• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How do you avoid crazy buyers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you avoid crazy buyers?

When you listed a horse for sale on dreamhorse, etc how do you avoid all the crazy buyers? Such as people saying they have the money for boarding but can't pay for the horse, or offering an outrageous low amount?. Or those folks that expect a horse to jump, etc even though add says the horse is green and lists what the horse can do.
    Also are there any websites for dressage horses/hunter-jumper horses that aren't main stream like dreamhorse or equine.com.I want show riders/etc people and not trail riding women in their 50's replying to an ad about a show horse gelding. Where else can I put him up? He is one of those good as gold ones as a babysitter type. Asking very low amount for him.
    So how do you get the buyers to respond, the ones who actually ride english and understand horse is worth more than the asking price. I know it's an option to put horse in full time training on consignment but that's not really an option right now and since there a young trainer working with horse, but she has no horse selling experience, and owner doesn't want horse in additional training before selling. Any way to consign with sale percentage without training+board at trainers facility?

Originally posted by moonlightride View Post
    Any way to consign with sale percentage without training+board at trainers facility?
    Sell horse to trainer to "flip"
    The journey is the destination.

Comment

• Original Poster

How does that work? Trainers haven't called about buying the horse. They usually buy from word of mouth, at least the real trainers. The other type of trainer, so called trainers expect to get free horses handed to them, the average Sally that hangs up a lesson sign.

Comment

As for your original question, basically you don't. Or anyway, I have yet to find the trick. You make your ad as specific as possible, but online ads always get tire kickers or other time wasters. Personally I have better luck with print ads in regional publications, which at least have the benefit of requiring people to stop into a tack shop or have a subscription.

And yeah, IME unless your horse is fancy enough and your asking price is low enough that a trainer thinks they can make a nice profit, it will be hard to find someone to buy him to flip him unless they specialize in that. You could ask around and see if anyone does that type of thing, though.
        exploring the relationship between horse and human

Comment

If the horse is a warmblood, you might want to try www.warmbloods-for-sale.com. That will at least narrow your audience a bit.
          Topline Leather -- Bespoke, handwoven browbands & accessories customized with Swarovski crystals, gemstones, & glass seed beads. The original crystal braid & crystal spike browbands!

Comment

You can't. You just have to deal and weed them out.

Comment

• Original Poster

Please give me some websites that most people who offer $500 for horses don't frequent or know about. I will keep ad on dreamhorse, but perhaps should post in some spots where show people or dressage people are more likely to look. It might take longer to sell on a less known website or publication, but might be better to find genuine buyers on there. So I am asking what are some other online options and publications, etc to sell a horse?

Comment

Is this hard a member of a registry? many registries have a classified section (so if he's hanoverian, oldenburg, arabian, etc.. that is one way).

Comment

Take a long hard look at your ad. You may be pitching the horse wrong if you are getting the wrong kind of buyer.

And there's always the "delete" button.

Oh, and a horse could do worse than end up with a 50-something trail rider, you know.

Comment

I have sold horses for decent prices through dreamhorse and equine.com and have had, of course, a couple crazies but mostly great buyers. I don't think there is a way to avoid them. If you're getting a lot of these people, maybe he is priced too low. I think the low priced horses draw out people who start asking/expecting ridiculous things.

Also, I agree that someone who wants to trail ride, etc is a fine home if they are willing to spend the money and would offer suitable care. A horse doesn't feel the urge to show - I think they'd be just as happy to relax in the pasture or go on a quiet trail ride.

I sold one horse to someone who intended to show and has only ended up going to a little schooling show once (she's had him over two years now). So the buyer who intends to show can end up with different priorities.

Comment

I have a very simple solution for avoiding crazy horse buyers. I never sell a horse! LOL!
                      Donerail Farm
                      www.donerailfarm.com
                      http://donerailfarm.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Actually the trail ladies expect a green horse who's not even described as a trail horse, to be bombproof totally push button. And these ladies say they have property, etc but want the horse for free. I've had emails where they describe how good they will treat the horse, how nice their property is, and horse has to be free or $500.
                        I've even had emails from people telling me they rescued a horse or all there horses were free, so they feel like I need to sell this horse for free to, etc, etc.
                        And then there's the folks that negotiate on the first line of the email without even calling or chatting about the horse.
                        So yes I really want to market towards hunter/jumper, dressage/and show folks and more serious riders.

Comment

I would do up an email with links to photo/video and email it to the barns in your area.

Cheap horses can bring out the most unrealistic expectations.

I had two here recently and had people threaten me when I wouldn't let them come look at them, despite the fact I was trying to keep them from making the mistake of buying a super green horse for a super green rider. they just felt insulted.

The one that slipped through the cracks was mad at the owner as the horse wasn't trained as much as she had said (horse was advertised as green with 7 weeks pro training...I could walk/trot/canter and trot jumps on it) because miss can't post couldn't ride the horse.

Ended up selling both sight unseen to experienced homes (off of video).
                          Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

Comment

I have the opposite problem - how does one buy a horse without dealing with crazy owners? They tell you the horse is 16 hands and if it's 15 hands that's a generous measurement. They want a fair amount of money for a horse that hasn't been ridden in 2 years, is out of shape and other than being "trail safe" has little real training. Horse also drives except there was a mishap and it doesn't drive anymore. The list is endless. Sometimes I can figure it out by talking to them but usually I have to waste a day looking at horses that are not as advertised. (Did I mention that I hate horse shopping?)

Comment

it is the reason that agents charge the exorbitant prices they do for buy/sell
                              * <-- RR Certified Gold Star {) <-- RR Golden Croissant Award
                              Training Tip of the Day: If you can’t beat your best competitor, buy his horse.
                              NO! What was the question?

Comment

I don't think you can prevent them from contacting you, just weed them out once they do.

For emails that are unrealistic, simply don't answer them.

I talked to folks on the phone, tried to find out about them and then told them honestly if the horse was a match or not.
                                I have horse to sell to you. Horse good for riding. Can pull cart. Horse good size. Eats carrots and apples. Likes attention. Move head to music. No like opera! You like you buy.

Comment

Raise your price.

No, seriously.
                                  2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Comment

I could share with you the story of "the humper" or how about the woman who punched, yes, closed fisted punch a horse in the face that she came to try. I've got stories......and I have only sold a couple horses. I can't imagine people who make their living in horses. There should be a book put together but those outside of horses would think its fiction!!
                                    There is a reason that the windshield is larger than the rear view mirror!

Comment

Originally posted by TheHorseProblem View Post
                                      Raise your price.

No, seriously.
                                      Absolutely. There are weird buyers at all levels, but the low end (free/cheap horses) seems to bring out extra of them.

Comment

Try dressagedaily.com. They seem to cater to serious buyers/sellers.

Comment

Working...
                                        X