Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Gray show jackets that won't break the bank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gray show jackets that won't break the bank?

And go! (TIA )
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

I got a very nice grey jacket from FairPlay.... https://equizoneonline.com/collectio...ladies-jackets Be sure to look at the measurements. IIRC every one was slightly different in the fit. Mine came just right.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	F7C23B94-5265-43B9-B9F5-98E9ECA9F16C.jpeg
Views:	416
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	10713792 I got this one... it’s from Esperado
      and it was around 80 on sale...
      https://www.facebook.com/Luckyacresfarm
      https://www.facebook.com/Ulrike-Bsch...4373849955364/

Comment

Original Poster

Thanks guys!

And lovely horse ❤️

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Comment

I have the Kerrits Competitor Koat, got it from Riding Warehouse for like $100

Comment

The AA Motionlite comes in grey and is very cool in the heat. It’s just under $300 in the US and I’ve frequently seen them lower from EU sellers. https://www.ridingwarehouse.com/AA_H...page-AAMJ.html

Comment

I just got a Pikeur Paulin in Burgundy but it also comes in grey - around $260 from overseas if you know your size.
              Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
              you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

Originally posted by lorilu View Post
                I got a very nice grey jacket from FairPlay.... https://equizoneonline.com/collectio...ladies-jackets Be sure to look at the measurements. IIRC every one was slightly different in the fit. Mine came just right.
                I have this one in brown (Ladies Show Jacket Bea), and it is gorgeous. Just got complimented again this weekend.

Comment

Feathered_Feet, what is the fit like for your jacket? The Bea jacket is so elegant...
                  lorilu, which style did you get, and did it run true to size/large/small? Was their size chart accurate?

Thanks!
                  www.dressageclinics.org

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Alice View Post
                    Feathered_Feet, what is the fit like for your jacket? The Bea jacket is so elegant...
                    lorilu, which style did you get, and did it run true to size/large/small? Was their size chart accurate?

Thanks!
                    They fit well imo, though I prefer something not too tight, and I've never felt restricted in this. Note that I don't find them to be the coolest jacket, but if it's hot, it's hot, and no jacket is going to feel good. I love this coat enough I'm considering getting the tails for when we move up to PSG next year (and ordering now in case they stop making them, as fashions tend to do).

Here are some recent pics (right out of the box, no modifications or tailoring).

Comment

Oh, that's lovely! What a beautiful color combination - very sharp and elegant. And the jacket looks great. Do you feel like it runs true to size, ie did you order your usual size? I saw comments somewhere that it ran a bit small.

Originally posted by Feathered_Feet View Post

They fit well imo, though I prefer something not too tight, and I've never felt restricted in this. Note that I don't find them to be the coolest jacket, but if it's hot, it's hot, and no jacket is going to feel good. I love this coat enough I'm considering getting the tails for when we move up to PSG next year (and ordering now in case they stop making them, as fashions tend to do).

Here are some recent pics (right out of the box, no modifications or tailoring).
                      www.dressageclinics.org

Comment

Originally posted by Speedy Alice View Post
                        Oh, that's lovely! What a beautiful color combination - very sharp and elegant. And the jacket looks great. Do you feel like it runs true to size, ie did you order your usual size? I saw comments somewhere that it ran a bit small.
                        Thanks! This is a new color scheme for us this year :-) And yes, I did go up a size - I'm usually a US 4-6 shirt size (4 is a hugging fit) and went with their size 38, which, from what I can tell from online converters, would be a US size 8 (I'm about 5'5" and 125 lbs, slim chest, for what its worth).

I think I used the "CLOTHING - INTERNATIONAL SINGLE SIZE CONVERSION" on this website: https://www.asos.com/us/discover/siz...coats-jackets/

Comment

Original Poster

This is all very helpful, thanks!

After perusing the various websites, it seems the Esperado has the best prices and a couple of options. I was looking at the Aubrion Ladies Calder and Oxford (both in gray), and tried to “hook up” a chat with them but never got through, will try again tomorrow when I have more time during the day to sit and wait with laptop in lap.

I was hoping to get suggestions on sizing and specifics on how they fit. I usually wear a 6 (I’m 5’3” and 118#), but I have a broadish ribcage and shoulders for a petite person - and I like a little room in my jackets. I also wear a flexible back brace when riding which adds a bit of bulk 😕

I worry that if I get the equivalent of a 6 it will be too tight through the body, but if I get a larger size I may swim in it and the coat and sleeves will be too long. I suppose I could get it altered in that case.

Comment

I got the grey jacket a few years ago and used their size measurements chart. It fit fine. t does not have a name tag. My challenge is broad shoulders and "working woman" arms...... and a ridiculously short torso. The Brown one I got just a few months ago is a Michelle. It is the same size as the grey, but a bit more generous in the fit of the torso. It's a 44, the size I usually wear.... A note - Tack Shack of Ocala is now carrying FairPlay.... they do on line sales..... somethng US based rather than Europe.

Comment

Thank you for the info and link - that is super helpful!

Originally posted by Feathered_Feet View Post

Thanks! This is a new color scheme for us this year :-) And yes, I did go up a size - I'm usually a US 4-6 shirt size (4 is a hugging fit) and went with their size 38, which, from what I can tell from online converters, would be a US size 8 (I'm about 5'5" and 125 lbs, slim chest, for what its worth).

I think I used the "CLOTHING - INTERNATIONAL SINGLE SIZE CONVERSION" on this website: https://www.asos.com/us/discover/siz...coats-jackets/
                              www.dressageclinics.org

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experience, and good to know about Tack Shack... it'd be nice to get something that's not coming through Customs/overseas.

Originally posted by lorilu View Post
                                I got the grey jacket a few years ago and used their size measurements chart. It fit fine. t does not have a name tag. My challenge is broad shoulders and "working woman" arms...... and a ridiculously short torso. The Brown one I got just a few months ago is a Michelle. It is the same size as the grey, but a bit more generous in the fit of the torso. It's a 44, the size I usually wear.... A note - Tack Shack of Ocala is now carrying FairPlay.... they do on line sales..... somethng US based rather than Europe.
                                www.dressageclinics.org

Comment

Original Poster

Feathered_Feet - I'm looking at the Aubrion gray show jacket - it's available from a number of vendors (not just "across the pond"!) - including Amazon, but the sizing is a bit confusing.

I'm thinking that you and I wear approximately the same size (though you're taller) - so, size 38? Manni01 , I think you and I are of a similar size too.

My only concern is that I wear a flexible back brace which adds an inch or two to my waist measurement (I measured myself and I am chest 35, waist 28, hips 35), should I go larger, or can I let out the buttons? I know many show jackets now have a zipper under the buttons (mine does), so that may not be an option.

If I get the next size up, the sleeves and the jacket length might be too long, requiring expensive alteration.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Doolittle View Post
                                    Feathered_Feet - I'm looking at the Aubrion gray show jacket - it's available from a number of vendors (not just "across the pond"!) - including Amazon, but the sizing is a bit confusing.

I'm thinking that you and I wear approximately the same size (though you're taller) - so, size 38? Manni01 , I think you and I are of a similar size too.

My only concern is that I wear a flexible back brace which adds an inch or two to my waist measurement (I measured myself and I am chest 35, waist 28, hips 35), should I go larger, or can I let out the buttons? I know many show jackets now have a zipper under the buttons (mine does), so that may not be an option.

If I get the next size up, the sleeves and the jacket length might be too long, requiring expensive alteration.

Thoughts?
                                    Are there any reviews that say whether the sizing runs large or small? The Fair Play jacket is known to run small, so I went up a size. Without that information, I think a 38 would have been too large on me. Expense of alterations aside, I've always thought it was easier to modify something too large than too small.

Comment

Thoughts?
                                      Both of my FarPlay jackets have fairly generous seam allowances inside. And yes a zipper.

Comment

Thoughts?
                                        I have the grey Aubrion jacket and I LOVE it! Bought with high hopes in early March and have yet to wear it out of the house. I'm around 5'8" and have similar waist & chest to you (with more (ahem) junk in the trunk). I have it in UK 36/ US 10 and I love the fit. I don't think you need to go any higher than a 38", even with the back brace. The jacket does have a zipper under the buttons, so probably tricky to alter, but I'm no seamstress.

I just pulled it out of my closet and put it on... the only other time I've worn it was during a ZOOM party when a bunch of us put on our show clothes and drank wine in honour of the non-existent show season!

(ETA: I just measured the outside of the sleeve (shoulder seam to hem) is 64 cm and the back length from the top of the collar to the hem is 69 cm. Hope that helps!)

Comment

Working...
                                        X