. And it's not *abnormal* to see a horse that has bit itself while working. Granted, I see more horses working in a 6 week period than most people do in months, but.... Just playing a bit of devil's advocate, since jumping on a bandwagon without knowing the facts just ain't my style.
                    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
                    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Comment

I've seen horses bite their tongues twice, maybe three times. Yup... talk about looking awful with bloody froth everywhere. Hey, you got a horse that chomps and chews nervously, it's going to happen now and then.
                      ::Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you::

Comment

Hmmm. I would like to think that it was just one of those innocent accidents that happens to everyone here and there. Puffy leg, must scratch, etc.

Unfortunately, the 'innocence' of it was foreshadowed by some not-so-innocent photos.

So, ok, maybe it was just a twist of karma, or fate, that he should accidentally bite himself. Not linked to rollkur whatsoever you think? OK.

ETA: Just watched his test. He looked absolutely amazing. Not very nervous. Not very responsive to the 'electricity', though. Especially as he walked out on a loose rein. He looked very attentive the whole time, very much in his element. It is very sad. I'm glad horses don't dream of gold.
                        Last edited by crittertwitter; Sep. 28, 2010, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• Original Poster

"Innocence" was taken when riders started abusing their horses like this!

Comment

I've seen it happen, and no abuse or rollkur was involved, I promise. Horse was jumping a stadium round, jumped around fine, no harsh bits or harsh rider hands from what I could see and I watched the whole round from ingate to out gate. Horse came out of the ring with blood streaming out of his mouth from a bit tongue, much worse than what I saw on the live streaming today.

Comment

I've seen it.... horse was fussing and bit her tongue in the process. Very, VERY minor cut (couldn't see it the next morning), but there was an amazing amount of blood... you'd have thought she'd bitten the end right off .
                              "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Comment

My daughter's pony did it this summer. We brought him in from Turn-out and he had blood froth in the corners of his mouth.

No idea what he did but there wasn't any rider interference there.
                                Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

Comment

I wonder if they ever checked for some sharp edge on the bits.

Comment

wouldn'tyou expect?

With all the controversy about RK,,

wouldn't you expect he Dutch to be hyper vigilant for anything approaching inhumane treatment/ techniques? Where was the groom with the everpresent towel?
                                    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Comment

MY old QH bit his toungue about an inch deep...we think he did it rough housing with another horse.
                                      Humans don’t mind duress, in fact they thrive on it. What they mind is not feeling necessary. –Sebastian Junger

Comment

I've seen it happen at least a few times - during rides, before rides, and after rides. I think it's possible he could have a busy mouth and accidentally bit the tip or side of his tongue, or it's possible he did it while he was getting ready or while she was mounted but not while they were working. If he was fussing with the bits while standing around, it could also happen. He could have gotten startled at something, moved abruptly and managed to bite his tongue that way. Many options.

Honestly, I'm a little skeptical it was caused by any harsh riding because she surely rides this way at home pretty often - so the horse's mouth is probably relatively toughened to it, and she probably knows how far she can push.

Anyway, I think it's possible it was just a tongue biting accident, but that doesn't mean I like the shots of her warmups.

Comment

Working...
                                        X