Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Encouragement/Words of Wisdom: Off site lease?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Encouragement/Words of Wisdom: Off site lease?

I was debating posting this because of a superstition that if you tell anyone about something, it won't work out, but here we are...

Has anyone had an off site lease work out well? This is not my first lease (all have been positive experiences, thank jebus) but would be my first long term and off-site. I understand that I would likely be responsible for all vet bills/boarding/farrier so that's not an issue, I'm just mostly worried about trust/respect between owner and leaser. I know that I can take care of a horse responsibly and have owned horse, been the only working student, etc, but I still get REALLY nervous about this.

I'm not in a position to buy as it's one of those "IDK where I'll be in five years" kind of thing and don't have the $$ for a 3rd/4th level horse up front, which is what I'm looking for. My current onsite lease is up and my second level horse (mine) is older and not going further due to hock arthritis.

TLDR: Someone tell me this could be a positive experience, and also, if anyone knows of a schoolmaster/UL horse for a off site lease for a soft and responsible horseperson in the northeast US, feel free to let me know...

If you have a good contract why not give it a try? Of course things can go wrong but a good contract can help with that..

Comment

Original Poster

We are not quite ready for contract but it will absolutely happen... I guess that even with a solid contract I worry that something will happen and it will be my fault. That is horses though.

Comment

I've been the leaser and had no problems. I made sure we had a clear, specific contract AND that we had actually discussed things like vet care, emergencies, etc. A contract is one thing and it's critical, but it's also helpful to understand what the owner's philosophy and approach are and whether they mesh well with your own.

Comment

As said above, it is all in the contract. I am nearing the end of a year long off-site lease (I am the leasee), and have had a great experience. I keep in regular contact with the owner (we both love this horse, and I love updating her on how he's doing!), but she lives a bit far and has only come to see him a handful of times.

To address your concerns about you being held responsible, the owner and I have it clearly written out in the lease that if the horse gets injured, I am only responsible for vet bills up to $x amount. I am also able to send the horse back if he is unable to be ridden. Both of these ensure that if/when this horse gets injured, I won't be out thousands of dollars, and I would not be expected to rehab him or anything like that (even though I would be more than willing -- like I said I love this horse!)

Your relationship and line of communication with the owner is also very crucial. Off-site leases are a big risk on the part of the owner -- there is no guarantee that your horse will be cared for as well as it should be. As a responsible leasee, I feel it is really important to have that regular communication with the owner. Doing what's best for the horse includes your care of it, as well as the continued involvement of the owner.

All this to say, as a leasee, I would recommend going for it, provided you have a good relationship with the owner, and a solid contract that protects the both of you. Sorry for writing a novel lol
          Last edited by marmarmar; Jun. 20, 2020, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I sent my mare to an off site lease several years ago. It was to a woman that was a client of my trainer, so I was not too worried. Also some years prior sent my old gelding to a barn where I knew the trainer/manager pretty well. Barn was only about 3 miles away. He had a great time until hit by cervical arthritis and needed to be mostly retired. I was contacted as soon as they noticed symptoms. Contracts both times.

Comment

Besides a good contract, have an honest conversation with the owner about what sort of contact they want. Some people want the horse back in a year in the same condition and don't want to be bothered in between. Others want to talk to the trainer monthly to know how things are going. Others will start imaging that Pookie is being abused if you don't send a weekly photo. Be super clear about expectations. It's easy to fail to meet expectations if you don't know what they are.

Comment

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! Really good thoughts about trying to find as much info as possible about the trainer and discussing what kind of updates the owner would like. I am about 2.5 hrs from the trainer. I would want regular updates and transparency (I am the person who will tell you if the horse ripped a bell boot and then volunteer to replace it) but I can understand that might be annoying for someone who's basically selling (he is for sale and I'm offering to lease him).

Comment

We currently are leasing off site and so far it's been a fantastic experience. I am very transparent and update the owner with everything from routine vet visits to letting her know if we are taking him off property. The horse is exactly what we wanted and we may end up buying him (he was originally not for sale). We have insurance on him and I would do whatever is needed to make sure he is taken care of. He is not a show horse though- just something to take to local shows and have fun with.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by NC001 View Post
                    We currently are leasing off site and so far it's been a fantastic experience. I am very transparent and update the owner with everything from routine vet visits to letting her know if we are taking him off property. The horse is exactly what we wanted and we may end up buying him (he was originally not for sale). We have insurance on him and I would do whatever is needed to make sure he is taken care of. He is not a show horse though- just something to take to local shows and have fun with.
                    Thank you! I would hope this horse is insured (I currently pay for my lease horse's full insurance, instead of 1/2 of whatever MM bills she would incur if something were to happen). I would want to take him off property, to small shows and trail riding but interesting to know that you update the owner every time he leaves the property.

I used to have to trailer out every time I wanted to ride when the horses were at home so I think I am more used to bringing them off property than most...

Comment

Just make sure you get a very detailed contract, and make sure you have a sit down conversation to hash out any potential scenarios and make sure they are included on the contract. I am sort of like you, in the thoughts that what if something goes wrong, it's not my horse, will I be blamed, etc. I have never leased (only owned), but I do know if I needed an upper level horse and couldn't afford to purchase, I absolutely would look at leasing. Just make sure the contract is rock solid so there are no grey areas.

Comment

DETAILED CONTRACT. Have a lawyer look over it. Consistent and open communication. I am leasing now. My friend owns the horse, and we’ve known each other for over a decade. We outlined clear expectations of who was responsible for what, and what she expected as far as training/showing for the mare. Whenever something happens or if the vet suggests something, the mare’s owner is my first call, but I also have leeway to make decisions for urgent conditions. Things like injections we discuss first. Insurance is also a good thing to have.

Be prepared to be on the hook for the horse’s care in case of injury. I spent nine months this year paying bills and rehabbing her tendon after she tore it up in her paddock. Most lessors will expect you to be responsible for the horse if it is injured under your care.

In general, this has been a fantastic experience for me. I have access to a quality horse that I could never have afforded. It has also been eye opening regarding the demands of sport horse ownership. After a year and half of leasing, I felt confident enough that I could handle the responsibility of ownership, and I just bought my own horse in January - so now I’m responsible for two - but I’m going to maintain the lease until my friend is ready to assume care again.

Comment

I leased my horse out last year and she renewed this year...the woman loves my horse as much as I do so it's working out very well! I really like her trainer and we have a contract. I think what is important is the trust thing between both of us, she communicates and sends pics and I visited him a couple of months into the lease mostly because I missed him so much. I went to see him again a few months later to drop some blankets and he looked great. She truly adores him and he adores her.
                          I am not a pain in the ass and neither is she so it works!
                          Humans dont mind duress, in fact they thrive on it. What they mind is not feeling necessary. Sebastian Junger

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Mersidoats View Post
                            DETAILED CONTRACT. Have a lawyer look over it. Consistent and open communication. I am leasing now. My friend owns the horse, and we’ve known each other for over a decade. We outlined clear expectations of who was responsible for what, and what she expected as far as training/showing for the mare. Whenever something happens or if the vet suggests something, the mare’s owner is my first call, but I also have leeway to make decisions for urgent conditions. Things like injections we discuss first. Insurance is also a good thing to have.

Be prepared to be on the hook for the horse’s care in case of injury. I spent nine months this year paying bills and rehabbing her tendon after she tore it up in her paddock. Most lessors will expect you to be responsible for the horse if it is injured under your care.

In general, this has been a fantastic experience for me. I have access to a quality horse that I could never have afforded. It has also been eye opening regarding the demands of sport horse ownership. After a year and half of leasing, I felt confident enough that I could handle the responsibility of ownership, and I just bought my own horse in January - so now I’m responsible for two - but I’m going to maintain the lease until my friend is ready to assume care again.
                            I'm not comfortable leasing a horse without insurance. My own horse is not insured but if she were to injure herself or colic to the extent that I would have to put myself into debt to fix it, she would likely be euthanized.

I am very open/responsible but it's hard to convince strangers of this (and rightfully so). Unfortunately no one I know personally has an appropriate lease.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_heron View Post

I'm not comfortable leasing a horse without insurance. My own horse is not insured but if she were to injure herself or colic to the extent that I would have to put myself into debt to fix it, she would likely be euthanized.

I am very open/responsible but it's hard to convince strangers of this (and rightfully so). Unfortunately no one I know personally has an appropriate lease.
                              If you have a trainer can you work through them to find a lease situation? My trainer knows a lot of trainers on the east coast so it was easy to say yay/nay when people came knocking about my horse! I also maintain the insurance so I am involved in anything major when a medical issue arrives.
                              Humans dont mind duress, in fact they thrive on it. What they mind is not feeling necessary. Sebastian Junger

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Bogey2 View Post

If you have a trainer can you work through them to find a lease situation? My trainer knows a lot of trainers on the east coast so it was easy to say yay/nay when people came knocking about my horse! I also maintain the insurance so I am involved in anything major when a medical issue arrives.
                                The person I currently lease from is a trainer, but so far no luck. Bogey, I think we are very local to each other... can I shoot you a PM?

Comment

Originally posted by blue_heron View Post

The person I currently lease from is a trainer, but so far no luck. Bogey, I think we are very local to each other... can I shoot you a PM?
                                  of course!

Comment

Working...
                                  X