Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Can I realistically expect to be taken seriously as a client if I don't do training board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mvp View Post
    It's so interesting that that people explain how it "makes good business sense" to give much more attention to those people who board their horse with the pro and have it in full training. If board is a loss leader and those clients want/get the little extra bits of care/time/advice that the pro gives, how is the trainer actually making more money per hour with those guys than with the pure lesson students?
    I'm not sure that the board is the incentive; it's more that those who are boarding *and in full training* with the trainer tend to be preferred to the occasional ship in client, or even one who comes regularly but is not in full training. From an economic perspective the full training customer often represents steadier cash flow (and although the boarding may be a break even proposition, from a cash flow perspective it may enable the pro to maintain the facility where they also do training and sales, perhaps.)
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Comment

It’s interesting to see that people seem to accept being “cash flow” to their trainer and pretty much expect to be dropped if they cease to be in full training. It shows I guess how much money has come to dominate. At one time it was possible to board at a decent barn, take lessons, and train your own horse, or as the original poster was asking about, haul in for lessons, and be “taken seriously” in either case.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucassb View Post

I'm not sure that the board is the incentive; it's more that those who are boarding *and in full training* with the trainer tend to be preferred to the occasional ship in client, or even one who comes regularly but is not in full training. From an economic perspective the full training customer often represents steadier cash flow (and although the boarding may be a break even proposition, from a cash flow perspective it may enable the pro to maintain the facility where they also do training and sales, perhaps.)
        I appreciate the value of predictable cash flow vs. alotta cash flow. And I do agree that the haul-in client can be less systematic in her lessons, e.g. every Tuesday and Friday at 11, without fail. Now even boarder/training clients can't boast perfect attendance, but the in-house horse can at least get schooled in that "without fail" way and the pro gets the same check.

But in a dollar-per-hour (and less time spent with a little advising or hand-holding each time the client rides), I would think the haul-in client was better.

I wrote what I did because so many others in this thread were convinced that the money was better, not merely the predictability of the money was better. And I had assumed that the OP would be one of those rare clients who was cut from the "on at 11 am in your ring, without fail" kind of clients.
        The armchair saddler
        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralwork View Post
          It’s interesting to see that people seem to accept being “cash flow” to their trainer and pretty much expect to be dropped if they cease to be in full training. It shows I guess how much money has come to dominate. At one time it was possible to board at a decent barn, take lessons, and train your own horse, or as the original poster was asking about, haul in for lessons, and be “taken seriously” in either case.
          Now, now, it's not that horse trainers became mercenaries so much as the profit has gone out of this business. First it left boarding and now, it would seem, it's leaving teaching. Also, it has become fashionable, even self-promoting and "sophisticated" to speak as if one were raised by Gordon Gecko and worshipped in the church of Wall Street.
          The armchair saddler
          Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralwork View Post
            As mpv said above, it is only "cash flow" in the sense that they need enough cash to flow through to their mortgager, labor and suppliers to keep their heads above water.

Comment

I appreciate the value of predictable cash flow vs. alotta cash flow. And I do agree that the haul-in client can be less systematic in her lessons, e.g. every Tuesday and Friday at 11, without fail. Now even boarder/training clients can't boast perfect attendance, but the in-house horse can at least get schooled in that "without fail" way and the pro gets the same check.

But in a dollar-per-hour (and less time spent with a little advising or hand-holding each time the client rides), I would think the haul-in client was better.

I wrote what I did because so many others in this thread were convinced that the money was better, not merely the predictability of the money was better. And I had assumed that the OP would be one of those rare clients who was cut from the "on at 11 am in your ring, without fail" kind of clients.
              I don't know if the $/hr measure is the best approach; I suppose it may vary depending on the situation. But the predictability of the full training customers - who are presumably under contract, and therefore have notice provisions and the like, may mean that the trainer can lease a facility with some confidence, knowing that the cash flow is there to support that monthly outlay for example. Having the ability to lease an entire facility (or fancier facility) may help underwrite the trainer's personal or sale horses, for example, or simply attract a group of clients that is more likely to buy additional services - lots of showing would be the most common. Classic cross sell / upsell!

Do the dollars that come from the haul in person add to the bottom line? Of course. But the haul in client isn't obligated to keep lessoning and typically there is no notice provision in the arrangement, so the cash flow is less certain. (Not that full training clients can't bail as well - but one normally gets some notice of that event, and at least the possibility of filling the spot over that month or so to preserve the cash flow involved.) And for those that haul in because they can't or don't want to pay the freight for full training, I think it is fair to say that at least *some* of them will also have constraints in terms of budgets for showing, new horse purchases etc. That doesn't apply to all ship ins, for sure. But in general, the full training clients are more likely to be "all in" on the whole program - including showing, which is often a pretty good profit opportunity for the trainer.

Also, I think of the spend around a full training client v. a haul in (or where the trainer goes to the client) and I suspect that there are other factors that matter as well. For example, the full training clients are more likely to use the trainer's vet, farrier, and other professionals. (Around here to get a good farrier, you have to offer a certain minimum number of horses, for example.) Let's agree that the volume of business that a busy trainer offers these other professionals often leads to the trainer's stock being treated for a reduced cost, perhaps even gratis. There may be other "deals" that come with volume purchases - whether for tack, feed, what have you. I would guess that plays a role in the evaluation as well.
              We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
              -PaulaEdwina

Comment

Have you tried sussing out “retired” trainers? In my area, there are a couple of well educated trainers and gifted horse women that have retired from full time work in the industry that offer lessons to a select clientele. They aren’t as fashionable as trainers with big barns going to shows every weekend but seem to get the job done and appreciate the horses at home lifestyle

Comment

It's so interesting that that people explain how it "makes good business sense" to give much more attention to those people who board their horse with the pro and have it in full training. If board is a loss leader and those clients want/get the little extra bits of care/time/advice that the pro gives, how is the trainer actually making more money per hour with those guys than with the pure lesson students?
                  My BNT, who currently teaches me once every couple of weeks via Skype given that he is at his home base 3000 miles away, sends me a text every couple of days checking in, asking how things are going, talking to me about vet work, plans for the season, etc. He reaches out to me, I don't have to chase him. I'm sure he has many $$$ clients at his farm (I have met them, so...) but he's a genuinely nice person, and he's got the hustle to keep himself in front of me as the go-to so when I need help I'm writing the checks to him.

Ymmv.
                  Originally posted by PeanutButterPony
                  you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

I read on here about someone with an online instructor. They would ride and send videos, and the instructor would watch and send feedback. Something like that might work for you, especially if you can supplement with the occasional clinic or in person lesson.

You reap what you sow, if you're constantly bumping someone reliable to spend time on someone who always gives short notice.......

Comment

Where I live, metropolitan suburbs/ exurbs, it's a viable business model.for some trainers to not have a barn base at all, but to travel weekly for coaching at different places. No horse professional can afford to buy acreage here anymore, and renting a barn or even dry stalls is expensive.

Traveling coaches get to pocket the whole lesson fee with their only overhead being gas and travel time, and some build that overhead into the fee structure. Some require a certain number of students at any given site.

It might not work in a more truly rural area, with bigger distances.

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post
                        Where I live, metropolitan suburbs/ exurbs, it's a viable business model.for some trainers to not have a barn base at all, but to travel weekly for coaching at different places. No horse professional can afford to buy acreage here anymore, and renting a barn or even dry stalls is expensive.

Traveling coaches get to pocket the whole lesson fee with their only overhead being gas and travel time, and some build that overhead into the fee structure. Some require a certain number of students at any given site.

It might not work in a more truly rural area, with bigger distances.

I know my barn charges a ring fee to instructors who do this, so it doesn't last very long here when an extra $25 gets passed on to the client, even if the client is a boarder at the farm.
                        you can shackle your pony to a lawn chair at the show...so long as its in a conservative color.

Comment

Originally posted by soloudinhere View Post

I know my barn charges a ring fee to instructors who do this, so it doesn't last very long here when an extra $25 gets passed on to the client, even if the client is a boarder at the farm.
                          This is standard IME. In no other industry would a working professional reasonably expect to make money by using someone else’s property without paying for use of that property, so why do horse trainers expect to be able to?

Comment

I think it's out of line to charge a boarder a ring fee. After all, she'd ride her horse in the ring on that day anyway. So hasn't the BO been paid already for the use of the facility? I do think a ring fee is standard when the horse doesn't live at the barn where the ring is, and that it has always been that way.
                            The armchair saddler
                            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Originally posted by Lucassb View Post

I don't know if the $/hr measure is the best approach; I suppose it may vary depending on the situation. But the predictability of the full training customers - who are presumably under contract, and therefore have notice provisions and the like, may mean that the trainer can lease a facility with some confidence, knowing that the cash flow is there to support that monthly outlay for example. Having the ability to lease an entire facility (or fancier facility) may help underwrite the trainer's personal or sale horses, for example, or simply attract a group of clients that is more likely to buy additional services - lots of showing would be the most common. Classic cross sell / upsell!
                              I hadn't considered the value of that more predictable cash flow that allows the pro to lease the better facility. That's a good point and a real pressure! Where I used to live, there were very few barns with good care. Pros were competing to get access to those. If the pro couldn't get into a good barn, others of us who otherwise would have put a horse in training did not. It was hard on the trainers and clients alike, although in different ways.
                              The armchair saddler
                              Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

I think it's out of line to charge a boarder a ring fee. After all, she'd ride her horse in the ring on that day anyway. So hasn't the BO been paid already for the use of the facility? I do think a ring fee is standard when the horse doesn't live at the barn where the ring is, and that it has always been that way.
                                in this case it's a fee for the instructor to make money off the facility. technically the instructor doesn't have to pass it on to her clients, but of course most would.

Comment

in this case it's a fee for the instructor to make money off the facility. technically the instructor doesn't have to pass it on to her clients, but of course most would.
                                  Yes, you explained that and I understood it.

While a BO can charge that, I think it's a bad idea. It seems to me that it's opportunistic. (See my raised by Gordon Gecko comment above before you school me on why that's a BO's prerogative or right.). But it screws their own boarder in a couple of ways. Either the boarder pays the extra ring fee on, say, Wednesday because her pro was there to give the horse the same practice ride on Thursday, or she doesn't take lessons. And this might not work out well in the end for all BO: I have heard more than one complain about unsafe or uninvolved owners. When those folks have regular lessons, both problems are solved.

I feel bad for the modern, undercapitalized trainer. They have a hard enough time making a living without having to pay a new fee.
                                  The armchair saddler
                                  Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Yes, you explained that and I understood it.

While a BO can charge that, I think it's a bad idea. It seems to me that it's opportunistic. (See my raised by Gordon Gecko comment above before you school me on why that's a BO's prerogative or right.). But it screws their own boarder in a couple of ways. Either the boarder pays the extra ring fee on, say, Wednesday because her pro was there to give the horse the same practice ride on Thursday, or she doesn't take lessons. And this might not work out well in the end for all BO: I have heard more than one complain about unsafe or uninvolved owners. When those folks have regular lessons, both problems are solved.

I feel bad for the modern, undercapitalized trainer. They have a hard enough time making a living without having to pay a new fee.
                                    I guess I don't understand the proposed alternative.

You could argue that the occasional availability of the trainer brings additional boarders in, maybe, but maybe also not, especially if the place is full.

So the facility owner is supposed to let the trainer make money off her facility out of the goodness of her heart?

You rent a chair in a salon. You rent a storefront if you want a storefront. But you don't have to rent an arena if you need an arena?

I could see the case for a reduced ring fee for a boarder, but it's really a tax on the instructor, not the boarder. It's the trainer renting the facility for that time for the purposes of generating income. Profit sharing, if you will. The instructor could choose not to pass that on, but of course most do.

Comment

Eons ago when I boarded in hunter and eventing barns, boarders usually had to pay a ring fee if they had an outside instructor come in because of the increased wear and tear on jumps. While overuse of jumps isn't a concern in dressage barns, there is usually an increased need for footing maintenance (availability of an instructor often encourages people to ride more often). There is also an increased liability risk to facility owners when they allow outside instructors come in, and owners are often discouraged by their insurance agent and attorney from allowing it--so they in turn either don't allow it at all or try to discourage it by charging a ring fee.
                                      Last edited by DownYonder; Sep. 24, 2020, 09:16 AM. Reason: typo!

Comment

As a boarder I didnt mind a reasonable ring fee for an outside trainer. She was using the BO's property, so only reasonable to pay something IMO. At times I was the only dressage rider in the barn so I appreciated being able to get a trainer in. There have been times when the barn didnt allow outside trainers, even for a different discipline. That was tough and I ultimately left the barn.

The fees I did think were excessive were from one instructor who charged a travel fee. Fair enough, but she charged the fee to every rider that day at that facility, no matter how many. I wonder if she was surprised that people stopped trying to coordinate ride times for one block on one day...

Current BO doesnt charge for an outside instructor of a different discipline. Now the problem is that the instructor cant come to the state due to Covid restrictions!

Comment

I guess I don't understand the proposed alternative.

You could argue that the occasional availability of the trainer brings additional boarders in, maybe, but maybe also not, especially if the place is full.

So the facility owner is supposed to let the trainer make money off her facility out of the goodness of her heart?

You rent a chair in a salon. You rent a storefront if you want a storefront. But you don't have to rent an arena if you need an arena?

I could see the case for a reduced ring fee for a boarder, but it's really a tax on the instructor, not the boarder. It's the trainer renting the facility for that time for the purposes of generating income. Profit sharing, if you will. The instructor could choose not to pass that on, but of course most do.
                                          The BO already rented her arena to her boarders for all the riding they would do. To now rent it to the pro is renting it out again a second time for the same ride, same boarder and same hour. This is not like renting out a salon chair where the store owner has not been paid until she is paid once by the stylist.

If I were a boarder and asked to pay a ring fee for my lesson, I'd want the arena to myself. That would make sense, right? After all, I had already paid to ride in the arena with nothing special when I paid my board bill at the beginning of the month. So what extra am I getting now? And again, if the fee gets passed on to me, as it will because perhaps my pro would find a place I could haul to and not pay a fee, so she says "stay home and pay your BO's fee or haul to me; your choice."

You also didn't address/don't value what a traveling pro brings to a BO in the form of engaged, safe-riding boarders.

I do understand that fee charged to an "outside trainer" if there is an in-house trainer. After all, that pro would like to have a captive audience in her set of boarders who really don't generate any profit.
                                          The armchair saddler
                                          Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

Working...
                                          X