Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Reputable dealers in Europe to buy young horse from

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #21
    SAB Roni4444

    Some smaller/moderate size US breeders (who have websites or are on Facebook) that come to mind for having really nice quality (movement and brains) youngsters are:

    Timbach Farm, KC Dunn (Indiana, near KY border)
    Rolling Stone Farm, Mo Swanson (PA)
    Maplewood Farm, Jen Vanover (NY)
    Windy Ridge Farm, Judy Reggio (PA)
    Majestic Gaits, Kathy Hickerson (NH)
    Windmill Farms, Jennifer Zauel (IL)
    Imajica, Liz and Madeleine Austin (VT)
    Lio Lomas, Deborah Harrison (CA)
    Shooting Star Farm, Scot Tolman (NH)

    Now this list is mostly Dutch...since that is the breed I am most familiar with...but I am sure other people can chime in with more breeder names/other breeds. The amazing thing about networking with a breeder, is they will help you connect to other breeders. When I went to look at a weanling last year, the breeder showed me all of her weanlings/yearlings...then took me to another local breeder to see his young stock, AND placed a call to another breeder to see what she had available. Even though that meant risking I wouldn't buy from her...she was happy to support any of the breeders in her network. (In the end, I bought one of her yearlings! And I absolutely love him!).

    Here is the KWPN-NA Breeder's Directory...https://kwpn-na.org/breeding/kwpn-na...ers-directory/ I am sure other breed organizations have similar information on their sites.

    Comment


      #22
      SAB, this horse is on the west coast. The breeder has a number of young horses, all very nice. The quality is here in the U.S.; it's too bad the geography and distance make it difficult to shop! (For the record, this is not my horse.)

      https://horses4yc.com/searchResult.p...frGZ-PXJVT-JJ0

      Comment


        #23
        Originally posted by Lucassb View Post
        I know you said you did not want to work with an agent, but I have gotten my last two youngsters through Amy Doran at Supreme Sport Horses and it was an excellent experience both times. My newest guy is the one in my profile pic here. They were honestly represented and reasonably priced.
        I saw an interesting horse they were offering and was going to be nearby. I tried to make an appointment to try the horse, and Amy replied, Oh I thought you would buy off video, then crickets. I was not able to make an appointment to see the horse. I would have happily paid her cut if I bought the horse. Also saw her commandeering some ads from another agent I trusted around the same time and learned there was some drama there. All of it turned me off completely from doing business with them.

        I spent a couple of years networking and developing relationships with some European horse sellers (primarily looking at hunter prospects), some through various connections here and some on my own or through referrals over there. First shopping trip was a bust due to failed vettings but was invaluable in what I learned about who to deal with and who was better at scouting for quality and making good assessments and matches. Second shopping trip, I saw many fewer horses but really could have bought a lot of them and been satisfied. It did help to have met some people in person on the first trip for them to get to know better what I was looking for. Sometimes people in the US ask me to scout for them via my contacts. I will just say that remember when you are looking at dealers and resale agents, even the most honest and best ones are still salesmen of course. Same as in the US. And, many of the best deals and best quality horses are sold privately. You need to get on their contacts to get notified of the "unlisted" stock.

        Comment


          #24
          Originally posted by IPEsq View Post

          I saw an interesting horse they were offering and was going to be nearby. I tried to make an appointment to try the horse, and Amy replied, Oh I thought you would buy off video, then crickets. I was not able to make an appointment to see the horse. I would have happily paid her cut if I bought the horse. Also saw her commandeering some ads from another agent I trusted around the same time and learned there was some drama there. All of it turned me off completely from doing business with them.

          I spent a couple of years networking and developing relationships with some European horse sellers (primarily looking at hunter prospects), some through various connections here and some on my own or through referrals over there. First shopping trip was a bust due to failed vettings but was invaluable in what I learned about who to deal with and who was better at scouting for quality and making good assessments and matches. Second shopping trip, I saw many fewer horses but really could have bought a lot of them and been satisfied. It did help to have met some people in person on the first trip for them to get to know better what I was looking for. Sometimes people in the US ask me to scout for them via my contacts. I will just say that remember when you are looking at dealers and resale agents, even the most honest and best ones are still salesmen of course. Same as in the US. And, many of the best deals and best quality horses are sold privately. You need to get on their contacts to get notified of the "unlisted" stock.
          Yep, I remember when you reached out to me and were frustrated about not being able to get an appointment to see that horse Amy listed. She's definitely an agent / marketing person and not set up to handle that kind of in person test drive, for sure. I generally buy my horses as green broke youngsters so sitting on them isn't a priority; that's just my approach and I get that it doesn't suit everyone. If I were looking for made horses it likely wouldn't work for me either.



          **********
          We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
          -PaulaEdwina

          Comment


            #25
            Well, I dealt with several other marketing agents who were at least willing to direct me to their partner who had the horse. I'm perfectly capable of scheduling myself and do not need the kind of agent who drives you around the countrysides of Europe.

            On my last trip I even did a favor for a US based agent to take a detour to go look at a horse they were interested in to market, but they weren't too familiar with the owners. That horse looked pretty good on the videos. In real life, it was rank, lame, had a major defect (very noticeable dropped fetlock), and all that at only 4 yrs old. Agent decided not to market that one. Turned out to be a late evening but a worthwhile side trip because the person connecting agent to that horse had me come try their personal horse before going to see that one, and first horse I liked a lot and the people were nice. Also found some great food in a town I would not have visited otherwise.

            I get not being able to hold a horse for someone to come try it if you have a video buyer ready to wire money, but refusing to let someone see a horse for sale? Shady. And not making me inclined to buy off video from them in the future.

            Comment


              #26
              Originally posted by IPEsq View Post
              Well, I dealt with several other marketing agents who were at least willing to direct me to their partner who had the horse. I'm perfectly capable of scheduling myself and do not need the kind of agent who drives you around the countrysides of Europe.

              On my last trip I even did a favor for a US based agent to take a detour to go look at a horse they were interested in to market, but they weren't too familiar with the owners. That horse looked pretty good on the videos. In real life, it was rank, lame, had a major defect (very noticeable dropped fetlock), and all that at only 4 yrs old. Agent decided not to market that one. Turned out to be a late evening but a worthwhile side trip because the person connecting agent to that horse had me come try their personal horse before going to see that one, and first horse I liked a lot and the people were nice. Also found some great food in a town I would not have visited otherwise.

              I get not being able to hold a horse for someone to come try it if you have a video buyer ready to wire money, but refusing to let someone see a horse for sale? Shady. And not making me inclined to buy off video from them in the future.
              Again, different business models work for different people. I get that you were offended that this agent didn't do what you wanted, but I personally wouldn't label someone shady as a result. YMMV.
              **********
              We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
              -PaulaEdwina

              Comment


                #27
                I've had good luck buying directly from a breeder in Canada.
                Try warmblood-sales.com and search Canada. The breeders association also has an auction every October, but who knows if it will happen this year.

                Comment


                  #28
                  Dr. Andrea Sieg of Westphalians for USA. She will doubtlessly point you in the right direction.

                  She is a vet and the US-Agent for the Westphalian State Stud in Warendorf, Germany.
                  Last edited by Annie Burton; Jun. 18, 2020, 08:44 AM.

                  Comment


                    #29
                    Originally posted by Lucassb View Post

                    Again, different business models work for different people. I get that you were offended that this agent didn't do what you wanted, but I personally wouldn't label someone shady as a result. YMMV.
                    I was not offended. I just stopped contacting her about horses. Having had a friend who bought off video and not only did a different horse show up but it was an unbroke 3yo and although she had paid an all inclusive price including shipping, shippers had not been paid and her horse was held basically in escrow at a different barn for a while until she could come up with a few more thousand dollars. So, I do particularly like putting eyes on a horse if someone I don’t personally know is marketing it. In this case, it turned out someone had impersonated a more well known dealer online.
                    Last edited by IPEsq; Jun. 18, 2020, 11:17 PM. Reason: Typo

                    Comment


                      #30
                      Originally posted by IPEsq View Post

                      I was not offended. I just stopped contacting her about horses. Having had a friend who bought off video and not only did a different horse show up but it was an unbroke 3yo and although she had paid an all inclusive price including shipping, shippers had not been paid and her horse was held basically in escrow at a different barn for a while until she could come up with a few more thousand dollars. So, I do particularly like putting eyes on a horse if someone I don’t personally know is marketing it. In this case, it turned out someone had impersonated a more well known dealer online.
                      And yet here you are still talking about it, LOL. To each their own.
                      **********
                      We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
                      -PaulaEdwina

                      Comment


                        #31
                        FWIW, Amy Doran of Supreme Sport Horses sources some of her horses from the barn of a guy in Germany I have known for nearly 20 years. I have pointed a couple of folks to him that saw horses there that we later learned were on the Supreme web site. And he was riding them in the videos, and it was definitely in his indoor riding hall.

                        Will also add that MANY agents source horses from the same locations throughout Europe--Supreme is certainly not the only outfit doing that. But that does perhaps explain why it is sometimes difficult to arrange try-outs through various agents. If the horse is not in their barn, they have to try to get a commitment from not only the buyer, but also from the seller or seller's agent that they won't be cut out of a deal. That can not only take time to set up, but it's also really hard to enforce verbal and even written agreements/contracts legally especially when buyer, seller, agent(s) are in different countries.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X