• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Should rule be changed for poll position?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should rule be changed for poll position?

If you take a look at 99% of the horses in the ring (especially at the higher levels) have their polls too low, based on the rules. Officially, the poll is to be the highest point.

What do you think should be done? Rewrite the rules to match the horses that are winning in the ring who are either broken at the third or otherwise are ridden with their poll not in the "correct" position? Or should they all just be penalized -2 per movement every time the poll stays too low?

(This is NOT a hyperflexion, rollkur, LDR, etc., discussion. This is simply about judging a head position that does not fit the rules.)

I'm afraid that if we keep allowing this stuff, our rules will no longer match what is in the ring. Like some breed hunter classes that have the rules that fit something that would look more like an open hunter show, but the horses all look like WP horses in english tack. Shouldn't there be penalties? And penalties for judges who allow it?
    "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

velvet wrote: Shouldn't there be penalties?

There are penalties. Competitors aren't getting 100% scores.

Comment

Originally posted by Velvet View Post
      This is simply about judging a head position ...
      I think that's your answer. Head position is just one of about a million things being judged. Are lots of horses poll low or "broken" at 3rd vertebrae? Sure. Do some of them have other attributes that could still warrant them a 6, 7, or 8 (uphill balance, harmonious, active hind leg, relaxed jaw, yadda yadda)? I'm guessing yes.
      From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Comment

I think correct poll position is needed for proper carriage and collection. It's too bad that the few at the top set the example for the rest of us. But now days you see alot of shortcuts leading to riding that isn't beautiful anymore. I don't think that low poll looks like one's really riding back to front.

Comment

• Original Poster

It's not true that people are being penalized, not when they're getting scores in the 80s. That's not ignoring the problem, not hitting them in the score--where it counts.

Thus the reason I started this topic.
          "And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling." - Capt Reynolds "Firefly"

Comment

well.... i think the biggest problem is education - and of course TPTB that want to make dressage "popular" ..... riding a horse from behind into a giving hand so that it can work correctly poll high is hard - and not many people here can teach it.

so i guess if TPTB want to have a sport that is believable and if they continue to want to make $$$$ then they will need to change the directives of the sport significantly.

then i think you will see a dividing of the sport into two different things... just like eventing. i kinda look forward to that day!

and i agree with PFB - 100%

oh and when what wins today gets such larger scores than even 10 or 15 years ago?? you know it is all about selling tickets and making stars of th e top riders/horses. (ie money!)

Comment

What's needed is a new official, actually many officials - I'd say at least 5 for each long side and 3 for the short sides - all equipped with stop watches who could time the duration of less than optimum poll positions. Totals could be included in the collective mark section. Ooh, ooh, I know what -an instrument that could be attached to the crown piece and especially calibrated for each horse which would keep a running tally of the angle of the poll in relation to the ground. We could get Rayers from the eventing forum to work on it.

Comment

Can someone show me the RULE that says what is the exact poll position?
                Liz Steacie
                Porcupine Hill Dressage
                Maitland, Ontario

http://www.porcupinehill.com

Comment

Originally posted by princessfluffybritches View Post
                  I think correct poll position is needed for proper carriage and collection. It's too bad that the few at the top set the example for the rest of us. But now days you see alot of shortcuts leading to riding that isn't beautiful anymore. I don't think that low poll looks like one's really riding back to front.
                  Fluffy, Many people obsess over the poll position without giving any thought to the horse’s shoulders. For a horse to move correctly, his shoulders have to be up so that he can swing his hindlegs under. A well-ridden, well-schooled horse can have his shoulders up with his poll low and be swinging nicely through his back. Conversely, a horse can have his poll as the highest point, yet be dropped in the shoulders with a hollow back and hindlegs that are not stepping underneath correctly. This hyper focusing on the poll position is a disservice to the horse. The whole body has to be kept in mind and particularly the position of the horse’s shoulders.

Comment

Originally posted by Liz Steacie View Post

Moreover....the poll as the 'highest part of the neck' worked much better when dressage horses were being bred largely from carriage horse lines......which was when the 'rule' was made!!!

edited to add - so because of the conformation of modern dressage horses the 'rule' is obsolete....but how would you word a new rule? = can of worms!!!
                    Last edited by Fixerupper; Sep. 21, 2010, 09:02 AM.
                    * <-- RR Certified Gold Star {) <-- RR Golden Croissant Award
                    Training Tip of the Day: If you can’t beat your best competitor, buy his horse.
                    NO! What was the question?

Comment

Originally posted by Liz Steacie View Post
                      FEI rule 401, .5
                      Same applied to Canada Hippique, Article E 1.2.6
                      ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
                      I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
                      HORSING mobile training app

Comment

1.3 FEI ARTICLE 401 OBJECT AND GENERAL PRINCIPLES OF DRESSAGE

EC 1.2.6: In all the work, even at the halt, the horse must be "on the bit". A horse is said to be "on the bit" when the neck is more or less raised and arched according to the stage of training and the extension or collection of the pace, accepting the bridle with a light and soft contact and submissiveness throughout. The head should remain in a steady position, as a rule slightly in front of the vertical, with a supple poll as the highest point of the neck, and no resistance should be offered to the rider.

This is not a "rule", it is, as the title says, a general principle. And, even if it was a "rule" that could be enforced, the only "must" in here is "on the bit", which is defined in the following sentences, using a whole lot of "should"s not "must"s.

Rules would have to be much more clear cut and definitive and include the penalties for not following the rules.

If a lateral walk does not disqualify one, neither should a lowered poll.

If you want to take on the general principles as rules, maybe we could start with "accepting the bridle with a light and soft contact", as I would far rather see a horse that is slightly low in the poll to one that has it's mouth twisted open and is against the hand. Too much of this, in my opinion.

The principles are meant, I believe, to guide one in one's training (and presumably, one's judging, although I don't see a lot of that!), rather than offer a rigid and inflexible set of rules that must be followed. The principles are guidelines, not rules.

Maybe there does need to be some more rules, with specific point deductions for infractions, but the way this is written, I for one would not call it a rule, and, based on my observations, neither do the judges. If you started to make rules out of the general principles, there would be MUCH lower scores!

I do believe one should read and re-read these general principles, whether you are a judge, a rider, a trainer or an interested observer, to keep uppermost in your mind these guidelines. Because they represent the "ideal". And that is what we are after :-), right?

But rules? No, I wouldn't call this a rule. Neither does the FEI or Equine Canada. The next chapter is where we get into rules.

This is an example of a rule:

3.3 VOICE
                        The use of the voice in any way whatsoever or clicking the tongue once or repeatedly is a serious fault and must be penalized by the deduction of at least two marks from the movement in which it occurs. The use of the voice will incur deduction of marks each time it is used but does not constitute elimination, nor should it be scored as an error of test or error of course. For example, a judge awarding eight (8) to a movement must deduct two (2) or more points from the given mark (e.g. 8 becomes 6, comment: voice).

If you believe that a lowered poll should form the basis for a rule, then you can write the rule (in a manner similar to the above) and submit it for consideration. It is a straightforward process, and you never know - lots of other people may also believe that it should be a rule, not just a guideline/principle.

Regards
                        Liz Steacie
                        Porcupine Hill Dressage
                        Maitland, Ontario

http://www.porcupinehill.com

Comment

Originally posted by Fixerupper View Post

Moreover....the poll as the 'highest part of the neck' worked much better when dressage horses were being bred largely from carriage horse lines......which was when the 'rule' was made!!!
                          Good Point!

Comment

Originally posted by alicen View Post
                            Good Point!
                            It worked fine for Lipizzans well before the carriage horses who became today's WBs. It still works.
                            http://TouchstoneAcres.com
                            Touchstone Acres Lipizzans, Standing N. Samira VI (Gray), N. XXIX-18(Black), more in 2014

Comment

the entire document is called "Rules for Dressage Competition"

to say that article 401 is not "part of the rules" is well..... interesting.

it gives you the entire overview of how the horse should be going - with enough flexibility to cover all levels of training.

i think you are splitting hairs.

Comment

btw: a horse can be poll high anytime the poll is the highest point... which can happen anytime the neck is above the withers.

and the reasons, as everyone knows - is because when the horse is working correctly he will be poll high with nose slightly in front of the vertical etc etc. it is the result of correct riding and why it matters.

Comment

Originally posted by mbm View Post
                                  the entire document is called "Rules for Dressage Competition"

to say that article 401 is not "part of the rules" is well..... interesting.

it gives you the entire overview of how the horse should be going - with enough flexibility to cover all levels of training.

i think you are splitting hairs.
                                  With all due respect, “Rules for Dressage Competition” is the name of the entire document, but Liz is referring to this particular section which is titled:

1.3 FEI ARTICLE 401 OBJECT AND GENERAL PRINCIPLES OF DRESSAGE

I would emphasize the "Object and General Principles" and do not think Liz is splitting hairs. If people take this to heart, there will be a lot less angst. Of course, we all want to ride our horses in a way that is best for them and adheres to agreed upon training practices, but I think there are aspects of riding that should not have hard and fast rules. I'm totally okay with the rule about using one's voice and others like it. However, insisting that a horse's poll is always the highest point is bound to lead to problems both in the training and competing as people desperately (especially the less skilled/less educated) endeavor to do this.

I'm sure you are familiar with repetitive stress injuries. Keeping a horse in one posture all the time will lead to this type of injury. Horses are athletes in the same way as humans and need to stretch and contract their muscles in different ways throughout the training session to strengthen, elasticize, gymnasticize, and avoid injury.

Comment

Originally posted by TouchstoneAcres View Post
                                    It worked fine for Lipizzans well before the carriage horses who became today's WBs. It still works.
                                    The Lipizzan mares are used as carriage horses. Technically Lipizzans are carriage horses.
                                    Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
                                    -Auntie Mame

Comment

agree with Velvet

My understanding and observation at lower level shows/rides is that the poll is to be the highest point and a score of '5' or below is given for any movement where the poll is too low - I've seen it on friend's tests (for one movement usually, not the whole test). Perhaps of interest, several times I have seen it called out at 2nd level in the halt/reinback.

So I am agreeing a low poll should be marked down, although it is often associated with behind the vertical (BTV) nose - which I have seen both criticized and praised by different judges. So I would REALLY like to have a RULE that would define it out more clearly.

Otherwise, why bother with the guidance? (or perhaps that is the point of this topic).
                                      Forward...go forward

Comment

Alpha Mare,

I think it might be a matter of degrees when it comes to scoring horses for being behind the vertical.

If the horse performs large segments of the test behind the vertical then, yes, it should be heavily penalized. There are obviously fundamental problems with the horse's basic training or the rider's style of riding...or both.

But, some judges IMO go overboard. If the horse momentarily goes BTV here and there, it's appropriate to comment, but I don't think a score of 5 or lower is fair if the work is otherwise extremely good. A well-trained, experienced judge will know whether there is something inherently wrong in the horse's training, bad riding, or just a momentary bobble. To create a rule in which a horse must automatically be given a score of 5 or lower for any BTV moments completely ignores other aspects of the ride that may be stellar and deserving of good scores. And, this is why I think Liz is on the right track in pointing out the section "object and general principle." By all means, the judge should be clear on the object and general principles but have the good training to score the horse appropriately.

Comment

Working...
                                        X