Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Should I go FEI with my horse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I go FEI with my horse?

Hi, this is a bit of an odd question. I already asked a few other people but didn’t get any good answers. This is a bit
    long, sorry!

Anyways, the question is: Should I try and bring my horse up through the FEI levels?

I originally thought we would ride up to around 3rd level or so, I didn’t buy my horse to be a GP champion or anything, that has never really been a huge thing for me. However, I was curious about what my trainer thought about my horse so I asked her what my long term dressage goal with my horse should be.

Long story short, she told me it would be realistic if I had visions to bring my horse up to the FEI levels. My trainer is wonderful and is one of the few who has not told me to just sell my horse and buy a new horse to get up the levels faster.

My horse is quite fit and healthy, being one of the easiest keepers I’ve met. Given that my horse is built with compact sport horse conformation and learns quickly, I am now contemplating if I should look into bringing her farther than I had originally planned.

When I asked a few others, they mentioned they personally wouldn’t because they don’t want their horse stuck in a stall all day, only leaving it to go be worked for an hour. However, I don’t have this dilemma as I have access to all day turnout at a barn who puts my horse’s well-being and happiness as the first priority.

So with this information in mind, would you hypothetically make the push to ride FEI in this situation? I am always wary of whether I should or shouldn’t, as I know my horse physically could handle it. I’m worried that I don’t want to waste my horse’s potential, even though horses aren’t really aware of their competition potential. However, I am hesitant to sell my horse to an ambitious rider who wants a mount to bring to FEI levels as at the same time, I don’t want to push my horse too hard.

If your horse can and enjoys doing the work and you want to learn the movements, sure, do it. If not, then you shouldn’t. You also don’t have to show. You can learn Grand Prix movements and just do them at home. Your horse doesn’t know what potential is or if she has any, so if learning the movements and working your way up the levels sounds fun to you, go for it.

I know plenty of FEI horses that leave their stalls for more than just being ridden, so that really shouldn’t be a concern for you. I’m not sure what other people’s horsekeeping has to do with what level you ride your horse to, though.

Comment

Honestly, it's not really worth much thought at this point. Keep training systematically, just as you would otherwise, as you will get wherever you are going to get. There is nothing to do differently if you change your aspiration, assuming you have good training that follows the training scale. Some horses hit a road block and don't reach the level their owners hoped, others far exceed it. You just keep plugging away and see how your horse handles new things as they naturally arise in his training.

Comment

Original Poster

Thank you both for the responses!

JustTheTicket: Yes I have been thinking of that, as I don’t really feel the need to go showing at international venues & whatnot, more so considering if I should actually even make the move in the FEI direction, I’ve never really thought about it. As for the people worried about my stable management situation for my
        horse’s welfare, I was also confused at this. I too know many FEI horses with happy lives who get to live how they want. I suppose some just believe they are in a stable all day.

joiedevie99: I agree, it’s not a huge yes or no decision I need to make at the moment. It’s more that I just wanted to see what I should be planning ahead for. I wasn’t necessarily even thinking about long term goals until my trainer started having me teach piaffe to my horse. Once she picked it up correctly rather easily, she mentioned riding through FEI & I asked her opinion about future plans. I agree with the idea you brought up of just training & seeing how everything goes as it’s hard to make definite calls & decisions.

Comment

There is nothing that dictates that a horse reaching the upper levels cannot have turn out or even live out 24/7. This is nonsense

Train to reach your best potential and enjoy your progress
          _\\]
          -- * > hoopoe
          Procrastinate NOW
          Introverted Since 1957

Comment

Do it. Just keep training. SOme day, try it out at a schooling show (one that has good judges...) or a Ride a Test with a reputable trainer/judge. See how you do, follow your heart..... I made it to PSG last year, and frankly the increased expectations kind of caught me off guard.... but here I am, getting better all the time. Besides, those movements are fun!!

Comment

Originally posted by scislandsprite View Post
              Hi, this is a bit of an odd question. I already asked a few other people but didn’t get any good answers. This is a bit
              long, sorry!

Anyways, the question is: Should I try and bring my horse up through the FEI levels?

I originally thought we would ride up to around 3rd level or so, I didn’t buy my horse to be a GP champion or anything, that has never really been a huge thing for me. However, I was curious about what my trainer thought about my horse so I asked her what my long term dressage goal with my horse should be.

Long story short, she told me it would be realistic if I had visions to bring my horse up to the FEI levels. My trainer is wonderful and is one of the few who has not told me to just sell my horse and buy a new horse to get up the levels faster.

My horse is quite fit and healthy, being one of the easiest keepers I’ve met. Given that my horse is built with compact sport horse conformation and learns quickly, I am now contemplating if I should look into bringing her farther than I had originally planned.

When I asked a few others, they mentioned they personally wouldn’t because they don’t want their horse stuck in a stall all day, only leaving it to go be worked for an hour. However, I don’t have this dilemma as I have access to all day turnout at a barn who puts my horse’s well-being and happiness as the first priority.

So with this information in mind, would you hypothetically make the push to ride FEI in this situation? I am always wary of whether I should or shouldn’t, as I know my horse physically could handle it. I’m worried that I don’t want to waste my horse’s potential, even though horses aren’t really aware of their competition potential. However, I am hesitant to sell my horse to an ambitious rider who wants a mount to bring to FEI levels as at the same time, I don’t want to push my horse too hard.
              If you are interested in learning to ride and train the FEI movements and if you have confidence in your trainer, why not just ride, learn, pay attention to your horse's attitude and cross that bridge when you come to it?

Your question seems a little odd to me. You "know" that your horse can physically handle the upper level work. Your question seems to be something only you can answer; do you want to work towards the FEI level? I don't understand your reference to selling the horse. Is someone suggesting that you sell him?

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by skydy View Post

If you are interested in learning to ride and train the FEI movements and if you have confidence in your trainer, why not just ride, learn, pay attention to your horse's attitude and cross that bridge when you come to it?

Your question seems a little odd to me. You "know" that your horse can physically handle the upper level work. Your question seems to be something only you can answer; do you want to work towards the FEI level? I don't understand your reference to selling the horse. Is someone suggesting that you sell him?
                Yes, you are right about it being an odd question. My horse would be fine in the upper levels, I am already seeing demonstration that there is not so much an issue of capability. I suppose I am worried that this is unreasonable to ask of a horse, that it is unfair. The reference to selling is I’ve always been told to sell my horse and just buy something already trained through GP so there’s not a question of “Should I do this? Is it fair?”. I think this is probably some personal doubts but for now, I think I’ll just continue the training and see what happens.

Comment

1) My FEI horse lives outside 24/7, and trail rides, and jumps little logs.

2) What level is this horse currently training? And what level have you trained and/or ridden? The answers to those might be helpful and predictive of upper level potential.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Dutchmare433 View Post
                    1) My FEI horse lives outside 24/7, and trail rides, and jumps little logs.

2) What level is this horse currently training? And what level have you trained and/or ridden? The answers to those might be helpful and predictive of upper level potential.
                    1: Good to hear! I’m glad the myth that FEI horses are inside all the time is being proven wrong.

2: I haven’t competed since before I bought my horse, so I don’t really run tests often. Currently working on the halfpass & my trainer had me introduce piaffe about a month just to gauge my horse’s reaction. Sorry, it’s been awhile since I’ve checked in on what movements are required at each level! I believe mostly ridden movements myself through 3rd or so, but nothing too serious. I haven’t been too focused on looking at upper levels the last few years, mostly been restarting horses.

Comment

long, sorry!

Something about this post tells me you are very early days in your dressage journey which is fine.

Things to keep in mind are: many horses have the raw ability to do the upper level moves, if properly trained.

"FEI" does not necessarily mean competing at an international level or riding in CDI competition. For almost everyone it means riding an FEI level test at a local or regional show. Most ammies get there step by step. Once you can get reliable scores in the 60s you can show at the next level.

Once you are showing and getting decent scores at 4th level, you can consider whether you and your horse will be happy moving up to Prix St George, the first level in the FEI tests.

There is no reason in the world that your horse keeping and management is suddenly going to have to change between 4th level and PSG.

Most ammies are limited mostly by their own riding ability which includes fitness and stamina. If you want to go up the levels you should be in Pilates now, building those abs and core to eventually sit the extended trot.

There is also no reason why you need to eke out every last bit of your horses "potential" especially since it is probably your "potential" that will be a big limiting factor.

Ride the horse you have in front of you and let the journey take you where it goes.
                      ​​​​​​
                      If you can ride the horse w t c now and enjoy that, there's no reason to think you have to sell her.

When people say they are selling a horse because it has too much potential to waste, it generally means the horse is too hot and scares them.

The only other reason would be if the horse was going to bring you a life changing amount of money. Say you bought a colt for $1000 and suddenly it could jump the moon and you were offered $100,000 and could pay off your mortgage. But I doubt that's the case here.

Keep your nice mare, continue learning, and do the work you need to do right now.

Comment

1: Good to hear! I’m glad the myth that FEI horses are inside all the time is being proven wrong.

2: I haven’t competed since before I bought my horse, so I don’t really run tests often. Currently working on the halfpass & my trainer had me introduce piaffe about a month just to gauge my horse’s reaction. Sorry, it’s been awhile since I’ve checked in on what movements are required at each level! I believe mostly ridden movements myself through 3rd or so, but nothing too serious. I haven’t been too focused on looking at upper levels the last few years, mostly been restarting horses.
                        For third I think you need a good flying change and you need to sit a lengthened trot. Those are the two things that tend to catch out horse and rider, respectively.

Lots of horses can start learning piaffe way ahead of schedule. It's nice but no guarantee of anything.

You can download the tests and see what's in them. Just riding all the moves randomly does not equate to pulling a polished test out of a hat!

If you have the basics in place go prep and ride a First Level test at a cheap schooling show to see how well you can put the basics together. Get it videoed and review with the score sheet in front of you

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post

Something about this post tells me you are very early days in your dressage journey which is fine.

Things to keep in mind are: many horses have the raw ability to do the upper level moves, if properly trained.

"FEI" does not necessarily mean competing at an international level or riding in CDI competition. For almost everyone it means riding an FEI level test at a local or regional show. Most ammies get there step by step. Once you can get reliable scores in the 60s you can show at the next level.

Once you are showing and getting decent scores at 4th level, you can consider whether you and your horse will be happy moving up to Prix St George, the first level in the FEI tests.

There is no reason in the world that your horse keeping and management is suddenly going to have to change between 4th level and PSG.

Most ammies are limited mostly by their own riding ability which includes fitness and stamina. If you want to go up the levels you should be in Pilates now, building those abs and core to eventually sit the extended trot.

There is also no reason why you need to eke out every last bit of your horses "potential" especially since it is probably your "potential" that will be a big limiting factor.

Ride the horse you have in front of you and let the journey take you where it goes.
                          ​​​​​​
                          If you can ride the horse w t c now and enjoy that, there's no reason to think you have to sell her.

When people say they are selling a horse because it has too much potential to waste, it generally means the horse is too hot and scares them.

The only other reason would be if the horse was going to bring you a life changing amount of money. Say you bought a colt for $1000 and suddenly it could jump the moon and you were offered $100,000 and could pay off your mortgage. But I doubt that's the case here.

Keep your nice mare, continue learning, and do the work you need to do right now.
                          Thank you for the reply, it was very helpful. I think there is some miscommunication on my part, I am trying to get a sense of whether it is emotionally fair to my horse to begin asking the harder questions as it can be rather strenuous. I don’t really have this issue with schooling other dressage horses as the owner has been the one making the call of what level their horse is at & where I should bring them. To be quite frank, I didn’t even consider much of this as I typically just train how my horse is feeling, and only started thinking of any of this until it was brought up to me.

Comment

Thank you for the reply, it was very helpful. I think there is some miscommunication on my part, I am trying to get a sense of whether it is emotionally fair to my horse to begin asking the harder questions as it can be rather strenuous. I don’t really have this issue with schooling other dressage horses as the owner has been the one making the call of what level their horse is at & where I should bring them. To be quite frank, I didn’t even consider much of this as I typically just train how my horse is feeling, and only started thinking of any of this until it was brought up to me.
                            So what level dressage have you completed at? As opposed to just schooling some moves.

And what level has your coach competed at?

Comment

long, sorry!

quit asking people who don't have a clue (the ones you mention in this post)...just listen to your trainer. Train as far as he is comfortable! It's very rewarding and you don't have to show unless you want too.

Since when do FEI horses get stuck in a stall all day?
                              Humans dont mind duress, in fact they thrive on it. What they mind is not feeling necessary. Sebastian Junger

Comment

Your horse will tell you. If you train well so that your horse feels "heard" in your relationship, I don't think she will mind being asked for more.
                                The armchair saddler
                                Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

I've known Olympic horses to happily hack out, after the Olympic rider has worked them 4-5 hours earlier n the day.

Those who tell you that "dressage horses can't be hacked out", should not be listened to. They are know nuthins.

Carry on, enjoy your horse and your joint progress.
                                  Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Comment

Many horses actually enjoy learning and performing the more advanced movements!

Remember, they are just natural movements that you teach your horse to do when you ask for them. Horses do changes, passage, piaffe and pirouette while out in their pastures. Not necessarily show quality, and not all can do them under saddle, but your horse will let you know if she's struggling or not enjoying the work.

And what everyone else here said about core strength, hacking out, good coaching, and turn out is all true.

Comment

I will tell you that I regret retiring one of my horses too soon. He was fifteen and we had earned our bronze. I passed him on to my daughter for her to learn the ropes which was good for all but I should have continued to work with him and trained him further even though I had no intention of showing him. He was my daughter's horse to show. By retiring him too soon he, in my opinion, aged faster. I thought it would have been unfair to have demanded more from him; but, truth be told he was an overachiever and needed the mental and physical stimulation. My daughter riding at training level just wasn't enough to satisfy his emotional needs. He was more of a high-drive, worker bee type and very married to his previous training routine. He was safe, don't get me wrong and level headed but he needed daily engagement or enrichment to keep his nervous nelly tendencies in check otherwise he would create jobs like pace the fence line, etc Suffice it to day that I lost him at 17 and feel strongly that had I kept challenging him (fairly) on a regular basis he would have lived well into his 20's like one of his siblings did. Oh, his second career was competitive trail..............all of my horses have had more than one job, not just dressage
                                      Ranch of Last Resort

Comment

IMO:
                                        For the right horse I think some half steps and playing around with light piaffe at 2nd/3rd isn't unreasonable because it has been kept light and playful. Asking a horse of moderate athleticism and a neutral balance to work on the piaffe as a trick or out of a desire to due fancy stuff can be really unfair. The range of balance, strength, flexibility, etc. of horses schooling second level differs wildly. What engages one horse can overwhelm and shut down another.

Has your trainer successfully developed a number of horses through FEI? Do they have a big toolbox to keep work light and fun? Do they drill a movement or push beyond where the horse is having fun? Have you seen them develop a horse of average athleticism?

I don't think it is outrageous to play around with fun things under guidance. However, if you have reservations about whether the training is benefitting your horse, then it may be too much too soon. If you and your horse are both 2nd/3rd then doing piaffe work under saddle sounds like something to be approached with a lot of caution and clear boundaries.

Comment

Working...
                                        X