Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Stirrup irons and leathers for adult beginner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stirrup irons and leathers for adult beginner

I've been riding for a year now and am going to start part-boarding my schoolie, a 16'2 OTTB big mover gelding. I am mid-thirties but ran cross-country competitively growing up which really did a number on my joints.. especially hips, knees, and ankles. I've talked to my trainer (who is also the BO) and she is ok with me getting my own stirrup irons and leathers. My schoolie currently has regular fillis irons.
    I have NO inclination to jump but once I'm a more experienced beginner I would look to dressage. I also don't plan on competing... perhaps local school shows but that's the long and short of it.

I've done a fair amount of research both here (so much info here!) and elsewhere online and am leaning towards safety stirrups. Specifically, either FreeJumps (likely the Pro+) or Tech Venice Sloped.

I likely will order from some place in Canada so I'm including the links here from a local tack shop for reference:
    Venice Sloped: https://calgarysaddlery.com/collecti...loped-stirrups
    FreeJump Pro+: https://calgarysaddlery.com/collecti...p-pro-stirrups

I am 5'10.5" and have long legs. I think the Pro+ are the best suited FreeJump style because of my height/weight/shoe size. If another style is better I would love that feedback. The Venice Sloped are also very nice (I much prefer the look of them) but I cannot seem to tell how "good" they are for minimizing impact/joint pain. I also get foot cramps pretty regularly (not just riding... generally in life!) so if that is an important decision factor and you have thoughts, I'd love to hear them.

The other side of the equation is the stirrup leathers. If I go with the Venice Sloped they indicate they can be used with any leathers. I've done some research there, too, and the Nunn Finer seem to come highly recommended. If there's another kind to strongly consider I would love to hear about them. If I go with the freejumps it looks like they have fancy proprietary ones (a style for the Pro+ and a style for classics). I've seen reviews that you don't NEED to get the special leathers but I'm curious if the Freejump branded ones have something wonderful going for them that justify the price premium.

So with all that rambling... Any feedback/advice is appreciated!

PS - I know that neither of these are geared to dressage, but I did see a number of positive reviews for them here in the dressage section of COTH!

leathers are pretty much leathers. I dont think you can go wrong with a name leather like Kieffer or Stubben or Bates. Leather only would be my choice I would not bother with nylon lined etc. Since you are undecided at this time go with brown to match the saddle you are riding in now

With safety stirrups , since they have and inside and outside, you will want to rotate your leathers periodically.

I have no experience with flexible stirrups and kind of gasped at the prices being listed on your site. Others with more join issue experience might be able to chime in the the more conventional flexible stirrups. They have benn around a long time and you might do better trying one of the more common one at a better price point. You might get a little more traffic and input in the hunter forum. OF the 2 you show I would go with the more conventional Venice. For showing ( even schooling hows) the other ones might get looked at a second time
    _\\]
    -- * > hoopoe
    Procrastinate NOW
    Introverted Since 1957

Comment

Original Poster

Thank you for your response! As I'm pretty new to this forum, I wasn't sure if cross-posting is generally acceptable. Keep in mind the prices on the site I linked to are in CAD, but yes, they are pretty expensive. I'm pretty bent on having safety stirrups and of course all the online research I've done often points to the most $$$$$ ones as being "best" - but since I'm not BUYING a horse right now I feel some latitude in spending more money than likely is wise on some equipment designed to keep me safer AND hopefully save my joints with wear and tear

Comment

I shattered my ankle 20 years ago and have found that the Herm Sprenger Bow Balance or their newer Flexcite stirrups are hands down the most comfortable and flexible stirrups. I used to limp around the whole day after riding in plain metal ones, and with these, I can ride two horses 6 days a week and be completely pain-free. They are pricey, but worth every penny not to be in pain and not be limited by the rigidity in my ankle.

Comment

Original Poster

Thank you for your input! These Herm Sprenger products don't look like they come in a safety stirrup option - does the shape of them offer the protection from getting your foot caught?

Comment

I found the Techs uncomfortable under my foot, I find the Acavallo safety stirrups much more comfortable (and they are cheaper!) I haven't tried Freejumps.

Comment

Acavallo opera stirrups

Comment

Original Poster

conniemary were you able to identify why they were uncomfortable under your foot? Or conversely, why you found the Acavallo safety stirrups more comfy? I had looked at them but didn't see reviews that they were designed to minimize joint pain.

Highflyer I would 100% buy the Opera stirrups today but they don't appear to have a safety release mechanism which is on my "must have" list.

Comment

You're right-- I mixed them up with the safety ones.

Comment

Look into the "stability" stirrup leathers. The top part of the stirrup strap on top is wider, and my pair (Millbrook, all leather) have really cut down on my teacher yelling at me about my drifting lower legs. My legs are happier with these leathers.

I love my Tech Venice sloped irons. For once in my life I don't have to keep worrying about where the stirrup irons are on my feet, in fact I can ignore these irons completely as I ride. I really like the slope since my ankles tend to break to the outside in "normal" stirrup irons, and I do not have that problem in these stirrups. I also see no way that my foot could be caught up in the stirrup if I fall off.

Comment

I love my Free Jumps. I got the kid-sized ones and they are okay for my foot size (7.5) but I would probably order the adult size next time. I do not like a lot of excess height in the branch and ordering the kid size helped with that. They have a nice, grippy tread and I feel safe in them since they have a flexible arm to let go of the foot in a fall. They are kind of a pain to manage when you aren’t in the tack (they don’t fold so you have to let them hang, or cross them over your saddle and risk scratching it), but they are super easy to remove and put back on. I have gotten some comments about how ugly they are, but I don’t mind the aesthetic and ugly is fine if comfortable and safe!

Comment

Original Poster

Jackie Cochran I have been looking at stability leathers - that is definitely the way I will go, thank you! And thanks for the review on the tech venice sloped. I'm considering them more and more.

ExpialidociousOTTB I saw someone mention they use the velvet bags that Crown Royal comes in as stirrup covers... I am thinking I'll buy a couple bottles as Christmas presents and keep the bags for myself

So, further investigations show that the Ophena stirrups ship to Canada now. They are REALLY interesting and I'm going to research more. I think right now my top 3 are:

1. Tech Venice Sloped
                        2. Samshield Shield'rup https://www.samshield.com/en/collection/shieldrup/
                        3. Ophena S https://ophena.com/products/ophena-s...31902996004962

Comment

One thing I considered when I ordered my Tech Venice Sloped irons was how easy it would be for my foot to exit the stirrups for the next time I fall off (hopefully never, lol.)

One reason I ended up hating the old type Peacock stirrups is that sometimes it was hard for me to get my foot out of the stirrup when I dismounted, the outside upward prong to which the elastic sides attached sometimes made it hard on me to get my foot out easily when I dismounted. Since I have MS sometimes it is hard for me to get all parts of my body exactly right for dismounting.

Though I liked how the Samshield's open at the bottom, there is that outside upward projecting piece just like the Peacocks have.

As for the Ophena stirrups, they look really neat but I just like having SOMETHING on the outside of the stirrup so my foot can tell when it has gotten way too much to the outside, which happens more frequently than I desire. Plus the fact that the eye for the stirrup leather is not across the top of the stirrup, I tried stirrups with eyes somewhat like that and I ended up with bony exostoses on both my shin bones since the edges of the stirrup leathers were hitting there. I am weak in the saddle, and being able to wrap the stirrup leather across my shin bone really helps me with keeping my lower leg stable. Sometimes my body "yells" at me, and it "yelled" at me about the Ophena stirrups when I looked at them on-line. Since you do not have MS this probably won't matter to you as much as it did for me.

I am old fashioned. Before I found out about the Tech stirrups on this forum my favorite stirrups were the ancient double offset Prussian-sided stirrups that were around 50 years ago (all my Fillis stirrups were destroying my feet). Since the top "bell" of these Prussian sided stirrups is so high my feet had no problems getting out of the stirrups the last time I fell off a horse.

But since I found the Tech Venice Sloped stirrups my feet are happy, my shin bones are happy, and I am happy. I'm glad I could afford them because their cost hurt. I FINALLY found a safety stirrup that made my feet and legs happier than the old-fashioned ones I was using, and one that is safer for me to use than the Peacock safety stirrups.

Since you do not have my physical problems by all means get the stirrups that suit you best. I was just explaining why I chose the Tech Venice Sloped safety stirrups over all the other ones.

Comment

Original Poster

Thank you Jackie Cochran for your detailed explanation, I really appreciate it.

With the Ophenas I am concerned that since I'm still a beginner I may not have a stable enough leg yet to keep my foot fully engaged in the correct position (without that outside bar). I don't have problems dropping my stirrups before dismounting but that is something else to consider, thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by MissusS View Post
                              conniemary were you able to identify why they were uncomfortable under your foot? Or conversely, why you found the Acavallo safety stirrups more comfy? I had looked at them but didn't see reviews that they were designed to minimize joint pain.
                              I think it was the actual footbed, it made my foot sore on longer rides. The Acavallo arenas have a different tread, which I find more comfortable. They also have a wide base (or a longer base? it's longer front to back, not side to side) so there is more to support your foot. I don't have joint pain but people who do like this aspect.

Comment

If you're interested in stability leathers, another brand to check out is Total Saddle Fit's leathers ~ they have regular as well as the buckle at the bottom (they call those "Slim" Stability Leathers). The wider leather helps increase stability so that there is less movement and swing: https://www.totalsaddlefit.com/shop/...rrup-leathers/.
                                www.dressageclinics.org

Comment

I'll second the TSF Stability stirrup leathers! As an adult re-rider it's frustrating to feel my body lose the strength to hold proper form at the end of my rides. The stability leathers provided a measurable increase in my lower legs stability, ie I was able to center 3 rounds in good form rather than only 1 or 2 the first time I rode in them.

As for stirrups I too really wanted freejumps, I tried the kid sized (called freejumps pro lite I believe) and while I loved them they were too small to be safe (weird since I'm also a 7.5). I was also worried about the safety aspect of having the opening of the branch in the outside ( stories of people getting reins etc caught in them).

I ended up buying Safestyle stirrups instead ( much more budget friendly even with overseas shipping) they were the only offset eye safety stirrup I could find in my price range and they have a 'faux-fillis' looking one I wouldn't be afraid to ride in for a dressage lesson. No idea if you can show in them. The safety mechanism is on the inside which seems slightly safer in my mind.
                                  A student in all things.

Comment

MissusS I was on this same search (safety stirrups with better joint comfort), and I tried the Acavallo Alupro. Absolutely wrecked my knees after one ride - I think the metal cheese grater pad was just too much for me. I ended up with MDC Ultimate stirrups, which I love. I have MDC Comfort stirrups on my Dressage saddle, and they have always been great for me. I was hoping to get something lighter with more safety features than the MDCs (they are 2 lbs each, so that is a valid consideration). However, it ended up being crucial that I have an angled stirrup and a softer footbed in order to enjoy my rides. While I haven't had to test it, in the event of fall, the MDCs are jointed (Ultimates) and can be angled out better, so I suspect my foot would not get stuck as easily as as traditional stirrup. I may consider FreeJumps myself when I am actually jumping at higher levels and a lighter stirrup may be more important. Note: You could also look at extreme lightweight stirrups, too. I have a pair of Compositi's that I use in the rain, and they haven't ever given me knee pain. I have been tossed in those, and my feet came clean out.

Comment

Original Poster

Thank you everyone for chiming in! I'm seriously considering the TSF Stability stirrup leathers. They show a ship time of 3-4 weeks, so I'd like to order them soon. I am also 90%+ convinced on the Samshield Sheild'rups, the only hesitation being they are sold out pretty well everywhere! I can only find them in a few places for an obscene markup (OR with $100+ shipping charges). A local tack shop thinks they will get an order in late Oct or early Nov. Sounds like the manufacturer hasn't been able to produce them. Fingers crossed.

Comment

I'm a fan of the Venice Techs. Admittedly, I'm also a fan of plain ol' Fillis irons, so YMMV. The Techs have a wider footbed and more grip, so they're very stable. I personally detest anything that flexes.

They do come in sizes (there's a children's pair at my barn), so if the 4 3/4" is what's holding you back, it's worth hunting around to see if they make a larger size as well.

Comment

Working...
                                        X