• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse in Bosal/Dressage Rider = Clueless (Help!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horse in Bosal/Dressage Rider = Clueless (Help!)

Strange post, not quite sure where to put it so bear with me...

Trying to help a client finish up a 7YO mare. She's green broke under saddle, excellent ground manners, very sane, very responsive. Due to previous training she will not accept a bit. She fights the concept and abhors any contact, to the point of rearing on one occasion. She is ridden with a bosal.

Went out to test her today. Can pace her with my seat alone, she doesn't really neck rein but does fine direct reining (as much as one can do in a bosal), very responsive to the legs and seat. She does your basic greenie stuff: unbalanced, rushes her corners, doesn't bend, drops her shoulder, etc.

So I believe I have two completely different 'issues' here. The first of which is to find a proper bit for her, get her comfortable with the idea and then introduce her to contact. The second will be dealing with all of the above mentioned/usual green issues. I feel that once we have the bit in her mouth, the only 'schooling' that should be done is simply in accepting the bit --not necessarily 'using' it to correct any other issues for the time being. I don't want to overwhelm her in using the reins as an aid when she's not completely comfortable with its physical presence.

I also know that I will be making a few rides before we are even able to tackle the bit issue, so I would like to start working on the other things, but I honestly feel like half a rider without being able to use my hand and have contact. (I readily admit I have no training/real experience with the bosal!!) I'm not a heavy handed rider and am quite confident dropping the reins on my horses, but not only am I lacking any kind of connection there, I can't even have any kind of contact with the bosal.

For example, the dropping of the inside shoulder:
    I tried to engage the outside hind, but not being able to push it towards a bit, I tried to lift it up into my seat while holding her steady with my legs and giving her a straight body (mine) to mirror but no deal. Very, very *minor* improvement when there was any at all. What can I do to help her?

I'd love to switch her to a bitless bridle of sorts for the time being, but as I said, contact in and of itself is an issue. She understands the concept of pressure on the ground, will give to the reins momentarily, etc --someone just laid down on her mouth (thank you Western performance trainer) and she is hella terrified of contact.

Okay, please ask any questions necessary, I'm just racking my brain here and wanted to bounce some ideas off of other horse people...

Thanks!
    Laura

Step 1: Ditch the bosal, get a sidepull!
    Step 2: Ride completely in sidepull until horse learns basic commands in it.
    Step 3: Put headstall w/ bit under sidepull, NO REINS. Let horse simply carry bit while riding in sidepull.
    Step 4: Add a pair of reins to bit. So now one set of reins for sidepull, one set of reins for bit. You're a dressage rider, you can handle double reins right?
    Step 5: Ride completely off sidepull, no contact at all on bit. Simply hold reins.
    Step 6: SLOWLY introduce contact on bit. SLOWLY wean contact off sidepull.

( And not all western trainers are like that [although perhaps that's not what you were implying]. My trainer is primarily western and is much kinder to his horses than the Dressage trainer at my previous barn. At least he doesn't HAUL the horse's head side-to-side and call it suppling. )
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by sublimequine View Post
      ( And not all western trainers are like that [although perhaps that's not what you were implying]. My trainer is primarily western and is much kinder to his horses than the Dressage trainer at my previous barn. At least he doesn't HAUL the horse's head side-to-side and call it suppling. )
      No, no, not implying that at all. I think I've met many more scary Dressage 'trainers' than Western performance trainers

I shall humbly suggest a side pull and see how that goes. I'm just fearful that no tack stores in the area will carry one --oh well, perhaps I can convince her to express order one.
      Laura

Comment

well i'll ditto goign into a side pull- (and i'm not one who will say that). and work to find a bit she'll like- introduce contact on the lunge line-w ith side reins (elastic not donut if it was me- and starting with just ONE side rein when you introduce them so she can start to gain trust in the bit/contact.

it can be done- it can take years- just to get the horse comfortable with the bit- if there is a major mouth issue to fix (of course checking dental etc first!) the big question is this mare worth the time/effort to get her in a bit if it doesn't come around shortly???
        Qualified Saddle Fitter with the S.M.S.
        www.ravenwoodaussies.com

Comment

• Original Poster

She's worth it to me as long as the owner wants to invest the time/money into her and she is making progress

Still wondering though about my shoulder question... even with the sidepull, I won't be able to take the contact that I would usually have to help straighten her out. Any suggestions until contact is made? I suppose I'll at least be able to lift that rein with the sidepull but I'm wondering if that will be enough.
          Laura

Comment

Originally posted by DailyNhtly View Post
            No, no, not implying that at all. I think I've met many more scary Dressage 'trainers' than Western performance trainers

I shall humbly suggest a side pull and see how that goes. I'm just fearful that no tack stores in the area will carry one --oh well, perhaps I can convince her to express order one.
            Is it a primarily english area? If so, yeah, finding a sidepull can be hard. But most western stores will have one.

If you want to find one online, you can get them quite cheap:

horse.com: http://www.horse.com/products/gift-0__sku-WQA10.html
            Smith Brothers: http://www.smithbrothers.com/product...cd2=1200201049

Or if you want a leather one..

Rods: http://www.rods.com/p/423,129_Single...Side-Pull.html
            Jeffers: http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/pro...&pf_id=0026553

If the owners are concerned, I'd let them know a sidepull is as gentle (if not gentler) than a bosal.
            Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Comment

Try putting a snaffle on with a headstall while she eats. Put it on for maybe 1/2 hour at a time with a little grain in her bucket in a stall. Or put molasses or honey on the bit before you put the bit in her mouth. Short, sweet intervals with an eggbutt french snaffle maybe three times a day. Add very long side reins to a surcingle and do the same thing after a few days.

The side reins and lounging until you know she's not going to panic and rear. Always good to let the horse figure that one out on their own first.

Bosal (a narrow bosal) with its headstall is designed to carry a headstall over it or under it (I don't remember, but you get the idea) when you introduce a spanish spade bit (not recommended - joke), but that being the case you should be able to introduce a snaffle and headstall (as in single strap) into the whole get up and begin playing with the reins a little while you are on her and go back and forth between the bosal and the bit/reins.

Bosal is a pretty good piece of equipment if its used right. A lot like a snaffle in some ways. Horses can flex with it and feel pretty comfortable being pulled around and shown where you want their front end to be going while you try to get their rear end under them. Halting, precise forward transitions, same stuff really.

Never as good as snaffle with a correct contact, but a start because that is where you are stuck starting.

Comment

In case you want to continue using the bosal for a bit of time, it does work in a similar fashion to using a snaffle. There are four, basic areas of pressure with the bosal...the poll, the bridge of the nose, and either side of the nose. You do not want to keep a constant pressure on any of these points, and especially across the bridge of the nose as a constant pressure there will dull the horse to the effect of the bosal to the point she might run through it. When you are using the bosal, you want the horse to move away from its pressure. For instance, working on pressure created by taking the inside rein means that the pressure is being applied to the outside of the horse's head. You would be working from inside leg to outside "pressure point." When you "take" the outside rein of the mecate, you are creating a "pressure point" on the inside of the horse's head, which means you are working from outside leg to inside "pressure point." This is also how you use the snaffle, i.e. utilizing the effect on a particular diagonal pair, held between pressure point and your diagonal seatbone. The "stopping" effect of the bosal works a little differently than the snaffle in that the pressure across the bridge of the nose usually drops the nose a bit faster while at the same time creating the pressure in the poll. You are trying to teach the horse that poll pressure means for it to flex its head, and you should be riding the horse forward from your seat when you use this action of the mecate. Hope this helps you a bit get the idea. In the meantime, you need to get this mare's mouth checked by someone really competitent. Mare's can get hidden wolf teeth, too.

Comment

Are there no Western training forums? Or does everyone just think that if their horses don't like having their mouths being pulled on, that dressage riders sure would know how to make them accept it?!
                  "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

Comment

for a horse that doesn't like contact or a bit. i don't feel the answer is avoiding using a bit, rather, just giving the horse a chance to get used to the bit, but I'd also get the horse's teeth checked to be sure there's nothing wrong there.

alot of old timers would put a bit on the horse and just leave it on her 24/7. let them eat, drink, and be ridden in it. it's important to put the bit on so it's in a fairly steady position and not hanging out too much where it can catch on something or wobble around, many horses are far more bothered by a loose bit or one that's too low in the mouth. a thin bradoon carrier strap does a good job of holding the bit safely. an english style snaffle with small rings will usually fit well with a bosal.

occasionally, use it to turn or position her head a little bit when you're leading her or moving her around in her stall (no reins on the bit yet), then give her a piece of sugar and pet her. that's basically what the old style western trainers used to do, just let the horse get used to the bit. it was more for horses that hadn't been handled much but works with a horse that doesn't seem to like a bit.

horses have a lot of reasons for giving people the impression they 'don't like the bit'. they're just green and it's normal to champ or fuss a bit, they're fresh from too little work, or the rider's hand is unsteady...some horses get very fussy if ridden on a loose rein (the rider's rein signals 'bump' their mouth now and then, and come as a surprise to the horse), or if they are not moving forward enough.

and i think some people just are uncomfortable with putting a bit on a horse so if anything goes wrong, they want to use something else.

Comment

First thing, if you haven't already, get a really good vet/dentist out to thoroughly check out the mouth,gums,teeth. For such an extreme reaction, it's certainly a possibility. Does she have wolf teeth?

Annual floating won't necessarily find a problem.

It's an old saw but true, rule out the physical problem first, if you haven't already done so.

Comment

DEFINITELY get a GREAT dentist to check that horse's mouth. I have been around mares with hidden wolf teeth. VERY painful situation for them.

And as for a bosal. I have trained MANY nice horses starting with a bosal. Part of the learning process is to add a snaffle under the bosal (if it is a good fitting and well designed bosal -- not one of the $10 kind you find at the local tack store).

Once you have made sure pain is not an issue, let the horse just carry the snaffle as you work in the bosal. Remember the bosal works with just a touch and let go. You use your legs to help them to learn to carry themselves. Again, touch and let go. No steady constant nagging. Some of the best horses I have had the joy of riding were started on the bosal.

After the horse is happy with just carrying the snaffle, add a rein and use it in conjunction with the bosal until the horse is happy with the touch on the mouth. You can do some ground work with this combination as well. Gradually add contact like you would with a baby horse startingn out.

Comment

make sure your bosal is adjusted correctly,, you can have LOTS and LOTS of influence with it.. it just takes practice!! PM me if you would like.. we used to ride all our ranch horses in bosal only,, my Grandfather's theory was "if you had to work your a## off all day, would you want the bosal or carry a bit?" he was a minimalist,, and I bless him every day for that.. he taught me more than he will ever know!!
                          "Energy efficient vehicle. Runs on grass and oats. CAUTION: Avoid exhaust!"
                          I think we should eat trolls.
                          Troll meat. Now that's good eatin'.
                          by Hiddenlake

Comment

Working...
                          X