Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Grippy or Non-Slip Reins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grippy or Non-Slip Reins

I'm developing arthritis in my hands and need reins that don't slip. Even with rein stops it's becoming increasingly harder to maintain a steady hold. Any suggestions? I have tried the Thin Line non-slip, they are comfortable but slip through my hands.
    "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Something with texture like the fabric reins jumpers use *plus* gloves with very good silicon grips. Is it possible to find slightly thicker reins?

I also know that when I returned to riding 12 years ago I always slipped my reins but that no longer happens despite the fact that my hand arthritis is worse. So some of it is practice and attention.

If you really can't close your hand on the reins there may be para rider gear that would help like loops on the reins?

Comment

Original Poster

Thanks Scribbler. Can you give examples of gloves with good silicon grip? I've always ridden in Roeckl gloves. Also, I'm not familiar with the fabric reins, examples?
      "You gave your life to become the person you are right now. Was it worth it?" Richard Bach

Comment

Originally posted by Calhoun View Post
        Thanks Scribbler. Can you give examples of gloves with good silicon grip? I've always ridden in Roeckl gloves. Also, I'm not familiar with the fabric reins, examples?
        I have a pair of rubberized fabric reins that came with a cheap snaffle bridle. They have rein stops. I would think you could get similar in any tack store catering to jumpers. You might also like laced reins.

As far as good gripping gloves, again just look at the tack store. In winter I use gloves sold as glove liners for skiers. They are smooth outside fleece inside and have silicon on the palm.
        ​​​
        If you can't find riding gloves with a good enough grip you might look in hardware stores for light weight work or gardening gloves. I've had work gloves with too much grip for work. The pitchfork didn't slide so I ended up torquing my back until I learned to loosen my grip on the handle.

I've never owned a pair of Roekels so I can't compare.

I've also found deerskin work gloves add some bulk to my palm and fingers and help with grip.

​​​

Comment

Jerrys made pimpled rubber reins with leather stops. When I heard he was going out of business I bought a few - should have bought more. If you can find them, they are great.

Comment

I have gnarly, arthritic hands w short fingers. Plaited leather reins work best for me. If you don't like the look of braided leather, Nunn Finer Sure Grip reins come with and without stops and are very good as well. My coach has stopped yelling: "Shorten your reins!"

https://www.ejeffries.co.uk/plaited-reins-falcon.html
            https://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/NFSGRWLS.htm

Comment

I second the Nunn Finer reins! They have a great grip, and many of the older riders and jumper students at the barn I ride at use them as they are comfortable and seem to be quite grippy.
              Good luck!
              Last edited by springgreypony; Jul. 8, 2020, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Equus Eventa. Rubber that is not pimple/dots but rather "scored". They are wider and very easy to grip. The rubber is nice and soft but still firm. I don't like light floppy reins, personally.

Comment

I just bought a pair of these: https://www.statelinetack.com/item/t...reins/E006413/ for a snaffle bridle that I only use periodically. I didnt think I would like them much because I have small hands and they felt thick. BUT in fact I liked them enough to replace my leather w/ handstops reins on my double bridle. I'm in Florida so many days my gloves get damp from sweat and I was constantly having to adjust my rein length as they slipped thru the damp gloves. But that is all gone. And because I'm not constantly adjusting, my horse and I maintain a much better, consistent contact. BTW they come in black...

Edited to add, I also ride in Roeckl gloves.
                  Last edited by 2tempe; Jul. 9, 2020, 11:02 AM.

Comment

You could try race reins. They are 1 inch wide and thick rubber. They take some getting used to. But once you get used to them, regular reins feel like wet noodles.

Comment

I have some Mark Todd rubber reins and they are decently grippy. I usually ride with SSG Hybrid gloves, but I just got a pair of Noble Equestrian coolmesh gloves, and they are super grippy with the rubber reins. They are sort of an ultrasuede on the palms.

Comment

You can also take your favorite gloves and add glue dots in strategic places with a hot glue gun.
                        Banter whenever you want to banter....canter whenever you want to canter.

Comment

If you like the thickness and grip of the Thinline reins but need a little extra, you can get them with rein stops. I'm guessing you have the original smooth reins?

https://thinlineglobal.com/shop/hors...-english-reins
                          I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted.

Comment

Passier has a good variety of reins that you might try out -

I find these web reins with the leather stoppers super grippy:

https://www.passier.com/en/bridles/r...onkey-buckles/

They've got a ton, though. Browsing through their selection is a good idea!

Comment

I have the thin line reins and love them. I wipe them with water after each ride, I find if they get at all dusty they lose their grip. I had the nunn finer reins and liked them but had slipping problems if there was a lot of sweat.

Comment

Original Poster

Thanks everyone, this is what hoping to find by posting. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by outerbanks77 View Post
                                  I have some Mark Todd rubber reins and they are decently grippy. I usually ride with SSG Hybrid gloves, but I just got a pair of Noble Equestrian coolmesh gloves, and they are super grippy with the rubber reins. They are sort of an ultrasuede on the palms.
                                  I have these gloves and my grip is fine in them. I wasn't sure they were "super grip" so I didn't specifically recommend them. But maybe they are! My big grip events are stopping marsey diving for grass beside the trail and these gloves are doing the job!

Comment

My husband likes these - https://www.henryjamessaddlery.co.uk...ather-stoppers

They have the same grippy biothane as Nunn Finer, plus stops.

Comment

A set of 3/4" rubber reins from Jerry's were the ticket for me to keep my reins from slipping. I haven't tried this, but a friend that used to gallop horses at the track said they would use gloves for water skiing as they provided excellent grip in wet conditions.

ETA: forgot I was in the dressage forum...

Comment

Originally posted by Scribbler View Post

I have these gloves and my grip is fine in them. I wasn't sure they were "super grip" so I didn't specifically recommend them. But maybe they are! My big grip events are stopping marsey diving for grass beside the trail and these gloves are doing the job!
                                        Yeah, I bought them for the mesh back rather than the grip factor. I usually ride in SSG Hybrid gloves, but I wanted something cooler for summer. Even though the material seems about the same, the Nobles are just much grippier with my particular reins, which I found surprising.

Comment

Working...
                                        X